For the people who work out like crazy and are not losing

Options

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    catabolic state means that the body is feeding off itself, you are not supplying it with what it needs and therefore are being counterproductive producing bad results. Anabolic means you are supplying the body with what it needs and are helping yourself out not working against your body. You do not need to go to the extreme where you are building bulk muscle and looking like a female body builder but staying just on the right side of the anabolic state will keep fat loss moving along.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more thing,I absolutly can not eat before I workout wich is in the morning,sick the rest of the day.I'm at a loss in this area
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    Very good information, how do I "bump" this?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    might be the blood sugar spike after eating try just a protein with no or low carb see if that works instead.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Very good information, how do I "bump" this?
    just reply "bump" lol.
  • jessicamichalski
    Options
    Bump..thank you!
  • LAM40223
    LAM40223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site and couldn't believe it said I wasn't eating enough calories. I'm not starving myself to death on purpose, but I was trying to watch what I was eating. I'm exercising (brisk walk) 60 minutes/5 days per week and I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. Now I guess I know. I need to eat more. It just sounds counterintuitive.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I just joined this site and couldn't believe it said I wasn't eating enough calories. I'm not starving myself to death on purpose, but I was trying to watch what I was eating. I'm exercising (brisk walk) 60 minutes/5 days per week and I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. Now I guess I know. I need to eat more. It just sounds counterintuitive.
    think of it like driving a car, you have a limited amount of gas before the car starts to break down. The calories or fuel that mfp gives you will get you to your destination driving at 80 mph. Now think of exercise as getting you there at 120 mph but not stopping for fuel means that the tires get worn down faster, the car will break down easier and in the end will explode. The body is the car, the calories are the fuel, the tires are your muscle without proper fuel they break down and in the end the body feeds off itself. The point of the exercise is to increase the metabolic rate (the speed at which you can safely drive) not to burn off the fuel (calories)
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    [[/quote]
    think of it like driving a car, you have a limited amount of gas before the car starts to break down. The calories or fuel that mfp gives you will get you to your destination driving at 80 mph. Now think of exercise as getting you there at 120 mph but not stopping for fuel means that the tires get worn down faster, the car will break down easier and in the end will explode. The body is the car, the calories are the fuel, the tires are your muscle without proper fuel they break down and in the end the body feeds off itself. The point of the exercise is to increase the metabolic rate (the speed at which you can safely drive) not to burn off the fuel (calories)
    [/quote]

Nice anology. Great post.
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information!
  • kathymc54
    kathymc54 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! this is a keeper!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YEP!! You said it quite correctly!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump for the late night posters.
  • crashta
    crashta Posts: 72
    Options
    Bump :]
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

You probably are not eating too few calories. You have a lot of weight to lose, and 60 minutes of brisk walking it not "working out like crazy". People who have a lot to lose can handle a MUCH bigger deficit than those who have little to lose.

When I had all my weight to lose (90 pounds or so) I could easily handle a deficit of 1000 calories a day. I could work out hard (Tae-bo and weight training 5-6 days a week) and I would lose weight. If I tried to do that now when I am down to the last 10 or so pounds, in fact even with the last 20 or so pounds, I would not have lost weight. My body needs fuel and I cannot handle that big of a deficit.

Looking at what I can see of your profile, I see you have a great deal of weight left to lose. Your body should have no problem handling the calorie level you are at, and eating more in your case will not necessarily help, but as you lose, you will have to increase your calories, probably the first time at about the half-way point.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    bump