Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    And. . . rage quit

Well I for one, am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that the OP would quit a site when things didn't go her way
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow I guess nobody here has ever been late! Wow nice attitude people real understanding. So every time you go some place you never hit a red light or have traffic problems. Nothing stops you guys from getting some place on time. Wow I thought everyone here was nice, but I guess I just found the group of jerks.

I can't recall ever being 15 minutes late for a class at the gym, and I've taken plenty. Were I that late I'd probably skip it and occupy myself elsewhere in the gym so as not to disrupt those on time.

Kinda like being late in college? Where the professor would shut the door at a certain point as a sign to gtfo because coming in would be a distraction?

+1

I have been late often. I can get stuck at work a lot. I would simply not go to the class.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of Martial Arts.

If you show up late, as happens to all of us at one point or another, you show humility. You wait at the edge of the mats for Sensei/Sifu/Sabumnim/etc to acknowledge you. At which point you respectfully request permission to join the group. You will then probably be asked to warm up to the side, and possibly be disciplined with additional exercises. You may also be told to leave and come back next lesson. If you aren't acknowledged at all, well, you're SOL. It's sensei's prerogative to teach you a lesson and make you wait. It may seem a little corny, but some will test a student's commitment in this way. Especially if you are relatively new and already started turning up late. At that point, you need to make a decision about whether this is a lifestyle you wish to buy in to.

Regardless of how you think Muay Thai is 'categorized' it is a martial art and discipline is a key component. It's not zumba.

Tho. I've seen people be late for Zumba and get lolignored. But they're usually decent enough to understand they're at fault and wait for the instructor to acknowledge them.

so not even at Zumba is the OP in the right. Not even at Zumba
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I used to be an instructor for technical classes. Students who were late got little notice from me, quite deliberately, because it lets them know that being late is unacceptable.
    So does talking like an adult. The silent treatment is for babies. If you are an adult you talk to people. Sound like your and @#$.

*popcorn*
  • DavPul
    Options
    Wow I guess nobody here has ever been late! Wow nice attitude people real understanding. So every time you go some place you never hit a red light or have traffic problems. Nothing stops you guys from getting some place on time. Wow I thought everyone here was nice, but I guess I just found the group of jerks.

Do you often make blanket assumptions about large groups of people that you don't know?

How is that working for you so far?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    And. . . rage quit

Well I for one, am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that the OP would quit a site when things didn't go her way

Well, it was completely and totally out of character, and nothing OP has ever done before would give any indication of such behavior.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I used to be an instructor for technical classes. Students who were late got little notice from me, quite deliberately, because it lets them know that being late is unacceptable.
    So does talking like an adult. The silent treatment is for babies. If you are an adult you talk to people. Sound like your and @#$.

And here I was, assuming that you were a nice person. I just got yolked
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options

If you show up late, as happens to all of us at one point or another, you show humility. You wait at the edge of the mats for Sensei/Sifu/Sabumnim/etc to acknowledge you. At which point you respectfully request permission to join the group. You will then probably be asked to warm up to the side, and possibly be disciplined with additional exercises. You may also be told to leave and come back next lesson. If you aren't acknowledged at all, well, you're SOL. It's sensei's prerogative to teach you a lesson and make you wait. It may seem a little corny, but some will test a student's commitment in this way. Especially if you are relatively new and already started turning up late. At that point, you need to make a decision about whether this is a lifestyle you wish to buy in to.

Regardless of how you think Muay Thai is 'categorized' it is a martial art and discipline is a key component. It's not zumba.

This. ^ Works this way in every dojo I've ever been in. If I were 15 minutes late to a one-hour class, I would probably not even go in, as I think it's disrespectful to the instructor. It says that your time is more important than his, or that of all the other students who managed to show up on time.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

This is very interesting. To consider the seriousness of the class, and that it is not zumba. To honour and respect what you were (supposed to be) there to learn about. I think making an individual stand at the end of the mat until the end teaches more to a person than just "letting them join in". A hard lesson that time, others and the entire world does not revolve around OP...or anyone. Your late - your late. Move on. Or stand at the end of the mat to own up.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I took dance lessons for about 20 years. Around middle/high school lateness became a big deal. If you were that late you either weren't allowed in or you had to warm up on your own. Almost everyone was early because no one wanted to be on the teacher's bad side.

I also taught dance and being that late was a no-no. You miss out on the warm ups, which are vital, and any important announcements made at the start.

If I was 15 minutes late I would just not go. Or I'd do my own warm up and apologize when the instructor got to me.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The OP is angry because her kids have ruined her model looks and her husband is probably sleeping with the instructor. The OP is in the wrong and is a bad person.........End of discussion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It isnt a fitness class. Its a full contact muay thai training. Where the instructor goes one by one to each partner and teaches them to their level. So it is not like i interuppted her class. Please read the 1st post.

It's a martial art class, please treat it as one.

Not a martial art nor a martial arts class. Its a boxing gym and is a sport.

Muay Thai is a martial art. As is boxing at it's core.

Nope. http://www.blackbeltmag.com/category/muay-thai/

Because the distinction/semantic is important and make all the difference!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    And. . . rage quit

Oop, that'll teach me to read only the first page of a thread before I post in it!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I took a boxing class, two girls came in about 10-15 mins late. He told them they can join in but will just have to wait as we who were there on time will get priority. Also told them don't bother coming again if they are going to be late next time.

I made sure to NEVER be late, LOL

21525558.png
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Probably best to just find something else to do.

This^^
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    It isnt a fitness class. Its a full contact muay thai training. Where the instructor goes one by one to each partner and teaches them to their level. So it is not like i interuppted her class. Please read the 1st post

I know OP rage quit but I thought I would throw in my .02 for the people who think it's crazy for OP to be on time.

If the instructor is going around teaching 2 people to their own level it was extra important that the OP be on time so she could be paired with someone at a similar level. A late arrival might require everyone to get a new partner.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It's probably for the best. Combat sports and hypersensitivity don't generally mix well.

^^^ True
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Right but I apologized...What is her issue since the beginning? Ive been to several classes and never had an instructor so arrogant.

Since we weren't there, how can we tell? YOU, however, seem to have kind of an attitude and excuses at the ready. Who cares if she has a problem? Stop making excuses, show up on time, get your workout, and leave. She's not there to be your buddy, she's there to lead the group fitness class. She's SUPPOSED to be confident and kind of pushy. What good is a trainer that's wishy washy and just accepts an excuse? Her JOB is to not accept excuses and to make you perform your best.

^^This - you're lucky it wasn't Jillian Michaels you were dealing with...she would have screamed her head off, chewed you up, and spit you out...and you want your 20 bucks back...?? That's kinda rude.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As a high school teacher, it is really disruptive when my students come late. To discourage lateness, I will not extend normal courtesies to the late person in order to set classroom policies and procedures. It's part of classroom management. You put yourself on your teacher's *kitten* list. If you want to redeem yourself, attend the class with a low profile and do the exercises without demanding that your instructor stop everything to fix your issues. Maybe she'll give you another chance.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You can't show up for a boxing class late, because you're having to interact with others that are already there and paired up. Everyone has their spot and a partner at 15 minutes into a class.

As far as your posture, most women have kids and don't use them as an excuse and that probably irritated her.

If you like the class go back, show up on time, and no excuses when she tells you to do something. Otherwise find some other exercise you like to do, that doesn't require a time to show up.
This discussion has been closed.