Women prefer bellies over 6-packs

Options

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Ok. So....with pages and pages of responses and most of the women claiming they don't care about a belly as long as the guy isn't a jerk (essentially), and guys mostly pooh poohing that idea because that's not their experience...I'm sensing a major disconnect.

Are the women on here lying and only dating fit guys?

Are the guys on here seeing evidence (IRL) they are being passed over in favor of more fit brethren? Are women making you raise your shirts before they date you?

I don't believe its option number 3 and all the guys on here are jerks... some of you are on my FL!

Or are we dealing with a perception vs. reality issue and guys are accepted whatever the belly size, but they don't feel that way because....?

Or is there another reason for the disconnect?
  • theonepercentile
    Options
    good thing i dont lift for women
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ok. So....with pages and pages of responses and most of the women claiming they don't care about a belly as long as the guy isn't a jerk (essentially), and guys mostly pooh poohing that idea because that's not their experience...I'm sensing a major disconnect.

Are the women on here lying and only dating fit guys?

Are the guys on here seeing evidence (IRL) they are being passed over in favor of more fit brethren? Are women making you raise your shirts before they date you?

I don't believe its option number 3 and all the guys on here are jerks... some of you are on my FL!

Or are we dealing with a perception vs. reality issue and guys are accepted whatever the belly size, but they don't feel that way because....?

Or is there another reason for the disconnect?

Well I feel that when people take care of their health which correlates to body image that they want someone who does the same.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Lifting to achieve what women consider an "ideal physique" is an exercise in futility. Don't do it.

But let us be reality, the belly preference over 6 packs is not based on any sort of objective thought.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Perhaps three out of four women prefer the belly. However, I don't really care about pleasing three out of four women. Honestly, there is only one woman whose opinion I care about.

I had the belly. It looked a lot like my dad's belly. I didn't care for it. It was getting in the way of what I wanted to do, including bending over and doing sit ups. I felt like that belly was becoming a threat to my health. I wanted it gone. I did something about it.

If some women want the guy to have a keg for a belly, there are plenty of guys who are able to oblige. I would rather be trim and have a little definition. To each their own.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    While I'm not attracted to the guys on bodybuilding mags and such (that look does nothing for me), being that I run and stay active, I prefer a man reasonably fit and active, but certainly doesn't have to be a bodybuilder. On the other hand...a beer belly...nah, not for me. Your average joe doe with some tone and muscle, just not over the top is fine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer a belly over a six pack. But, it's not a requirement either. Most men don't have a six pack. Other things are more important to me. But, sure it looks good. I might not be attracted to the guy for other reasons. I'm not going to wrongly judge a guy based on what his abs do or don't look like.
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh the stereotype. I can totally relate. I used to think good looking (means reaped) guys are all about one night stand and not nice. This perspective of me changed when I decided to take my chance and have a conversation with a man who not only has six packs but buff else where, goes to gym, maintains a healthy diet. Turns out he had an awesome personality and the *kitten* I was thinking of. Even better, I'm dating one who is even more health conscious than the first guy. Super nice and sweet. I LOVE it! My favorite is when I get to hug him and feel his abs. haha. I guess he's also a big inspiration.
  • rachelesmfp
    Options
    Even fat partners/husbands cheat. True story.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Does this mean guys with 6-packs are having a hard time getting dates??? Because I am willing to take one for the team ladies!

me too, me too
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    3 out of 4 women are liars
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    if that were true my life would be significantly more interesting
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    if that were true my life would be significantly more interesting

I like what you're puttin out...including that shirt!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think a bit of a reality check is due. Several, many...(most?) women on here have stated that they have dated a guy with a six pack...really? A guy can start to develop abs at say 15%...very blurry. At 10% many guys can have a pretty solid 4 pack, but a 6 pack usually (key word here guys, always exceptions) takes a guy at or below 7%BF. I know this because I compete against these guys.

Now how many 7% or lower guys are walking around? Well, naturally, if they are clothed, you can't tell. But I recently return from a 3 week trip to Hawaii. I visited 4 island and most of the major beaches. So I saw thousands of guys without shirts on and I can easily count on two hands the guys that had a legit six pack. In the past few years I've traveled throughout asia, including the popular beaches of Thailand. Again, seldom see guys with six packs. And my home station is Florida...again, on any given day at the beach you may, and I stress may see a guy or two with a legit six pack on a very crowded beach.

So when I read these posts where these ladies are saying they've dated guys with six packs, I'm very skeptical. Sure you may have dated a guy without a beer belly, very lean but a true blue six pack?

And to add to that, a guy that has a six pack is either genetically a freak or works out a LOT or could be rather skinning of course. If he is one of the first two, he probably is dating a lady equal to his own level of fitness. You can draw the obvious second conclusion I have from this observation.

And as a caveat, this is my own observations.

I would fully agree- with someone who has a completely unflexed well defined six pack- probably isn't dating someone who isn't into fitness themselves.

But most people would easily lump a soft 6 pack into that category as well- most.

I've honestly never dated anyone with anything remotely close to a six pack- I've never even seriously dated anyone who was really serious about fitness (WTF is up with that) but if I were to start over- it would be a higher priority.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been with a guy with a serious 6 pack, he was majorly into fitness, and I have no idea why he was into me because I was the exact opposite, and I hated to be fully nude in front of him! haha Guys a little softer and chubby tend to get my vote because I am able to be comfortable around them. I hate feeling like I have to cover my flab and have fun with the lights off because of how insecure I am. So....understandable I suppose.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If this were true then there wouldn't be as big a push on guys to hit the gym so much, and reality would be a whole different story.

I've only ever met a small handful of couples where the woman was thin or fit with a guy with a belly in all my life. Its rare enough that it will turn peoples' heads in public. At least over here. If this survey was done in the UK then that is definitely more believable, but at least over where I am that's a fairy tale.

It seems in my experience that people get with people that are identical or near identical in fitness level.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If this were true then there wouldn't be as big a push on guys to hit the gym so much, and reality would be a whole different story.

I've only ever met a small handful of couples where the woman was thin or fit with a guy with a belly in all my life. Its rare enough that it will turn peoples' heads in public. At least over here. If this survey was done in the UK then that is definitely more believable, but at least over where I am that's a fairy tale.

It seems in my experience that people get with people that are identical or near identical in fitness level.

interestingly enough... when a similar poll has been made for men, a lot of the men say they like a woman in the 25% body fat range, and yet, many women feel the pressure to be in the high teens. Why? Is it the men pressuring us? Is it society pushing us to fit a certain mold? Is it our own perceptions of what we think is attractive and our feelings that we don't fit the bill?

based on what I've seen... I'm leaning towards the last statement.

If you have a great personality, the body is less important. I know many women who are in great shape and their hubbies not so much, and the opposite holds true.
  • athleteguy777
    Options
    Ima call bulshhart on that my boy.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You're more approachable when you're average shaped than in shape. If you're in shape it's like us approaching a really sexy girl...we would be scared to.
  • Ive been lucky enough that 80% of the men I have had in my life either dated or in a relationship with have been very fit or have had a ‘soft’ four or six pack as I see some people here call it, That’s what I like in preference. I am not sure what I would choose if I had to pick between the two…
    A guy that has a defined six pack without needing to flex looks very good to the eye but I wonder if during cuddling do I want an overly hard body all the time??? I don’t like big bellies though, even though the guy I'm seeing has a small beer belly at the moment but it was due to inactivity because of recovery of a minor sprain, but once he’s back to normal, all he’s got to do is run for two weeks and it will be gone… (guys could shed pounds running much quicker than chicks, no fair!)
    It’s a hard decision because they are two ends of a spectrum. I like guys somewhere in the middle..
    My obsession is arms and shoulders, I like the guns. Watching guys do pull ups and push ups is a turn on! Lol… anyway, I guess I like a guy with nice abs but doesn’t have to be washboard status…
    So at the end of the day... I'm UNDECIDED... :happy: