Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    AnneElise -- I painted our nursery a couple of weeks ago. It's a small 10x10 room with 3 big windows and since it was a nice weekend I just opened them all the way up. I took breaks to go sit outside and get fresh air when I started to feel overwhelmed by the paint smell. It wasn't bad and I'm not concerned about it at all.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I forgot to ask this. How many days before your due date did most of you start your maternity leave from work? I am due August 5th. We go back to school (teachers only) August 1st.... good timing right :wink: I had to convince my principal it wans't on purpose. I am trying to decide if I should not go in at all the start of the year or if I should take it from like the 3rd or 4th so I can go in and get my classroom set up for the long term sub. I was thinking it might be hard because I might not be feeling well but I was also thinking it might be a good distraction from waiting. Opinions?

I worked until my delivery date. That way I could have the most time off when I needed it. But remember if you are planning on a vaginal birth, that baby will comes when it gets ready to come:wink:

But I do understand if school starts just 4 days before what's the point? I probably wouldn't go. Or maybe just to introduce myself to the kids for a couple of days so they know your face and situation.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Carina - good luck with cycle # 3, it took me 3 cycles after my last miscarriage to conceive Brooklynn... I'm sure that hubby wouldn't mind if you work on baby making every day for the whole month! Should also increase your chances :happy:

Matenity leave varies state by state, here in California we typically get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after at 55% of your ordinary gross wages. They look back at the previous 4 quarters and pay you based on your highest earning quarter. In addition to that you can also take another 6 weeks of paid family leave. Most jobs do collect for you and give your money to California State Disability, I have way more money in there than they will EVER pay me and I have had extended maternity leaves with all of my babies.

I will be going back once my 6 weeks are up though and will not be taking the paid family leave. We manage with my disability pay but would do a whole lot better with my full pay. Besides after a visit from a coworker yesterday (she is expecting and due 7/5/11) I should really get back before her maternity leave begins. Apparently there is lots going on at work and since I pretty much run the whole place I can only imagine the mess I will come back to. My fill in does the bare minimums just to get by and who knows how much accounting and stuff will need to be caught up considering I have been out since the begining of the year. I also will need to help fill in for the coworker who will be going out on maternity leave so I will need all of the time possible to get it done before she begins her leave. My boss always loves how pregnancy is always an epidemic at our workplace and there is never one at a time :laugh:

I need to get vacation time accrued also so that I can take my boys to Disneyland for Christmas. One of our family traditions has been to spend 3 days there since my oldest was 2, unfortunately mommy was in no condition to do so this year. They are very understanding and cant wait to take their sister to meet all of the princesses! Strange how hubby and I started the zoo and Disneyland tradition when we grew up without any traditions at all. I guess we just decided that our kids need family traditions and we are able to provide for them lots more than we ever had.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Ah, just finished crocheting the baby's blanket after a very lazy day of just focusing on it. Feels good to have it finished. I really liked the pattern I used and wish I had another baby to crochet one for.

I am making a "shaggy" quilt for the baby out of flanelette material. I bought and pre-washed all the stuff.. now just to get started!! lol!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    carina- that sucks that AF came, but like Sherri it took me 3 cycles to get pregnant, as well as my good friend who is also pregnant right now. 3rd times a charm right!?

annelise- I plan to stop working about 7 weeks before my due date, but that is because my situation is different than you guys (I'm Canadian for anyone who doesn't already know that). The reason I am doing that is because I have sick days accrued at work, as well as a bit of vacation. I am hoping to be a stay at home mom after my maternity leave is over, so I have to use up all my sick days etc. from work or I will lose them. Plus, my dr says I am a high risk pregnancy for preeclampsia so the possibility of me actually having to go on bed rest is there (but I really hope that doesn't happen!).

Anneelise... it is all fine and dandy to plan to work right up until the day, but what if you go early? (ie what if you had planned to go in and get everything done on the 3 and 4, but then you go into labour on the 1st?). I think a back of plan would be good. Also... you could be completely miserable and uncomfortable that far along and want to do nothing but sit in the pool, because 1) it is cool, and 2) it takes the weight off your poor body! Also in terms of paining... it is probably just fine, but if you have someone else to do it for you (hubby, family, friend) it doesn't hurt to have them do it. My pregnancy book "The pregnancy bible" does not reccomend it, if at all possible.

We went to Babies R Us last night... sooooo fun! They had such an amazing selection I was really happy.
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. :)
    I hope I have time to order from ebay before i need to start testing.

cross your fingers for me.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I forgot to ask this. How many days before your due date did most of you start your maternity leave from work? I am due August 5th. We go back to school (teachers only) August 1st.... good timing right :wink: I had to convince my principal it wans't on purpose. I am trying to decide if I should not go in at all the start of the year or if I should take it from like the 3rd or 4th so I can go in and get my classroom set up for the long term sub. I was thinking it might be hard because I might not be feeling well but I was also thinking it might be a good distraction from waiting. Opinions?

I put in a full day of work while in labor with my first. :laugh:. They don't get anyone specific to cover for me, the other 2 employees just cover my shows and email while I am out. But, that means I have to have step by step instructions on where I am with each date so they know which ones have radio promotions pending, who needs call back to get comp winner names, what interview requests are unanswered, etc. So about a month or 3 weeks out out I keep a to do list on every pending show and update it each day and sending it to one of the gals with all my files so they're ready to go if needed.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I put in a full day of work while in labor with my first. :laugh:. They don't get anyone specific to cover for me, the other 2 employees just cover my shows and email while I am out. But, that means I have to have step by step instructions on where I am with each date so they know which ones have radio promotions pending, who needs call back to get comp winner names, what interview requests are unanswered, etc. So about a month or 3 weeks out out I keep a to do list on every pending show and update it each day and sending it to one of the gals with all my files so they're ready to go if needed.

You are a wonder woman, there is no way I could work while in labor.

I have been feeling lots of pressure pushing down there and my contractions are super strong both in my tummy and back. I told hubby today that I dont think I will be able to make it another week. He has now placed everything next to the front door so that we are ready to go, seems like he is now believing me that it is right around the corner and can happen at any time. I do not know how those of you who have had natural child birth do it. I already get to the point at times where I feel like I need pain meds. I did notice that I go in the zone through a lot of the contractions and ignore everyone and everything around me to just focus on breathing. I am super excited that I hit my 35 week mark today and so should Brooklynn be impatient and decide to come now she should be completely healthy and not need any time in the nicu.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
    I'll be like Ron --working right through the beginning stages of labor. :laugh: That's the plan, at least. I get 12 weeks under the FMLA & I want to spend all of it with baby. Of course the 12 weeks of FMLA is unpaid but I almost never use any sick leave so I'll have 11 weeks of sick leave built up and I'll use 1 week of my vacation leave so that I'll receive my full salary for the entire 12 weeks. That will leave me with about 6 weeks of vacation time but absolutely no sick leave which makes me sad. But going back to work before 12 weeks would make me a lot more sad than not having any sick leave.

I work for State gov't so our jobs are very well protected but the only way I could stay out longer than 12 weeks and get my job back would be for me to have some type of major illness or disability so I'd definitely rather that not happen.

That's a lot of accrued sick leave! How many do you get each year? I get 3, and they expire. Usually I just end up taking 2 days off "sick" each October before they expire. I wonder if my boss has noticed that 5 yrs in a row I have gotten "sick" in October! :laugh: I've already used all 3 this year because I took 3 days for my back surgery so I'm totally out of sick days. I do have my 5 vacation days that I will use. But the other week (or 2 if we can stretch the budget) will be unpaid. Even if I had been able to save up all my sick days since starting there 5 yrs ago I would still only have 3 weeks accrued!

And we don't get any sort of personal days. If so (like Friday to go pick up my son in AZ, or if I am late because of a Dr apt) we have to make up the hours by putting in long days on other days or staying late - which usually always works out to be putting in MORE hours than if I just worked that day "off". I work thorough lunch to make up some of those hours, but my boss actually told me once that I could not count those as make up hours since everyone's busy and "We all work through lunch". I was so mad. I told her she cannot legally tell me I cannot be expected to not take a lunch break (though I hardly ever do) and that those definitely count as "extra" work hours, and she hasn't mentioned it again. Though I don't point out to here anymore where I put in my make up hours!

She also always says things like "look this over tonight" or "find some quiet time to read this" (which translates to 'not during work hours'), or "by Monday" on Friday afternoons, or she once totally panicked because she could not reach me on a Sunday (over something stupid I had nothing to do with even - she basically wanted to send me something to send to someone instead of just asking them directly). Anyway, my cell was dead and my work phone was unplugged because we had the computer speakers plugged in. On Monday she FREAKED out. She actually said "don't you think you should have called me to tell me that your cell phone was dead in case I wanted to reach you?" I said - honestly. No. On a Sunday afternoon, that never crossed my mind. .... we basically have to be available 24/7 - which I don't mind for show nights when I have winners who are going to will call and might have problems, but not EVERY day for ANYTHING. She actually called on THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS EVE with some pointless untimely messages. I did not answer! :laugh:

I really need to find a new job - and something that pays more than barely over the poverty level with no benefits .... but I like being able to work from home and it saves tons on childcare so I'm sort of stuck.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I have been feeling lots of pressure pushing down there and my contractions are super strong both in my tummy and back. I told hubby today that I dont think I will be able to make it another week. He has now placed everything next to the front door so that we are ready to go, seems like he is now believing me that it is right around the corner and can happen at any time. I do not know how those of you who have had natural child birth do it. I already get to the point at times where I feel like I need pain meds. I did notice that I go in the zone through a lot of the contractions and ignore everyone and everything around me to just focus on breathing. I am super excited that I hit my 35 week mark today and so should Brooklynn be impatient and decide to come now she should be completely healthy and not need any time in the nicu.

Yay for week 35! I couldn't work in labor, mine are usually too fast!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

She also always says things like "look this over tonight" or "find some quiet time to read this" (which translates to 'not during work hours'), or "by Monday" on Friday afternoons, or she once totally panicked because she could not reach me on a Sunday (over something stupid I had nothing to do with even - she basically wanted to send me something to send to someone instead of just asking them directly). Anyway, my cell was dead and my work phone was unplugged because we had the computer speakers plugged in. On Monday she FREAKED out. She actually said "don't you think you should have called me to tell me that your cell phone was dead in case I wanted to reach you?" I said - honestly. No. On a Sunday afternoon, that never crossed my mind. .... we basically have to be available 24/7 - which I don't mind for show nights when I have winners who are going to will call and might have problems, but not EVERY day for ANYTHING. She actually called on THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS EVE with some pointless untimely messages. I did not answer! :laugh:

I really need to find a new job - and something that pays more than barely over the poverty level with no benefits .... but I like being able to work from home and it saves tons on childcare so I'm sort of stuck.

That is awful!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

You are a wonder woman, there is no way I could work while in labor.

Maybe she'll make it to full term. Hope she holds out. I have 24 days until my c-section and haven't had any contractions (real ones) that I know of. Of course I wouldn't know it if I was cause I've never had them .
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    AnneElise I was actually just going to ask you about baby bump pics! I'm gonna be a stay at home momma so no help with your question.

So my trip to the lake was blah. I didn't get good sleep at all. The hotel was dirty and old. It just wasn't a good time. I should have stayed home. The only good part was that I got to spend a little bit of time with my hubby. I had 2 crazy dreams (which I was told I'd start having wild dreams...and boy are they definitely wild!) this weekend. On Friday night I had a dream that I was having an ultrasound and they saw 7 babies. Last night I dreamed that I lost this baby. Both were very vivid and seemed so real. Both dreams are definitely fears so I think my fears are playing out in my dreams. The doctors office was only open until noon on Saturday so I never ended up getting a call about my hcg blood level results that I had done on Friday. I'm hoping for a call first thing tomorrow morning and that it is GOOD news!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Heather- I had a VERY vivid dream I had 7 babies right about the same time you are... uhg. I woke up the hubby for that one. I am thinking about you!

Mjtwomail- You do need a new job. I get 10 sick days a year that accumulate, 3 personal days that expire, and all the normal vacations teachers get. That seems unfair

CKmama- the kids won't be back yet either way so it would just be to go in and get organized so that when I return I will be more prepared.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I think that my plan will be to go into work 3 days that week and if she comes early I will take sick days to cover those (I am not using any sick days for my maternity leave).

Sheri- I am so glad you have made it to 35 weeks!

well I had a kind of bummer of a shopping day. The only thing that saved it was the kids outlet stores and 2 or 3 dollars cute clothes for baby. The maternity store I thought was there had closed and all the stores had such cute clothes that I can't wear. Was kind of dissapointing.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Joonz- My hubby freaked just because I painted two samples so it looks like he doesn't want help :smile:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Carina – I’ve got my fingers crossed for you that your 3rd time is the charm.

Sheri – yea for 35 weeks!!!

Heather- I have crazy dreams all the time. The night before my ultrasound I had a dream that I was having triples, and in the beginning I would dream about miscarrying almost every night. I had one at 5 weeks that felt so real, I woke up in the middle of the night and took another HPT. :laugh: :embarassed:

Mjtwomail – That sounds terrible. I get 13 sick days, 15 vacation and 4 personal a year. All can be carried over to the next year except the personal, and we also get 13 paid holidays. The thing I like most about my job is that due to confidentially I can’t do any work outside of the office and they’re insanely strict about working times and breaks. We’re only allowed in the office 15 minutes before it opens to the public and we have to be out 15 minutes after it closes – however, I’m usually shutting my computer down 5 minutes before my shift is up.

AnneElise – my hubby made it very clear he wants me nowhere near any paint. He’s fixing up the basement now and was got so worried that the fumes were going upstairs. He even switched the laundry for me because I didn’t want me in the basement with the paint.

I wish I knew how to knit or crochet. My mom makes beautiful blankets and started making some for my baby a year and half ago while I was still on my honeymoon!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I always paint in pregnancy, always, several rooms usually. I keep windows open and if I can use low, no VOC.

I stopped at the baby resale shop this afternoon on the way to a birthday in ABQ. I won't even go into the rude customer service. I am still so mad. But I found baby socks 20 cents each and 14 bibs, 7 boy, 7 girl for $2.80 for the lot, brand new.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Joonz- My hubby freaked just because I painted two samples so it looks like he doesn't want help :smile:

Lucky you! I would love painting help, but dh is not good at painting.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had an awesome shower. The guests were so thoughtful and caring. One of my mom's friends got me our $90 jumpperoo from Target, and then made a large quilt by hand with the material and animals matching the animals and colors from the jumperoo. Our entire SUV was packed on the way home. We did get some doubles of things, so I have some returning to do, but overall it was great. Once we got home and got everything on the floor in the babies room, I got very overwhelemed though. I now have to figure out where to put all this!!!

My sister-in-law who had a baby 2 months ago, gave me 4 boxes filled with baby clothes. She gave me over 200 pieces of clothes!!! There is no way we will use all of them, but now I have some major sorting and putting away to do.

AnneElise - I plan to work right up until I go into labor. Any time I take before, means less time I have after the baby is born. I am hoping that I can work until I head to the hospital, but with the pain I have been in lately, I am not sure if that will work out:ohwell: Also, on your painting question, I helped paint the room with my Hubby. Anytime the smell got strong, I would just leave the room for a bit.

While in NY, I got to help out on my families Maple Syrup Farm. I took three separate trips to the Maple House, and walked the woods with my hubby while he collected Sap. I figure I walked about 4 miles, and boy am I feeling it. It isn't easy being off balance and walking through the rough snow covered terain.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Amanda so glad you had a fantastic baby shower! And oh how I'd love to spend a day in NY at a Maple Syrup farm...I can only imagine how wonderful it smells, My family has a small farm too...but goats, cows, and chickens don't have the same sweet smell as maple syrup that's for sure! I do get all the free range eggs I want though, so that's a plus. I spend at least $6 on a small bottle of organic maple syrup at the grocery store. Isn't that a bit crazy?!

Annabelle sounds like you got some great deals. I think I'm going to have to venture into the city to go to a baby consignment shop to get some deals.

Ron when I got home from my trip yesterday I had one hpt that I had to use up...just to make sure. lol! I think it is crazy how we play out our fears in our dreams. I'm seriously praying that we see a heartbeat and that everything is how it should be (with ONE baby) at the ultrasound....for my SANITY! I've been through a rollercoaster of emotions the past couple of months and I could definitely use some relief. I want nothing more than to enjoy this pregnancy. 9 more days!

Well I'm hoping to hear back about my HCG levels this morning. If I don't hear anything by noon I will be "that patient" that calls. Oh well....I'm not a patient at that office to make friends. When did you ladies start getting morning/all day sickness? I read that it usually starts on the 6th week. I also read that women that experience strong morning sickness symptoms are less likely to miscarry. So how sad is it that I'm hoping and praying my morning sickness comes with a vengeance?! lol!

Hope you ladies have a wonderful day!