The most common mistake women make!

Options

Replies

• kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should qualify your statements to begin with... and again you missed the point. You are saying it's the caloric intake, it is protein. Whether you are 100 lbs overweight or 30 lbs overweight... if you aren't eating enough protein, you won't lose the weight like you want.

No need to feel sorry for me. I don't have a strict diet to follow at this point. I was taught how to eat properly...unfortunately something my parents didn't teach me... and even more unfortunately they taught me to comfort myself with food... so I obviously had to learn how to eat properly. I did that before my surgery.

I'm happy with my choices :)
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well said and thanks for the information. I am not offended at all it's good information.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the 10% of women on this site NOT offended.

im not offended

I'm not offended either...perhaps the beginning could have been reworded to say "people" not women, but the truth is I see many women's diaries on here who are eating 500-800 net calories a day...WAY too little to be healthy long term. I "get" 1500 calories a day, which doesn't seem like a lot to me, but then I have a great workout and realize I need 500 or 600 more calories to get over 1200 net cals...it's all about balance.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Actually, I disagree with you as well.

It's not about calories... it's about balanced meals. Most people who cut their calories, cut their protein and THAT is why they have a hard time losing weight.

Even before my surgery where I'd lost 20 lbs by changing my diet BEFORE surgery, my nutritional counselor helped make me understand the difference!
    I'd say it's all of it. It's what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat (to a certain degree, anyway — you need to get the fuel in to run your engine).
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    VERY well said, though I have to disagree. It is not the most common mistake "women" make, but is it the most common mistake "PEOPLE" make.

Unfortunately, it is women that seem to make a bigger deal AND marketing ads out there seem to gear to a higher percentage of a female audience. That women "should" be a certain way. SO not true.

I am probably in the 10% of women not offended, but at least state the facts correctly.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the 10% of women on this site NOT offended.

Right me either....calm down Ladies, I don't think it was supposed to be offensive, just helpful. And I put myself in that situation and learned I was making a mistake and corrected. I think this is very informative!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yes there is a lack or protein intake but taking in 150g of protein a day at 700 cals is not going to get you any further ahead, hence the reason why it was a GENERAL satement, specifics about intake and what not have been beat to death with very few actually adhering or listening to it. So I am not wrong in the sense that you need to get the caloric goals in priority I advocate clean eating with a lot more protein than recommended by mfp but protein alone is not going to help you lose fat.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    This is way off topic and not what this article was about, but... I'd rather be a Prius. They're significantly more eco-concious. Who wants to blaze through life with reckless abandon? I'd rather enjoy the ride.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol, the prius is the slow metabolic rate, the muscle car or exotic is the athletic metabolic rate, which I am sure you picked up on.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options
    wow thanks for dumbing it down so all us females can finally understand how to lose weight! If only I had a penis, I would have know this already! God what was i thinking!

Still, you gotta admit this girl is funny!!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yes i thought it was most amusing.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for dumbing it down so all us females can finally understand how to lose weight! If only I had a penis, I would have know this already! God what was i thinking!

:laugh: Awesome!
  • PolyTeine
    PolyTeine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find this topic very interesting .. just marking it for later reading.
  • Nbuckton
    Nbuckton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love this! good job in explaining:)
    I also don't find it offensive:)
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    Why is it such a problem that this post was written by a man? I was thinking the exact same thing -- would you have been as offended if I had written the post as a woman? It's true. When men want to lose weight, many of them want to build muscle, so they go that route, where women just want to lose weight, period. Of course it's not true for ALL men and ALL women, but it is a noticeable trend. I notice a lot more of my female MFP friends working out too hard and not eating enough, where most of my male MFP friends are more balanced about it. It's not because they're smarter or anything, it's just because we have different viewpoints -- men want to be beefy and strong, where women want to look like slender supermodels without bulking up. So the men do strength training and eat more, and the women do cardio all day and eat less. It's pretty common around here.

Lay off the guy. He's not wrong.

Perfectly explained why he addressed the post to women and not men. It's true. Many, many more women have eating disorders than man. Society is far more cruel to fat women than fat men. Probably a good 50-60% of my female friends have a 1200 calorie goal here on MFP. He is absolutely correct and so are you to point that out.
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Everyone that was so worked up its really not a big deal.if you find it offensive click the back button its pretty easy.
    And really they are just words , words only have the power we give them.
    :flowerforyou:

Amen
  • x98peterson
    x98peterson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OP: I actually thought a woman wrote it, so AMEN to you for saying what you said! :) Because it is true- I am a medical provider and I have even been guilty of this. Look at the HCG diet- 500 calories? wow!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    My only criticism would be that you suggest that we 'choose' 1200 calories as a goal when in fact for the most part MFP has made that decision.

You do "choose" 1200 calories. It's all in how much weight you "choose" to lose per week. Of course, I fell for the same thing. Who wouldn't want to lose 2 lbs a week? When I put in 2 lbs a week, it automatically gave me 1200 calories. Yikes! I wanted to lose weight, but I DO like to eat and 1200 calories wasn't going to cut it for this girl. I actually turned away the 1400 calorie setting, too, and settled on a much more reasonable 1660 to start. I wanted to be successful at this, not miserable. I know there are plenty of women who set their daily calorie goal for 1200, exercise and burn 300-600 calories or more, then end up consuming 1400-1700 calories if they eat back even some of their exercise calories. I'd be willing to bet those are the women who are more successful at weight loss than the ladies who barely consume 1000 or 1200 net calories every night, and those are the people Dan was addressing, I'm guessing.
This discussion has been closed.