Over 40s - What do you do to stay in shape?

Options

Replies

• Cheveliar
    Cheveliar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    49 years old - I been walking everyday. Not racing, got me a playlist on the phone that conforms to a nice groove and I just walk to the loop. Started out at a half mile, doing 3.5 miles a day now!!!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The key for me is Changing it up. If I stay in one exercise for too long I get bored and I peak at loss or muscle gains. I went from cardio and weights to Body weight workouts, to P90X, to Burpee routines, just keeping it fresh helps me to focus and having little goals along the way helps a lot too
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I strength train in a powerlifting style four days per week. Now that it's football season, i officiate youth and high school, so that gives me some cardio. Other than that, I'll take a 1.4 mile walk at lunch, if I can. As far as my diet goes, I basically have an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast most days, some meat and veggies at lunch (or leftovers), whatever my wife decides she wants for dinner, and some greek yogurt and protein bars for snacks. I'll have beer or some sort of dessert a couple/few times a week, too.

eta: I'm 42 yo, by the way.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 42 very soon.
    I strength train 3-4 times a week. Intense sessions usually around 90+ minutes.
    I bike 15-20 miles 2x a week, 6-10 miles 3 more times a week. And I bike to/from the grocery store 2 miles away because it's only 2 miles away.
    I coach soccer 2x a week.
    I play in the pool with my kids regularly.
    I do sprints irregularly, along with heavy bag work and yoga and other stuff.

I rarely sit on my butt anymore.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed scrolling through this seeing all the 40+ people who are staying active and looking fantastic.
    Someone in the thread mentioned this, but I think it is really important to find something that you enjoy.

44. Heavy, compound focused lifting 4 times a week for about an hour. I walk my dogs a couple of hours a week. Any other cardio is really rare. Occasional cycle interval or incline walking.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    46 here.

I am always shifting it up. I work at something everyday but it is always different. It can be walking, elliptical, whatever, but I have to shift it up or I get bored. With winter coming, I just ordered the firm program....I hear it is pretty good and it was only $10 on the shopping channel, so if I don't like it, I will ebay it. Having two kids helps me a lot too as they have me playing hockey with them in the winter as well and we always love our ping pong and trampoline.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Double post.....sorry
  • Trinan71
    Trinan71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! 77 pounds lost.....I bet you feel so much better. I think exercise really is the key to being healthy. Not meaning that diet isn't important too butt if you don't exercise, I think it makes it so much harder to see results. I have been overweight since I had my son at age 21. I'm 43 now. I came 30 pounds within my goal one time and that was it....I just kept going up and up after that. At least I know it is possible to lose big after 40. This give me hope!! Thank you for your post :happy:
  • sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to lose so I walk 45-60 minutes every morning and take a step class or swim later in the day.
  • tammylee57
    tammylee57 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 57. I run. Religiously. 5 days a week.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Crossfit; P90X, Insanity.

Just set the record at the US Army's booth at the county fair for most continuous pull-ups: 32

Not bad for 50 years old.
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    44 here. My routine, give or take:

Sunday: Hill walking, 3 mph avg., 90 minutes
    Monday: Mat Pilates at home, 30 minutes
    Tuesday: Stair/hill walking, 3 mph, 60 minutes
    Wednesday: rest day
    Thursday: Mat Pilates, 30 minutes
    Friday: Flat walk, 4-5 mph, 60 minutes
    Saturday: Pilates again (30 min) or hike/walk (60 min)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    45 here

I lift three days a week
    I try for one intentional cardio session a week (I hate cardio, so it doesn't always happen)
    I mountain bike, kayak, hike whenever I get the opportunity
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and in the best shape of my life. I weight train using the New Rules of Lifting program 2 days per week, and spin/cycle for 60 - 80 minutes on non-lifting days. Almost every day I take a 40 - 60 mintute walk, just because I like to move!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    44 here and I strength train (heavy lifting) 3-4 times a week and rebound or zumba for cardio 2-3 times a week.
  • berlys
    Options
    I am 41 and just started the Stronglift 5x5 program. Only on my 2nd week. Can't wait to see the results! Also, was doing travel crossfit workouts 5x a week and have now reduced it to 3. Will possibly throw in yoga here and there. Now that I hit my goal weight, I want to gain 5lbs. Still have some excess fat on the gut, but hoping that will eventually go away once I get my diet figured out. Also, I have been getting my hormones in check;)
  • bendoon54
    Options
    I'm 60 next month & my daughter is a personal trainer
    so she looks after me very well
    Monday 40 min brisk walk & 30 min abs
    Tuesday 40 min brisk walk & 60 min boot camp
    Wednesday 40 min brisk walk & 30 min weights
    Thursday 40 min brisk walk & 60 min boot camp
    Friday 40 min brisk walk & every 2nd week 60 min bike ride
    Saturday 60 min boot camp
    Sunday rest
  • torcol1
    torcol1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Torcol1 over 50, I swim and do water aerobics as many days as possible. I do dance exercises and Zumba fitness for the days I can't get in the pool and I take advantage of my walks during shopping sprees. I am also currently under the advice of a nutritionalist. When I miss one day of my exercises I can feel the difference. So I strive to follow through with what I have started and when I eat or drink what I shouldn't I feel doomed. So I make sure I have what I need to follow through with the nutrition advise I am given.
  • anname9203
    anname9203 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. I use my elliptical about 4 to 5 days a week for 30 minutes each time and I walk every day since I have a dog that likes to keep me active. :) I walk about 2 to 3.5 miles depending on how much time I have and that usually takes about 40 to 60 minutes.