How do you react when a stranger randomly compliments you?

Options

Replies

• summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Never gotten one. Don't see it happening anytime soon. Women don't randomly compliment guys unless they're really fit and good looking. It's a thing.

I do... I randomly complimented a guy on his hands before. He sat next to me in a class and everyday I just admired his long beautiful fingers, and finally told him one day. I think women are just more reluctant because they don't want it to be misconstrued.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Externally...
    210.gif

Internally...
    4196602-gif+(1).gif
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Never gotten one. Don't see it happening anytime soon. Women don't randomly compliment guys unless they're really fit and good looking. It's a thing.

This is not completely true. I compliment guys if they have something that stands out about them, like a great shirt or a dapper mustache. I think I'm going to make it a point to randomly compliment guys more often.

Wow, that is really great of you to start doing that. I'll second that I don't get complimented, but I'm not exactly good looking (yet) anyway. There was once I was talking to a woman, hanging out with a group at a bar and talking politics (to each their own, right?). We had seen each other around a few times, but didn't really know each other well. I knew we had that in common, and she had complimented me so I thought she might be interested in dating (because otherwise women don't ever compliment men, right?). I was kinda hitting on her back. She later sent me a message and basically said she was not at all interested... she just had sensed I was feeling down and was trying to cheer me up.

That may be why women are less inclined to compliment. They may want to be nice, but not have the guy read too much into it.

Yes, I can believe it. If most women complimented men regularly, it would be different, though. One woman will not be able to change that single-handedly, and will become another victim of misunderstanding.

I'm not too worried about it. I can scare most men away pretty easily. If they aren't put off by my disregard for social niceties I can just pretend to be a stage 5 clinger and watch them scurry off.

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    incredible-hulk-choke-o.gif
  • stonegirldancing42
    Options
    That depends. Is it a genuine compliment, or is it something we social strings attached.

Usually, it's a smile and a "Thank you."

Unless it's got undercurrents that don't deserve thanks. Then I am temporarily deaf.

Agree.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Like the title states, how do you react when a person be it from the same sex or opposite sex just randomly compliments you?

Do you like it?
    Do you think they are crazy?

What is your honest reaction?

I smile, say thanks, and go about my business. What's not to like?

I think you have some esteem issues if you can't take a compliment as just that, and automatically think someone is 'crazy'.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Externally...
    210.gif

Internally...
    4196602-gif+(1).gif

bwahahha love this!

i say thanks bit seldom place any value on it. still nice to hear though :)
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    smile big and say thank you!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Violently.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm awkward, soooo, even though I don't mean to, I usually somehow find a way to undermine the compliment.

example:
    "I like your outfit"

my awkward response:
    "Thanks it was on sale..."

????

Generally followed by me wondering wtf is wrong with me.

You, myself, and a million others do the same thing, lol. Why is it so hard to just accept sincere compliments? :)
  • Robinson1258
    Options
    quote="Jesus_Shaves;10016802"]Like the title states, how do you react when a person be it from the same sex or opposite sex just randomly compliments you?

Do you like it?
    Do you think they are crazy?

What is your honest reaction?[/quote]

Honestly it depends on how it is said but usually I say thanks and return the compliment.

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Usually, I start slowly, but sometimes I just have to passionately kiss them.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I back away slowly or scowl.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Usually just say thank you. But it depends on the compliment & the context of the words. Most of the time, I just ignore it, especially on social media, since it's full of douchey men. But when people compliment something I'm wearing, or my red hair (which I'm pretty used to since I was a child) or just something subtle, I don't mind. Some people though take "complimenting" a little too far.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank them and go about my business. If it's a creepy cat call sort of "compliment", I ignore them
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I smile and say thank you. Sometimes that's the end. Sometimes it starts a conversation.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    audrey-blush-gif.gif
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That hasn't happened in a while!
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Here's one! You are very Pretty and fun to talk to! :grinning: