Tell us something about where you live?

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    San Diegoish, California.

There's an old nuclear generating station nearby, and they look like boobies.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I live near Cheddar Gorge where the cheese comes from :drinker:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Northern California, the edge of "silicon valley".

We have a drought.
  • Bageeeta
    Bageeeta Posts: 1,259 Member
    I got a little gravel in my travel...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    St. John's, Newfoundland - snowiest city in Canada and 2nd rainiest city in Canada.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    I live in a small town in East Tn. Last year, the liquor store referendum passed, and we got *three* count 'em, three liquor stores. We don't have a lot going for us.
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Melbourne, Australia- has apparently been named the world's most liveable city for the fourth year in a row, by the Economist Intelligence Unit's liveability survey.... but we have too many seasons in one day for my liking.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Southern California. We have great fish tacos.
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    It's a local place......for local people

There are 9 houses everyone knows what everyone does........well at least they think they do :wink:
  • AlaskaSusan
    AlaskaSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Alaska - visit family on Kodiak Island, the Kenai, the Matanuska Valley, and North Pole regularly. I live in the big town, Anchorage, with more wildlife than you can shake a fireweed at. Summer is ending, we will have snow on the mountains soon so I'm getting in all the snow-free runs I can before I change over to skis. Hmmm, might try snowshoes again this year. Best thing is the views of the ocean, the mountains, the forests, the glaciers, and enjoying the clean fresh air, never-before-used water, and how quickly I can get to quiet, secluded spaces ~
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I live in in paradise. When I feel low I think "Hmmm how many people saved all year to drive 1 mile east?"

Then I go to the beach and float. (sigh)
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    I live in St. Augustine, Florida...America's oldest city and home to the Fountain of Youth.
  • DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    Oklahoma! Takes a lot of flack for being "boring"... but I love it. OKC has come a loooong way. The people here are incredibly nice and the simplicity is much needed.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    I live in Brooklyn, NY. I was born and raised here and watched the borough go through many changes over the years. Brooklyn gets a bad reputation but it's a great place to be.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Las Vegas, Nevada..... party town USA :bigsmile:

Vegas can be seen from the International Space Station
    Some of the best roller coasters can be found here
    You can drive a Shelby Mustang through the Red Rock Canyon
    You can swim with sharks
    Great golf courses
  • Heart of Iowa.

Field of Dreams....

Our corn is gold. Really.

Home of Ashton Kutcher.

I live in the city of 5 seasons. We are so used to smelling cow and pig ****-it doesn't cross our mind until the out of town-ers comment on it.

We don't have earthquakes.

We don't have hurricanes or wild fires.

Just tornados...really big stinkin tornados.

We love everyone. :heart:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Rice with every meal. Tons of people. Crazy traffic. Nobody speaks my language. Perverted men trying to look up skirts.
  • It's really close to Chicago. That's about it
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    I live in a village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, the weather isn't always the greatest but the scenery is gorgeous. Some of the Game of Thrones scenes were filmed very close to where I live.

county-antrim.jpg
    county-antrim.jpg
    antrim-coast-road.jpg
    antrim-coast-road.jpg
    filename-087-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg
    county-antrim.jpg
    Northern-Ireland-location-from-Game-of-Thrones-Flickr-horslips5.jpg
    F7CA4738F9BE913791907A8848170_h498_w598_m2.jpg
    Game-of-Thrones-To-Be-Used-As-Attraction-for-Northern-Ireland-Tourism-406428-2.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I'm going with where I grew up.

Tensas Parish in NE LA. Most all of the coolest things have to do with the Mississippi River, though the union army did winter on the banks of Lake St. Joe near Newelton prior to the seige of Vicksburg.

The towns in the parish sit on high spots that typically avoided the annual river rises. The parish is named for the Tensas Indians and is bordered by the Tensas River to the west. Most of the parish seems to be farmland as the soil is some of the most fertile on earth.

One thing that is fascinating to me is the drainage of the parish. Even though the Mississippi is on the eastern edge, most of the parish actually drains west into the Tensas river once you get west of the natural levee (and the unnatural levee).

There are 4 public Mississippi River oxbows which are great for fishing and recreation. Lake St. John and Lake Bruin are both "outside the levee" lakes that maintain a near constant water level and have excellent water quality. Lake St. Joseph is a similar lake, but due to a much higher drainage basin, is shallow with lower water quality than Bruin or St. John. Lake Yucatan is an "inside" the levee oxbow and is influenced by the Mississippi River at higher river levels. This lake was actually the main channel of the river as of the Civil War as it has submerged rock dikes (used to increase the depth of the channel for boat traffic) and submerged steam boat docks. This lake and the private lakes of somerset are a testiment to the wild and sometimes unpredictable nature of a mighty river such as the Mississippi.