WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• trulabfloyd
    Options
    Hello All. Reading some amazing stories of success here. I am 60 and tortured by the last 10 to 20 lbs. Been on for 3 or 4 weeks and have lost 6 solid pounds but on a plateau that exists because of weekend drinking and parties. Have not figured out a way to socialize without hurting someones feelings by passing on their food they want to share. And the drinking makes me throw caution to the wind and eat what I want. HELP. I am on the 21 day no binging challenge after eating 3 ice cream drumsticks in a row while stress eating while talking on the phone. Holding at 150 for two weeks not and shooting for 135 to 140 lbs. Too skinny when you are older looks bad. " The face or the fanny after 40" I would any advice you have to offer for my plight. thanks so much!:flowerforyou:
  • janejanekitt
    Options
    Up at 5 AM to take my dad for colonoscopy -- long day trying not to eat too much. He's fine. My arthritis is acting up, cold front coming in. It stinks being a barometer. I wish I could get some of the energy I saw in a three-year old at the hospital today, adorable little boy who must drive his mama crazy, he isn't still for a minute! It's hard to deal with the arthritis and other stressors and stay under my goal, and it helps to know you all know that too. Hope everyone is well or getting better. lovely 70 degrees in NNY today.:flowerforyou:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well, all my good intentions went down the drain tonight! It was the first night at youth club for the year and unexpectedly we had an introductions game! I usually only go for 40 mins every week to do the registrations and then come home to cook, having tea ready for when DH comes back from doing the whole when he is on rota! I stayed for the whole thing in order to get to know the new group of 25 9-11 year olds and so was walking home with him at 8pm and we decided to go to the chippy on our way home! DS had been playing basketball and was wanting to eat sooner rather than later so we took the easy option! I had hoped to make it a one Friday a month treat! Oh well! That's it for the rest of September! No fall-back!

Love the Cornwall photos in the sun - the one time I went there it rained the whole time and was so misty couldn't see the view!

MA in UK
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did an hour DVD on the rebounder today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Brooke Burke's Transform your Body DVD.

Not working very hard yesterday (changing things up, I usually exercise for an hour, only did 45 minutes yesterday. I usually workout harder, but didn't yesterday) really does work. I'm down (according to the Wii) a pound today. I need to break out of my rut of doing an hour all the time. Well...I guess it could be worse

Rori - lovely pic. I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Thank you for letting me live vicariously thru you

Joyce - you know, Vince and I were talking the other day. Lynette (you've heard me talk about her) is quite obese. Yet, when she's here, she doesn't eat a whole lot. From the size of her, I would expect someone who is constantly eating, but she doesn't. Admitted, her food choices aren't that great. Like we'll go out to dinner and she'll get mac & cheese for a side to take home. I can't help but wonder if she doesn't have more of a thyroid condition than anything else. Let me tell you, she doesn't walk -- she waddles. But she isn't a big eater. The next time she mentions to me "when I get thinner" (or something like that) I'm just going to ask her "have you ever seen an endocrinologist? When you're here, it's not that you eat a lot of food. Maybe it's something else" I'm not going to mention about the choices. Who knows? Maybe she doesn't eat a lot at my house because I try hard to have decent food. Did you get the vanilla or chocolate part of the cake?

mimi - every time I see your pic with Kim, it makes me smile knowing that you two were able to get together.

Cynthia - continued good thoughts for your dog

Laura - your tricks for not snacking don't sound at all weird to me. Whenever we'd be working outside, I always kept a small dish on the counter with carrots or grape tomatoes. I knew that if I didn't have them there, I would want to grab something quick that I could just put in my mouth -- like a cookie. Then I'd be mad at myself. So having those veggies sure helped.

Paatty - did your boss at the Y tell you why you probably couldn't teach the class at the other place and personal train? How would she know if you hadn't told her? Hey, I'd LOVE for you to come here and teach. You have no idea how many times I've asked for an aqua zumba class, it's not going to happen. I have no idea why, others want it, too. They have a lifeguard who can get certified (she's already certified to teach on land)

mjones - welcome. I totally get what you're saying about needing ladies your age. One of the reasons I'm not crazy about Jillian Michael's DVDs is because she always has younger people doing the DVD with her.

Sylvia - that's so funny about Bruno. We have sort-of the same thing here. Bonnie (who is about 6lbs) has Loki (who is about 15lbs) totally and completely intimidated. She just needs to look at him and he's off.

Carol - I'm sure you'll make the right decision . Go for making an offer with the contingency, it certainly can't hurt and very well might help

Heather - lovely pic. I'm sooooooo jealous

I made a banana bread for this lady who fixes my pants/clothes. She's such a nice lady. But I have a suspicion she won't be at the Y Friday as she has a cold, so I might very well just leave it in the freezer. Then I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for Jess since she'll be here this weekend. Update: just threw the banana bread out. I followed the recipe but it really needed to bake longer. A toothpick inserted came out clean, but the middle just wasn't cooked enough.

Joyce - I'm thinking that almost any dog is a therapy dog for someone with PTSD. And they are such a great help! When you get your blood work done, in addition to asking them to send your neurologist a copy, why not ask them to also send you a copy? This way, if they forget to send it to the neurologist, at least you have it and can let your neurologist take a copy

trulabfloyd - I hear ya about trying to socialize and not hurting someone's feelings by not trying what they made/brought. Most times I have a small bite of whatever it is. At least I can in all honestly say "your xxx was really good". I've also turned into someone who is just not so much into having desserts. Actually, at the Newcomers Christmas party last year my dessert consisted of sweet potatoes and carrots.....lol

Had the Newcomer general meeting today. I kept telling Vince that we should be leaving earlier, but did he listen to me???? NOOOOOO So when we got there the lady who was bringing snacks already had them out and set up, only I still had to get the table. There's one sign that fell down that I need to reprint out and have laminated. One of the members has ALS and this one gal got the "ice bucket challenge" together for it. I felt bad for her in that only one person on the board (the wife of the man who has ALS) took the challenge and three other members, that's all. But I think they did get lots of donations.

Made those cookies for Jessica, and, of course, had to have some of the dough. Now I feel so horrible. Why do I do things like this to myself?

Off to take a shower and then spend some time with Lance and shadow. Hopefully, cuddle with Lance and be able to give him his insulin.

Michele in NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday.Had a nice day with good weather. Been talking about getting a new printer & today was the day.The checker was a bit dumb. She rang up $76 too much. I had the price figured before I went in. She couldn't figure it out,so a male clerk had it right in about 30 seconds.Only a nickel over my price. They must lose customers/business every day.SIL will set it up for me Sunday.Went with an all black printer this time.

Heather,Cornwall as you described it sounds like a lovely place to visit.Looked it up & the pictures are wonderful.Tons of coastline,fishing villages,lovely beaches...:flowerforyou:

Katla,Congrats on the new Grandchild.I'm with you. No matter how we love being needed,coming home is so nice:love:

Someone asked if our DD lived far from us.They live in Fl,so we don't see her often.Used to spend winters in Fl.Our 5th wh was outfitted for comfort & the park was just 8 miles from them.DHs health probs keep us pretty close to home.Might go there this winter for a couple wks. Will wait & see how we are before making plans.

Sylvia,maybe a new Dr? Those symptoms are scary. Laughed at your dog being scared of the rabbit.
    Yrs ago we had a boxer & every time I sit down,she would try to get on my lap.She sounded so fierce when anyone knocked at the door,but was a big baby.

Brenda,it all hit the fan! Hope your DH is ok & able to be with you soon.What a way to lose wt! Keep in touch when you can.Ok ,things are looking up.Maybe you are home now?:laugh:

Jane in NNY.....I agree with body being a weather forcaster. My knees get creaky when cold is on the way,regardless of what the weather guy says.Mom's back predicted rain.When it bothered Grma,she would say she had the "misery", perfect description.

Carol in NC......here's hoping things work out for selling/ moving.Don't borrow trouble.Wait till you see the new Dr.H ope he can help you.
    Time for a slice of bundt cake. Shouldn't but will:happy:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Did some reading this morning, had some things to say and forgot most at this point in a very LONG, stressful, rainy day that I'm ready to be done with.

I know one was how beautiful Heather's pic was. Love travelling vicariously:smile:

I think several of the newer posters were talking about how hard it is to lose at our age. A quick repeat from me: I couldn't lose a pound no matter what I tried for the 4+ years after my hysterectomy. I finally started on a higher protein, lower carb structured plan (I followed the Biggest Loser 6 Weeks to a Healthier You plan) and have lost 10 pounds in the last couple/few months....with less exercise than I was doing before.

Can't remember what else I had :ohwell:

Going to go pick up the Hay Day pipe for a few while I watch a little TV before bed. Need to be designing some new candle labels right now but I'm fried.

Oh, today is 6 months since my mom passed. Seems like yesterday, seems like a lifetime ago and seems unreal....all at the same time. :brokenheart: I will, however, not forget the support I received here through the end of her horrible illness and passing. Thanks again:flowerforyou: :love:

Til tomorrow..

xo- Gloria in soggy Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. I picked the kids up from school and brought them home with me. They rode bikes for a while, then we had supper. I made Orange Cranberry Turkey Meatballs and rice. I thought they were pretty good, but everyone else thought they needed salt. That's why there is a shaker on the table, isn't it? I'm getting tired of making separate meals, one with salt and one without. So from now on, they can just add what they want. After supper the kids played outside with grandpa while I cleaned up. We just got back from taking them home. It was cooler today, so a good day to play outside.

I think my vet is getting senile. I took Molly in to get her nails trimmed and the vet was telling me a funny story about a little "pit bull mix" that was afraid of a bunny. The vet tech said, "Doc, that was HER dog." It was pretty funny. And Bruno is NOT a pit bull mix. Not even a little bit. I have the DNA test to prove it.

I have six drafting jobs waiting and I didnt feel like doing any of them. Much rather play with the kids. But now I'd better get busy.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:happy:

While sports fishing off the Florida coast, a tourist capsized his boat. He could swim, but his fear of alligators kept him clinging to the overturned craft. Spotting an old beachcomber standing on the shore, the tourist shouted, "Are there any gators around here?"

"Naw," the man hollered back, "they ain't been around for years!"

Feeling safe, the tourist started swimming leisurely toward the shore.

About halfway there he asked the guy, "How'd you get rid of the gators?"

"We didn't do nothing,'" the beachcomber said.

"Wow," said the tourist.

The beachcomber added, "The sharks got 'em."

:laugh:

Good night!

Sylvia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

Joyce ... glad your heart monitoring results were ok.

Meg ... saw pictures on our local news of your flooding... wow!

Michele... Lynette most likely eats when alone. I eat like a bird in social settings... but home alone... get out of my way!

Liz ... how scary your daughter would pass out from migraine, but glad to hear she grew out of it. I'm hoping things change soon for my son.

Today was not a good day ... one thing after another. But the thing that has me most disheartened is a series of texts I received today. One of my friends accidentally sent me a text intended for a mutual friend ... and it was a rant about me. Very hurtful actually. I'm hearing impaired ... just about deaf actually and getting worse this week for some reason. Anyways, the first "friend" was explaining to the other why she didn't want to invite me to a Bible study ... of all things ... because my hearing problems weren't fair to the others ... I wasn't committed enough ... only attending every once in awhile, etc., etc. Huh? How is my loss of hearing a problem to her?? Guess I can't respond appropriately to all the gossip. And all of YOU even get that my sons and their problems have been time consuming. Other comments were made through several texts that friend#1 had no idea were coming to me. Finally had enough and responded to both friends asking if they knew I was getting their messages? Oh ... you should have seen the scramble that followed! The second friend hadn't received anything so I forwarded the texts that were intended for her to her. The other friend is still trying to "explain" what she meant! I shared with my husband just to see if I am being too sensitive ... he agreed that friend#1 had been nasty. I will let her off the hook ... mainly because she's the mother of my son's best friend... but the whole thing saddens me. Sigh.

I was gifted with a bushel of tomatoes today ... so sauce making tomorrow!

G'night.
    Beth

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rori, your vacation sounds awesome….I agree that bread is not my friend (or yours either)…..I know you’ll make good use of the fitness rooms on your business trip.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, enjoy your time with your mom---she won’t be around forever.

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, what worked for me was to plan my food for the day, log it on MFP and eat only what I planned “no matter what”.

:flowerforyou: Laura, a great book that I read said that “strategy is stronger than willpower”….it looks like you are creating good strategies for yourself.

:flowerforyou: Patty, it’s unfortunate that the Y won’t let you do personal training if you work for someone else, but companies get to do what they want. Teaching water aerobics sounds great…are there other teaching possibilities at L.A. Fitness…..anything that gets you away from the desk is a great idea.

:flowerforyou: Pat, that’s what I want to do when I’m 90---gotta get there one day at a time

:flowerforyou: Mjones, keep coming back here and join in the conversation….you’ll find a lot of great ideas that fit our age group

:flowerforyou: Vicki, sorry about the funk and happy to see you back on track

:flowerforyou: Heather, you are always so busy, I’m not surprised that you realized that you need some downtime without deadlines.

:flowerforyou: Katla, lucky you to have all those tomatoes

:flowerforyou: Trulabfloyd, welcome……I hope you will keep coming back. I don’t worry about hurting people’s feeling about the food and drink they prepare…alcoholics say no to alcohol, people with food allergies say no the food they are allergic to, and I say no to the food I didn’t put on my food plan for the day….people are surprised at first and then they get used to it.

:flowerforyou: Gloria, I agree with you that following a structured plan is a good route to weight loss.

:brokenheart: Beth, I'm sorry your friends hurt your feelings...I hope you can move on and let it go

:flowerforyou: My day today was fun, as usual----dog walking, line dancing, leftovers for lunch, riding the exercise bike while watching TV, a visit with my friend who used to teach the line dance class I teach now, and time by myself since Jake went to the movies.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 24,000 steps today ----over an hour on the exercise bike---day ten on the plank challenge----another awesome line dance class

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else: you are the one who gets burned”---Buddha
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Pat, it’s hard to believe that woman is 90. Wow. What a dancer. I couldn’t dance that well when I was 18!

Heather, you paint such engaging word pictures. I’ve enjoyed every minute of hearing about your vacation. Cornwall in the sunshine sounds beautiful.

Carol, I’m sending hugs. Even the suspicion of RA is daunting. My sister has it and has a great attitude about it, but I know she makes an extra effort. It sounds as though you are doing a good job of weighing the options when it comes to moving someplace new and selling the old place.

Sylvia, enjoyed the story about Bruno and the bunny. :happy: Dogs can be so funny. Years ago, my nephew’s Vizsla, Chester, would bark like mad whenever he saw himself in the mirror. Who the heck was that other dog??!!

Beth, your friend is not much of a friend. I hope she realizes just how bad her behavior was. First of all, it wasn't nice to say hurtful things. Second of all, it was regarding a Bible study!!!!! That's a classic. :laugh: I don't think I'd go out of my way to make her feel better. Honesty about how it felt might be very effective.

I had a similar situation a few years ago where I accidentally received a text talking about me that was meant for someone else. It still stings. :angry: But I know it said more about the sender than it did about me. Truly. We'll never be everybody's favorite. That's fair. (I might not like it, but it's fair, lol.) But, the least someone should do is to be honest and direct. I don't have a lot of time for people who aren't. Hmm. Come to think, I wouldn't WANT to be in a Bible study with someone so hypocritical. :noway: :laugh: :noway:

I finally got home today (finally!) to two new kitties. Their current home is our shared bathroom. I took Izzy (my 13 lb mini-poodle/yorkie mix) in there to meet them. She didn’t know what to do. She loves to chase cats (unfortunately, none has ever turned around to give her what-for, so she’s never learned not to). But, there was nowhere for them to run, therefore no opportunity for her to chase. I hope they get to be friends.

Food/eating have been going well. I got to Curves (gym) again – 3rd day in a row. I had to drag myself in there but then was glad I’d gone. I will be happy if (I hope it’s when!), working out is something I can’t wait to do instead of something I want to avoid.

It usually takes a couple of days of dragging around to adjust to being home. Maybe it’s the altitude change – home is a couple thousand feet higher. I never plan to and never want to go through this draggy transition period, but it always seems to happen. Maybe working out this morning before driving home will help. I had a nice healthy lunch too.

Sending good thoughts your way and, Carol, prayers for good news from the rheumatologist.

Mimi
    :heart:
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Good evening all you amazons in the war against fat and inflexibility,

went on a long bike ride today and ran in some areas where the paths were still covered with mud but the weather was beautiful and I could do 58 miles.

I still have not found a solution for my insomnia problem, though it has not been as bad in the last few nights.

I wish I would have a full proof recipe for all the new ladies seeking a solution for the battle of the bulge.

But I think one thing is true, we are not so young anymore and what had worked in the earlier decades of our lives does not apply anymore. I certainly realized that I cannot eat whatever appeals to me without paying the price for it. I also learned that I have to stand on that scale every day and cannot allow the weight to creep up on me. And I certainly learned that being a couch potato does not help my strength, flexibility or looks.

Food is not so important for me anymore. In the sense of gourmet food. I have eaten all the cuisines of the world and now I look at food mainly as fuel for my body. It does not make a car faster if you pour too much fuel into it, it only runs well with the right amount and the right kind and I think that is true for us too. I seek inspiration by people who embrace their age and are not desperately denying it.

I found a nice quote today by a guy called Tom Ford, who seems to be jeweler:

"I am tired of the cult of youth. The cultural rejection of old age, the stigmatization of wrinkles, grey hair, of bodies furrowed by the years. I am fascinated by Diana Vreeland, Georgia O’Keeffe and Louise Bourgeois, women who have let time embrace them without ever cheating. Society today condemns this, me, I celebrate it."

I so agree with him. And Georgia O’Keefe and Louise Bourgeois are role models for me, I am not so familiar with Diana Vreeland.

Anne in the rapidly drying desert
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday and have seen my doctor. She prescribed 500mg Cephalexin 4 times a day for my spotty, itchy rash. I have to see her again next week with printouts of my daily foods and she will decide if I need to see diatician, she thinks not. She will see if my rash has improved. I have to shower and use olive oil on my skin and only walk 40 minutes with the dog every day until she sees my rash. Also told me to stop taking the protein shakes this next week too. Trying to keep between 1600 and 2000 calories a day
    Argh only just started training again sob sob

I have found who my REAL friends are and those that think they can use me and I keep well away from them now

Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I am part of a medical chart on line and all of my doctors participate in it so I will get the lab work. Who knows, I may print it out ad take it with me to the nuerologist office. The cardiologist suggested that I call her and tell her of the new diagnosis and that I had the monitor and echo and everything was oK to see if she had any idea. So I could just tell them then that the lab is done and if they don't get it in a timely fashion to call the hospital to get it.

Sylvia, we once had a precious cat named Penny when I was growing up, My parents got her as a kitten when my oldest sister was home alone, she had an arm amputated when she was 18 and was alone for several hours. Penny was a special, special cat. she would walk across the floor like she was ab beauty contestant. Every few feet she would stop and clean all 4 paws, then walk some more. We loved watching her be a Mom to her kittens, it was very educational to us kids. Every child needs to see an animal giving birth and it helps them understand a little about where babies come from. Anyway, back at the ranch, She was fiercely protective of her home. She was extremely gentle with all of us but there better never be an animal that comes close to the house. She once chased a German shephard police dog up a small tree. That thing was terrified of this cute cat! She was devastated when her beloved owner died. We had no idea that she was pregnant, it was her first littler and she had it underneath my deceased sisters bed. The poor little kitty didn't make it.

Gloria, has it really been 6 months since your Mom died. Time does fly. It will be one year this month that my MIL died. I think about both of them all the time. I wish I had been able to know my MIL in a time when she wasn't mentally ill.

I read tonight that they were going to get one lane both direction of the interstate that was washed out, I think in Nebraska. They are planning on doing it this week, by Friday. I don't see how and don't know if I could trust it. Our storm here has just started. It won't be anything like some of you have had though.

Beth, sorry you had to be on the recieving end of those texts. I truly believe in forgiveness, at least once. If they are truly friends you can all work things out. I'm sure it has taught that person a lesson and hopefully she feels mortified over it. But God gave you a gift through all of it. You got tomatoes!!!

Trulabfloyd. I totally agree with what Barbie said. You need to decide which is more important, sticking to your diet or 'not hurting a friends feelings. If she is a true friend, her feelings won't be hurt. She needs to know that not only you but maybe other people also may be declining some of her special treats. While I was working as a nurse, my passion was in patient and family teaching so I rarely pass up an opportunity to teach some one what I need and why

Mimi, new kitties, my favorite!!! Their eyes are so big and their skin so soft and their meows are so tiny.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Alison: thinking of you going to the funeral.
    Vicki: I hear you. I’m not myself at the moment either; haven’t been since getting back from vacation. Hard to get back on track.
    Joyce: I’ve got the same “extra beats”; landed in the hospital for them a couple of months ago, but apparently they’re benign.
    Gloria: isn’t it a strange feeling? Thinking of you.
    Beth: annoying text situation. And besides the complaining itself; the complaints don’t seem grounded. Hope it doesn’t totally ruin your experience there.

Thanks to everybody for the good wishes for my dog; keep ’em coming! The vet took the drain out yesterday and checked him. Apparently he’s progressing OK. Of course I want him to be better YESTERDAY. Vision: he does see at some level; not sure how close he is to what he was before. (He has always had limited vision; long story.) The eye doctor says he can continue to improve now that the abscess is gone. The optic nerve has to heal. He can stop wearing the Cone of Shame tomorrow or the next day, if he doesn’t try to do too much with his eye area. He's not chewing hard food yet; I'm still giving him canned food "soup" with a bit of dry food mixed in (which he swallows whole). Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine for another ten days.

Job situation is STILL unclear. Very frustrating that the plans aren't yet being shared with those involved; there are only a couple of months until the big change. I have an appointment next week with the HR person to see what rights I have (unemployment, retraining etc.) if I need them.

The mini-renovations are progressing. One of the 4 rooms we're fixing up has been painted and carpeted, so that's done. At the moment three windows are being replaced (one of which broke upon installation :huh: ). After that we'll continue with a second room. The kitchen has been fixed up a little too, with reasonably nice-looking laminate on the floor (I'm not really a fan of laminate floors) and a new cabinet with drawers.

So there's a, uh, "boat" load of stuff going on here. Having trouble getting a handle on the stress eating.

Hope everybody has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Beth - I honestly don't know if Lynette eats in secret or not. I do remember when she and Ken stayed with us at the condo (at the time of the last space shuttle launch) for a few days, even then she didn't eat a whole lot. I do remember one morning when she went to McD's for breakfast, Ken called us to ask us if we wanted anything. Well, we had already eaten. I do remember when she ate the egg McMuffin my thought was "its almost as if she's savoring every bite". I just don't know. I do know that she and Ken have a "different" relationship. It works for them. It's sort-of co-dependent. they're constantly texting each other etc. Well, as long as it works for them that's what's important. I was so sad to read about your "friend". It's nice that you can rise above it all and still be friends. Nothing like fresh tomatoes...you lucky duck you.

barbie - what is the plank challenge?

mimi - welcome to the land of cat ownership! Sounds like you're doing well introducing the dog and the kitties.

Joyce - I never heard of a medical chart online! What a great thing! So sorry about Penny. Yes, cats have a certain way of knowing things

One more night with Lance and Shadow and then Jess comes down here. Again, where does the time go???

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,731 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I didnt get out of work until 6:15 and when I got to the wake the line was out the door...this is a pretty small town and everyone knows everyone.. so everybody shows up, it was great to see alot of the kids from our old neighborhood, Marc's mom was just thrilled to have me there which felt good.. I talked with his dad, and asked if he remembered me, I said you know Sean yes he remembered him, he said oohh Nancy lol I said same family but that was my mom I guess I look alot like my mom because I got that quite a few times
    Marc was big into music and guitars,so he was creamated,there were his guitars there collages with lots of pictures, will have to get a better look this morning,because his daughter says i am in alot of them:noway:
    Sean, Jean and I sent a beautiful basket that has plants in it that each of the family can take afterwards
    I ate alright but went over my calories last night.. getting dressed and will try and get a walk in before coming home taking a shower and going to the funeral..
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    I went last night and did the new hire paper work for LA Fitness, I will talk to my boss at the Y, hopefully we can work this out. AT LA they had me sign an agreement that I wouldn't promote the Y while on their property. I can do the same for the Y if they want me to. We will see, I want to personal train but I really want to teach water fitness as well plus they have evening yoga classes available and I so want to get back into that.
    For a few weeks now I haven't felt exactly right, I've felt off balance and sometimes dizzy. I figured that maybe my blood pressure was high and I'd have to adjust my meds. Yesterday it was really bad so I went to the nurse and my blood pressure was 73/50. Wow, I can't remember it ever being that low. So, I have to get a hold of my doctor, who is on vacation this week, and find out what to do. Right now I take a water pill and a blood pressure pill. The nurse told me to skip the bp one today and we will take it again. In the mean time she wanted me to drink lots, incl Gateraade (which I never drink) and eat salted peanuts and banana. So I incl a half banana in my protein shake and ate the peanuts yesterday. Plus tons of water. We will just have to wait and see. I do feel a difference though, I am not dizzy today and can focus better.

Carol, I hope things work out with the townhouse, and selling yours. I keep thinking of selling mine, it is just geting to be to much and the thought of major repairs that will sooner or later have to be dealt with leave me with sleepless nights.

Beth, So sorry to hear you went through that with your supposed friend. I, to am hearing impaired and understand your frustration.

Mimi, Welcome home!

Lesley, Hang in there girl, hopefully you will get to the source of the rash and get it taken care of.

Time to go make coffee and get to work.

No worries ladies,
    have a great day!
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    It's a new day!

Thanks for the comments about my friends ... valuable lesson learned there ... but I am not one to hold grudges, so will carry on. Seriously, I thought this kind of stuff ended in high school! Probably why I have never had a lot of female friendships.

DS#2 continues to be plagued with a migraine again today ... still home from school ... more calls to his neurologist... suspect he'll be on prednisone soon.

DS#1 is having difficulties securing responsible personal care aides ... so heading out to his place soon to get him up for the day and then off to work.

We're getting the rain today ... that's ok, need to do inside work later.

Have a great day!
    Beth
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It's like autumn here this morning. Cool and trying to rain. We managed to stay dry on our walk to school, although two out of three kids fell and scraped their knees, so the first stop was to the nurse's office once we got to school. They were wearing shorts for some reason, even though the temperature was only 60.

Beth, I've had "friends" like that before. I'm sorry for the hurt they caused. And I sure wish you could get some relief from the stress about your sons. It's a lot to deal with. I probably should not say this, and I'm sure it won't come out right, but if those "friends" were so all-fired dedicated to that Bible Study, then they should have learned something from it already, like how to be a better person. You would think that would be covered in that book somewhere.

Patty, good luck with your new job.

Cynthia, continued good wishes for that sweet puppy. Give him a hug from me. I'm not crazy about laminate floors either. We put them down at the lake and it was a mistake. They were supposed to be "commercial quality" but after about 6 years they are sort of coming apart in places. And they sound odd when you walk on them. Not like a wood floor. Of course, we put down bamboo hardwood at the main house and it cupped pretty badly, so sometimes you just can't win.

Lots of work to do this morning, so I'd better get to it. I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Trulabfloyd: It seems to me that plateaus exist for everyone, and I’ve never been able to assign a reason for those I’ve experienced, other than my body is adjusting. It takes time to build a new lifestyle. Be patient with yourself while you’re making changes you can sustain.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Maybe your friend Lynette is a big snacker at home, but eats little in front of witnesses. Or perhaps her eating is good and she simply needs to move more. If she wants to get healthy, I hope she’ll ask you for advice, because you are a star. Cat ownership? I always felt as though my cat thought she was the master and I was “staff.”:laugh:

Pat in OH: Thanks for your congratulations. The new DGS is doing well, and so are the other members of his family. I’m happy being home. I do wish it was easier to visit DD. Colorado is a LONG way from Oregon.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m with you on the cooking. I make food without salt and anybody who wants more is welcome to salt away. We have saltshakers on the table at every meal. I love today’s joke. The Sharks got em--:laugh: :laugh:

Beth: With friends like the mother of your DS’s best friend, you don’t need enemies. I think you did the right thing by responding to both friends and asking if they knew you were getting the messages. We haven’t belonged to a church in years, and it is NOT because we lack faith in God. We’ve had very negative social experiences within church groups.:grumble:

Barbie: I remain in awe of all that you manage to do each day.:flowerforyou:

Mimi: The altitude change between here (50 feet above sea level) & CO is daunting. When we drive the distance, we seem to adjust along the way. Flying there, I had three days of low energy at a time when I had lots to do. After I adjusted, I still had lots to do, but everything was easier.:flowerforyou:

Anne: 58 miles on a bike! You are amazing. I agree about embracing our age. Several of my near neighbors are the same age as me. We refer to ourselves as the 49ers.:flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Hooray! I’m not sure what other pleasures the day will bring, but I’m looking forward to finding out. 19 days to go before DH’s surgery. I’m planning to count it down. I hope all goes very well and he experiences a miracle.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!