WOMEN AGES 50+ for April

Options

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Kathy (plantlady)--Hang in there, k? I got off the track for a while, too, but I am making my way back--slowly but surely.

Amanda--Take care of yourself! Lots of prayers for you--and for everyone else.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning All:

Read all the posts and everyone seems to be very busy and getting into
    the Spring mood with planting and gardening. We don't do that here
    in Canada until toward the end of May. :ohwell:

Weighed today since back from vacation and have lost 2 lbs. already.
    Now to get to the next level of losing. I want to lose at least 5 lbs. to
    get to my next baby step of weight loss. It has been a roller coaster
    ride but still at it. Now I am walking at lunch at work so I am sure this
    will help. I never stop exercising everyday, but extra is always good.

LYNDA: You mentioned you stopped drinking wine, I wish I had the will power,
    I still have the odd glass but not everyday. Good luck on your
    weight loss, I don't eat my exercise calories either. It just
    works better for me.

LAURA: Good Luck to your husband on his job interview. It is difficult
    with this economy. Best Wishes to him and hope he gets it.

Have a great day everyone.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I am at work and thought I could remember who had a birthday last week and who lost at their last check in, but I promptly forgot as soon as I hit reply.

Happy Birthday to all of our April Birthdays!

Gratz to those who have loss.

:flowerforyou: and a hug to all those struggling:heart:
    :drinker: and a toast to all of us for hanging in there and continuing this journey.

On the subject of exercise calories, I try not to eat them, but now that I am down to 1200 calories a day, it is hard not to use them. I need to up my exercise again back to what I use to do so I don't use them everyday.

Jeannie
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm back from my trip to the Bay Area. The friends I hadn't seen for many years were happy to see the weight loss. That's always a good feeling! One said I looked about 40! :laugh:

I'm irritated with myself for making so many grand plans and promises that I (promptly) failed to keep. It's not a good thing! :noway: :noway: :noway: I'm back and I'm staying back. But, no more "I'm committed to weighing every..." blah, blah, blah. I set myself up for a scolding (from myself) and, if there's one thing I KNOW doesn't work, it's being critical of myself. So, enough of that!!!

:smooched: I weighed my food this morning. I ate healthful food. And I'm posting on MFP. I'm proud of myself, and that's the truth and all the truth I need to focus on! :smooched:

Amanda, I hope you feel better soon. I'm sending careful hugs through the air. ((( ))):love:

Kathy, you're doing a great job of hanging in there in the face of a lot of stress. :heart:

LovesAuburn, glad to see you here. I love Auburn too. (It's a town as well as a hair color (!) and is in the Sierra foothills. I live about an hour south of there but at the same elevation.)

Natalie, keeping track of calories with Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc., might be a little easier than keeping track of them with MFP. Those can be good ways to go. I do best when I weigh my food instead of measuring (or eyeballing :laugh: ) it. Weighing is also easier than measuring. There are some great little scales on Amazon in the $20 range.

I've read all your posts and wish I had time to respond to each of you. But, I've got to get going. I miss you when I'm gone. You are dear to my heart. I'll be here until Easter then gone again for a few days.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Well, I weighed in this morning, and guess what ... I gained 2 lbs, I am so frustrated, I did have Pizza yesterday, 2 pieces....didn't eat crust, it was cheese, I put in my diary, ?? I am about to give up here, and try WW, I don't know what else to do, being on this for over a month, and basically nothing happeneing...
    One frustrated, Natalie

Natalie--are you tracking your sodium? Pizza is LOADED with it! (Even without the crust!) Whenever I have even one piece of pizza I am guaranteed to be up in weight the next day. I find that the older I get the more I have to keep an eye on things like the sodium in food.

OK, this doesn't appear in a blue box, I don't know why, everyone elses posts do... but yes I realzie that there are alot of sodium in pizza, and I will try and stay away from it as best I can...
    I am going to work on the sodium, and drink lots of water... I am going for my 1x a day bikeride outside for 30 min.. did upper body with my 5 lb weights yesterday 2x.... I do about 6 exercises with my arms, 10 to 20 repetitions depending on what they are, ie triceps, or biceps, and I did them 2x yeseterday.
    I am going to the hospital to take my dog for her pet therapy visit after the bike ride, I so do enjoy doing that, to see people smile...
    Goal today is to drink lots of water..
    natalie
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Natalie, don't give up. You might want to track your sodium and I would suggest that you decrease your fat and up your protein. Unfortunately a calorie isn't really just a calorie. We all need to find the right balance for our bodies and it takes time to figure the right way out. Since you are doing well on calories I would try focusing on the micronutrients now and see what happens. More protien for sure. Just my opinon. It is what worked for me before and I need to get back to doing it again.

sorry I haven't been posting much. I am here every morning reading thru the posts. I haven't hit on my magic combination yet but I am not giving up. I had an interview yesterday for a different aerospace company. It would be a good job so we will see if I get to the next step.

Take care all.

YES, up the protein is a great idea.... I need to do that, but I do love my cream cheese and crackers in the morning with my coffee, and can't give that up, I will try to work on the rest of the day, with more veggies, fruit and protein...
    Natalie
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Finished my 3.5 mile walk this afternoon and did 1 mile to and from GP this morning!
    Mary! Glad to see you back with us and that you had a good trip! Be proud!
    Shirley, congrats on losing 2 lbs!
    Jeannie, thanks for input on exercise calories - I guess I'll play it by ear for now...
    Dee - love to hear about your bluebirds! Photos would be welcomed by me!!!! :smile:
    and you're right! Let's celebrate!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I plan to swim again today. Yesterday when I got home I took the dog for a walk, but today I have a meeting, so probably won't have time for the walk. Still windy, but it is 70 here, so I am happy. Have a great Tuesday, all!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ALL:flowerforyou:

Linda :drinker: congrats on thos two pounds.

Natalie - you sure are busy....are you drinking enough water:drinker: I found that drinking the water was very important to losing.

Dee- You enjoy that new coffee maker:flowerforyou: we all need a little something special. Keep tweeking your eating, exercise and water intake and you will find the formula that works for you to lose. it took me several months to figure out what worked for me, and I would never encourage anyone else to do what I did because we are all built differently:wink:

Robin, hoping that interview gets you to the next phase:flowerforyou:

Kackie- curses on that wine and cheese:wink: I know that sometimes I just HAVE to have it...then it takes a few days of extra exercise and water to rid myself of my "treat". You keep shaking up your metabolism and you will find what works for you.

Mimi- glad you are back from your jaunt. I always find it's fun to go but I really miss my routine and I think my body does too like it can't wait to get back to eating right, drinking the water and doing the exercise:wink:

Michelle - I don't think there is anyone on here (unless it's Barbie) that mixes up their exercises as much as you do:drinker: You are an inspiration to all of us.

DH just called and said he was off to find a suit for his interview on Thursday. The last time he bought one was 14 years ago when he was looking for a job:wink:. I hope he finds something he likes and that he's satisified with it.

Work is crazy busy and it's almost the middle of the month and I have to get the qtrly taxes ready...I really dislke doing those:grumble: besides having to cut the tax checks.

I best get going. Everyone have a good day/evening.

Laura:smile:
  • grabbit97
    Options

Natalie - you sure are busy....are you drinking enough water:drinker: I found that drinking the water was very important to losing.

I am trying to be busy, it's a good thing... I had a burger with no bun, zuchiini/onions sauteed, sliced tomatos. for lunch... drank 10 glasses odf water today..
    I rode my bike 30 min, took dog to the hospital for pet therapy ...
    I am tired!!!
    I am going to stick with this diet.. come H*ll or high water....
    Natalie
  • Ldspill
    Ldspill Posts: 49
    Options
    Just reading some of the posts and I see several ladies questioning whether or not to eat the exercise calories....DON'T DO IT!!! This was the way a personal trainer explained it to me: :heart: A pound is equal to 3500 calories, You will have to have a 500 calorie a day deficit for a week (500 x 7) in order to lose a pound. If you eat those calories you'll never have the deficit. It really doesn't matter how you take those 500 calories out, eat less or exercise more..it will work. If you Google "how many calories in a pound" you'll probably get a better explaination.

After being sick for a couple of weeks my weight went back up 4 pounds...OMG! That is why my goal for this week is to lose 4. My plan is to cut 200 calories out of my diet, easy to do if I load up on veggies. Then I plan on exercising more than usual, 30 to 60 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. I know it will work, when I weighed this morning I was already down 2 pounds from yesterday. If you ever watch the Biggest Loser they follow a diet plan and exercise 4 to 6 hours a day....hence the "Big Numbers" at weigh-in. If we all had the time to work out that much we probably wouldn't be on this site.

Congrats to all the ladies who were successful this past week and lots of Good thoughts and Prayers to those having difficulties. It will get better.

God Bless You All,
    Lynda
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! I am new to MFP...about 2 weeks and found this group today....nice to find a group of my own age. My name is Pam, 58, live in Pittsburgh and am a Nurse Pratitioner in a busy ER. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Now at the age of 58, I have had enough. I am working hard to get down to a normal weight...a healthy weight. No longer do I want to feel unattractive, frumpy, or hide in the back so nobody sees me. I hate participating in any group activity because I don't want people pointing and laughing...even if it is only in my imagination. I want to be able to toss my blood pressure and diabetes pills as well. There is a size 12 inside of me screaming to get out.

Friend me if you would like. I look forward to getting to know everyone and being mutually supportive.

Pam
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just reading some of the posts and I see several ladies questioning whether or not to eat the exercise calories....DON'T DO IT!!! This was the way a personal trainer explained it to me: :heart: A pound is equal to 3500 calories, You will have to have a 500 calorie a day deficit for a week (500 x 7) in order to lose a pound. If you eat those calories you'll never have the deficit. It really doesn't matter how you take those 500 calories out, eat less or exercise more..it will work. If you Google "how many calories in a pound" you'll probably get a better explaination.

Lynda
    Lynda, the reason some people need to eat back exersize calories is the MFP already calculates a deficit in the calories that you are alotted. If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600 then you are only giving your body 600 calories to live on and you will burn around between 1500 and up just living. check out what your BMR is on this site. That is what MFP uses to calculate your deficit. If you don't eat enough and exersize too much you will hold on to what you have. Everyone is different and what works for one doesn't work for another but I just wanted to make sure that everyone got the fact the MFP alread calculates a deficit when you set it up for weight loss.
  • Ldspill
    Options

Lynda
    Lynda, the reason some people need to eat back exersize calories is the MFP already calculates a deficit in the calories that you are alotted. If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600 then you are only giving your body 600 calories to live on and you will burn around between 1500 and up just living. check out what your BMR is on this site. That is what MFP uses to calculate your deficit. If you don't eat enough and exersize too much you will hold on to what you have. Everyone is different and what works for one doesn't work for another but I just wanted to make sure that everyone got the fact the MFP alread calculates a deficit when you set it up for weight loss.
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Lynda - That is sooooooooo true. It's a fallacy (how do you spell that?) that you should eat all your exercise calories. If you want to lose, you do not eat them all.

Laura, you too are correct. We listen, read, study and experiment when we're developing a new "lifestyle".....I don't like to use the word diet because that implies short term....a lifestyle is life long. Anyway, once you find out what your body responds to, you stick with it. The most important thing is PATIENCE! It is NOT a quick fix and it involves developing good habits as well as eating good quality foods.

Natalie, I looked online and the HCG diet has to do with the acai berry. It's just another fad, altho there is some benefit to acai juice just as there is in many other juices. But, just like with the cabbage diet, the grapefruit diet, the ice cream diet :bigsmile: (we wish), unbalance is not good. The only way to go is a good balanced approach for your body specifically.

Now I must :embarassed: apologize! I came across sounding like a teacher. Can't help it. After retiring from teaching, I was a WW Leader and I loved that job. If I hadn't gotten sick: I'd still be doing it. Anyway, I am so passionate about a healthy lifestyle, positive attitude and helping others that I get excited when talking about it. But then, I guess that's what this forum is all about.....Motivation and Support for 50+! :bigsmile:

Have a nice evening everyone. DH will be home soon. OH that's a story! His dad has dementia and is in an assisted living facility - he's a level 2 out of 5. When he was on a "field trip" to WalMart, he must have had a flashback and came back with a "considerable amount" of liquor! So DH had to go to the facility to retrieve the booze! :ohwell: Parenting of another kind.

Dee :flowerforyou:
  • Ldspill
    Options
    It would be nice if I really knew how to reply and quote....see above.

Robin, I agree with what you are saying but I think when a site says you've earned extra calories people think they have to eat them and with that I disagree.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    A lot of posts today. I understand that some people eat their exercise calories and it works for them. However, I do tend to agree with Lynds's trainer. I know that MFP already gives you a deficit to lose when they figure. But I just cant wrap my head around eating back calories. First of all you are eating the amount they tell you to lose. If you exercise that just increases your loses. I also know that you should not put your body into starvation mode but I believe that is considered below 1200 calories. I know biggest loser is a show and they are monitored very very closely and I know we should not do anything that drastic but they do only eat a certain amount of calories and they exercise like someone said hours and hours a day. Once I heard one of them say their burn for the day was thousands of calories. finally I usually go workout at night so I would have to eat 500-600 calories at night to eat mine back and I dont think that is a good idea. Just my opinion and I know everyone has one. I am not at all saying to eat them back is wrong but just dont think it is for me.
    Vicki M
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Congrats to all the ladies who were successful this past week and lots of Good thoughts and Prayers to those having difficulties. It will get better.

God Bless You All,
    Lynda

Hi Lynda - sorry I don't get this... If I let MFP do the math, then using myself as an example,
    My nutritional goals are:Cals consumed daily =1470
    Fitness goals are:Cals burned weekly= 2310 (which I have more than covered each week so far)

On the other hand: If I burn 1950 cals daily from 'normal activity' (not workouts?) and consume 1470 calories daily THEN my daily cal deficit would be 480 cals - these two figures balance out to a calorie deficit of 480 (MFP math) so the 2310 cals I burn weekly from exercise don't figure in this equation do they? In other words, my MFP diet profile is configured BEFORE I do any workouts.
    Have I made a terrible mistake somewhere?? :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    ps sorry if I'm causing confusion - I've got the bit between my teeth and need to get to the bottom of this, as well as stopping mixing my mataphors!! :laugh:
    Good luck again with your 4 lbs!
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! I am new to MFP...about 2 weeks and found this group today....nice to find a group of my own age. My name is Pam, 58, live in Pittsburgh and am a Nurse Pratitioner in a busy ER. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Now at the age of 58, I have had enough. I am working hard to get down to a normal weight...a healthy weight. No longer do I want to feel unattractive, frumpy, or hide in the back so nobody sees me. I hate participating in any group activity because I don't want people pointing and laughing...even if it is only in my imagination. I want to be able to toss my blood pressure and diabetes pills as well. There is a size 12 inside of me screaming to get out.

Friend me if you would like. I look forward to getting to know everyone and being mutually supportive.

Pam

Welcome to the group Pam, I too am diabetic, and need to lose about 40 lbs, doing 20 right now, and hope that you have good success here.
    Natalie
  • Laurieannfanelli
    Laurieannfanelli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree through exprience. In all my yrs my body, notice I say my body cause my body is different then most. It is stubborn I have to eat less calories and work my butt off in order to loss weight. I do eat very clean sometimes I indulge, but not often. But I have to get to those 3500 cal less in order to loss a pound. My body has always been this way. The only thing different know is my sugar levels I'm prediabetic know and I watch my sugar from getting low. And when it does I will eat a little more potien and if it gets high I excersise to bring it down. But everyone is different you know. If I just eat 1200 cal I will not loss anything. I have tried it for one month to prove a point to my trainer and my body just would not let go. And you know it does have a lot to do with hormones and blood sugars etc. At my age you never know. I just do what works for me. I am glad to find this site that has ladies my age. Cause we are unique!