WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello did some reading but not all the way back. Just kind of feeling under the weather or should I say like the weather. We had a terrible rain and wind storm and it's cold. Feels like fall has hit us. Ran out of power don't know what time it was. But having no air in CPAP woke me up. So got hubby up to plug the sump pump in the generator. Don't need water all over the basement. Needless to say I'm tired but promised a friend I'd meet her for lunch. Oh well can always go to bed when I get back. A well needed nap will be needed.

Went to tops last night lost .8 not a lot but keeps me on the bus. We have a contest called three strikes your off the bus. I sure didn't want a strike on my first night. It runs until the 16 of Dec. or until only one remains on the bus and club gives her 30 dollars. Hope I can win it. Going to work at it.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke of the day:

:happy:

"Cash, check or charge?" the cashier asked after folding items the woman wished to purchase. As the woman fumbled for her wallet, the cashier noticed a remote control for a television set in her purse.

"Do you always carry your TV remote?" the cashier asked.

"No," she replied. "But my husband refused to come shopping with me, so I figured this was the most evil thing I could do to him."

:bigsmile:

I'm halfway done with my drafting. Gonna break for lunch now. I brought leftover Orange Cranberry meat balls.

Bye again!

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Just waking up after a short nap!:bigsmile:

Beth - so sorry about your worries with your sons.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    My DS#1 at last emailed me today and said he couldn't come to the brewery birthday party.:cry: The train line was being repaired.:cry: He also said he is still struggling badly with depression and is changing his medication again. The last lot made him too tired to exercise and he put on a lot of weight. (He is an award winning athlete coach). Poor man.:brokenheart: He wants to come down to visit everyone when we are in NYC, so I hope he can change his holiday dates.

Today we went to Trelissick gardens which is on the south coast of Cornwall. We thoroughly enjoyed the Woodland Walk which had beautiful views of the estuary. I walked for about 2 hours which is my limit. By the end I had excruciating groin strain which is only now wearing off. About ten years ago I had it really badly for a year so I was a bit worried, but all seems ok right now.. We visited the craft gallery and I fell in love with a pair of earrings! They are gold plated silver in the shape of rose hips. Delightful. DH bought them for me for my 65th birthday which is in 3 weeks time.:bigsmile: Then I bought myself a beautiful ceramic bowl in grey, blue and pink accents, which matches my living room perfectly. It is gorgeous! I will put it on the tv cabinet with my Cornish plate I bought last holiday.:bigsmile:

Tonight we will drive down to the cove with the fish and chip shop and eat them on the beach. Then have a beer in the Driftwood Spars, an old smuggling haunt, before we come home for our last night. It has been a lovely holiday. I was so exhausted when we started, with our looking after the two grandchildren, that I wondered whether it was worth driving alk this long way, but we have had a wonderful time and the change of scene has been a real vitaliser. Now got to get back in harness on the eating front.:noway:

Love to all. Heather in sunny and beautiful Cornwall UK
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    It's a new day!

Thanks for the comments about my friends ... valuable lesson learned there ... but I am not one to hold grudges, so will carry on. Seriously, I thought this kind of stuff ended in high school! Probably why I have never had a lot of female friendships.

DS#2 continues to be plagued with a migraine again today ... still home from school ... more calls to his neurologist... suspect he'll be on prednisone soon.

DS#1 is having difficulties securing responsible personal care aides ... so heading out to his place soon to get him up for the day and then off to work.

Beth,you sure don't need those type friends :angry: Don't they know the daily family problems you live with? Do they live perfect lives? Even so,it doesn't 't give them leave to talk behind your back! Sounds like they need manners & neither knows what a good friend is:noway: They need to up the bible study,but some ppl are what they are.
    A few yrs ago I went thru something similar with a couple of women who USED to be "friends".I have always been able to put such things behind me. Life is too short for spending precious time with back stabbers.

Feel bad about the migraines.I'm sure your son has been tested for everything. I have to stay away from artifical sweetners.Hope his Dr can help,they are such painful,sickening things to get thru.

Had stuffed peppers yesterday & made enough for supper today.fresh broccoli & salad to go with. Pat

PS Mom was a great dancer .....we loved watching the parents jitterbug.

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.
    Cool thurs day-temps in the 50`s.
    Doing some baking and laundry.
    HUGSjane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well the funeral was nice, as funerals go,he had a nice sent off his daughter got up and read about him, some very funny stuff..
    he was a straight shooter, either you liked him or you didn't and he could care less if you didn't... he had 2 weimeraner's that he adored.. his daughter found a wonderful wonderful home for them ,together, that has a ton of land, doggie doors and room to roam.. I think Marc might have had a hand in that move there:bigsmile: had a few small sandwiches and a few sweets at the after gathering, and now have a stomach ache.. I am pouring water into myself to help flush it all out...
    well made the DH dinner now just waiting for him to get home..
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

I took a rest day yesterday. Hubby and I went to lunch then some shopping. I did not eat healthy, but did not eat a lot. I did enjoy every bite and sip. We gave Puppy Brian a bath today. He has some poodle mixed in with Maltese. I wish my hair curled like his! He does not like the hair dryer, he finally started little growls to let us know he was done. He does not bite. We were immediately forgiven and got lots of kisses! He looks so pretty now, all white and fluffy.

Today I did strength training for upper body and then some treadmill. It is nice and cool today so I will make a pot of soup for dinner. I've been missing making soup this summer but it been too hot to enjoy it.

Heather, your trip sounds wonderful!

Beth, I'm so sorry your friend hurt you. You are a very classy lady to forgive and move forward.

Alison, it's so nice they found a good home for the weimeraners, together.

Hugs to all I missed.

Cindy in OK
  • FitnActive50plus
    Options
    What does Bump mean?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

:drinker:

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Went to lunch with the bunch of teachers with whom I taught. Stopped at a store and found out the name of the name of my squash. It is called a Kabocha. They were from Mexico. The ones I have are a brighter green because of their freshness.

Not working much yet which is fine by me. I like the retirement schedule.

Trying to make good choices when I go out to eat, so it does not effect my weigh in tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    dosinga - Bump is a way to mark one's place in the thread. Welcome!

I took my daughter to look at the townhouse last night. I asked if she could see me living there and she said yes. I asked if she could see me living happily there and she said yes. I have asked my agent to go ahead and write up the offer. Lots of prayers, good vibes, crossed fingers, etc., please!!

My pain levels grew as the day went on yesterday. By the time I got home, I was so miserable I couldn't even sit down for more than a few minutes because everything hurt so much. I gave in and took a pain pill at bedtime. I got some pretty good sleep once I found a (mostly) comfortable position. I was really stiff this morning, but have felt better as the day has gone along today.

A question for all of you nurses - I am tender under my lower ribs on the left side. From my reading, I deduced that the spleen is probably what is sensitive and more than likely it is due to inflammation in my body. Do my deductions sound correct?

Beth - I'm so sorry you had to deal with your "friends" and the text messages. That had to have really hurt! I hope your boys are dong better.

Alison - I'm sorry about your friend. He sounds like he was quite a character!

Cynthia - I'm glad that your furbaby has shown some improvement!

Joyce - Have they checked your oxygen levels since it doesn't seem to be your heart making you woozy?

Michele - Did you see me waving Friday and Sunday afternoons?

Heather - I want to be on your holiday trip with you!

Thanks to all of you for your support with both the house situation and the health issues! I surely hope something good happens soon!

The boy child is coming in on the 7 p.m. train today! I haven't seen him for a month! We'll need to stop by the grocery store on the way home, I'm sure. I keep it lean on food in the house since he's been gone.

I hope all of you have a wonderful evening (or morning, if you're down under somewhere)!

Carol in NC
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kittytoo
    Options
    Dosinga - a bump is how you save your place.

Went outside this morning and it was beautiful and cool. Fall is coming. None too soon. Did not have to drive to my new part-time job today, so worked on the back porch until it got too hot, then had a dip in the pool before going inside to work on work. It's nice to have a job you can do from home, but I almost forgot that Monday is Sept. 15 and S-Corp and Partnership tax returns are due. AACK! Got one finished up and took a break. I am stress eating today. Ugh.

DH took my car and drove it to Mexico alone for his dental appointment. I feel bad making him go alone. He left me his truck, but I won't take it out unless it's an emergency, so I am basically stuck at home today, even if I was all caught up on work. I went out a little while ago and our dog, Caleb, was moping by the garage door, waiting for the car to return. I think he didn't realize DH took it, because now he is keeping me company in my office.

Last night in dance class, my ankle made a loud cracking noise - no pain, but a small residual ache. This morning the ache and the pain in my back I've had for three years are both gone.... I think I must have un-pinched a nerve. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Vicki - maybe you ate badly on your vacation, but made up for it by being more active. Congrats on actually losing a bit. That's a real accomplishment!

Katla - try making some of those cherry tomatoes into tomato jam. I did that with my excess and it was MARVELOUS. The first pint was gone in a week. The men of my house devoured it.

Carol in NC - have you considered renting your old condo if it does not sell?

Trula - I am like you. I have been logging EVERYTHING for over 4 weeks and lost maybe .8 of a pound. I know it gets harder as you get closer to goal, but this is ridiculously slow. I really need to be 143 again - my clothes are all just 1 size too small (tight across the bust, sigh). DH doesn't complain, but I don't want to buy/make new clothes.

Sylvia - sounds like you have the right idea for introducing your dog and the new cats. That's the best way in my experience. Caleb is a cat-chaser, but we took in a roommate with a cat. Caleb learned quickly that Blondini was "his" cat and not to chase her. He still chases other cats.

Gloria - my sympathies on the loss of your Mom.

Beth - your "friends" aren't learning much from their "Bible Study." I recommend they make a study of Matthew 7:12.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I joined a group that is doing a plank challenge for September. The group has a link to a challenge that has a plan of starting with about 30 seconds on day 1 and then gradually increasing during the month with some rest days until the plank is five minutes after 30 days. Some other people suggested a challenge that starts you at the longest you can hold the plank with increases during the month. Others suggested doing both forearm planks and side planks. What is interesting is that there are 43 people signed up in the group
    15 posted on day 2 and only 6 posted yesterday. I decided that the biggest challenge for me was to do a plank every day. I started at under a minute and have gradually increased to 2 minutes 40 seconds this morning. I think I figured out a good time to do the plank so I don’t forget. It doesn’t matter to me that I’m only challenging myself because that is my style in everything I do.

:flowerforyou: Anne, the best decision I made for this new lifestyle was to give up food and eating for recreation. I eat the same food all the time and don’t my time with cooking and meal planning.

:flowerforyou: Patty, I wish you good luck in working out a balance between the Y and LA Fitness

:flowerforyou: Beth, I don’t have many women friends…..I can get along with everyone but I limit my friendships to very few.

:heart: Cynthia, Brandy and Sasha send hugs to your puppy.

:bigsmile: Katla, I like your attitude of wondering what other pleasures the day will bring.

:laugh: :laugh: Sylvia, great joke about the remote

:flowerforyou: LinC., your TOPS group sounds a good support system.

:flowerforyou: Carol, just keep on going and trust that all will work out for your housing situation.

:flowerforyou: KIttyloo, good to hear about your pain relief

:bigsmile: Brandy and Sasha went to the dog groomer today. Jake finally had to concede that his arthritis was too bad and he couldn’t groom them anymore. It was expensive but they look awesome.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday and woke to my first day of NO training for a week except walking the beagle. SO I am washing all the bed sheets and towels, ironing clothes, cleaning bedrooms, baking and deadheading flowers.
    It will be hard NOT to train but have to obey doctor's orders for the week, taking the medication and flushing nose with the saline stuff and cleaning teeth after very meal. Oh my
    Food cals at 1746 for today, all is well
    I did the plank challenge on Jillian's site, would join in but not allowed this week lol

Lesley in Tasmania
  • marciamuse2
    Options
    Well, hopefully 3rd time is the charm. I've started to reply twice and keep hitting something wrong. Anyway, I just wanted to share that I love a recipe for spaghetti squash tacos at Allrecipies site. I put it in a gluten free tortilla with guacamole. Know that I'm lurking even if I'm not good at this posting business!
    Marcia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Linda, don't you just hate it when power goes out and your CPAP stops working??? Rude awakening!!! My CPAP blocks the nose so I gave no oxygen at all if that CPAP doesn't work. I gave up using mine when I lost the bulk of what I have lost but I do snore when I lay on my back so I should go back on it. It's jsut that the head straps do a job on a hair style

Michelle.the program to view my bhart is called "View my chart online". I get emails if there is anything new on it like lab work, xrays, reminder about a doctor's appointment, etc. I can send a message and it has always been answered in one day. The office has to give me my 'portal' number. Test results are only put on there at the doctors discretion. My neurologist and family doc put all the tests up, Charlies cardiologist does but mine did not, wish she would. You also have the ability to print them off.

What is up with seceral of us and our B/P problems!!!!

Loved the joke Sylvia

Finally got all my bills paid. I am such a procrastinator and some of these bills are two months old. But now they are all paid!!!! As far as I know the only bill I haven't paid is the rest of our vacation rental. The other two places we have rented from said that it had to be paid by a certain date but this place said remainder paid by day of arrival. I have my wedding rings on!!!! My finger and hand looks so different. I haven't worn them since winter. Now my neck feels empty without a necklace and I'm not a jewelry wearer!!!

Beautiful weather!!!!!! Going to have lunch with the most special 7 year old tomorrow for her schools Grandparent day celebration. Don't have anything to do after lunch is over since no one is at home yet and I don't like their dog and I knwo I will want to clean their house. So we will probably go to the mall and window shop. I have never been to an Apple store except when we went to 'The Mall of America' but I just may go. I think it is probably the Mac Air I will buy for Christmas. I don't do a lot on my computer except recreational, bill pay, etc. I don't download programs to make spreadsheets, budgets, that kind f things. So I don't need a lot of space.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did about 45 minutes of Brooke Burke's Transform Your Body DVD. My note says that it is an hour, but I have a feeling it was more like 45 minutes. Tomorrow's plan is to take my aluminum to the humane society and then take the deep water class.

Confession time: After the general meeting yesterday, there were some mini cinnamon rolls left over, so as I usually do, I took them home and I'll donate them to the soup kitch. However...today I had one. Put them into the freezer since I need to get the donations from the church next Sunday so I'll take them Monday. But in the meantime, they're out of sight.

Pat - I always feel bad for those checkers who can't figure out even the simplest of things. So many times (too many) I've had to tell the checker how much change I should get, explain to him/her how I figured it out, etc. Usually, they call a manager over and the manager says exactly what I said. It's such a shame, kids can't even figure out the simplest of math problems. Glad you got the correct price. Do hope you get to FL this winter

Patty - is there any possibility that you can teach water fitness at your Y? I realize they probably don't pay as much as LA Fitness. When Vince has Gatorade, he gets the G2 series which is lower in calories. Take care of yourself

Got this one sign laminated today, then I had a little time to kill so I went to a store (didn't buy anything), then to lunch with some of the neighborhood ladies at Olive Garden. I just had the minestrone soup and salad (no dressing, no crutons or olives). Logged it and I was amazed at the sodium in the soup. I thought I tasted salt. Came home, went in the pool, then to Aldi, then browned up some ground beef for the lasagna I made for Jess and Vince. Had dinner, now I'm here. I need to run the dishwasher.

Lin - good luck on "the bus"

Heather - I'm so sorry your son can't come to the brewery party. I know you were looking forward to seeing him. I guess you're still going to go?

Cindy - at least you enjoyed your food, that's important

Carol - so glad you got the offer going for the townhouse. So that was YOU waving, I was wondering who it was!!!!

barbie - for some reason I can't seem to hold my plank longer than 2 min 30 sec. Must be a mental block. Congrats to you!

Michele in NC
  • AndraKC
    AndraKC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

It's so nice to read through the posts and see so many women who are doing wonderful and amazing things. All of you are an inspiration. I spent today reading research articles and interviewing children due to maltreatment. It's an amazing job and I feel blessed to work in a field that I love. After work, the darling husband and I attended our local farmer's market. The tomatoes were spilling out of the many booths, along with black-eyed peas, bell peppers, and zucchini. Alas, no more peaches or ears of corn. We are so blessed to have many dedicated farmers share the fruits of their labors. Love to see all the colors of the produce.

Came home and made Orange Chicken (took an Allrecipe.com recipe and reduced both the sugar and fat and added peppers and onion. Yum! Walked this evening. There was lightening in the southern sky but alas no rain. Looking forward to having some cooler temperatures soon and lower humidity.

September Resolutions

Lose 5 pounds
    Walk 5 out of 7 days
    Make good choices when on the road for work (will be on the road for almost 5 weeks and am determined to not only NOT gain weight but continue to lose)
    Do body weight exercises 2 days/week

Andra from Northern Alabama
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I read my email when I get on my desk top after supper. Had an email notifying me of new messages from View my chart. Sure enough my lab work was back that my neurologist orders every 6 months for my MS medicine. For the first time since View my hcart has been on line, 2008, my blood sugar was completely normal. It has flirted with 99 before like 101 or even worse 100 but this one was 96!!!!!My sodium is much better also. But I am off my water pill now with this new condition plus I am trying to increase my sodium intake rather than watch it.

Daughter texted me while she was at work. the company she works at has bought new office chairs and were going to throw away the old ones:noway: Granted some of these look like the typical ones we all have sat on in an waiting room at the doctors office. But they are fine. Everyone could take for free a maximum of 4. She set out 4 of the heftier ones with arms but some one kind of moved some of hers out of her pile and into theirs. So she had two nice ones and two that I really prefferred because they are stackable. There are so many organizations that are crying for furniture for free or reduced price. Why would some one say take them or they are going to the dump? but our kitchen chairs are all old and we got them from Salvation Army and aren't in good shape. We have tried to reglue them to make them more sturdy but the legs still come out of the base. So we really have to watch who sits on them when we have our big family meals here. So now we have 4 very sturdy chairs. The don't match whatsoever. heck, they don't even match themselves.

Got to go to bed early tonight!!! Good night, Joyce in wonderful Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Michele: you're allowed to have a cinnamon roll! :smile:

Cynthia :flowerforyou: