Women prefer bellies over 6-packs

Options

Replies

• Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Does this work in reverse? I'm a girl with a 6-pack (okay, more like a 4-pack, but whatevs); does this mean my personality automatically sucks, I'm obsessive, I cheat, and I don't make time for my family? :huh:

Of course it does. Quit being such a biotch and have a cookie.

Chocolate chunk, I hope. If not, this discussion is over. :huh:

You are so demanding! It's gotta be the abs. Fine, I'll get right on it :tongue:

This is why I love you. And those 2 other very important reasons, of course.

Yes...my charming personality and my rapier wit :tongue:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    That extra time available for fat dudes that don't use the gym will eventually be offset by impaired mobility and death from things like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Does this work in reverse? I'm a girl with a 6-pack (okay, more like a 4-pack, but whatevs); does this mean my personality automatically sucks, I'm obsessive, I cheat, and I don't make time for my family? :huh:

You are so demanding! It's gotta be the abs. Fine, I'll get right on it :tongue:

Is that what you've named the girls? I thought they were Lady and the Tramp. :tongue:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't say I am surprised by these results, but was this a scientific study or a survey? Does anyone have a link to the actual study?

Survey of British women it seems like:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2742294/Mr-Darcy-beats-Bond-battle-bodies-British-women-date-man-love-handles-six-pack.html
    An overwhelming 96 per cent of women think a dinner date with an abs-obsessed man would be dull.

Almost three quarters - 72 per cent - would rather the date was with a chubbier fella so that they would feel more able to indulge in dessert.

Of those in a relationship, 94 per cent say they love their man just as he is even if he has piled on a few extra pounds.

Again, the vast majority - 91 per cent - of women would rather their man spent 'couple' time with them than pumped iron.

Almost as many - 82 per cent - would never nag their other half to work out or diet to improve their physique.

Exactly three quarters would rather be hugged by a flabby fella than a gym-hardened muscleman.

And 74 per cent admit they would feel self-conscious taking their clothes off in front of a perfectly toned man.

I think this all sounds perfectly reasonable. And I think the quotes below are the reason.

"But while they may admire the actor's physique as James Bond, it seems they wouldn't want to date such a muscular man in real life."

"Most women worry about their bodies, so we know the hard work and dedication that goes into getting a buff, toned body."

A man with a perfect body has probably restricted his diet and alcohol intake and spends hours in the gym. All this suggests he's not going to be much fun as a partner."

I am not suggesting that every man, or even any man, with a 6-pack is not fun!! But a six pack doesn't doesn't come easy and women know it. I think the assumption that a guy with a little more fat = more fun on a day-to-day basis is not uncommon.
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If the person is in it for the long haul, they have to care more about personality than looks. Bodies change, we get old, even among bodybuilders there is a cut/bulk cycle. No one has a 6-pack ALL the time. We all have bloated days etc.

It's a good thing.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    dunno about a beer belly but I prefer a natural smooth look to the silly six pack look. I think sixpacks are more for men for other men. I've never been attracted to that. the implied vanity is also unattractive. yeah.. sixpacks meh. big meh.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that if this was a thread by a chubby guy complaining about how he doesn't have a six pack and can't meet women everyone would be chanting the typical "confidence is all that matters" BS. Since the OP has a six pack and is posting something somewhat anti-six pack we're all getting the chorus of "but six packs are really really important" posts.

. . .

What thread are you reading? :huh: Half the responses have been affirming that we don't care about a 6-pack.

^agree

Nah, we are still claiming we prefer personality to looks.

Which is fine.

However the survey isn't really about personality over looks.

It is about the perception of men's personalities based on nothing but looks. Which is pretty sucky.
  • astartig
    Options
    That extra time available for fat dudes that don't use the gym will eventually be offset by impaired mobility and death from things like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.

Just because someone doesn't have a six pack or is massively ripped doesn't mean they're out of shape or have impaired mobility or any health problems.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Oh come now! Not having a six pack does not always = obesity or poor health.
  • Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Is that what you've named the girls? I thought they were Lady and the Tramp. :tongue:

Okay that just made me laugh.

Um no, they're Sunshine and Happiness
  • astartig
    Options
    I'm guessing that if this was a thread by a chubby guy complaining about how he doesn't have a six pack and can't meet women everyone would be chanting the typical "confidence is all that matters" BS. Since the OP has a six pack and is posting something somewhat anti-six pack we're all getting the chorus of "but six packs are really really important" posts.

. . .

What thread are you reading? :huh: Half the responses have been affirming that we don't care about a 6-pack.

^agree

Nah, we are still claiming we prefer personality to looks.

Which is fine.

However the survey isn't really about personality over looks.

It is about the perception of men's personalities based on nothing but looks. Which is pretty sucky.

imho it's only a small part of it. the perception of personality based on a physical aspect that the person has chosen to enhance, IS indeed indicative of at least one personality trait. Narcissism. being in shape or being fit or caring about yourself is entirely different than the hours at the gym needed to achieve the kind of cut we're talking about.. but beyond that.. at a more basic level.. it isn't a good look. it's not attractive. even if we are just talking eye candy.. I don't think super cut men are generally all that. never did. Some muscle is great but not muscle man ripped type muscles. it's just not attractive.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Just because someone doesn't have a six pack or is massively ripped doesn't mean they're out of shape or have impaired mobility or any health problems.

Chit chat threads are not serious.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Deleted because someone said it better in a shorter sentance :wink:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Oh come now! Not having a six pack does not always = obesity or poor health.

The OP referenced "big bellies" and "beer bellies", not just undefined / non-6 pack stomachs. If you have a big gut hanging down over your belt line, I would suggest that there are health problems on the horizon for you...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

. . .

LOL I'd say the opposite. Most of the posts are basically saying non-six pack guys are only getting dates because women are fat or insecure.

I think you may be misreading that. Maybe that is the case for some, maybe not. People are attracted to those they feel comfortable with. If someone is insecure in their size, they may not feel comfortable with someone who is built like adonis... they may worry that their lack of fitness makes them unattractive or unappealing. Regardless of gender.

I have ab definition, but have never dated or been with anyone who has one. Why? Because I choose to date the MAN, not the body, and I don't lift up their shirts to see what's under before I engage in conversation. It's not on my list of "must haves" in a man.

Is it nice? Sure. Is it necessary. Hell to the no.

Many of the responses I've seen in this thread have said that too.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like guys with bellies because they are less likely to cheat on me or leave me for someone who is fit.

What study is that based on?

They asked 100 women who only date married men they met at the gym. Duh.
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    I've read a few studies over the years that many women are unconsciously attracted to men who have similar personalities/traits as their fathers. Many fathers (not all of course) have bellies so perhaps it ties in a little to the studies already posted.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    82% of all statistics are made up
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    6 pack or no 6 pack, I don't care. It's not really up there in the most attractive traits for me. My preferences are an attractive face, and quite big guys (tall, stocky, muscle) This could mean they have a belly / little extra body fat, or they could have well defined abs. All is good, as long as they're healthy. Being strong is a preference too, which again, does not equal lean or otherwise.

I also don't make judgements on a guy's personality based on what he looks like. There are people I know who act like complete *kitten*, and they aren't close to fit or ripped, but some of the nicest guy's I've met are really into fitness/lifting, and vice versa. It's very individual.
    However I'd totally pick Seth Rogan over Zac Effron. I mean, really.

Me too! I thought I'd be the odd one out there, haha!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That's the dumbest study I've ever heard then again it's from Fox.

That comment might have something to do with anything if Fox had conducted the survey. This was a simple news piece that happened to be reported by Fox.