What can calisthenics do for you? Let me show you.

Options

Replies

• sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look fantastic!
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Do you think the next step after "body by you" should be "you are your own gym" or the "convict conditioning'?. I don;t know what to buy next.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Reading your story has made me download the Kindle version of "Convict Conditioning" and I am in awe and in love and inspired lol! Everything that man says make so much sense to me that I will slowly over the cause of the next weeks transition from weights to bodyweight exercises.

I don't know much about Paul Wade's life (he has done maybe 2 short interviews for publicity and never allows anyone to photograph him), but one thing is for sure - he is the real deal. I felt the same way when I read the book.
    Congratulations on your success - you can tell your daughter is proud of you too, and she's lucky to have you as a role model in her life.

Thanks - she is my shadow and is quite fearless! She follows along with me while I'm working out, it's awesome.
    What did your beginner work outs look like?

I am working on a roadmap for beginners - but I would highly recommend downloading one of the two books I listed in the OP. I started with the basics, but went through progressive phases for some of the moves (I could do a full pushup right off the bat, I could not do a full pull up).
    Maybe I will just start with perfecting my push-up, squat and pull-up and build from there?

The basics are definitely the most important!
    I'll have to keep checking back for the road map you promised! ;)

I really am, I promise!
    Do you think the next step after "body by you" should be "you are your own gym" or the "convict conditioning'?. I don;t know what to buy next.

Well, I think I am probably biased. Convict Conditioning is my favorite progressive calisthenics manual, period. It has a lot of information surrounding the history of calisthenics, which I actually think is very important to know and understand. It has been so long since I flipped through YAYOG, I can't remember what it is like! But feedback on Amazon is pretty good. Pushing the Limits by Al Kavadlo is also great, and does not have the machismo of CC - but it lacks pull up progression (Al has a completely separate book for pull up bar calisthenics).

EDIT: Forgot to say THANK YOU all so much for your comments. I read every one of them! I never thought something like this would get such a positive reaction on MFP, I am so stoked to see other people wanting to give it a try.
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wonderful results!!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Now that I've had the chance to see your pictures (and thoroughly read your post)...

wow-left-yellow.png

I know lifting heavy is a big thing here, and I don't disagree with the results. Like you though, I've never really enjoyed it and I especially don't like the fact that in order for me to do that, I would need to belong to a gym. THIS is something I could do at home, and probably enjoy!

I'm also amazed at your 125 lb. loss. If you do have loose skin, you hide it well. All I see is awesome!

I apologize in advance since I've not read thorough all of the responses - but you mentioned some books - which would you recommend (as far as body weight strength goes) for a beginner?
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, good stuff! Great job, you look great!
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what calisthenics was when you would add it to your exercise. Now that Ive seen this and read through the comments, I am definitely on board. I have been trying some HIIT training using only body weight (with a kettle bell for some of the exercises). I have not been able to make it through a full 30 minutes, and I'll be shaking at the end of the 20 I do make it through. But I love that it makes me sore in places I didn't think I was working, such as my core, bi/triceps, and hamstrings. I am definitely going to be sticking with this and checking out your resources now.
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. You look awesome.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job ! I personally also enjoy bodyweight exercises more than heavy lifting. I was getting bored in the weighs room. I find the feeling very different. I only started doing circuit training and bodyweight exercises at home 2 months ago but i can tell my strength and shape have changed although i have been in maintenance for a year now (monthly pics taken). Congrats again and keep enjoying !!!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Awesome well done
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you have no idea what an inspiration you are / this post is to me.

thank you.
  • Anzju
    Options
    WOW! I'm going to give calisthenics a go now! Shame I bought weights last week..ahah!
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    I apologize in advance since I've not read thorough all of the responses - but you mentioned some books - which would you recommend (as far as body weight strength goes) for a beginner?

Both of those listed in OP are excellent honestly! Convict Conditioning is my favorite book. It has some "fluff" to it, but it is probably the best and most thorough progression for beginners.
  • WildcatDeLalune
    WildcatDeLalune Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I was looking for a way to become more fit and lean without having to lift. This gives me so much hope! I'd love to be able to scale things.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for sharing your results and your path to get there! You and your baby girl are both beautiful.

I am over 50 and weight lifting(which I love) bothers my elbow and shoulders now if I up the weights. I've been lifting much of my life but the Body weight approach might be something that can work for me. Going to search for the books now!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome! I'm definitely interested!
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    Here ya' go!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fourfiftythree/view/calisthenics-roadmap-a-list-of-resources-to-get-started-with-bodyweight-strength-training-694338

Scroll about half way down for the resources, everything else is tl;dr stuff.

Thanks again so much guys! I'm so ecstatic to see others getting excited about learning some new and different. Best of luck to you all!
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can scale and lift myself over almost anything - trees, walls, fences…

Yup. that is my idea of fitness, exactly, and my goals in a nutshell.

and you look amazing. thanks for sharing! :drinker:

This ^^

We'll done!

I've started a beginner body weight program and was shocked that I can't do more than three knee push ups:noway:
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here ya' go!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fourfiftythree/view/calisthenics-roadmap-a-list-of-resources-to-get-started-with-bodyweight-strength-training-694338

Scroll about half way down for the resources, everything else is tl;dr stuff.

Thanks again so much guys! I'm so ecstatic to see others getting excited about learning some new and different. Best of luck to you all!

Thank you SO much!

I checked out Convict Conditioning and read a heap of reviews on Amazon - 99% glowingly positive. So I went ahead and bought the pdf version of the book, downloaded it, and have just finished reading it cover to cover. It makes complete and perfect sense to me and I am SO in. After reading it I am convinced that is possible to regain the strength of my athletic youth - not the youthful look perhaps, but strong!

I can't tell you how inspired I was by the OP and her pictures. I'm post-menopausal and, after years suffering a crippling back problem (just now under control), I've lost so much muscle tone, but I am definitely on my way with regular pilates sessions and lots of walking, hiking and swimming. I'm not a fan of weight lifting, machines or the gym - I get bored. I like the idea of using your whole body with natural movements that work not only a group of muscles, but those supporting them. That just feels "right" to me.

Now to read and learn more ... starting with your blog post. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Being a bit cheeky here but just a thought for Fourfiftythree ... have you considered starting a group for those of us interested in this strength training pathway? You'd probably become the group's agony aunt, which might appeal to you not at all ... but it appeals to me and I'd join in a heartbeat!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!