WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Still struggling to get back on track. Who's got the golden tip? :laugh:

Going to the vet in a couple of hours to get the drain removed from my dog's head. Still not sure how much the optic nerve is recovering from the pressure of the abscess. I think he sees some, but I don't think he's where he was on vision. I sure hope that continues to improve.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good luck Cynthia.

Just read that Olive Garden sold out all their $100 vouchers and a bunch of them are all on EBay now. Geesh, wahat will some people do for money.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,731 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ sorry I didnt check in last night.. got up at 3:30 this morning and having my cup of tea, load of laundry in and DH lunch ready for tomorrow..
    well I work until 6 tonight and then have to go to the wake. tomorrow is the funeral.. and I will probably be taking my dad with me.. I found out that he went down in the grocery store and that was it,he had a heart attack.. he was only 52,he had abused himself for many years and almost died of alcohol poisoning a few years back,plus he smoked..
    I feel awful for his parents, I think I told you that they lost there daughter,Marc's sister 30 or so years ago, she and a friend were out drinking and driving, and the girl who was driving hit a tree she survived Kristi did not,the was in her late teens early 20's so very sad..
    he is the first in our group of kids that we grew up with to pass away.. it is sort of sad.. that we are of the age that it isnt weddings, except of our kids and grandkids, but funeral's more often than not..
    Rori- that is one thing I want to do, is take a cruise to Alaska and do the denali national park.. that is hopefully something we do when we retire.. if and when we ever get there.. God willing and if the crick don't rise
  • lkellandmay
    lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great to see I am not alone in this weight loss thing.
    Starting off with some walking Today with my neighbour and hope to m move it to walk/run.
    Also taking my calorie intake seriously helps. Not just logging the food but taking action toward reducing intake. Yesterday I tied the pantry door closed so I wouldn't habitually grab snacks as I was walking by. It worked. So... Step 1 was stopping the senseless, mindless eating.

Rather than going to the cupboard I put out some grapes and fruit on the counter. So my first choice was to go to the fruit/treats rather than OPEN the door to the pantry.

Sounds kinda weird.... But I really didn't know how often I was just grabbing something just cause.
    -Laura
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    Looks like a nice day here. Today is Weds. and so far I've gotten up early every morning and walked for a half hour before work. It feels like the day goes smoother when I do this and I can get my first couple thousand steps in.

I work a full time job sitting at a desk and have also worked at the Y for 8 yrs. part time. It use to be sitting at the Welcome desk at the Y but I now personal train and work in the fitness center. The hrs are few at this time and I need to build a cliental for training. Anyway, I really want to teach more classes, esp. water aerobics so I went to LA Fitness and they have hired me to teach two water fitness classes a week. I'm really excited about it, the money is a lot better and it's what I want to do. I mentioned that I was thinking about doing this to my Y boss and she said I probably couldn't person train at the Y if I did. Since I've been at the Y for 8 yrs at minimum wage I don't feel they should really make that requirement. They can't pay me more, can't provide more hours and don't have any spots for me to teach. What do you all think?

Welcome Elizabeth!

YannieJannie, Yikes, 6 in of rain, and even worse 10. What a mess. I do wish I could bottle that trick, esp. now that I’m back home and sitting at a desk again 8-9 hrs a day. I don’t even want to eat now because I don’t want to gain it back.

Heather, Enjoy your time, I hope with all your adventures you will come back with a weight loss too.

Brenda, I didn’t know you were in the hospital, it sounds like you are doing OK, I sure hope so.

Laura, Good idea to tie the door closed. I need to try it.

I am really happy about the weight loss, it was such an eye opener as to what sitting all day does to your body and to your weight loss plans. I so don't even want to eat now cause I don't want to gain it back and I'm afraid I will.

Oh well, I better get to work.

Again "No worries"
    :happy:
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Son still home with migraine ... sigh ... waiting for neurologist instructions. Yanniejannie ... Imitrex never works for him!! :sad:

Brenda ... the IV pole counts as "pushing a cart" ... more calorie burn on MFP! :laugh: Glad you're on your feet!

Pat ... amazing dancer. Of course, she had a lifetime of fitness and there's the result.

Laura ... not weird at all ... we're essentially creatures of habit ... good move with the fruit!

Rori ... Alaska is on my bucket list too. My Uncle was stationed with the Coast Guard in Alaska and my cousin now lives in Ketchikan. Hoping to get there some day!

Cynthia ... share the golden tip if you get one!

Beth in WNY
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a newbie to this group as well. I stumbled on these posts and really felt at home. I'm 60 and pretty active but still need to lose another 10 lbs. My work out group is in their 30's-40's and are still fit and trim with very little struggling! AHHHH! It is nice to have other ladies I can relate to!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Well I have been absent the last almost week. Since we got home from vacation I have been in a funk. Not sure what is wrong. But I am not giving up. At weigh in this morning I am down .7 which surprised me as my eating has been BAD. So getting back on track today and going to do better. Have to remember it is one day at a time and I am not in this alone. Prayers and hugs to all of you and Thanks so much for being here for me.
    Meg--Have you been getting all this rain also? We have water standing all over and they canceled Husker Harvest days today. First time they have ever done that. Atleast it is cooling off and that is nice, having the windows open.
    Blessigs, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options

WOW is right! That's what I want to be when I'm 90! Thanks for the link.

Yesterday I had to take Bruno for his booster shots, and at the vet's office we ran into one of Hubby's co-workers who had brought his little bunny, Coconut, in to get it's nails clipped. While we waited our turns, I discovered that Bruno was terrified of that silly little bunny! He was actually hiding under my chair! When it was his turn to go in the exam room, he made a huge wide arc around that bunny's crate. It was hilarious. The vet said "What kind of hunting dog ARE you?!" Everybody was cracking up. Poor little guy. If he encounters something new and Molly is not there to tell him how to react, he is very timid. But he got a clean bill of health. The vet says he is the perfect little dog, but I sort of knew that already.

The kids and I walked to school this morning and it was 80 degrees and very humid, so it wasn't very comfortable. I have a lot of drafting to do this morning and somehow have to work in taking Molly to the vet to get her nails done at 10:00. And go to the store for groceries. Clean house a little bit. Then pick up the kids at 3:15 and take them to my house. My son is taking his wife to the doctor this afternoon. It's going to be a busy day, so I'd better get started.

Have a great day everyone.

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!:flowerforyou:

I woke up this morning feeling really tired and negative.:ohwell: Realised I needed a "downtime" day without any deadlines and rushing around. Been on the go for quite a while now. So had some quality time with DH and said I didn't feel like going to Trelissick gardens, just wanted to potter and recover. He was fine with that. So we'll do the gardens tomorrow.:happy:
    For me "relaxing" on my holiday includes buying and preparing delicious food, so we went off to buy the crab and plaice for dinner and I was seduced by a Cornish Pastie. We shared a medium sized one for lunch with lots of lovely salad!:bigsmile:
    You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a proper pastie in Cornwall. The authentic ones are chopped potato, onion, swede (turnip) and skirt all cooked from raw in the pastry shell. St Agnes Bakery makes the best pasties I know, so I revisited my early haunt. Most pasties are commercial rubbish and the contents are all mashed up. Anyway it was delicious.:bigsmile:

Patty - I am eating like a pig and drinking too much as well so I know I will be putting on weight. I have even given up logging. But it's only until Friday, then back in harness!:tongue: Sometimes I feel guilty about it and it depresses me, but then I allow myself to relax just for my holiday. I have been so good for so long my mind is just rebelling. When I get home I will just get back into the old routine - I hope!:noway: :ohwell:

This afternoon we will go for a walk down to another cove. We can walk from the house when it has cooled off a bit. DH is out walking right now while I take my R&R. I do love a pottering day when I'm on holiday. I love doing nothing much.:bigsmile:

The veg box arrived so we are having runner beans with dinner. I love sitting down and chopping.:laugh:

Love Heather in sunny and beautiful Cornwall UK

PS
    Vicki - hi there! Wondered where you were. I'm feeling a bit the same. I think we sometimes just need a rest from constant vigilance and a holiday breaks the spell. After a rest I am sure you will feel more positive and climb back on board!:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Rainy tues in IL.
    Took Violet to school and am soaked to the bone.Warming up with some hot green tea.
    hugs
    jane
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning or Later Ladies;
    I have to admit I am not a back each day or week even.....I have to get my mind settled to do it and that is something I am working on......have that stupid low Blood Pressure again..74 over something..only happens when I stand up and while walking...makes for a lot of funny actions sometimes....navigating while my sight is whitening out...and struggling not to fall is my biggie.......my DGS is having a hard time reading....he is 9...and it seems like he is slipping thru the cracks at school....not getting much help...so my DD has to help him with this...I think our schools are less about the children's needs and more of their jobs...I know that isn't everywhere..but it sure is here:noway: :noway:

Patty*** I am jealous..you go on vacation and still lose weight...that is amazing!!

Sylvia*** Your dog sounds like a little sweetie!!

Heather*** Sounds like you are having a grand time...I love setting by the water..so soothing!!

Jannie*** That is a lot of rain to navigate in...I hate driving in the beating rain..so hard to see!!:noway:

Linda*** Homemade jam sounds delicious..my sister does quite a bit!

Michele*** You have great strength in eating only small bits of the meal..that is super!!

Cynthia*** I hope the draining tube that your pet has been wearing does the job and that his eye sight improves..

Grandmallie*** As parents..It is so hard to have a child die before us...and he wasn't that old either...A lady at our church had a daughter and son pass away on the same weekend....in separate places....that was hard!!

Laura*** I have never tried locking my pantry shut somehow..did it work???

Beth*** Sorry your son is suffering with migrains...my DD had them when she was 9 or 10...she would pass out from then....she grew out of them..but it was scary!!!

I hope you all have a great rest of the week.....Think positively as much as possible in this diet journey..:flowerforyou:

Liz fr Halifax Nova Scotia
    3052186q0dj8643hl.gif
  • kittytoo
    Options
    Went to the gym last night for Body Flow. Don't know if my body ached more from NOT exercising, or from exercising. Either way, I came home, ate dinner (DH cooked, bless him), and was in bed by 9. Forced myself to stay awake until 10. Last time I let myself go to sleep at 9, I woke up at 1 am and could not get back to sleep for 3 hours. :mad:

Weighed in at the gym. I am down to 153.6, after 4 weeks of tracking everything. I am rarely over my 1200 calories a day, not counting until the birthday cake was gone. Sigh. No treats for me.

:flowerforyou: Michele - eating out is a bear, anywhere.

:flowerforyou: Beth - Botox worked for my BFF. Hope it works for your son.

Kitty in Sunny (now dry) Phoenix
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I put cherry tomatoes into the food dehydrator and they seem done this morning. I’ll ad them to soups and sauces this winter. I need to get out and pick a BUNCH more of them from my vine today. The plant is huge and bursting with ripe tomatoes. I also need to make an appointment for a pedicure. It has been too long. DH doesn’t want one until after surgery. He couldn’t sit in the chair that long, and the lady who does our nails is a real talker who often strays into TMI land, (too much information.):embarassed: :tongue:

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Heather - Your photo is gorgeous! My daughter and I have a dream of visiting the UK before I'm too old to stumble around. I like to mix up my vacations with some activity and a lot of downtime.

Yikes to all of the flooding! We were supposed to have beautiful weather this weekend with much cooler temps all week. That seems to be going the way of clouds and rain. My daughter moves into her condo this weekend so I'm hoping the weather holds while stuff is going in and out. I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to help...

...which leads me to this: I had a doctor appointment this morning to check my Achilles tendon (now have an appointment with the podiatrist) and because I've been having a lot of joint pain, general achiness and pain all over, and fatigue. I now have an appointment with a rheumatologist. :cry: My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and so does/did two of her brothers. I am more than a little scared. It is genetic and I am about the age my mother was when she was diagnosed. One funny thing the doctor said was that I am to tell the podiatrist that I MUST continue to walk and be active so his treatment must work around that. :laugh:

I am taking a second look at the townhouse I want tonight. I am taking my daughter with me for a second opinion. If I love it as much as I remember that I do, I am going to make an offer on it with a contingency that mine sells. I don't know what the standard time limit is for that, but it will reserve the place while I make some decisions. Not having to worry about the place I want getting gone while I think and pray will help me make better choices, I hope. I found out a couple of weeks ago that, since my ex didn't reaffirm the mortgage while filing for bankruptcy, I can walk away from the house without any damage to my credit rating. I don't want to make that choice--it doesn't seem ethical and I want my equity! I don't want to put myself in a deeper hole financially by staying in the house when I can't afford the mortgage either. Hence, decisions to make!

It seems I had more to say, but I've forgotten. My brain is foggier than usual today. :tongue:

Hope everyone has a great remainder of their day (or night)!

Carol in cloudy NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Doing this on my phone. Just wanted to post a pic of me at Bedruthan Steps. You can just see a rock stack over my shoulder. DH came out with me for another walk over the cliffs. The cliffs are purple with heather with splashes of yellow gorse. The sea is deep blue. All around are the ruins of old tin mines. The chimneys dot the landscape. I love this place so much.

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol, I hope your plan to secure the condo you want is successful. I think you're smart to go for it and I wish you luck with that and your health worries.:flowerforyou:

Katla
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon friends,

:drinker:

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather what a delightful trip.

Prayers for those dealing with flooding. I know how awful it is to deal with the small amount of water we sometimes get in our basement during a heavy rain if our downspout extension gets knocked off.

Carol hope all is going well with your move.

Kim I looked that squash up online and could not get as exact match. It tasted like a cross between an acorn and spaghetti squash. It's seeds looked more like a pumpkin's. I roasted the seeds and they were better than the squash. I have two more of them coming in the garden. I think I use one of them for my pumpkin on my step this year for Halloween.

Quiet day here we had a twenty degree drop in temperature. High of 50 today. Cloudy, rain, and windy. A good day to stay inside and catch up on inside chores.

Today be more mindful of what I eat, so I can get these three pounds off.

2014 word:contentment
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Cynthia how is your dog?????

Sylvia, we had an article in the paper the other day about a whippet being used as a therapy dog for a vet with PTSD. she was beautiful

Got back form my appointment with the cardiologist. Basically everything turned out normal. The ultrasound showed some left ventricular hypertophy which is basically the left lower chamber if the heart has some muscular thickness due to my long term high blood pressure. The month long heart monitor didn't show anything. all the beats were normal, most were slow, a beta blocker will do that, I had some extra beats called PACs and PVCs which everyone has and we all feel them and normally feel them like hard beats in thier chest every once and awhile. I got the number for the billing department to see what is needed regarding the $4500 payment that insurance says need extra documentation. I took with me the box that the compression stockings were in. Doctor said that no one had done that and she was curious to see what they were like. She said that I really didn't need to see her again, If I feel I wanted to pursue it I could see the clinic at Vanderbilt but it takes about 2-3 months to get in. She doubted that heaver weight stockings would work but if I wanted to try she could write a prescription for it.Then I went and had my fasting lab work that I have every 6 months for my MS medicine. I reminded them again to send it to my neurologist instead of my family doctor. The lab has a habit in doing that and that gets me in trouble with the neurologist, she thinks I am noncompliant and threatens to 'fire' me as a patient.

Joyce, Indiana