What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

12345679»

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    I have far too many to quote, however this one sticks with me and is also from a man that deserves far more credit than he has received. I encourage anyone interested in science to read his memoirs or even do a quick Google search on him.

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter - for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way."

Nikola Tesla

Damn right! This thread is embarrassingly Tesla-less.

"The little engine labors and grows, performs more and more involved operations, becomes sensitive to ever subtler influences and now there manifests itself in the fully developed being — Man — a desire mysterious, inscrutable and irresistible: to imitate nature, to create, to work himself the wonders he perceives. Inspired to this task he searches, discovers and invents, designs and constructs, and covers with monuments of beauty, grandeur and awe, the star of his birth."
    - Nikola Tesla, Man's Greatest Achievement
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Tesla was the man
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    FUKC YOU SCIENCE!

-21 JUMP ST.
    -CHANNING TATUM
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Just a few that I like.

“Ocean, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man — who has no gills.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

AND

“Logic, n. The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding. The basic of logic is the syllogism, consisting of a major and a minor premise and a conclusion - thus:

Major Premise: Sixty men can do a piece of work sixty times as quickly as one man.
    Minor Premise: One man can dig a post-hole in sixty seconds; Therefore-
    Conclusion: Sixty men can dig a post-hole in one second.

This may be called syllogism arithmetical, in which, by combining logic and mathematics, we obtain a double certainty and are twice blessed.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    ANd now for something completely different:

On the topic of the ocean:

"its a big blue watery road"

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    I'm logging off for the rest of the day (probably), but I leave with this:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
    - Douglas Adams
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    "When science fails to find an explanation for a phenomenon, superstition and quackery rush in to fill the void."
    -Dr. Joe Scwarcz

For those that haven't heard of him, he's a chem professor at McGill University in Canada. Like Bill Nye, he debunks myths and misconceptions. His books are freakin' hilarious. Many of the myths he addresses have to do with nutrition and food safety (and since I'm in the food safety business that's prob why I love him so!) Check out his books and his blog:
    http://blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/tag/joe-schwarcz/
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Vodka cures all ills Albert Einstein

photo.jpg
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP.

This quote is commonly ascribed to Euclid, but I think the actual author is unknown. (just a fun fact, not a criticism. I only know because it's one of my favourite quotes and I used it in a math essay :wink: )
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    I'm logging off for the rest of the day (probably), but I leave with this:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
    - Douglas Adams
    Never be without your towel. :tongue:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    One of my favorites. It's just so true:

ETe4lpO.gif
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Here are only a couple of my favorites, sorry they are so long....hahah.

“Think of an experience from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else could you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place …. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made. If that does not make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, read it again until it does, because it is important.”
    – Richard Dawkins

"What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." -Bertrand Russell

"There is no heaven for broken down computers." -Stephen Hawking

Love these quotes!