Got called Fatty :(

Options

Replies

• BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I remember getting whistled at when I was nine years old. It was really terrifying, and that plus many future catcalls were part of the reason I have always been ambivalent about losing weight. I like my armor you know. I think though your post makes me realize, they are not objective, selective, or even rational these haters. They are just trying to find someone they see as weak: maybe old, maybe fat, maybe young, and they pick on them to make themselves feel better. Some people just aren't worth their air you know. I am so jealous of your forty pounds. You're doing a fabulous job. You better keep striding or I might catch up. ; )

every word you just wrote hit home with me!!!

Paula, you MUST develop a thick skin during this fight to lose weight so as not to be detered by some lamea** motherf***er who doesn't give a sh** about you or your struggles. He's mentally and emotionally stunted as well as cruel and heartless to even for a second feel it's acceptable to behave this way towards another person. Don't waste your time trying to figure him out or how you could have looked differently in order not to have drawn his unwanted attention. It just doesn't matter in the end. He doesn't matter. No one matters, but YOU!!! You are wonderful, strong, brave, determined, and able to be the person you want to be simply by remaining focused on YOU and not others who certainly do not have your best interests at heart. Dig deep to let these unkind words fall off and never penetrate your heart again!!! You can do this, Paula :-)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What a sad person. You know, miserable people will say whatever they think is going to hurt you. It's a little victory for someone who feels like a big time loser. It really says more about them than it does about you.

I was called "fat and stringy" - whatever the hell that means - by some random guy who felt slighted when I wasn't interested. The funny thing is, my BMI is 20. I'm lean, fit and healthy. His comment made me laugh out loud. I'm sure he thought I'd be all broken-hearted about being called fat (as many women are sensitive about their weight) so it's probably just his standard put down. It just made him look foolish and unoriginal.

Calling someone fat or fatty is so cliche, even if it's "technically" true. Douche bags yelling crap out windows at random strangers should be ignored - always. You should feel sorry for him. What a punk.

Congrats on all that mileage! Keep it up! :drinker:
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It happens. Mostly people have been friendly when I'm out there walking, doin' the best I can. But the other day I got honked at and this guy slowed down to literally point and laugh... I was upset at first, but then I thought about it. First, he was fatter than me, so I'm betting I reminded him of what he should be doing. Secondly, yeah, I'm fat. And when I'm working out, I'm sweaty and fat. All my jiggling butt wibble wobbling with every step is out there in yoga pants for the world to see. But I have a good heart, a determined spirit, and I'm making efforts to make myself better than what I am. That guy is drowning in his own garbage. He's so deep in it that's all he sees...and that's sad.

He laughed at me, but I feel bad for him.

And that's how you gotta see anyone who puts you down. You're out there making an effort to improve yourself, but someone who's trying to drag others down can't do that. Pity the jerks, but don't let them deter you.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This is why I run with headphones in and sunglasses on. So I have an excuse to ignore all the haters.
  • lynlen
    lynlen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that happened to you :( some people are idiots and what they think don't matter
  • bananna30
    bananna30 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Screw em!! Come on don't let some miserable *kitten* person allow you to question what you are doing and what you have accomplished!! 40 lbs loss is great!! Keep up the good work!!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened to you. Keep your chin up and don't let some miserable douchekebab obliterate all your hard work with one lame remark. They suck, not you. Go forth and be awesome.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well i don't see them doing that epic walk!!

It's a test to your strength and a reminder of the good in yourself.

Let what YOU do define you, not what OTHERS do.

You're doing great, keep it up!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have never understood how someone could enjoy hurting someone's feelings for no reason at all. It makes me sick. You have lost 40 pounds? That is fantastic! Keep doing what you are doing, and don't worry about this kind of foolishness. So sorry that happened to you.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    People are a-sshates, sure, but why would you let it make you feel like your work is for nothing? Surely it would have the opposite affect? About three years ago someone bumped into me and called me a fat so and so and I was determined to NEVER be called that again.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    I have never understood how someone could enjoy hurting someone's feelings for no reason at all. It makes me sick.

^
    THIS.

I sometimes feel naïve but I honestly cant understand how someone can be so cruel to another person. I've always believed in raising people up and magnifying their strengths, as appose to bringing them down.
  • citythekitty
    Options
    I'm sorry. Some people are cruel and ignorant. I once met a man in person who I had first met online. One of the first things he said to me when we met was "I don't care that your a fatso." He had a bit of a gut on him so I said "and I don't mind that you look like your eight months pregnant." I know I shouldn't have stooped to his level but I couldn't help myself.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of 2012 I was overweight and got a few nasty comments from people. Six months later I was thinner than those people and now get to look down my nose at them. That thought always amuses me.
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ugh the world is full of a**holes. Me personally, would just ignore the comments, but also use it to fuel yourself to get better. Like at the end of the day they were a stranger. You're probably not gonna see them ever again so why should they affect your life. I've been called fat by pure strangers who were adult men! Seriously they looked like they were in their 40s, drunk out their mind too. But I'm never gonna see them again so what does it even matter. I find it hilarious how some people think their voice needs to be heard!

But I've been bullied all my childhood about my weight, so I've developed a thick skin over time; and boy was that hard to do. As long as you're surrounded by people who care about you and are totally supportive you don't need to listen to those people. :)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

People who matter don't yell mean things out of car windows. Just feel lucky you don't have to be that guy - who is really quite pathetic!

YOU GO GIRL!
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've had it too and I know it's really hard not to let it hurt you. Whether it be a stranger or someone close.

YOUR the one doing something to better yourself, I bet they wouldn't do it! Driving around like a **** calling out at people then driving away is just so easy for them.

Sometimes me and my friends just say "you come and do it then" whether it's jogging and especially boot camp (as it's on a public park we get little teenagers and ****s most of the time s******ing and watching) and their reaction is "*kitten* that!!! No way". It's to difficult for them and then I feel brilliant as I know I CAN do it lol.

Chin up hunny, this is YOUR life and nobody has the right to make you feel unworthy of anything!! :flowerforyou:
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up about this.
    You do your thing and move on. You've lost weight so it's working. Focus on that.

You don't have to explain yourself to anybody. You don't have apologise for how you are.

The world is wide. If he doesn't like what he sees, he's allowed to look elsewhere.

And, finally, most of the time, those comments come from the jerk's own insecurities. They tell a hell of a lot more about them than about you.

Keep smiling!
  • SalQOG
    SalQOG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The first time I went to the gym a group of really fit girls kept looking at me and giggling, and some of them said I should run instead of walking on the treadmill "I couldn't because my joints hurts badly" . They kept dong it and calling me names "including fatty" until I terminating my membership. Now I just walk around my neighborhood instead. I never regretted anything more than quitting the gym, so screw them who called you fatty. Just do what you want to do and ignore them.
  • zamphatta
    zamphatta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When somebody calls you fatty after you've shed 40 lbs, it's only because they're seeing you as you are now, and have NO understanding of how much progress you've really made. That's just how small minds work -- they see you exercising, and don't even take 1 moment to think that maybe this isn't your first time doing it. They just assume you've always been the size you are now and that your current size & shape doesn't represent progress. No big deal, it's just the nature of the beast. Just don't let your mind take their UNINFORMED ASSUMPTION as fact, and don't let it take up more time in your mind than thoughts about your next goal.
  • sopranotwo
    Options
    Come on Paula, they can only make you feel bad if you let them. You have lost a lot of weight and exercise makes you feel good! be happy and ignore.x