How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Indeed. To know what the hell you're talking about, it helps to have experienced the topic for yourself. I don't even know where to start with your post. I feel like I've just read someone say that in order to make running more intense, you have to carry a bike on your head or something.

Haybales is right however he seems to have made the mistake of thinking that the primary concern of the people doing the exercise is fitness rather than weight loss. It's true that over time your body will adapt to what it does regularly. And losing weight will also force calories to decline. So if you want to keep improving your FITNESS you do indeed have to keep upping the intensity.

If however all you want to do is burn a few more calories then stuff like walking and Zumba are totally legit. It's true that you will suffer a kind of diminishing returns. The more you do something the less benefit you get out of it as it becomes easier. However simply being active walking or doing Zumba will markedly increase your calorie burn and that is what this thread is all about. No one was asking about improving physical fitness.

It all depends on what your goals are. If you want to be a performance athlete you will probably need something with more scope than Zumba. If you just want something to help keep your waistline in order it's probably pretty legit.

Actually, I was mainly talking about the ability to burn calories, I got sidetracked when it was mis-believed that if you weigh less you burn less, unless you increase intensity somehow - or go longer.

Merely commenting that for the Zumba classes I've seen and ones have described, everything is to the beat of music, and using the weight of body and arms and legs, and swinging motions.
    There is max speed to those things, and efficiency to be gained in the movement by doing it often enough, that if you lose weight, you will burn less calories.
    Considering even a less intense workout like just walking 4mph with 50 lbs less weight (200 to 150) burns 129 less calories an hour, There will be a bigger drop to something like this that greatly depends on body weight being moved.

Yes, raise knees higher, swing arms wider, raise body up and down more - you can increase intensity more and more to a degree.

And of course, change the equation and do something twice as long, sure that accomplishes more than weight loss causes.

So there are ways around, go longer and do a different intense class.
  • elelbriel
    Options
    In search of why my various exercise programs give 1000 cals burned and if I need to replace that gap of 1000 cals burns or not. Let's face it, I have weight to lose and it needs to be gone before the end of the year.
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.

I achieved 1,000 cal burn last night riding my bicycle for 10 miles as fast as I could. My city has a nice road bicycle trail system, so it worked out. On my jogging days I burn 300 to 500 cals. 3 cycling days, 3 jogging days, 1 rest day. If you are feeling hungry, you are eating wrong.[1] If you are wanting to binge, you are dieting wrong. [2]

1. I eat a 300-400 calorie meal and feel fine until I need a snack. Protein and fiber is what fills up the gas tank. Protein shake and plain oatmeal would do it. Maybe two eggs and oatmeal. But two eggs don't work for me so I stick with the protein shake WITHOUT milk, I use black tea.

a. Lunch I have an exact measured grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1/2 cup of can o veggies and sometimes 2 tablespoons of salsa

b Dinner. I have the exact same thing

"But you'll get tired of it." No, you won't. Grilled chicken by itself, without cooking oils, is very flavorful and it's so damn good. Mix that in with chicken, veggies, and salsa, holy crap. But there is more to this...

2. Eating chicken and rice 1,2,5 weeks straight gets boring. "But you said you won't get tired of it." I don't get tired of it because I have the proper amount of cheat meals. Some people only need 1 cheat meal a week, some need three. I limit myself to three, but may go down to two this week and see how I do. I feel anymore than three is cheating yourself of proper nutrition.

Lastly, remind yourself that all of this weight was not packed on in one day. I remind myself everyday " It didn't take a day to put all this on, it's not going to take a day to take it back off."
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......

This is true for a lot of people. Plus you need to find out what works for you long term.
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hard work is the answer, but I would advise you that the only reason I am succeeding in my weight loss now is because I cleaned up my diet big time, and now pay super-hyper-duper-crazy attention to what and how much I eat.
    You need to understand that the number of calories you burn is dependent on many factors, one major one being how much you weigh. I weigh about 123lbs, and MFP tells me I just burned 1400 calories, but that would have been much more when I was overweight, and it will be much harder to burn that many calories and continue losing weight when I am 115lbs. I hope I cleared that up for you. I don't know how much you weigh, but a few good calorie killers are running, spinning and free weights.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Any suggestion on how to burn 1000 calories a day by exercise?

One thing I would suggest if you try this, is to make sure you continue to log your food, even if you aren't focusing on staying within a certain calorie goal. The reason being, the more you work out, the hungrier you will be, and the more you will eat. If you aren't paying attention to how much more that is, you might not realize that what you thought was a 1000 kcal deficit wasn't anywhere near that.

ETA: I just realized this is an old thread. Oh well.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    One thing I would suggest if you try this, is to make sure you continue to log your food, even if you aren't focusing on staying within a certain calorie goal. The reason being, the more you work out, the hungrier you will be, and the more you will eat. If you aren't paying attention to how much more that is, you might not realize that what you thought was a 1000 kcal deficit wasn't anywhere near that.

Personally I find that if I am vey active, my favorite is biking for hours, I am not very hungry at all.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Personally I find that if I am vey active, my favorite is biking for hours, I am not very hungry at all.

That's great. But are you eating back the calories you burn or eating what someone with your measurements would eat to lose without any exercise? I was under the impression that the OP wanted to create her full 1000 calorie deficit through exercise alone without worrying about her diet. My guess is that you are fueling your body properly for your activity level to make the most of your burns.

When I start a new workout routine, or up the intensity, I find myself ravenous in the beginning until I am able to figure out exactly what I need to change in my diet to get the best results. Usually that involves adding a small carb/protein heavy snack which might add an additional 200 calories to my normal diet. And if I did it just blindly I might end up overeating without realizing and then wonder why I'm not losing. That's why my advice was to still pay attention to diet and changes in eating habits and cravings so troubleshooting becomes easier later.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    If you type in fitnessblender 1000 cal workout on youtube, it will come up with some hour long 1000 calorie workouts by fitnessblender. You burn heaps of calories from that.
  • heybales
    Options

And that last effect is where you use your brain not your stomach, to decide what's better. Or you won't be able to have as useful a workout tomorrow. Recovery from exercise takes long in a diet, even longer or none if extreme diet.

Unless the biking is so slow and easy it's just like a slow walk, in which case you didn't really burn that much over resting burn anyway, and 50% or better from fat too.
  • heybales
    Options

I achieved 1,000 cal burn last night riding my bicycle for 10 miles as fast as I could. My city has a nice road bicycle trail system, so it worked out.

Really?

Because if going a fast speed that burns more, that would take about 30 min or less. That would imply 33.3 cal/min cal burn. That's pro level, not sustained for that long.

If going slower to approach 60 min, would have to be a lot of weight, but the standard calculations fail at that, because wind drag provides more resistance going faster than road resistance does for weight going up.

http://www.bikecalculator.com/

Might just get a rough estimate to see how close your other method is.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I would burn 1000 calories on the treadmill by walking for about 100- 110 minutes at an incline. I am just starting out so my pace at the time was somewhere between 2.5 mph and 3 mph. I would either set it at a certain incline for the entire duration, increasing/decreasing as I wanted, or I would choose a hill interval or mountain climbing program.

I did this a few times a week for a few weeks. I was eating about 2500 calories a day, so I would exercise to meet my net calorie goal. I'm trying not to go over my calories as much now ... even though, I'm over as I type :), but I've been doing better. I will go walk/stand around the library for 1.5 hrs and then later hit the gym for an hour of cardio.

If you're in better shape than I am [which you probably are], then you could burn 1000 calories in an hour doing a hard elliptical workout [I used to do this in the past].

Now, I usually knock 10% off of my total calories burned reading, so I actually burn at least 1120 calories walking on the treadmill for that 100 or so minutes. Also, unless I'm really feeling like it, I can't see myself trying to reach that 1000 calorie goal anymore. I'm just really trying to watch my calorie intake more now.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Get about 11,000 or 12,000 steps in per day and you should hit that 1k calorie mark

Confused. Ive done 12500 today and weigh 75lb more than OP. Fitbits given me 700 so I cant understand how they would get 1000 on 11000 steps at a lighter weight?
  • heybales
    Options
    Get about 11,000 or 12,000 steps in per day and you should hit that 1k calorie mark

Confused. Ive done 12500 today and weigh 75lb more than OP. Fitbits given me 700 so I cant understand how they would get 1000 on 11000 steps at a lighter weight?

Do you mean the Fitbit adjustment is 700, or you made an activity of a walk where you got 12500 steps and for that time period only Fitbit said on their site/app 700 calories?

Because the Fitbit adjustment is NOT just exercise, it is merely the difference between what MFP estimated you'd burn with no exercise, and whatever Fitbit is estimating you have burned with everything done.
    And if you selected Lightly Active on MFP, then your adjustments are smaller.
    If they selected sedentary and really aren't, their adjustments are bigger.

So if that's the adjustment, that has nothing to do with calories for those steps.
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    2 hour hikes! So fun!
    I wish I could hike all day, every day.
    Not to burn calories, though. Just 'cuz I love it. :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I swim for an hr a day i burn over 1300 calories are day doing that

Almost positive.

No

60 minutes of intense swimming for a 200 lb person is between 400-600
  • philby303
    Options
    Cycling I did a 40k ride with my 8YO yesterday and according to my Garmin ( with HRM running ) I did just over 1000 cal
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    Options
    Lower your goal... Shoot for 1 pound a week until you find some good food choices. I drink a meal replacement shake with 24 g of protein and 220 calories...l increase Cold water consumption ( very important)... My base based on my size since I'm at about my target weight now is 1250 calories day. I walk 2 miles every morning so I have about 1400 calories to work with, but I eat clean most of the week with one or two days of cheat days. I eat very little processed.... Lots of fresh veggies and fruit. I also use nutritional supplements ...l if you would like help and encouragement, I have a lot of healthy clean recipes.... Friend me and allow friends to see you diary. I can help you meet your goal
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'd have to put in 3.5 hours on my treadmill to burn 1000 calories. Not only do I not have that kind of time, I have no desire to use my time that way even if I were retired or unemployed. Getting the food under control works much better.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should reduce your goal of trying to lose 2 lbs. a week. I would set a goal of 1/2lb. to 1lb. per week no more, you only weigh 170 lbs. and don't have a large amount of weight to lose. Go invest in a food scale and measure and weigh out your food and log everything... Start tracking your caloric intake at a maintenance level for a few weeks and then once you know your maintenance then subtract 100 calories from your daily intake and stay there for 2 to 3 weeks tracking everything and see how your weight loss is going but I would not increase your deficit by more than 250 a day which would be a pound a week... Don't think of this as a sprint, think more long term. you are going to do this for the rest of your life so don't be in such a big hurry to get there.... It took me 3 years and 3 months to lose 300 pounds and I have been on the other side of weight loss since Sept of 2012 and am doing fine because my routine is just my daily life..... also keep in mind if you are doing this method and you do exercise you should be eating back some of those exercise calories to fuel your body for the workouts that you are demanding of it which will allow you to have a bigger caloric intake which means you won't need to be eating at such a low level...... Finding maintenance is where I would start so you know for sure what your caloric intake is..... Best of Luck

^^^ listen to this man

/thread
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I get pretty miserable trying to eat less too. For me, I've been shooting for eating 2000 calories a day and then just get on my bike to ride a lot. I do 50 miles every day and that seems to be about 1700 calories or so burned based on my estimates so 30 miles or two and a half - three hours of moving with some effort would probably do it.

50 miles on a bike? you must lose like 20lbs a month