Ebola is freaking me out!!

Options

Replies

• Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Beastette wrote: »
    I'm here because somebody said there'd be chocolate. If I don't get chocolate, then you will truly have cause to fear. I will also take coffee or money with which I can buy chocolate.

here you go

chocolate.jpg

Thank you. Problem solved.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm here because somebody said there'd be chocolate. If I don't get chocolate, then you will truly have cause to fear. I will also take coffee or money with which I can buy chocolate.

here you go

chocolate.jpg

Thank you. Problem solved.

I aim to please, not spread disease!

• Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm more freaked out by the stunning display of ignorance and paranoia. But that's just me.
  • Beastette
    Options
    DISEASE?! What disease? I thought we were discussing chocolate, chocolatiers, and chocolate sourcing! Unless...you can catch CHOCOLATE???
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why, do you regularly exchange bodily fluids with your chocolate?

That sounded worse than I intended.
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    DISEASE?! What disease? I thought we were discussing chocolate, chocolatiers, and chocolate sourcing! Unless...you can catch CHOCOLATE???

I just wanted to rhyme
    I won't next time :(

• dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Beastette
    Options

If you saw my fella, you'd know just how bad that sounds. Also, yep.

• trinatrina1984
    Options

If you saw my fella, you'd know just how bad that sounds. Also, yep.

Haha who doesn't like to masticate over chocolate?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »

you have to realize that there is only so much that can be done, and even if we do everything we'll end up weakening the human immune system over the years to the point where one nasty airborne virus is going to come along and wipe us all out. look at the immune system of our ou natural primate relatives compared to us and i think the difference that letting nature handle virus's is the best way to go

Unless you are immune compromised, then our immune system is still working fine. A vaccination (the most likely medical intervention for a virus like Ebola) works by priming our existing immune system. It doesn't weaken anything.

Primates, while close to us, are not us. "Effective" viruses generally don't kill their usual host outright. Look at SIV, a possible precursor to HIV: it is thought to have infected primates for more than 30,000 years and is non-pathogenic in primates. It has evolved to infect and be transmitted while NOT killing the host. It's often only when (through rare events) such viruses cross species that they can become pathogenic. Basically, due to small differences between us and primates, the mechanisms that allow the virus to be non-fatal in apes makes it fatal to us.

If there is an airborne virus that wipes us out, it will probably be a strain of flu!

Of course, if we let nature have her way completely, millions if not billions of people could die from such a pandemic. But I guess the ones that survive will be immune to that virus...

just to add to your post... recent research into common chimpanzees shows that they do sometimes succumb to an AIDS like illness as a result of SIV, while bonobos don't seem to get SIV at all (no-one's sure exactly why)... the original host species of SIV is some kind of macaque/monkey I think (who are unaffected by it because it's adapted to live in them as a host). Chimps most likely got SIV by eating the monkeys that are the host, and it's been in chimpanzees for thousands of years (but not long enough for the virus to adapt perfectly to them, hence them becoming ill from it). Recent research suggests that HIV crossed the species barrier between chimpanzees and humans in the 1920s or so, i.e. HIV is descended from a strain of SIV that infected chimps. Eating bushmeat was one factor in this, but not the only one as people have eaten bushmeat for thousands of years and while there were cases of SIV in humans due to eating bushmeat, there was no human to human spread. A mutation in the virus that allowed it to spread from human to human must have happened to enable it to fully jump the species barrier.

chimps and gorillas also get very ill and die from ebola with similar symptoms to humans.

Jane Goodall's field study, and her most famous book about it, describes how the chimps she studied underwent an epidemic of a human disease, I think it was polio and it left some chimps paralysed.

In any case, non-human primates are vulnerable to many of the same diseases as humans.

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    therocpile wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.

This is not misinformation at all, You can do your own research like I said. In medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term. Ebola is drop-let borne. You just said it yourself "It's only spread by via body fluids" - If someone sneezes or coughs and you breathe the same air as them, you can get infected. If you think those numbers only pertain to Africa, you are sadly mistaken and ignorant. Everything I said can be backed up, do your own research.

The "sneezing or coughing and inhaling those droplets" - that is the definition of an airborne virus. I don't need to do any new research, as my years as a respiratory therapist will do me just fine, thank you very much. You are fearmongering with your misinformation. Droplet virus can only be spread by direct contact with the virus, as with skin contact with the bodily fluids.

K

"Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen"

"Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease."

"Direct contact means that body fluids (blood, saliva, mucus, vomit, urine, or feces) from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose, or mouth or an open cut, wound, or abrasion."

" Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

Maybe you should do some "new" research. I'm just "fear-mongering" though, straight from the CDC's website.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

I think the concern here is while ebola is a contagious disease, the transmission of the virus is far less troublesome than airborne viruses like influenza.

Also, ebola is easily killed with disinfectant.

This isn't a super-virus that we are ill-equipped to handle. The spread of this disease in Africa is far more prevalent due to poor infrastructure and poor hygiene as a result of it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.

This is not misinformation at all, You can do your own research like I said. In medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term. Ebola is drop-let borne. You just said it yourself "It's only spread by via body fluids" - If someone sneezes or coughs and you breathe the same air as them, you can get infected. If you think those numbers only pertain to Africa, you are sadly mistaken and ignorant. Everything I said can be backed up, do your own research.

The "sneezing or coughing and inhaling those droplets" - that is the definition of an airborne virus. I don't need to do any new research, as my years as a respiratory therapist will do me just fine, thank you very much. You are fearmongering with your misinformation. Droplet virus can only be spread by direct contact with the virus, as with skin contact with the bodily fluids.

K

"Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen"

"Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease."

"Direct contact means that body fluids (blood, saliva, mucus, vomit, urine, or feces) from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose, or mouth or an open cut, wound, or abrasion."

" Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

Maybe you should do some "new" research. I'm just "fear-mongering" though, straight from the CDC's website.

Since what you just posted just confirmed what I told you (the difference between airborne and droplet transmission), I don't see what your point is. Ebola protective precautions include full body protective suits which have PAPR, to prevent droplets from being sneezed or coughed into the health care providers mouth, nose or eyes (which is droplet transmission, not airborne), there would be no danger of transmission this way.
    A person with Ebola coughing onto a surface and then someone else touching that surface and picking up the virus is an example of droplet transmission as well.

The health care workers in the US who have so far shown to be infected have said they started caring for the patient prior to full protective barriers being put into use. They were exposed because of ineffective protections, not because the virus is airborne.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sjeannot wrote: »
    Did yo uknow that frear is not of God. Our God is bigger than any illness that can come over our bodies so make sure you keep praying and keeping your eyes on him and not the things that can ruin our lives.

Yeah, all 4447 dead people just didn't pray hard enough. :astonished:

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    KJSU6ZH.jpg
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    a4dygn1b61cv.jpg

Umm, I just discovered that this is a thing and no little Ebola scare is going to make me stop eating it

kthanxbye
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

K

I think the concern here is while ebola is a contagious disease, the transmission of the virus is far less troublesome than airborne viruses like influenza.

Also, ebola is easily killed with disinfectant.

This isn't a super-virus that we are ill-equipped to handle. The spread of this disease in Africa is far more prevalent due to poor infrastructure and poor hygiene as a result of it.

The problem I see is that 1) they said no issues - it's unlikely to come here because of pre-flight screening in Africa 2) it showed up shortly after that announcement 3) the public was told no issues - the American health care infrastructure is well equipped to not spread the virus 4) shortly after that, two nurses got sick, and those nurses tended to other patients and one took a plane while having a fever from the virus. 5) The nurses union said nurses complained about a backup of hazardous waste collecting while caring for the first US ebola case patient 6) so much for higher hygenic conditions 7) the nurses also complained of not having protective gear to cover themselves properly while caring for the patient. 8) so much for being "well equipped" to handle this.

Given the FACTS that HAPPENED, not the ones they announced to quelch public fear, I would say skepticism is quite logical.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    sjeannot wrote: »
    Did yo uknow that frear is not of God. Our God is bigger than any illness that can come over our bodies so make sure you keep praying and keeping your eyes on him and not the things that can ruin our lives.

Yeah, all 4447 dead people just didn't pray hard enough. :astonished:

You misunderstood the point they were making.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me :mask:
  • CJisinShape
    Options

K

Since what you just posted just confirmed what I told you (the difference between airborne and droplet transmission), I don't see what your point is. Ebola protective precautions include full body protective suits which have PAPR, to prevent droplets from being sneezed or coughed into the health care providers mouth, nose or eyes (which is droplet transmission, not airborne), there would be no danger of transmission this way.
    A person with Ebola coughing onto a surface and then someone else touching that surface and picking up the virus is an example of droplet transmission as well.

The health care workers in the US who have so far shown to be infected have said they started caring for the patient prior to full protective barriers being put into use. They were exposed because of ineffective protections, not because the virus is airborne.

And I'm sure they appreciate the nuance. The point you are missing entirely is that they were exposed to a very lethal virus. Here. In the US. In a "hygienic" place, where they were "well-equipped" to handle it and "contain" it. You can argue all you want about how contagious it isn't, but the fact remains that they caught that terrible disease.
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    10525865_10204223775267239_7223350303739746781_n.jpg?oh=e93f3e92234a4eeb41cd0fd018f68517&oe=54EDE43C