Chipotle is Giving Us Too Much Food

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I hear ya on portion sizes varying! Honestly, the employees SHOULD just stick to what their company/trainers taught them to put into each meal. There are guidelines for a reason.

I work at a chinese restaurant in a mall near my house, and I am always irritated by these loud, fatass customers who yell at me to add extra of everything when I'm putting their bowls together, even though the regular portions are QUITE large already, /and/ they are not paying any extra for that extra sesame chicken, ect.

so, it's actually greedy customers that get portions doubled up past what they should be, past what you are supposed to be paying for/and logging in as calories.

loud...fatass...greedy customers...

You must make a killing in tips!

Wow nice judgement.
    I'm actually a very, very sweet and bubbly person with every customer; people come back and are like "Heeey, I remember you, hi! :D"

but then there are the rude, loud, greedy people I'm talking about.
    I was once SWORN at by this very overweight woman who had demanded double meat, and when I quietly and politely explained it would be 2 dollars extra, she screamed at me to just "give me the god damn food and shut up"
    I'm not exaggerating.
    these are the joys of customer service, no matter how sweet I try to be. :/
    so thanks for judging me by what I say on a message board and would NEVER actually say at WORK.
    thanks.

I am only going by what you wrote.

Many of us here are either overweight or have been in the past. It is a joy to know that if we ask or have asked for extra on a sandwich what the server thinks of us.

I always ask for a few more onions on my sub...now I know that if I do...I am a loud...fatass...greedy person. I always ask nicely though.

Yes...I have worked food service...retail...and yes...people can be demanding...it is part of the job.

BTW Not all servers are perfect either...some are loud...some are over weight...I don't have a clue about if they are greedy however. I just know that sometimes they are not always pleasant...I tip accordingly.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Haha, this is an amusing thread. To the OP, if you want to sort this 'issue' I suggest you let Chipotle know, and I'm sure that would solve the problem quite quickly I imagine ;)
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I hear ya on portion sizes varying! Honestly, the employees SHOULD just stick to what their company/trainers taught them to put into each meal. There are guidelines for a reason.

I work at a chinese restaurant in a mall near my house, and I am always irritated by these loud, fatass customers who yell at me to add extra of everything when I'm putting their bowls together, even though the regular portions are QUITE large already, /and/ they are not paying any extra for that extra sesame chicken, ect.

so, it's actually greedy customers that get portions doubled up past what they should be, past what you are supposed to be paying for/and logging in as calories.

loud...fatass...greedy customers...

You must make a killing in tips!

Wow nice judgement.
    I'm actually a very, very sweet and bubbly person with every customer; people come back and are like "Heeey, I remember you, hi! :D"

but then there are the rude, loud, greedy people I'm talking about.
    I was once SWORN at by this very overweight woman who had demanded double meat, and when I quietly and politely explained it would be 2 dollars extra, she screamed at me to just "give me the god damn food and shut up"
    I'm not exaggerating.
    these are the joys of customer service, no matter how sweet I try to be. :/
    so thanks for judging me by what I say on a message board and would NEVER actually say at WORK.
    thanks.

I am only going by what you wrote.

Many of us here are either overweight or have been in the past. It is a joy to know that if we ask or have asked for extra on a sandwich what the server thinks of us.

I always ask for a few more onions on my sub...now I know that if I do...I am a loud...fatass...greedy person. I always ask nicely though.

Yes...I have worked food service...retail...and yes...people can be demanding...it is part of the job.

BTW Not all servers are perfect either...some are loud...some are over weight...I don't have a clue about if they are greedy however. I just know that sometimes they are not always pleasant...I tip accordingly.
    I was clearly venting about the RUDE, loud, nasty ones,
    not some polite person like yourself kindly asking for a little extra.

I'll be sweet as sugar and say, politely, "Sorry sir, it will be a few dollars extra, is that okay?"
    and these people I'm talking about will EXPLODE into angry, swearing rage and tell me it's unfair,
    as if /I/ make the rules.

also, I treat every customer very kindly even though I am not permitted to take tips, though I have been offered many tips before, which speaks of what a polite server I am.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there - we don't have a Chipotle in NZ - is it tasty food? Sounds as though it's something like a Subway where they fill it up from a range of containers. Hot food? What am I missing
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Hi there - we don't have a Chipotle in NZ - is it tasty food? Sounds as though it's something like a Subway where they fill it up from a range of containers. Hot food? What am I missing

It is delicious and offers some healthy options/ingredients for when you're out and about. They're well known for their barbacoa.

Personally, if I'm doing fast food Mexican. I'm doing Miguels Jr. It is awesome.

thumb_600.jpg?1377357188?1408847243
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that portions are a lot, but it is so delicious!

I order the chicken bowl every time, and I eat it in one setting and then for the rest of the day and even till night I feel like I have a lead balloon in my stomach but it is still so good!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I'll be sweet as sugar and say, politely, "Sorry sir, it will be a few dollars extra, is that okay?"
    and these people I'm talking about will EXPLODE into angry, swearing rage and tell me it's unfair,

also, I treat every customer very kindly even though I am not permitted to take tips, though I have been offered many tips before, which speaks of what a polite server I am.

rude, loud, fatass, nasty ... anymore adjectives you'd like to add to that ever growing list?

Seriously, you're a gem. (that was actually sarcasm) ... Pretty much what I'm seeing is that you are a bit self absorbed, and totally loud, rude and nasty. But hey, congrats on not being a "fatass"!
  • Katia_Quesadilla
    Katia_Quesadilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options

rude, loud, fatass, nasty ... anymore adjectives you'd like to add to that ever growing list?

Seriously, you're a gem. (that was actually sarcasm) ... Pretty much what I'm seeing is that you are a bit self absorbed, and totally loud, rude and nasty. But hey, congrats on not being a "fatass"!

Jeez louise, have you never needed to vent about tough customers at work? I completely understood what she was saying--you always encounter a few exceptionally rude, obnoxious people when working in the service industry, and ones who scream and swear at you for following the rules certainly fit the bill. Pointing out--on your own time, away from work--that they are such doesn't make you a bad person. Sheesh.

As for me, I'm now just depressed that Japan doesn't have much to offer in the way of Mexican food. Le sigh.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I go to Mad Mex in Australia for naked burritos, I ask them to go easy on the rice cheese and sour cream and add plenty of salad, that way its more likely to be under than over, but if I am a little low on calories for the day I just let them go nuts and add 100 extra, just in case :-)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has never been to Chipotle.

no, not alone....i've never been, either. For chain restaurants, I'm a Cheesecake Factory girl, and I KNOW the cals there are super high...but I still venture at my own risk every once in a while.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.

So...what you're saying is what OP described as "overage" is likely SPOT ON measurements (esp. w/ the rice--you're SUPPOSED to get 2 scoops)? To the OP and others upset by this--please relax--your Chipotle is doing it RIGHT if they are giving you "extra" meat and rice!

No. Not to knock the "I work at Chipotle" person, but EVERY single fast food joint has precise corporate regulations for serving size. Of course they do.

This does not, however, nullify human error or variance. Do any of you people even know anybody who works in fast food? It's typically populated with very young people, many of whom aren't exactly known for their precision. It's very easy, and common, for one person to serve you a bit more or less ice cream in your cup, cheese on your burrito, etc. All corporate companies are aware that no matter how precise they want the workers, they have to account for variables.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Jeez louise, have you never needed to vent about tough customers at work? I completely understood what she was saying--you always encounter a few exceptionally rude, obnoxious people when working in the service industry, and ones who scream and swear at you for following the rules certainly fit the bill. Pointing out--on your own time, away from work--that they are such doesn't make you a bad person. Sheesh.

As for me, I'm now just depressed that Japan doesn't have much to offer in the way of Mexican food. Le sigh.

It's a bit silly to use the word "fatass" on a weight loss forum and be surprised she didn't make many friends as a result. What other word is it okay to use just because you're "venting"?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I read, re-read, and read this post, and I'm still not seeing the issue.

Really? Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension. It's pretty straight forward. Chipoltle lists calorie counts for their food, he's simply pointing out that it's quite likely that what you're eating has more calories than what is listed.

I don't get why people want to reply in a rude or condescending way to a post like this. Some people might not be aware of this and it's a valid point. Doesn't stop me loving Chipotle or being completely happy to have them overload me with the guacomole but it's something to keep in mind.

It's just a no **** Sherlock Holmes moment is all. Eating food prepared by someone else is an excellent source of inaccuracy in logging. I thought a detail like that would be pretty hard to miss reading the forums but I suppose I guessed wrong
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Giving 1200 calorie portions when it's marked as 800 can be a problem.

Who really can tell by watching them make it if it's 1200 or 800? I know the web site gives the calories for each part but do you really memorize them and think, "Hm, the rice was marked 180 but it sure looked more like 260 in the scoop..." ?

If you aren't eating Chipotle every single day of your life, the 400 cal difference is negligible. Not to mention, food labeling in general can carry an extremely large error in it too.

Most Chipotle and Qdoba locations I have been to are extremely OCD about portion control. If you are that worried about it, eat somewhere else (with problem just as much error in their portions), make your own food, or only eat a portion of it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I typically keep my venting to people who actually might care about my rant, like my friends IRL, not a public forum with specific guidelines against insults, cursing, body shaming... etc.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I read, re-read, and read this post, and I'm still not seeing the issue.

Really? Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension. It's pretty straight forward. Chipoltle lists calorie counts for their food, he's simply pointing out that it's quite likely that what you're eating has more calories than what is listed.

I don't get why people want to reply in a rude or condescending way to a post like this. Some people might not be aware of this and it's a valid point. Doesn't stop me loving Chipotle or being completely happy to have them overload me with the guacomole but it's something to keep in mind.

It's just a no **** Sherlock Holmes moment is all. Eating food prepared by someone else is an excellent source of inaccuracy in logging. I thought a detail like that would be pretty hard to miss reading the forums but I suppose I guessed wrong

^^^^^^^

If someone goes to Chipotle, or similar establishment, and expects to get exact portions from fellow flawed human beings, and then come to a site to complain about it, they deserve to be fat.

It's not like Obama has taken away all of our perfectly labeled food and is shackling us up in camps and feeding us nothing but Chipotle in an effort to get us fat and burn us for fossil fuel. Get real, people!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Someone posts something helpful about logging accuracy and for that "they deserve to be fat?"

400 calories is negligible?

This place... so many interesting opinions. :ohwell:
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Someone posts something helpful about logging accuracy and for that "they deserve to be fat?"

THIS!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

No, what I said was "If someone goes to Chipotle, or similar establishment, and expects to get exact portions from fellow flawed human beings, and then come to a site to complain about it, they deserve to be fat."

If you are trying to be precise in measuring your food and doing everything right, don't go to Chipotle. And worse, don't freaking complain if you do.

Write a letter to the USDA about their liberal deviation allowance on nutrition labels if you want to be helpful. Pretty sure Chipotle isn't obligated to even provide calorie estimates. You go, you eat, you be happy, and you at least get a somewhat ballpark estimate. That's more than what you get a Jorge's House of Fried Lard Chimichangas.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just contacted Chipotle to verify how many servings of each item are supposed to go into a burrito bowl. I was shocked to find out that myself and most other people who eat at Chipotle have consumed way more calories than they are supposed to. The nutrition facts on a burrito bowl include one spoonful of any item that you add to the nutrition calculator. Unfortunately, many if not all Chipotle employees will double things like the rice, which would add an extra 180 calories. I've also noticed that they usually add an additional half spoon of the meats they offer. Next time you go to Chipotle, ask for only one spoonful of each item or you may be consuming way more calories than you planned.

Have you heard of stop eating and taking the remainder home for another day, or is your weight loss goal to complain to every restaurant that gives you "too" much food. Weight loss is about personal responsibility.

I find Chipotle servings use to be a lot more, now they are a lot smaller. I normally have: brown rice, black beans, green peppers, sweet corn, salsa and cheese. I normally ask for extra rice, beans and green peppers.