Friends who don't exercise?

Options
malavika413
malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
I'm a 5'3, 145 pound college student looking to be anywhere from 115-125 pounds (whatever looks best). I hate exercise and I don't have the time or energy to work it into my schedule. It seems I'm always surrounded by powerlifters, crossfitters, etc. I'm looking for friends who, like me, don't exercise (for whatever reason).

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you just do it if you want to be healthy. I enjoy it,, gives me a great high.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby you do like and hang out with those friends? I mean, honestly, it's a little baffling that you want to base your friendships on who works out and who doesn't. That's so bizarre to me. Why do all have to be the same?
  • malavika413
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Find a hobby you do like and hang out with those friends? I mean, honestly, it's a little baffling that you want to base your friendships on who works out and who doesn't. That's so bizarre to me. Why do all have to be the same?

Just MFP friends, so I can learn from what/how they eat and if their weight loss strategies are working better than mine. I don't want to compare myself to those who exercise. My IRL friends all exercise, so that has nothing to do with it.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Just MFP friends, so I can learn from what/how they eat and if their weight loss strategies are working better than mine. I don't want to compare myself to those who exercise. My IRL friends all exercise, so that has nothing to do with it.

Oh, ok. Sorry then, I wasn't clear on that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I lied, I do hang out with a Crossfitter. He's not a "bacon socks" Crossfitter, but we do speedwork sessions on the days that he has his running. He's useless after 3mi, but it's a win-win.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Pff, I never exercise. Wednesdays, Thursdays and some Fridays I walk about 45 minutes all together getting to and from uni, and most of the other days of the week I literally only get out of bed to go to the loo and get food from the kitchen. I even keep my laptop in bed with me. I've lost about 30lbs so far with about another 40 to go. But I don't think there's much point in friending me because my food diary is private (because I know I wouldn't log accurately if I knew people could see it :blush: ) so I'm just here to say that yeah, losing weight is possible without exercise ^-^
  • malavika413
    Options
    Pff, I never exercise. Wednesdays, Thursdays and some Fridays I walk about 45 minutes all together getting to and from uni, and most of the other days of the week I literally only get out of bed to go to the loo and get food from the kitchen. I even keep my laptop in bed with me. I've lost about 30lbs so far with about another 40 to go. But I don't think there's much point in friending me because my food diary is private (because I know I wouldn't log accurately if I knew people could see it :blush: ) so I'm just here to say that yeah, losing weight is possible without exercise ^-^

Awesome! Yeah, I walk around my university, but that's about it. Yep, my weekends sound like yours. :)
  • PRMinx
    Options

Awesome! Yeah, I walk around my university, but that's about it. Yep, my weekends sound like yours. :)

So, for both of you, don't discount that walking. 45 minutes a day for three days is a big step for some people. Exercise is exercise.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.
  • malavika413
    edited November 2014
    Options

Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.

I really really dislike exercise. I have yet to find an activity that makes me sweat that I can tolerate. I know a lot of people are after toned bodies, but I just want a skinnier one. Exercise doesn't really fit into my goals, I guess. I was looking for MFP friends that felt the same.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Who name called?

I really really dislike exercise. I have yet to find an activity that makes me sweat that I can tolerate. I know a lot of people are after toned bodies, but I just want a skinnier one. Exercise doesn't really fit into my goals, I guess. I was looking for MFP friends that felt the same.

There are a lot of people here who choose not to exercise. If that's what you want, then that is your choice. Is it for me? No. I love exercise (didn't always, but do now).

I will say this though - you are young. You aren't necessarily thinking about the future and how age impacts your health and body. There may be someday when you need to exercise for your health. Just don't write it off.
  • CMAnorma67
    Options
    Each of us has our own ways of doing things. If everyone ran, or if everyone worked out each day we would all be the same. I try to do the little things like take stairs instead of elevators. Or walking to my friends house instead of the jump in the car.

I am personally glad we are all different in how we approach things. Helps us all see a new way. Plus makes us individuals and not a mass of the same.

Have a magical day :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But...but....exercise means you get to eat more. Therefore, exercise = awesome. Sure, you can lose weight without exercise, but I don't know who would feel good after sitting on their butt all day.

Considering this is MyFITNESSPal, I'd say most of us exercise. Perhaps on the WeightWatcher or Atkins forums...
  • malavika413
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am trying to develop a healthy lifestyle--I'm 145 pounds and aiming to drop at least 20 of those. That will put me at a good, healthy weight.
  • malavika413
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

I don't think I'm invincible, I just have other priorities other than sweating everyday and feeling terrible about my inabilities. Like eating the right amount of food, keeping up with my classes, working on my relationships, etc.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise either, because of ankle and knee troubles. I'm just doing the OMAD thing to lose weight. The only exercise I occasionally do is hiking. For some reason, I don't have any pain when I'm in the woods.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I was totally there when I was in college--my campus was huge and I walked all of the time. Why would I need to work out? I, too, had many friends who hung out at the IM all of time.

22 years later and I regret it--skinny is one thing, but fit and skinny is something else altogether. Try some different classes... kickboxing, yoga, spinning, pilates... My mantra used to be "I only run when chased" and last month I ran my first half marathon. Something will click eventually--hope it doesn't take as long for you as it did for me.

The best things in life are worth working for.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

Ditto. Totally regret not getting onboard in my 20s. Live and learn :)