1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Current training numbers for 1 rep:

Squats: 345 (I can do this for low reps but can't get depth at a higher weight)
    Deads: 405
    Bench 275

I still have a long way to go to my goals
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Squats - 153
    Deads - 253
    Bench - 123

I'm trying to cut some weight/body fat and I'm coming back post lower body injury so I haven't done a true squat in a long time for a ORM. I'd like to compete strongman at some point once i get my glutes/hams working better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not near the 1000# club but I'm a girl so I doubt I'll ever get there!

rubbish.

never let your gender hold you down- it's not a handicap!
    350 dead
    250 squat
    and 200 bench gets us to 800 pounds

200 gets us to 900
    so - it's do-able- may just take forever- but never say I cant' because I"m a girl. Ever.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    1000 lb club? I'm more like in the 100lb club cuz my arms are weak as hell. :(

Thats what I said!

Except my whole body is weak
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    1000 lb club? I'm more like in the 100lb club cuz my arms are weak as hell. :(

Thats what I said!

Except my whole body is weak

You can fix that. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

No. A belt doesn't prevent butt wink. I think you need to go off and do some research. Just wanted to remind you that this whole thing started over you stating "it only counts if it's ATG" and "toes can't go over knees". Now adding in the belt comment, I think you need to learn a lot more before trying to make absolute statements or giving advice.

Also, it's one thing to go ATG with 135. It's something entirely different with an actual working weight (like I asked for video of). At least now you realize that due to structure and mechanics it is impossible to reach ATG with knees behind toes. I highly suggest for your own benefit you have someone record your squat sessions for a while.

squat is apparently one lift where my highschool gym really lead me astray lol.

i'm confused by "toes can't go over knees". I"m thinking your talking about the statement often heard 'your knees should not extend past your toes'.

Are you just saying that you couldn't get super low, like and inch off the ground, without extending your knees beyond your toes?

or are you also saying that its not a safety concern at all?

Yopeeps was indicating that your toes must remain behind the knees and cannot extend past that. It's false, you should not restrict your knees to stay behind your toes (there were several links posted earlier that talk about why).

It is impossible to get super low (ATG) without your knees extending past your toes. It is mechanically impossible, you will end up on your butt or face.

i found this, not sure if it was posted earlier, seemed like a good explination to me:

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/562/is-it-ever-okay-for-your-knees-to-extend/

basically said that its a general rule, good for preventing a large audience from injuring themselves with bad form. They went on to say that it is a myth, but that allowing the knee to travel excessively beyond the knee should still be avoided. Apparently it can place about 28% greater stress on the joint, but NOT allowing the knee to travel beyond the toes would increase stress on the hips by 1000%. So IF it causes undue stress on your knees, its still reducing undue stress on your body as a whole.

there is an interesting exercise that has you hold a broom stick straight down your spine in order to keep a straight back and hinge more at the hips then the knees.

When it comes to knees, you can probably tell a lot just by feel. In other words, if your experiencing pain then its probably due to bad from rather then lack of ROM.

that being said, at 36 years old, after sitting out for almost a year due to exercise related injury, i'm simply done swinging for the fences every time. parrallel or just a hair below is effective enough for me, and i don't feel like pushing my luck for something that probably wont make much differnce when i look in the mirror.

Not that anyone asked for my 02 cents but thats pretty much what was going through my head when i was looking at Yopeeps pics, tho hats off to him for taking a lot of time to improve his form.

don't mind me, some of you might remember that it took a lot to convince me that breaking parrallel on squats was ok lol.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not near the 1000# club but I'm a girl so I doubt I'll ever get there!

rubbish.

never let your gender hold you down- it's not a handicap!
    350 dead
    250 squat
    and 200 bench gets us to 800 pounds

200 gets us to 900
    so - it's do-able- may just take forever- but never say I cant' because I"m a girl. Ever.

You are 100% right! I shouldn't say that! I would love to get my number up that high!!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    At 56 years old, my most recent lifts were 350 squat, 275 bench, 450 deadlift for a 1075 total.
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    I AM the thread killer!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I AM the thread killer!

The thread was almost dead when you joined it. haha
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I AM the thread killer!

The thread was almost dead when you joined it. haha

It's because there is a very small percentage of people who want to see there strength gains get pretty high.
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    It's nice to have a 'safe' place to do a little bragging and be proud of our accomplishments.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    It's nice to have a 'safe' place to do a little bragging and be proud of our accomplishments.

Yeah man lifting takes dedication. We should all be proud for how far we have come so far.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yup, no judgement here. You put a lot of sweat and pain into being able to put up those numbers.

I'm hoping to try out 225 bench with a spotter by the end of the month.

That would put me at 900, as a noob. Or i'll just get stapled to the bench. lol.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Yup, no judgement here. You put a lot of sweat and pain into being able to put up those numbers.

That would put me at 900, as a noob. Or i'll just get stapled to the bench. lol.

Stapled is never fun. I was asking for a spotter from 235+. Got that and 245+ up once. I attempted 250 and completely failed. ( On Monday)
  • dbmata
    Options

Stapled is never fun. I was asking for a spotter from 235+. Got that and 245+ up once. I attempted 250 and completely failed. ( On Monday)

Nice. 245 is excellent, good job. What as your goal for that session, max weight?

My 200 went up easy at the end of my high volume series, so if I were to go in fresh, and work low rep volume to warm up and then work on triples, and then singles past 200, I could probably hone in on my actual 1rm... just sketchy as hell using a spotter you don't know.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I happily bench in the power cage- even on max out days- so what I fail. I drop it on the pins.

I am really not interested at that point in "grinding out" the last one with help- either I did it- or I didn't.

I've found I really only ask for spots when I need to finish sets and I'm not interested in doing the roll of shame and crushing my ta-ta's.

jealous of the "200 went up easy"

FML 185 goes up quick- but 195- it goes up half way maybe and that's it - plink- nothing.

Think I need to work on tucking my elbows and blasting my triceps.

stupid 200. I WANT a TWO PLATE BENCH DAMNIT.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I happily bench in the power cage- even on max out days- so what I fail. I drop it on the pins.

I am really not interested at that point in "grinding out" the last one with help- either I did it- or I didn't.

I've found I really only ask for spots when I need to finish sets and I'm not interested in doing the roll of shame and crushing my ta-ta's.

jealous of the "200 went up easy"

FML 185 goes up quick- but 195- it goes up half way maybe and that's it - plink- nothing.

You want two plates. I want three plates maybe four one day.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Nice. 245 is excellent, good job. What as your goal for that session, max weight?

My 200 went up easy at the end of my high volume series, so if I were to go in fresh, and work low rep volume to warm up and then work on triples, and then singles past 200, I could probably hone in on my actual 1rm... just sketchy as hell using a spotter you don't know.

I tore my pec with a spotter. On Monday, my spotter thought I was gonna fail 245 and I said "I got this" in mid rep. I got stuck and the mid point. I also only rest for put weight on + 60 second phone timer. I know that my tank was empty at that point I just wanted to see were I would fail.

My moday bench work out was
    135x 10
    185x 5
    225x1
    235x1
    245x1
    250 x fail. It like I was scared to attempt or I was so fatigue I did want to. I could of turn it into a neg.
  • dbmata
    Options

Dips lady. On my bench days I'll put in a good amount of accessory work for endurance. Dips though are something I do to fill the void between exercises, get down and do 30 or so against the bench. Then once you're done with all that, do a couple sets of deep dips on your way out of the gym. Then do some pushups (until failure).

I also do some lat and delt stuff, but the dips I think have been really helpful. As well as the pushups.