Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options

Replies

• Carolynnr59
    Carolynnr59 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and am proof that a low-carb diet works! I've already lost 3 lbs in three weeks....slow it goes...but that's cool with me. I'm on this diet not only to lose weight but also to feel better. My health is suffering due to extreme back problems and lack of exercise. So, I've started walking on a treadmill (daily) at a moderate pace so I won't hurt my back more than it already hurts and have made extreme changes in my eating habits. Oh, I definitely fall off the wagon into something sweet or with bread, but after I see the carbs listed on my chart, I jump right back on the wagon. Basically, it really depends on how much someone wants something. If you want to lose weight and get healthy bad enough, you WILL make the necessary changes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Healthy body fat percentage.
    Fit enough to perform well in daily life, walk a few blocks, up a couple of flights of stairs.
    Strong enough to again, live life, be able to lift groceries and children, move small pieces of furniture, etc.
    Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure
    Acceptable blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels
    Healthy positives moods the majority of the time
    Able to function emotionally in daily life

So, if someone has depression and cannot function emotionally in daily life, they're unhealthy?

Is this a trick question? If you can't function emotionally in daily life, are you healthy?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As someone said in another thread or words to this effect: Put on your big girl panties and eat your vegetables!

To that I would add another: Stop arguing over the minutiae of your particular definitions for common terms!

standing-ovation.gif
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Fit enough to perform well in daily life, walk a few blocks, up a couple of flights of stairs.
    Strong enough to again, live life, be able to lift groceries and children, move small pieces of furniture, etc.
    Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

So, if someone has depression and cannot function emotionally in daily life, they're unhealthy?

Is this a trick question? If you can't function emotionally in daily life, are you healthy?

Mental and physical health are two different things.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to an individual's goals. Are they losing weight as part of an overall plan to become healthier? Or, do they just want to look better and hope some health benefits come with dropping the weight?
    For me, I want to live a long, healthy life. Avoiding the chemicals in processed foods is a part of the plan, in the same way that exercising daily, and getting to (and maintaining) a healthy weight are part of the plan.
    But all food and drink are made of chemicals. Peanut butter is processed (even the "natural ones) is chemically constructed and I doubt it actually deters health unless one is allergic to peanuts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Project2015
    Options
    I am a student in the healthcare field, You are very correct, it is about what you eat, much more than just calorie intake. If you eat fast food the amount of sodium alone you would intake will put water weight on you, destroy your kidneys, and not to mention cause hypertension, swelling in joints, and eventually flat out kill you, even if you're perfect weight # on scale to your height, Skinny Fat exists, if you're 105lbs and 5'2" you may be skinny, but say your body fat % is 29% you are not healthy. You're skinny, but have little to no muscle tone. not to mention fast food is literally loaded with cholesterol enough to clog your arteries.
    I think the way you went about giving them advice was fine, and they will someday end up with a heart attack or be just very sick in general, and they will have to wake up. Personally I learned some of this on my own the hard way. A lot of it I learned in school. From Doctors and Nurses who moonlight as instructors/professors, and medical books. But these types of people are self-destructive, and though you can lead a horse to water, you cannot force them to drink. so dont beat yourself up over it, because its not your fault. or your problem.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    As someone said in another thread or words to this effect: Put on your big girl panties and eat your vegetables!

To that I would add another: Stop arguing over the minutiae of your particular definitions for common terms!

standing-ovation.gif
    I think it is relevant on a health site to try to find common ground. Don't you? Debating a definition clearly means that not everyone is on the same page yet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

But they go hand in hand in OVERALL health, no?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

Oh man even if i manage all of them the last one is gonna sabotage me with all my mental issues lol. Frankly it boils down to eat what you want in moderation. You cant' trust what researchers or doctors say, they change their minds every time someone new waves a check under their noses to pay for the research.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and am proof that a low-carb diet works! I've already lost 3 lbs in three weeks....slow it goes...but that's cool with me. I'm on this diet not only to lose weight but also to feel better. My health is suffering due to extreme back problems and lack of exercise. So, I've started walking on a treadmill (daily) at a moderate pace so I won't hurt my back more than it already hurts and have made extreme changes in my eating habits. Oh, I definitely fall off the wagon into something sweet or with bread, but after I see the carbs listed on my chart, I jump right back on the wagon. Basically, it really depends on how much someone wants something. If you want to lose weight and get healthy bad enough, you WILL make the necessary changes.

See, but unless you have a medical condition most of the things listed as "bad" are unnecessary changes for health and fitness. Should one limit the amount of foods they consume? Yes, on all fronts. It's all about balance. Eating nothing BUT apples is not more healthy than eating nothing but pizza. There's this gray area in the middle that people seem to miss when making points.

I AM healthier. I AM in the best shape of my life. By being mindful of my nutrients I'm consuming while still fitting things in I enjoy I don't have to worry about "falling off the wagon", I'm walking instead.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I think the real question here is 'are you all about the bass?'
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Guess what Arnold Schwarzenegger drank and ate during his Mr. Olympia days...
    It wasn't clean eating thats for sure. (Drank a lot of pop, hot dogs, etc)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

I disagree. Mental health is a construct based on assigning the term "mental disorder" to specific symptoms we've historically had trouble defining or measuring. It is very much grounded in physical processes.

Depression has physical pain as a symptom.

Diabetes has a mood/emotional component.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

Do you realise how tied the mind and body actually are?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OP, you clearly missed IIFYM 101 or you have no reading comprehension.

Either way...

:yawn:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose.

if you burn more than you consume....you will.

If it were that easy, I would be skinny. If that works for you, then that is excellent. I must be the exception to the rule. I have tried to lose weight every way imaginable (with the exception of surgery). I'm not saying I eat clean. I still eat some processed foods. I am just saying, I personally need to pay attention to the whole picture in order to be successful. Counting calories alone will sabotage me every time. I have learned this by trial and error. I am sorry if you don't believe me, but it is true.

so then you're not arguing against the fact that if one burns more than they consume, they will lose weight.
    your issue is that you cant seem to keep your cals below your burn.

fair enough.

i thought you were saying that you were eating at a deficit and not losing weight.
    tumblr_lxuyrspehO1rn95k2o1_400.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Guess what Arnold Schwarzenegger drank and ate during his Mr. Olympia days...
    It wasn't clean eating thats for sure. (Drank a lot of pop, hot dogs, etc)

Also all those steriods.

I wouldn't hold him up as a model of health.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

Oooo. I'll do it.

Low instances of illness
    Lack of fatigue
    Regular digestion
    Moderate blood pressure

They can be physically healthy, but depression is a recognised mental illness, so they arent mentally as healthy as someone who has no depression all things being equal.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Okay...someone is going to have to dumb this down for me, because I do not understand the backlash to the OP.

If someone asks me for suggestions because they are not losing weight...and I respond by saying "try to add more fruits and vegetables to your diet"...I would be wrong in telling them this?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

What you just described is a classic calories in vs calories out scenario. You just choose to cut your calories through carbs. Other people cut their calories through other means and get the same results.