Guys perspective on low maintenance gym girls

Options
14567810»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up ladies... the less competent you are, the less likely you are to be taken seriously.

Let's put it this way, the most powerful women in the world look like this:

FIFY :flowerforyou:

Most of the most powerful people in the world are over 40 and on the whole, not especially attractive.

Eh... plenty of research shows that women's looks get used against them when they're looking at professional advancement while good looking men actually get a boost from their looks. This isn't a diss against good looking women. Its an unfortunate side effect of a sexist society.

In what world? Every study I've seen shows the opposite
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

From your first link:

"For men, the results were as expected. Hunks were more likely to be called for an interview if they included a photo. Ugly men were better off not including one. However, for women this was reversed. Attractive females were less likely to be offered an interview if they included a mugshot. "

In support of the women being jealous of other women thing

"So the cause of the discrimination must lie elsewhere. Human resources departments tend to be staffed mostly by women. Indeed, in the Israeli study, 93% of those tasked with selecting whom to invite for an interview were female. The researchers' unavoidable—and unpalatable—conclusion is that old-fashioned jealousy led the women to discriminate against pretty candidates."

This study only looked at resumes sent out vs. interviews. Doesn't change the fact that being "attractive" has more pros than cons

Here's a good one

http://www.businessinsider.com/if-you-have-any-of-these-20-physical-features-your-pay-check-will-probably-be-higher-2011-2?op=1
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I honestly do not understand the amount of time and energy that goes into discussing this subject. Is it a feeling of being imtimidated by more attractive or more attentive women? What is it? Do some people think that they're in competition with every other single person out there? I seriously want to know.
    In general, how women present themselves (clothes, hair, makeup) is less about attracting men and more about asserting their "rank" among other females.
    Women are contantly in competition with each other over who is more capable of inducing jealousy from other women.

That's the second most depressing thing I've read today. And completely untrue, at least in my own n=1 experience.

it is sad....and yet, isn't that what these threads are always about? women ranking other women based on the personal choices they make?

That is EXACTLY what its about..you have your head buried way up your *kitten* if you dont think its the norm.

Its primal..period..
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

From your first link:

"For men, the results were as expected. Hunks were more likely to be called for an interview if they included a photo. Ugly men were better off not including one. However, for women this was reversed. Attractive females were less likely to be offered an interview if they included a mugshot. "

In support of the women being jealous of other women thing

"So the cause of the discrimination must lie elsewhere. Human resources departments tend to be staffed mostly by women. Indeed, in the Israeli study, 93% of those tasked with selecting whom to invite for an interview were female. The researchers' unavoidable—and unpalatable—conclusion is that old-fashioned jealousy led the women to discriminate against pretty candidates."

This study only looked at resumes sent out vs. interviews. Doesn't change the fact that being "attractive" has more pros than cons

I'm just quoting your link. Plus, you kinda have to be hired to be promoted.

Being attractive has its pros, but if you're going to make your investments (time, money, effort, etc) in a place where you want to be taken seriously, you're better off focusing on things that show competence than looks. That said, if you're working in a highly male dominated industry, you're going to actually be docked points for having better credentials:

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/09/347017590/in-some-jobs-past-achievements-may-be-held-against-female-workers

My point isn't that being good looking is bad or somehow good looking women are inferior. What I am saying is that in some environments, you are actually better off looking LESS attractive if you want to be taken seriously because it reduces competition and acrimony from your OWN gender which is a necessary evil considering the misogyny that is pervasive in the attitudes of the OPPOSITE gender.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand the amount of time and energy that goes into discussing this subject. Is it a feeling of being imtimidated by more attractive or more attentive women? What is it? Do some people think that they're in competition with every other single person out there? I seriously want to know.
    In general, how women present themselves (clothes, hair, makeup) is less about attracting men and more about asserting their "rank" among other females.
    Women are contantly in competition with each other over who is more capable of inducing jealousy from other women.

That's the second most depressing thing I've read today. And completely untrue, at least in my own n=1 experience.

it is sad....and yet, isn't that what these threads are always about? women ranking other women based on the personal choices they make?

That is EXACTLY what its about..you have your head buried way up your *kitten* if you dont think its the norm.

Its primal..period..

Maybe, somewhat. But it eases with maturity. (not accusing anyone of being immature - just my observation)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Its primal..period..

and then some of us grow up and realize it doesn't matter- live and let live- and we stop thinking about it.

haters going to hate either way- so I don't even think about it honestly. I don't have my head buried up my rather fabulous *kitten*- but I am so focused on ME that I don't have time/energy/inclination to care if other women are haters.

Doesn't mean they don't exist- I just wind up engaging the ones who have a similar mind set to mind. And life is good.
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is a funny post and the comments are even funnier. When I go to gym and work out, I feel embarrassed when I'm NOT sweaty. Why? Because it looks like I barely worked out even though I work out pretty hard. I was never a big sweaty kinda girl.

Does anyone feel this way? I usually go in, work out, and out of the gym. No time to check out people, I'm in pain and trying to concentrate. :D
  • JoRocka
    Options
    This is a funny post and the comments are even funnier. When I go to gym and work out, I feel embarrassed when I'm NOT sweaty. Why? Because it looks like I barely worked out even though I work out pretty hard. I was never a big sweaty kinda girl.

Does anyone feel this way? I usually go in, work out, and out of the gym. No time to check out people, I'm in pain and trying to concentrate. :D

I stopped caring- when I switched to a different program the work felt less- but then I realized I'm running a Russian Power lifting program- and fug all what people think if I'm sweating enough.

I'm not much of a sweater unless I'm doing cardio honestly or it's really hot/humid in the gym.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    It's probably been said, but I go to the gym after work, so I am made up when I get there....not much left when I leave though, it's on the towel I use :)
  • tez4prez
    tez4prez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking the same thing so it's awesome to hear someone else say it!
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't care. Either way I'm there for me.. make up, no make up, no problem.

I also don't care what the other girls are doing. They don't matter.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm the OP and I decided to come back and say thanks to all for weighing in with your opinions. I honestly didn't expect some of the responses BUT i respect everyone's opinions and my post was meant to be uplifting and empowering to us women. I should have originally said, the makeup thing is great IF you are in there working out and busting your butt, it's the hair/make-up walking around just looking pretty thing at 5:00 in the morning that I was meaning. So.... this morning I took a post workout pic, I did take my hair down for the picture but yes i'm sweaty and had a damn good workout. Rock on!

ry%3D400
  • DavPul
    Options
    Why do you still think you're the arbiter of who's busting their butt or not?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I should have originally said, the makeup thing is great IF you are in there working out and busting your butt, it's the hair/make-up walking around just looking pretty thing at 5:00 in the morning that I was meaning.

Meh- still shouldn't matter- if that's their social hour- whatever- they pay to use the gym- they can pull out a tanning chair and read a book for all I care as long as they aren't near me or holding up equipment.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I should have originally said, the makeup thing is great IF you are in there working out and busting your butt, it's the hair/make-up walking around just looking pretty thing at 5:00 in the morning that I was meaning.

Meh- still shouldn't matter- if that's their social hour- whatever- they pay to use the gym- they can pull out a tanning chair and read a book for all I care as long as they aren't near me or holding up equipment.

yep
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Its not even a good photoshop... you can see the curve of the stuff behind her left tit.

This man (and I use the term loosely) has deactivated his profile. What a tool.
  • littlespooon
    Options
    I guess the only time I have makeup on ect. is when I go to the gym after work...by the end of working out though its a mess anyway lol...sexy right?
  • DavPul
    Options

She's of the impression that the backlash was about makeup when it's really about being sick of women judging other women. Basically instead of saying she was wrong she's like, "I'm not talking about y'all, I was talking about them other bishes"
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Dude, are you done yet, no i stand by my post sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way!

She's of the impression that the backlash was about makeup when it's really about being sick of women judging other women. Basically instead of saying she was wrong she's like, "I'm not talking about y'all, I was talking about them other bishes"
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

Don't really care to be honest. I don't wear make-up around the house any way so it doesn't matter what time I go to the gym I don't have make-up on.

If I do it's because I was out at meetings and hit the gym afterwards and I'm not going to scrub my face prior to hitting the gym. Also my hair isn't done up because I shower after the gym.

Sure there are those girls -- where I workout it's mostly the teeny-bopper girls -- who have the full on make up, hair done up "just so" and are going through the motions of exercise while they whisper and giggle with each other. They typically don't stay a member at the gym very long. With that said it doesn't mean that someone else who comes in with their hair looking nice and make up on isn't working out hard because they look pretty.

I'm all for looking or feeling pretty no matter where you go and if someone putting on a bit of make up and doing their hair before they go to the gym makes them feel pretty then that's their choice.

I personally can't be bothered. I am NOT a morning person so my main focus when I go to the gym in the morning is:

1) Make sure I have gym clothes, more importantly SHORTS
    2) Coffee
    3) Trying not to murder my husband on the way to the gym

The last thing on my mind is putting on make up or even caring what other people at the gym are thinking about me. (Seriously, if I gave one iota about what people thought about me I'd never leave the house).