Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just driving by to say "HI".... getting ready to take a vacation later this week so work is hell with all the "prep" for being gone.... :grumble:

Planning on making some "floopsie bread" tonight and then making sandwiches to take with us Thursday when we travel... after that it's "best judgment" as everything will be eaten out. :noway:

Have fun on your trip! Are you going to New Orleans? That should be relatively easy to stay on track - just get in lots of seafood and salads / veggies!
  • labgirl3
    Options
    Anyone here read Omnivores Dillema? I was reading a thread about nutrition books and this one kept coming up. So did the China study, which I know about. Just wondering if this is another hack book or something worth reading.

Not at all like the China Study. Michael Polan is a big advocate of locavores - local veggies and meat. I guess he tends more towards vegatarianism than some, but he heartily endorses Polyface farms (pigs, chickens, cows and veggies) and other sustainable farms. Give it a read - I think you'd enjoy it! If you've seen Food, Inc, he's in it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Anyone here read Omnivores Dillema? I was reading a thread about nutrition books and this one kept coming up. So did the China study, which I know about. Just wondering if this is another hack book or something worth reading.

I really like Michael Polan. Like Labgirl mentioned, he strongly advocates eating local and sustainable for meat, fruits and veggies.

I don't like the China Studay - very judgemental...........
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is pretty funny Bobby. Our box just ordered a bunch of new tee's - that was one of the sayings, as well as: "Shut Up & Squat", "I survived Burpee Week and only got this F&@king T-shirt" and my suggestion "Can't Breathe, Can't Move, Can't get Enough!!"

I've so veered off course. WW sphaghetti, hamburgers on buns... yucky processed hot dogs and ketchup for heavens sake!! AHHH! Save me from this mess!!! It really sucks having to cook for an army. For those of you who don't know the story the short of it is my out-laws are staying with me for 3 weeks. FIL had hip replacement surgery last week. MIL broke her ankle on Sunday.:noway: I'm moving my Mom into a condo in April, all the while cleaning out her house (which was on the verge of becoming a hoarding scenario).:sick:
    The only good news is I've lost a couple pounds.
    Despite my cold, I'm going to my box dammit. Sudafed is laced with pseudoephedrine and I love the high and my productivity is soaring :laugh:

Hope you all have a great day!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Just driving by to say "HI".... getting ready to take a vacation later this week so work is hell with all the "prep" for being gone.... :grumble:

Planning on making some "floopsie bread" tonight and then making sandwiches to take with us Thursday when we travel... after that it's "best judgment" as everything will be eaten out. :noway:

Have fun on your trip! Are you going to New Orleans? That should be relatively easy to stay on track - just get in lots of seafood and salads / veggies!

Yep! We're staying in the Quarter for 4 nights... I love seafood but I NEED a PoBoy... oh and all the alcohol that will be consumed..... :embarassed:
  • Grokette
    Options
    For those of you with pets...............Does anyone know anything about Costco's Kirkland "Nature's Domain" dog food? It is a grain free food and looks to be pretty wholesome........

I received a bag today from our local Pet Food Pantry.........we are struggling hard right now with me being out of work and I am embarrassed that I had to turn to a Food pantry to feed my babies.

I am grateful for the food we received - I am trying to keep them Primal at the same time.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm so highly pissed right now. I wish I could just afford to stay home with DJ and him not be in daycare! How about my daycare owner told me yesterday that she is "required" to give DJ cereal when he turns 4 months (friday). that's its in their guidelines to feed them certain things, and she has to give them cereal in the morning and at lunch. in their bottle! i am so pissed. i'm going to the doc friday and i'm going to see what she thinks and get her to give me something in writing! it's my child! and i should be able to say what he eats! not some book the daycare lady has!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    For those of you with pets...............Does anyone know anything about Costco's Kirkland "Nature's Domain" dog food? It is a grain free food and looks to be pretty wholesome........

I received a bag today from our local Pet Food Pantry.........we are struggling hard right now with me being out of work and I am embarrassed that I had to turn to a Food pantry to feed my babies.

I am grateful for the food we received - I am trying to keep them Primal at the same time.

Better than most dog foods from the ingredients list. I switched to Blue Buffalo recently. Seems pricey at first but more calorie dense than the dogs previous Science Diet with corn as the first ingredient.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I'm so highly pissed right now. I wish I could just afford to stay home with DJ and him not be in daycare! How about my daycare owner told me yesterday that she is "required" to give DJ cereal when he turns 4 months (friday). that's its in their guidelines to feed them certain things, and she has to give them cereal in the morning and at lunch. in their bottle! i am so pissed. i'm going to the doc friday and i'm going to see what she thinks and get her to give me something in writing! it's my child! and i should be able to say what he eats! not some book the daycare lady has!

I totally understand what your saying and agree with you.

Doing so can do PERMANENT damage to their digestive tracks.

Feeding him cereal before his body is ready for it will NOT make him sleep through the night and will NOT fix reflux. In fact, babies are supposed to wake up often, it prevents Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS.) Feeding solids too early to artificially make her do anything can hurt your child.

Giving your baby solids, including rice cereal too early, can lead to obesity, allergies, and a bunch of other problems–including a link to Crohn’s disease.

Their tummies are totally to young to be able to handle it.
    Once your baby is more than 6 months old, they can sit in a high chair and be fed with a spoon. Until then, milk is all she needs.

Yes, get your doctor to put it in writing. I have never heard anything like that before!!!
  • labgirl3
    Options

That can't be right! I'd ask her to show me the guidelines, and I would seriously consider finding a new daycare provider. What about babies with allergies or other special dietary needs? I don't get it - don't most places go by what the *parents* tell them to feed their own children? If she won't honor your requests, I'm not sure I'd trust her with your child. That's a sucky situation for sure.

Even though my babies are now 10 and 11, putting cereal in their bottle was really frowned upon way back then, since their stomachs aren't mature enough. They should eat cereal when they can sit up and eat from a spoon. There are many advantages to delaying solids even beyond 6 months. FWIW - neither of mine liked cereal at all, so they were both accidentally primal! :wink:
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Well, that is just asinine.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Just finished reading Primal Blueprint. Great book.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Had a little bet with my mom who is in town this week. Yesterday I found berries on sale for 98c a carton. STEAL! I proceeded to go bezerk and get a ton. Ma started having a fit about how she couldn't believe how much pure sugar I put in the cart & carrying on about how bad it was for my blood sugar. I tried to explain that I believe the body treats natural sugars differently than, say, a candy bar. So I tested my sugar this morning before breakfast, then had a bowl of raspberries and cream, and retested 2 hours later. My sugar only went up by 10. AHAHAHA! I win bet.
  • Grokette
    Options

That can't be right! I'd ask her to show me the guidelines, and I would seriously consider finding a new daycare provider. What about babies with allergies or other special dietary needs? I don't get it - don't most places go by what the *parents* tell them to feed their own children? If she won't honor your requests, I'm not sure I'd trust her with your child. That's a sucky situation for sure.

Even though my babies are now 10 and 11, putting cereal in their bottle was really frowned upon way back then, since their stomachs aren't mature enough. They should eat cereal when they can sit up and eat from a spoon. There are many advantages to delaying solids even beyond 6 months. FWIW - neither of mine liked cereal at all, so they were both accidentally primal! :wink:

I agree. Also, it is a KNOWN fact that when you feed certain foods too early in life that it is a HIGH probability that allergies will develop and grains are one of those foods.

I blame my parents for me having grain and gluten intolerances. :laugh: :laugh: They started feeding all of us cereal at like 6 weeks old to get us to sleep longer through the night and out of 5 kids (4 girls and 1 boy) us 4 girls all have grain intolerances.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Hey Pyro! I've read alot of posts you've made, I've kinda been stalking you for a couple days, sorry ;) but I checked out the websites you offered too. I've read alot on it. Alot of the versions differ! The reason I started it is b/c a doctor at a weight loss clinic put my friend on a version of the diet. So I thought I would try it with her. The more research I do on it, the more I like the "idea" of it. I'm sure I won't be 100% either, but I really need to get off the carbs and sugars. My cravings are horrible, and my only reason for failure!

If I could get a few friends on here that are doing it, we could always keep opening a new one. I do that with another group I've been in for over a year. but it would be nice to have some friends that are eating the way I eat.

I have created a forum for all of us that embark on "alternative plans" to include all forms of low carb, Paleo and HCG plans. I created the forum last year and a few people joined and we were talking, but them everyone came back here............

I will send the link via a private message if anyone wants to join. We can all speak more freely...........

My only rule is to allow each of us to have our say and we can agree, disagree and whatever, but respect our different opinions and approaches.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading Primal Blueprint. Great book.

yes it is, I've started Primal Body, Primal Mind, so far it's a good one too, but I'm only in a couple chapters, will report back when I;m done
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Hey Pyro! I've read alot of posts you've made, I've kinda been stalking you for a couple days, sorry ;) but I checked out the websites you offered too. I've read alot on it. Alot of the versions differ! The reason I started it is b/c a doctor at a weight loss clinic put my friend on a version of the diet. So I thought I would try it with her. The more research I do on it, the more I like the "idea" of it. I'm sure I won't be 100% either, but I really need to get off the carbs and sugars. My cravings are horrible, and my only reason for failure!

If I could get a few friends on here that are doing it, we could always keep opening a new one. I do that with another group I've been in for over a year. but it would be nice to have some friends that are eating the way I eat.

Sure send me the link

I have created a forum for all of us that embark on "alternative plans" to include all forms of low carb, Paleo and HCG plans. I created the forum last year and a few people joined and we were talking, but them everyone came back here............

I will send the link via a private message if anyone wants to join. We can all speak more freely...........

My only rule is to allow each of us to have our say and we can agree, disagree and whatever, but respect our different opinions and approaches.
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I would put into writing what you want and if they don't follow it, find a new day care. I would be livid if I was paying for my child to be in day care and they weren't complying with my wishes. The American Academy of Pediatrics and World Health Organization state that it is best to wait until closer to 6 months (AAP) and AT LEAST six months (WHO). Also, they both state that it is very unsafe to put cereal in their bottle unless there is a medical reason where the benefits outweigh the risks (ie severe reflux). They need to update their guidelines. Freaking ridiculous. I would tell that woman "If it's 'required' you feed my son cereal at four months, or EVER then you will not be seeing my child, or my money again."
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started the paleo way of eating friday of last week and LOVE IT! I had already cut out dairy almost 3 weeks before (I am breastfeeding and my son was very constipated, which shouldn't be happening when exclusively breastfeeding). I did some research and found that milk proteins can get into breastmilk and cause children to have reactions (constipation being one of them). I came across the paleo WOE as a result. I feel amazing. I have so much energy, am SO much more patient with my two kids (just turned two and 5 month old boys), am way less moody and emotional (after a lifetime of depression and being on and off antidepressents) and have lots a significant amount of weight for it being only a week. Food even tastes better. I went cold turkey though. I am just that kind of person. I cut all dairy (for littlest man at first), refined sugar, and grains. I have no cravings, I never go hungry. Love ♥

My son who has been soooo dramatic and tantumy lately is even much more even tempered and although he was already sweet, he is even sweeter and more snuggly. Also he is MUCH better at listening to me. My husband althoug not as strict as me (he doesn't want to waste what was left in the house but has agreed to give this a try) has lost weight just from eating what I have been making. I also make his lunches for work. He is LOVING the food!

I thought I would share some helpful resources I found. I don't know if any of these have been shared as I haven't read all the responses. (There are a lot!)

A really wonderful and helpful forum. The people are so friendly! www.cavemanforum.com
    Recipes! Everything I have made from this site has been amazingly delicious! She uses some dairy (grassfed or clarified butter) and other things but they are easy to substitute if needed. She is also coming out with a cookbook soon! www.everydaypaleo.com
    I made these a bit ago and they were really good! I haven't made anything else there yet but the stuff looks great! http://gavanmurphy.com/pulled-pork-wrap/
  • pyro13g
    Options

I'm in