Chipotle is Giving Us Too Much Food

Options

Replies

• donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Chipotle recently opened in my area. I had my first grilled chicken burrito bowl. The guacamole was extra, but my goodness...I'm accustomed to getting 3-4 oz side cup of guacamole and I think what I got was a whole avocado! :bigsmile: I was not complaining, but I did divide my burrito bowl into 3 servings and counted it as a whole serving each time I entered it in MFP!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I was a Qdoba Guy... but after reading this thread. I feel that I am being"summoned"to Chipotle! :laugh:

Chipotle_zpsdbcc90dd.jpg
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't like to throw around the first world problems but... seriously... first world problems.

You realize that pretty much everything on this site is a first world problem, right?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I still haven't tried Chipotle :sad:

I actually wanted to try it out for the longest time. I do love Qdoba which I have been told is pretty much the same thing and I love Qdoba!
    Never had either but there is a Qdoba nearby.
    My mission this weekend to eat there.

If I may make a suggestion, try their chicken queso burritto, and Mexican gumbo with tortilla chips. Ask them to load them both up with cheese. Ya know, because... cheese!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't like to throw around the first world problems but... seriously... first world problems.

You realize that pretty much everything on this site is a first world problem, right?

Not really. Many people in the third world countries have issues of obesity. But not many people can complain about getting more food than they paid for...
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Knowing how much food you eat is . Important. Thank you. I try to only eat half. I also know certain things are more or less than recorded. I need a cripple bowl. Yum. Anything that is not pre assembled is going to be an estimate. It's ok I just try to choose wisely. Thanks next time . Ill know. Need to be extra careful.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is not just Chipotle. It is everywhere. Recommended servings sizes are smaller than people realize and hence overeating way more calories than most people need. Read labels and nutrition guidelines. I know it was an eye opener for me when I began here
    2-1/2 years ago.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This is just something people who eat out need to be aware of. This is not specific to Chipotle, but really.. anywhere. The calorie amount they give you is probably not on point.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

If I may make a suggestion, try their chicken queso burritto, and Mexican gumbo with tortilla chips. Ask them to load them both up with cheese. Ya know, because... cheese!

Roger that. Mmmmm can't wait
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    wish we had Chipotle in the UK other than London.
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you go on their website and create a chicken bowl with no cheese or sour cream, it will tell you that you are consuming 480 calories. However, this number is based on Chipotle employees putting one full serving of all your ingredients in the bowl. Unfortunately, many employees will put twice the amount of rice and 50% more meat than they are supposed to, so without you knowing, your bowl becomes a 800 calorie bowl that you recorded as a 480 calorie bowl.

Yup.

I've never been to chipotle, but I do love dining out. I usually ask for a box right off the bat. I put 1/2 of the food in the box before I even take a bite because most restaurants will serve about 4 servings per plate. If I get a diner burger my son and I usually share it (he's 3) and we're both more than satisfied.

The past few weeks I've started really focusing on enjoying my food bite by bite and realized it doesn't take much to fill me up when I stop and actually TASTE it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    You should be asking yourself "is Chipotle worth the risk?" and we all know the answer is a resounding "YES."

okqvxt.jpg

Qdoba is only acceptable because I have a card that has a buy one get one free entree for the remainder of the year (and it's like 3 miles from my house, and Chipotle is like 12-15 depending on which one I go to). :P

And now I want barbacoa. Thanks.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I hear ya on portion sizes varying! Honestly, the employees SHOULD just stick to what their company/trainers taught them to put into each meal. There are guidelines for a reason.

I work at a chinese restaurant in a mall near my house, and I am always irritated by these loud, fatass customers who yell at me to add extra of everything when I'm putting their bowls together, even though the regular portions are QUITE large already, /and/ they are not paying any extra for that extra sesame chicken, ect.

so, it's actually greedy customers that get portions doubled up past what they should be, past what you are supposed to be paying for/and logging in as calories.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.

So...what you're saying is what OP described as "overage" is likely SPOT ON measurements (esp. w/ the rice--you're SUPPOSED to get 2 scoops)? To the OP and others upset by this--please relax--your Chipotle is doing it RIGHT if they are giving you "extra" meat and rice!
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of a 6-minute documentary that examines the actual calories in foods. I always reference this documentary when I am preaching about Subway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/opinion/calorie-detective.html?smid=pl-share
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    The UK needs to hurry up and get all these mexican/south west chain places, I feel so left out.

Chipotle - London only
    Firebird - none
    Qdoba - none
    Moes - none
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I hear ya on portion sizes varying! Honestly, the employees SHOULD just stick to what their company/trainers taught them to put into each meal. There are guidelines for a reason.

I work at a chinese restaurant in a mall near my house, and I am always irritated by these loud, fatass customers who yell at me to add extra of everything when I'm putting their bowls together, even though the regular portions are QUITE large already, /and/ they are not paying any extra for that extra sesame chicken, ect.

so, it's actually greedy customers that get portions doubled up past what they should be, past what you are supposed to be paying for/and logging in as calories.

loud...fatass...greedy customers...

You must make a killing in tips!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

loud...fatass...greedy customers...

You must make a killing in tips!

Right?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    wish we had Chipotle in the UK other than London.

Thank you! I was feeling all left out, then it turns out there's one in the next street to my studio!

I try not to buy food out, but will have to make an exception for this!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The UK needs to hurry up and get all these mexican/south west chain places, I feel so left out.

Chipotle - London only
    Firebird - none
    Qudoba - none
    Moes - none

But we can't just go out and get "Toad in the hole" any time we feel like it in the Southeast US. LOL :drinker: