HOLY TOLEDO!!! What's the biggest calorie shock you've had

Options

Replies

• DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how much the Olive Garden salad is, and also my fat free hazelnut coffee creamer!
    I hope you ate dinner if you were really hungry.
  • dsweise
    dsweise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My shock came in the form of a seemingly "healthy" blueberry muffin. You know th eones in the big multi-pack from Sam's or CostCo. It has 630 calories! I couldn't believe it. I had just wanted one for a snack but it was outrageous.
  • placebo50
    placebo50 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My biggest shockers are Wendy's Salads (750 cal) and from Baja Fresh a Burrito Mexicano is a whopping 800 cals! I tell yeah I felt sick after reading that number, that was basically half of my daily allowance.

Also my usual Dunkin Donuts fun of a small Iced Mocha Latte is 250 cals.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    My mom and I love shrimp scampi and since I can't believe its not butter spray has no calories, we would saute our shrimp in it with garlic and pour it over noodles.....come to find out that a whole bottle of ICBNB spray has 900 calories and 90 grams of fat. 25 sprays has 20 calories too so it adds up. I don't know about you, but I have never used 5 sprays (which is what ICBNB can report as zero cal) -more like 15-20 sprays. should have just used the real butter!

I have used olive oil, with some butter. It's not zero, but it is better. The butter gives it the flavor, and the olive oil makes it go further without all the calories!

Would you share your recipe for shrimp scampi?
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just started seriously doing this diet thing this week & haven't even had a chance to go out to eat yet... that's a good thing though. I'm sure as soon as I do I will be shocked to see the calorie count! I love to eat at Chilis and I know most of what I would order there is probably more than my daily allowance (1200)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Just look at a slice of your favorite cheesecake. You'll be shocked.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Starbucks "SKINNY" ginger stem muffin...
    400 calories.
    That's not going to make anyone skinny. Seriously I can't believe they can advertise something that small with that many calories as basically a light/healthy option. I have not eaten there since!
  • michellemariescott
    michellemariescott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One of my shocks was serving sizes for breakfast cereals. I was eating double the serving size. Now I try to have a smaller portion and add berries or bran buds to make it more filling.
    Other shocks were Tim Horton's bagels, raisins and cheese and crackers. I was consuming hundreds of calories snacking on cheese and crackers while preparing dinner. No more of that!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Grilled shrimp skewers on angel hair pasta, salad and bread sticks at Red Lobster. All together I think it was over 4000 calories but the sodium was horrendous! Seriously like 2 days worth.

Thanks for reminding me I was just asking hubs to go for lunch. :wink:
  • TinieeTee
    TinieeTee Posts: 17
    Options
    I had a muffin yesterday. Looked up the calorie content on the web site. 800 calories. My total for the day is 1480. Yesterday was my day off from workouts!!!! Oh, well I will NEVER do that again.lol
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries not made in my kitchen! ARGH!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks, I started drinking them during a bad break up, then I looked them up online and immediately stopped.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think I am shocked every time I go to the supermarket and look at the labels. No wonder we all need to loose weight. Until you see it in front of you, you have no idea. Thank God for mfp. for putting it right in your face.
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This past week, I bought and ate something I shouldn't have with my eyes wide open: a large McD's French Fry. I was shocked when I looked up the calorie count before going there (500 calories), but still went there anyway. I had not had McDs FF in over a year. So, I tracked it on my diet and ordered the FF as my only lunch item. When I got my stale fries (through the drive thru) I parked, walked inside, and told the manager I wanted a fresh batch because it was costing me 500 calories. I ate about a 1/4 of them, then felt guilty for being so determined to have them, but I finished them anyway. I decided not to beat myself up about it: the craving was gone, I exercised off the 500 calories in a run, and stayed within my calorie count for the day.
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My shock came in the form of a seemingly "healthy" blueberry muffin. You know th eones in the big multi-pack from Sam's or CostCo. It has 630 calories! I couldn't believe it. I had just wanted one for a snack but it was outrageous.

All Costco Muffins are evil... Just the size of them is daunting... Muffins are toted as being healthy, but really they are not, most times a lightly buttered bagel is the way to go. I used to eat them regularly, not any more won't touch one again!
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    a turkey sandwich from Arbys with no sauce on it, it didnt taste very well and I can make a better sandwich at home for atleast 400 calories less
  • kabailz13
    kabailz13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    [...] i believe it was around 250 calories ( dont quote me, the panera website was smart enough to only report 90kcals, and i cant do the conversion...anyone know how many calories that is?)

There is no conversion. 90kcals is 90 calories in everyday speak.

I believe you probably mean "kJs" = kilo joules.

1 kilojoule = 239 calories

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_calories.php

1 calorie = 4.184 joules

1 kilocalorie (kcal) = 4.184 kilojoules (kJ)

ie. no conversion :)
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to love Applebees!! After I made the decision to change my eating habits, my best friend and I went there for lunch as we had so many times before, but this time we looked up the nutrition info of our favorites on my phone and were horrified!!
    Riblets Platter: 1600-1820 cal, 88g fat, 29g sat fat, 130g carbs, and 99g protein!!!
    Appetizer Sampler: 2410-2590 cal, 168g fat, 48g sat fat, 160g carbs!!!
    Grilled Shrimp n' Spinach Salad-regular: 940 cal!

Well, that day I ordered a pick n' pair, grilled shrimp n' spinach salad (250 cal) and chicken noodle soup (90 cal)
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Subway's tuna sandwich, a 6 inch is 530 cals and 30 grans of fat 0.0 and I usually eat a 12 inch. never again lol
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This past week, I bought and ate something I shouldn't have with my eyes wide open: a large McD's French Fry. I was shocked when I looked up the calorie count before going there (500 calories), but still went there anyway. I had not had McDs FF in over a year. So, I tracked it on my diet and ordered the FF as my only lunch item. When I got my stale fries (through the drive thru) I parked, walked inside, and told the manager I wanted a fresh batch because it was costing me 500 calories. I ate about a 1/4 of them, then felt guilty for being so determined to have them, but I finished them anyway. I decided not to beat myself up about it: the craving was gone, I exercised off the 500 calories in a run, and stayed within my calorie count for the day.

I also went to McD's this past week and ate what I shouldn't have. I went to the gym with my son at 7pm and burned approx 480 calories and was famished afterward. I still had 250 calories remaining for the day plus this additional 480. I kept reading that we have to eat back our exercise calories and was told to raise my protein, so I tried to go for a high calorie item instead of a bunch of lower calorie stuff.
    So instead of ordering my 260 cal grilled chicken snack wrap, I ordered my former, longtime fav, double cheeseburger (440 cal), sm french fries (230 cal) and a fudge sundae (330 cal). I ate about 1/3 of the sundae then gave it to my son, 1/2 the fries and those went to my son, 4 bites of the cheeseburger and I realized it tasted horrible!
    It was a stupid choice to make, but I'm kinda of happy I tried because now I know I don't like that stuff anymore.