Starting Couch to 5k - want to join??

Options

Replies

• Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Since my running days were pushed back a day due to horrible weather last Sat, I am forced to run on my designated Happy Hour day. Not to worry, this morning I got up at 5 am and knocked out my W6D2 run before work. Oh the sacrifice...Cheers!!
  • a_fit_me
    a_fit_me Posts: 103
    Options
    W7D2 Completed today.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    So haven't checked in since Monday I think, but I finished out W7D3 by finishing 5K in 30:39 seconds. A new PR for me! It was indoors on a treadmill, so I"m thinking my next race I should be able to finish faster since I'll have the adrenaline and be running outdoors.

You are all rocking! Keep it up!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well done, everyone is doing so well.

Today is my week 9 day 1 run, - not too worried about it as its only another 2 minutes on top of what I've already been doing. Might take the sat nav out to actually see how far I run today just out of interest.

I've got 3 weeks till my 5k run so may do week 9 for all of those weeks to quicken my pace.

Well done PJ, that is a really good time.
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Did Week 9 Day 1 - was ok. Managed to record distance too which was 2.91 miles. Quite pleased as got 3 weeks till 5k race, so time to quicken up :wink:
  • Bubs05
    Options
    I have hit the running wall...but I'm not giving up. I am on W7 and got 4 minutes into it yesterday and I knew it just wasn't happening. My calves tightened up and I had to stop. So I tried again tonight and got through it, not fast, but I finished. And then after dinner I treated myself to a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich!
  • rooboi85
    rooboi85 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Into W6 D1 - Completed - Boy that was easy lol felt odd to be doing so little after the 20min non stop jog of last week! - They obv know what they are doing being so popular!!

Just moved house so new routes to start planning.

W6D2 is on hold have to work a double shift - might get up earleir and do it tomorrow - good way to start the day feeling proud of acheievments!

Good look to everyone else doing this course!
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Into Week 7, Day 2 complete. Being only 4 ft 11 in (my steps just don't carry as far as others), an ex-smoker, and asthmatic I only went at 4.3 mph. At that rate I'm only at 2 miles when I should be getting closer to 3 miles? My boyfriend teases me about it. I'm going to try to get to 5 mph and then 6 mph. Anyone else have issues with the speed?

~ Joanna
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Week 9 day 3 done. Carrying a slight injury so pushed through to the end with a bit of difficulty but managed 2.71 miles so slower than day one but at least I managed to finish.

Got 2 weeks til race but think I'm going to take a few days off now :frown:

Good luck everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • Bubs05
    Options
    Into Week 7, Day 2 complete. Being only 4 ft 11 in (my steps just don't carry as far as others), an ex-smoker, and asthmatic I only went at 4.3 mph. At that rate I'm only at 2 miles when I should be getting closer to 3 miles? My boyfriend teases me about it. I'm going to try to get to 5 mph and then 6 mph. Anyone else have issues with the speed?

~ Joanna
    I'm very slow but I'm not worried about it at this point. I'm running, that's all that matters. After I'm comfortable I can work on increasing my speed.
    I was reading an article yesterday about how to increase your endurance and it mentioned that one of your runs a week should be a 'slow run' at 3 minutes a mile slower than your typical pace. I laughed and thought 'if I run 3 minutes/mile slower, a baby crawling would lap me'...lol
  • alicja2022
    Options
    hej i am Alicja, signed 4 weeks ago for cancer Research 5k in July, need to start training too. it is my first time, never run before.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options

~ Joanna
    I'm very slow but I'm not worried about it at this point. I'm running, that's all that matters. After I'm comfortable I can work on increasing my speed.
    I was reading an article yesterday about how to increase your endurance and it mentioned that one of your runs a week should be a 'slow run' at 3 minutes a mile slower than your typical pace. I laughed and thought 'if I run 3 minutes/mile slower, a baby crawling would lap me'...lol

Thanks, that helps me feel better. :happy:

Omg ... a 'slow run' at 3 minutes a mile slower than my typical pace? That would put me at walking speed, LoL!! :laugh:
  • rooboi85
    Options
    Hey all,

W6D2 completed!

Not sure what speed I go at - I know i'm faster in my first half then I tend to slow and just keep moving just keep moving... nice little rythum until I there those sacred dolcid tones....you have completed todays runs....

Roll on tomorrow W6D3 - If i think on I'll use another Iphone app I have which plots your run and speed and I'll report how far / average speed.

Be good to see where I am at - considering 6 weeks ago I was that couch potato and 3 months ago smoked 20 a day!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Things aren't good here. I did days 1 and 2 of week 6. I totally didn't feel ready for day 3, so I decided to re-do week 6. Well, last Monday I did day 1 again, but then I started TOM, got a UTI, hurt my shoulder and stepped on a piece of glass so I didn't work out for the rest of the week. I started working out again on Monday (doing 30DS) but I haven't re-started c25k. I need someone to either say something motivational or give me a boot to the *kitten*.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, love the support on this site!
  • Bubs05
    Options
    Things aren't good here. I did days 1 and 2 of week 6. I totally didn't feel ready for day 3, so I decided to re-do week 6. Well, last Monday I did day 1 again, but then I started TOM, got a UTI, hurt my shoulder and stepped on a piece of glass so I didn't work out for the rest of the week. I started working out again on Monday (doing 30DS) but I haven't re-started c25k. I need someone to either say something motivational or give me a boot to the *kitten*.

Wow, you had a lot going on!! Make yourself do your C25K, even it's a previous week/day. Sometimes it just takes the act of starting it that 'boots us in the *kitten*'.
    Also, you can't quit on week 6, you've almost finished 2/3 of the program!! Admittedly W6/D3-W9 look daunting but that's what you've worked the previous weeks for. So get out there and do it damn it!!!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Wow, you had a lot going on!! Make yourself do your C25K, even it's a previous week/day. Sometimes it just takes the act of starting it that 'boots us in the *kitten*'.
    Also, you can't quit on week 6, you've almost finished 2/3 of the program!! Admittedly W6/D3-W9 look daunting but that's what you've worked the previous weeks for. So get out there and do it damn it!!!!

DONE! Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't feel I could come back here and say I didn't do it yet, so I did it. :flowerforyou: I have to finish this. Somehow, it's become symbolic of my weight loss. I feel if I can see this through (running is something that scared me and I NEVER wanted to do it), I can accomplish my weight loss goals. Even if it takes me 18 weeks, I need to finish.
  • rooboi85
    Options
    Good on ya Sabrina!

I do beleive that you cant give up you just got to keep on going and once you've completed it your feel a great sense of acheivment and accomplishment!

I find it helps me to have a good playlist with suited beats to my running speed - sub consiously I seem to slow down to slower songs - so I like to keep a upbeat rythum and count down the songs as I go - if you need to slow down I try to do it in the middle then you can speed up for the last 5 mins.

I also run with my dogs cause they complain if i go too slow lol

Failing that try select a course which has some down hills in it so you can take a break for a few mins whilst still moving...

Hope these help!
  • rooboi85
    Options
    W6D3 today - will elt you all know want to get it done before the Wedding - shown tonight in Australia
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked in this week. Been running what technically would be week 8 days 1 & 2, but I've just been running/jogging 5k. Monday I finished in about 32 minutes, today finished in 30 minutes 11 seconds. A new best lol.

I hope you guys are still sticking to it, this program is great. And if I never started it there is no way I'd be running at all right now.