What's the REAL reason you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I want my outside to match my inside.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Women
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Partially for my health. My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at 42, and has dealt with other major health concerns over the past four years (he's 60 now). I'm 33 and decided I didn't want to be like that at all.

The other reason is so I can feel comfortable enough to start dating.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I actually started my weight loss journey for health, seeing as my parents are suffering medically and I don't want to end up that way. Plus I'm a nursing student! I can't advocate health if I'm not healthy. :)

My parents both have had weight issues, and I totally get what you're saying there. Plus, I'm an RN, and I agree with the nursing thing. Wait 'til you start working as an RN and notice two things:

1. There are really no overweight elderly people (they don't live that long; obesity tends to limit your lifespan to about 65)
    2. The health problems and terrible life of the obese patients

that's enough motivation.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I did it for health reasons, so that I would be able to spend as many quality years as possible with my family. Being thin is just a side effect.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Crop tops.
  • Jaimz2k
    Options
    My wedding
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my entire life and I want to know what it's like to be thin and have a flat stomach.

I want to be strong and muscular.

I want to look great for my wedding in Spring 2016.

I want to wear a bikini for the first time ever.

I want to be able to do strenuous things (yardwork, etc) without getting exhausted.

• MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I realised I'd split the crotch of 80% of my jeans, and 10% didn't fit anymore. And also I noticed my jawline was way less defined. Finally I had jumped on the scales and I'd just tipped over 14st, 196lbs, when 4 months before I was 13st- shocked me into sorting myself out! So vanity reasons really, but having the health benefits helps me keep going.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Is it actually for your health?

Yeah...I didn't set out to lose weight...I had a lot of bad blood work and basically I was looking at being very sick in the near future and likely dead by 60 if I kept going the way I was going. In 2 years time I've completely turned my life around. Losing a good 40ish pounds is nice, but being healthy and fit is far more important to me. All of my blood work is now in the "optimal" range and I'm off all of my meds except my blood pressure medication; my hypertension is apparently more hereditary than diet and exercise related.

In my experience, long term and sustained success requires this to be about more than just losing weight...because dropping the weight is just the beginning of a much longer journey.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Finding out that I have stenosis in my carotid artery and am at risk for a heart attack or stroke.

There are lot's of other reasons I want to lose weight, but that's the one that really got me moving.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    To look good in clothes. I don't give a damn what I look like naked anymore. Nobody sees it but me. :confused:
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Tired of feeling uncomfortable and unhappy with myself. And I'm like more clothing options.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just want to feel good about myself when I look in the mirror.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Vanity reasons mainly. I want to look in the mirror and be pleased with what I see. I also want to live a very long life.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'm not sure. I'm not at a "healthy" weight. But ALL of my blood work is perfect.
    I'd rather be strong than thin, which is why I've been working out.

Also, I have to fit into a bridesmaid dress in November that's just a touch to tight for me :P
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Partially for vanity.....

..but also almost every woman in my family ends up with some long term issue like high blood pressure or diabetes post pregnancy due to becoming pregnant while already unhealthy and continuing bad habits while pregnant. I want children one day and I don't want to fall into that same category. I want to be a healthy happy mommy!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Appearance is definitely a motivator for me. But, with that being said, I find that more and more I appreciate fitness and strength as part of an attractive appearance. I no longer think of thin as being synonymous with attractive.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    My clothes were getting tight; also I didn't like how I looked in photographs. Health issues- I have high cholesterol, my father just had open heart surgery, my mother has bad knees (and is overweight), my brother has MS and is type II diabetic, my mother just got diagnosed with diabetes. Getting older is not a choice, getting older while feeling good and healthy is.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    to turn my wife back on! ;)