New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 04, Day 02 today!! It went waaaayyy better than day 01. I was a little worried there. I even added an extra minute onto the last five-min. segment. I keep trying not to look ahead and just take it day by day, but I feel Week 05, Day 03 (the 20 minutes straight) looming over me. Getting new sneakers this weekend (reward for completing four weeks - doing my last run of week 4 on Saturday.

My husband gave me an early Valentines present : I teeny tiny fanny pack to put my phone and work I.D while I run so I don't have to hold the phone and have the work I.D. that usu. is on a lanyard around my neck under my tank top instead of flapping in the breeze sticking to my stomach while I run. He also gave me a little gel thingamagigger for when I run. Anyone try those gel thingies? Anyway, his gift really touched me because it made me feel that he has the confidence in me that I'll complete all nine weeks. Now I just wish I had that confidence in myself; I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out for me running -- like getting injured. I am really enjoying this challenge and don't want to stop trying. Gotta start believing in myself more.

Anywho, happy running to everyone and hopefully you all are getting a long weekend like me this weekend.

~Melanie
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I just found this thread and am so excited! I'm doing C25K, I'll be doing week 4 day 3 tomorrow. I've done the whole program before and I love it! But I got off track and gained more weight, so I'm doing it again and am going to stick with it this time!

I love to hear about everyone's progress, struggles, and triumphs with the program, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I really struggled with day 1 of week 4, I had to take a break during the 5 minute runs, but yesterday I did the whole thing and I was okay. I know I'll be able to get through it tomorrow. I do get a little bit of anxiety though when I look ahead at what's coming, but I know I did it once, so I have faith that I can do it again.

Look forward to chatting with everyone!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    i am -age 56 -75 overweight-i love walking on track outdoors,would it be safe for me try this? i really want to jog,I do have bad knee,but i know i need to walk /jog for exercise.help

Hi Shirley, good on you for deciding to make some changes and get healthier. I think you will need to talk to your doctor about whether he thinks jogging is a good idea, it does put more strain on your joints and you don't want to injure yourself and not be able to exercise at all.
    Perhaps you could try using the walk/run times as a guide for walking - ie walk at normal pace for the walks and take it up to a brisk walk instead of running. Or I think some people are doing it on a stationary bike - just increasing the pace instea of jogging.
    Make sure you come back and tell us what you are doing, we are all at different paces and stages but this is a great way to keep accountable.

Heathershrinking - I'm repeating each week too, though I did jump to week 3 after one and a half weeks of week 2, really because I was so scared of the thought of running 3 mins! But now I'll do another week of week 3 before moving onto the next one. I am really pretty unfit so don't want to go too fast and injure myself.

Everyone else - keep up the good work, specially those of you doing it in the cold. I'm never motivated to exercise in winter, I just want to curl up with a glass of wine and a good book.... but hopefully by starting in summer I will be inspired to keep it up in winter. Luckily we don't get too much rain here!

Ruby
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 04, Day 02 today!! It went waaaayyy better than day 01. I was a little worried there. I even added an extra minute onto the last five-min. segment. I keep trying not to look ahead and just take it day by day, but I feel Week 05, Day 03 (the 20 minutes straight) looming over me. Getting new sneakers this weekend (reward for completing four weeks - doing my last run of week 4 on Saturday.

I'm actually finding week 5 to be easier than week 4. I have my 20 minute run tomorrow though, so that may change! :ohwell:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Yay, week 4 day 2 and did just fine. Did the program for 40 minutes and the last run I ran for 6 minutes, wasn't dancing for joy but I was very excited about it!!!
  • kspedsrn
    kspedsrn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D3! I survived and am looking forward to next week! The suggestion to run "light" was very helpful. Thanks for the insight on how to run. (not like an elephant! lol)
  • rachelrauth
    Options
    just finished W5D3 the 20 min run..it was as brutal as it sounds. I warm up at 3.5 and run at 6.0. I had to stop for about 30 seconds after 15 minutes but I think that's because I am running at a pretty fist pace. I don't want to slow it down though because I would like to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I'm going to repeat this run tomorrow but maybe at 5.5 instead of 6.0. We'll see.

Well I just wanted to tell somone haha
    have a goodnight!
  • kspedsrn
    kspedsrn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! I am dreading that week for sure!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    just finished W5D3 the 20 min run..it was as brutal as it sounds. I warm up at 3.5 and run at 6.0. I had to stop for about 30 seconds after 15 minutes but I think that's because I am running at a pretty fist pace. I don't want to slow it down though because I would like to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I'm going to repeat this run tomorrow but maybe at 5.5 instead of 6.0. We'll see.

have a goodnight!

You're fast! Good job! I'm doing W5D3 tomorrow. I'm not nearly as fast, I go at a snails pace :) I'm worried about my run.. I had a hard time with 8 mins, not sure how 20 is going to go!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's posts as I am about to die. But I just completed W4D3 of C25K as well as L1D1 of 30 Day Shred.

I have to say. W2D2 was tough for me as I don't think my body was really feeling a workout. I got through it Tuesday though. Tonight I was must more ready to go. I DID ALL MY RUNS AT 5.0! I was pretty proud when I was able to do my 3 minute runs at 5.0, but tonight I did the 3s AND the 5s! I almost died at the end of the second 5 but my husband was next to me on the elliptical so I had to be cool. And, if I'm being honest, the last 2 minutes of the final 5 minute run all I could think about was if I finished at that pace I'd be able to come on here and tell you guys I did it. So yay!

W4D4 on Saturday. Honestly, I don't think I'll move on to week 5 because I'm still struggling with this. I'd like to stick with week 4 until I get into a groove and until the 5 minute runs feel as comfortable as the 3 minute runs do.

I'm still waiting to feel that runners high though...

I sincerely apologize for not reading all the posts. I'll read and comment tomorrow. I've been keeping an eye throughout the day though and you guys are doing AMAZING! And to those of you adding minutes on at the end...you are SAINTS. And much better than I. I'm so inspired by each of you and I can't wait to read the posts tomorrow (about to pass out now).

Keep up the amazing work!
  • healthyme2be
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Shavonne and I just completed Day 1 Wk 1 of C25K. It actually wasn't that bad..but I know as I progress it's gonna get alot harder. Very proud of myself for going the whole 20 minutes w/out stopping. I'm glad I found this thread. Someone actually posted a link to this thread on a post I posted earlier about C25K so I'm glad I've found this!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K today. I made it through W1D1 and didn't die. I was pretty proud of that fact! And really, I'm not even sore tonight. I did keep the speed slower than the speed I have been trying to run at, I kept it at 4.7, which I know is slow but I decided actually completing it was the first step.

I am thinking of doing a 5 K in June. There is a 7k in march here, and I was thinking of maybe trying to walk it, but I am a little hesitant, I am not sure why. Maybe because I'm thinking everyone would laugh, or maybe because I am too competitive. I have a little bit to decide in any case. We'll see how this next week goes.
  • povester
    Options
    I completed W3D3 yesterday. Looking forward to the step up to W4 starting tomorrow.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I just finished Week 5 - Day 3 this morning! That's the one with a 20 minute run in there. Amazingly, I did it!!!! I had a lot of doubt. W5:D2 was really hard for me. I have to say to everyone that is working on this program - don't give up! You might think you can't do it, you might doubt your endurance. But the program works, it really does. On W1:D1, I honestly didn't believe in the program. I've always hated running and just never thought I'd ever like running or want to run. But I kept pushing through, going to the next week. For me, it has been mostly a mental game, I've been psyching myself out *worried* about my runs.

I'm only on Week 5 and I just ran 20 minutes. I have never in my life ran 20 minutes non-stop. NEVER. I don't think I've ever run more than 8 minutes non-stop before this program. But this morning I did! Keep at it, you will get there. As I mentioned, W5:D2 was really hard for me. Yet, I managed to make it through W5:D3. It's amazing how our endurance really does build and your body can do it. Just have to get my *mind* to know I can handle it and stop doubting :)

Happy running everyone!
  • jilld76
    Options

have a goodnight!

WOW! Great job!! I can't believe you're running at a 6.0, that's fantastic! I eventually would like to be close to that pace, but right now, I'm just happy getting through it at 5.0, I'm short, so 6.0 is like a sprint for me, lol!

I'm not looking forward to next week :(
  • jilld76
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's posts as I am about to die. But I just completed W4D3 of C25K as well as L1D1 of 30 Day Shred.

I have to say. W2D2 was tough for me as I don't think my body was really feeling a workout. I got through it Tuesday though. Tonight I was must more ready to go. I DID ALL MY RUNS AT 5.0! I was pretty proud when I was able to do my 3 minute runs at 5.0, but tonight I did the 3s AND the 5s! I almost died at the end of the second 5 but my husband was next to me on the elliptical so I had to be cool. And, if I'm being honest, the last 2 minutes of the final 5 minute run all I could think about was if I finished at that pace I'd be able to come on here and tell you guys I did it. So yay!

W4D4 on Saturday. Honestly, I don't think I'll move on to week 5 because I'm still struggling with this. I'd like to stick with week 4 until I get into a groove and until the 5 minute runs feel as comfortable as the 3 minute runs do.

I'm still waiting to feel that runners high though...

I sincerely apologize for not reading all the posts. I'll read and comment tomorrow. I've been keeping an eye throughout the day though and you guys are doing AMAZING! And to those of you adding minutes on at the end...you are SAINTS. And much better than I. I'm so inspired by each of you and I can't wait to read the posts tomorrow (about to pass out now).

Keep up the amazing work!

Great job! I jog at the same pace as you and am just finishing up week 4, so believe me, I know exactly how you felt after that last 5 minute run! I put a magazine over the time on the treadmill when I do this program, so that I don't stare at it the whole time, and that really helps, but on the last 5 I picked that magazine up several times, lol! Keep up the good work!
  • healthyme2be
    Options
    Today is my 2nd day of C25K and im excited. But I am definatly feeling it in my legs today! Oh boy!!!!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my W5D3 20 minute run! I'm so proud of myself that I actually pushed through! Like others before me have said, it really is a mental game. I've never been good with that game - I mean pushing myself - so this is quite an accomplishment for me!

I did make one mistake, that I plan to learn from. I put my towel over the time like I usually do, but I put on the news to try to keep up with the events in Egypt. Problem is, they display the time in the corner! So every minute or so I'd find myself searching out the time! Definitely made it harder. Ah well, live and learn!

Bring on Week 6!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Quick vent: So I signed up for a 5k on July 23. I have mentioned this to a few people and I'm shocked by the majorly unsupportive responses I've been getting - even after I explain the race is about 18 weeks away and I am working on the C25K 9 week training program. So I should have plenty of time to train and be ready. Everyone has been so negative, or laughed, or said I was crazy, or even offered to buy me out of the race so I wouldn't get hurt doing it! :grumble: WTH people!!!?? Grrr... Does this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, I bought new running shoes and I'm going to the gym to night to do Week 1 - Day 4 (repeating the week) tonight. Thanks for all your support everyone... because of you I now run a little less elephant like! :drinker:
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Quick vent: So I signed up for a 5k on July 23. I have mentioned this to a few people and I'm shocked by the majorly unsupportive responses I've been getting - even after I explain the race is about 18 weeks away and I am working on the C25K 9 week training program. So I should have plenty of time to train and be ready. Everyone has been so negative, or laughed, or said I was crazy, or even offered to buy me out of the race so I wouldn't get hurt doing it! :grumble: WTH people!!!?? Grrr... Does this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, I bought new running shoes and I'm going to the gym to night to do Week 1 - Day 4 (repeating the week) tonight. Thanks for all your support everyone... because of you I now run a little less elephant like! :drinker:

are you kidding with this? Who would have the nerve to say that? If nothing else, now you're gonna prove them wrong but in 18 weeks, you might be itchin' to do a 10K! You totally have this!