Friends who don't exercise?

Options

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    OP- you're certainly not alone. I know several people who maintain slim bodies through diet alone and hate exercise. However, as another poster pointed out, you are probably in the minority on this site. Many people here enjoy exercise, and then there's a whole other class that don't love exercise, but enjoy the extra calories to eat :) If you're looking for shared diaries that are in a similar net calorie range as yourself, I'd probably try a new post more specific to that and ignore whether the friend exercises or not. Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Is your schedule really that busy as a student that you cant find half an hour a day to do some exercise? As people want to live longer these days then id almost say you cant afford not to exercise due to the health benefits and especially those later in life. Your choice, but you should be aware of them.

It's not about finding time for her. She just hates it and she is using her "other pursuits" as an excuse to justify it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Lets take a different approach OP (friend). How does your family history look? I know my genetics are complete trash and I cannot believe that me being one of the heaviest in my family generation that I have not had any problems from high blood pressure.

Everyone's overweight except my 90 pound 15 year old sister. I'm probably going to be overweight when I'm older, but for now I'd like to be thinner for the sake of my own pride.

So everyone is overweight. Do you know in my family I am if not the most overweigth. High blood pressure is beating us even at young age. My cousin who I think is underweight has high blood pressure at

Why are you accepting being overweight in the future?

Because life will get in the way. My mother is very overweight, but she's also an executive that travels the globe and earns respect wherever she goes. She has two children, a husband, several pets, and she never sits down or has much time to herself. I intend to live a life like hers, she's my role model. The fact that she's overweight is irrelevant.

Really OP?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you consider exercise - instead of ruling it out entirely.

I'm 48 years young and in the best shape of my life.

I work out an hour a day - every day.

It's really pretty easy - trade in one of those hours that you're watching TV - to an hour of being active.

Your body will thank you.
  • singersmom1234
    Options
    I don't exercise either. I HATE it. Do I know its good for me? Yes, but I still can't bring myself to do it. Hopefully, the eating right will be enough to lose weight anyway. I've done it before without exercising, I just know it is harder to maintain the loss. Maybe this time will be different.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

Ditto. Totally regret not getting onboard in my 20s. Live and learn :)

I don't think fitness is something I'm going to grow into. My family doesn't exercise at all. I've been brought up to prioritize other things. Kudos to all of you for making the choice to exercise, but it's not for me.

one word...LAZY!

Sure, maybe I'm lazy. I've chosen to challenge myself in different areas, exercise isn't one of them. It's just a different lifestyle.

Just throwing it out there, because you continue to say you challenge yourself in other areas...

So do I. I have a full-time demanding career, I just finished my MBA, I have friends I love and family that live nearby. I have a house to maintain all by myself. I'm dating. I have pets. The list goes on and on. You aren't any busier than anyone else. Trust me.

I'm not saying I'm any busier than anyone else. I know lots of y'all have full time jobs, a brood of kids, etc. I am just not interested in exercise. I find it unpleasant and a drain on my self esteem.

I was 250+ pound 5'9 white boy who couldn't shoot, dribble, or pass trying to play against kids who grew up with a basketball in their hand. You think it was pleasant? I did it because I enjoyed watching basketball and I wanted to push myself outside of my comfort zone. I went into the weight room full of guys doing NFL combine reps of 225 and I couldn't even push 115 pounds off my chest without help from my roommate. You think it was pleasant? I did it because I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone.

Very few people in the world start off great at something. It takes hard work and dedication. It takes moments of real challenges. Lift isn't about doing what you are comfortable with.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So yeah, do what you want, but don't avoid something because you are scared.
  • vgravedo
    Options
    The best way to study is to get up every 20 minutes and do something else. Go do your laundry. Walk up and down some stairs. Do some push ups. Jump up and down for a minute. Anything adds up in the end. Plus you will fell better and be more attentive in your studies. :wink:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Is your schedule really that busy as a student that you cant find half an hour a day to do some exercise? As people want to live longer these days then id almost say you cant afford not to exercise due to the health benefits and especially those later in life. Your choice, but you should be aware of them.

It's not about finding time for her. She just hates it and she is using her "other pursuits" as an excuse to justify it.

Im being polite, but it is ultimately the OPs choice. I prefer to do some because although it can be hard work and boring, there are several benefits and it gets me to target faster or more easily. I find many of the people on the success boards inspirational and admire them becayse I cna only imagine what hard work it must have been exercising with hundreds of lbs to lose, but they did it.

Good luck OP, makre sure you do everything to eat sensibly, sustain and log accurately.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it's that big of a deal. Some people exercise, some people don't -- that's their choice. I, personally, don't "exercise' (as in, put on workout clothes and go to the gym). Though I do walk quite a lot to get around campus/the city, so maybe that counts.

I detest every form of 'hard' exercise. I've tried every sport under the sun, and I can't get into it. I've never, ever experienced that exercise high that everyone seems to talk about. I didn't even feel satisfaction when I broke fitness goals (back when I made myself exercise); I was always just focused on getting out of the gym as soon as possible, and I dreaded the days of the week when I'd have to exercise.

Basically, I just gave up on it a few months ago and I've been feeling a lot happier and more cheerful since.

Maybe one day I'll take it up again when I physically have to, but until then, I'll just stick to eating healthy.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I just have other priorities other than [...] feeling terrible about my inabilities.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: CONSEQUENCE OF "EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY" CULTURE!!!!

you do realize that college is a place to push yourself out of your comfort zone and to turn "inabilities" into "abilities"?

but striving to reach mediocrity is a lofty goal if you don't ever wanna "feel terrible about inabilities". claiming you have "different goals" is a neat little mask to try and hide the above, but it's there, QFT.

LOLz.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    I don't see why it's that big of a deal. Some people exercise, some people don't -- that's their choice. I, personally, don't "exercise' (as in, put on workout clothes and go to the gym). Though I do walk quite a lot to get around campus/the city, so maybe that counts.

I detest every form of 'hard' exercise. I've tried every sport under the sun, and I can't get into it. I've never, ever experienced that exercise high that everyone seems to talk about. I didn't even feel satisfaction when I broke fitness goals (back when I made myself exercise); I was always just focused on getting out of the gym as soon as possible, and I dreaded the days of the week when I'd have to exercise.

Basically, I just gave up on it a few months ago and I've been feeling a lot happier and more cheerful since.

Maybe one day I'll take it up again when I physically have to, but until then, I'll just stick to eating healthy.

I think what a few of us are noticing is the OP's hiding behind a facade of being too busy and having her time invested into something else. She mentioned a few times that exercise hurts her self-esteem which probably means she did, at some point, try working out and something bad happened.

I just want her to know that she can do things that she isn't comfortable with or good at with a bit of practice and hard work. She needs to learn how to push herself. Exercising will help her improve her fitness goals, which is why she is on this site anyway.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think what a few of us are noticing is the OP's hiding behind a facade of being too busy and having her time invested into something else. She mentioned a few times that exercise hurts her self-esteem which probably means she did, at some point, try working out and something bad happened.

I just want her to know that she can do things that she isn't comfortable with or good at with a bit of practice and hard work. She needs to learn how to push herself. Exercising will help her improve her fitness goals, which is why she is on this site anyway.

^This
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Sorry to see you are taking a battering on this thread. I've sent you a friend request.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Its not a big deal if thats the way that the OP wants to do it. It is an importnat thing to look into though because of the benefits it offers and the one thing most of us have in common is we want to lose weight as quickly as is sfaely possible. Using exercise to supplement the calorie deficit makes a difference and can make the original yask of maintaining a deficit easier. If you walk around a lot then that does count as will the calories you burn.

Everyone finds their own way, but all things being equal then the one who exercises on a regular basis will be healthier and reach target faster.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Alot of people dont exercise on this site , some barely move. Do what u want , its your journey. There are just alot of die hard exerciser on here that love it. Me, I dont like exercise either, but I do walk,occassionally. You dont even have to have friends on site, alot of people do it without and succeed.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    When I started here nearly four years ago I pretty much lost weight through deficit alone. I then realised that I wanted to eat more and then started to exercise, I then realised I actually really loved exercise. For me, my activity at being 5'3" and 110lb is the difference to maintaining on 1470 or 2000+

Everyone's journey is different. Just never say never.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP wasn't really asking for your opinions on whether or not she should exercise or how she should force herself to exercise when she doesn't want to. She was asking for friend requests from other people who also don't exercise. She already said earlier in the thread that she does walk around campus a lot, so it's not like she sits on her butt all day every day. Yes, exercise is good for you. But she's also perfectly entitled to hate it and avoid it if she wants to. Maybe one day she will start exercising but today is clearly not that day, so there's not much point in criticising her.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Guys, the OP wasn't really asking for your opinions on whether or not she should exercise or how she should force herself to exercise when she doesn't want to. She was asking for friend requests from other people who also don't exercise. She already said earlier in the thread that she does walk around campus a lot, so it's not like she sits on her butt all day every day. Yes, exercise is good for you. But she's also perfectly entitled to hate it and avoid it if she wants to. Maybe one day she will start exercising but today is clearly not that day, so there's not much point in criticising her.

Not criticizing her. I am only calling on her to put herself out there and try something scary and new.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Not criticizing her. I am only calling on her to put herself out there and try something scary and new.

Only one person attack her and there comment has been deleted. I am just trying to get her to see that training can help her get the body she wants and she does have a goal body she wants.