40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Kids!
    I, like mygnsac, am at work, but have a moment. It is a lovely day in northern California and I watched a beautiful sunrise on my peddle in this morning. Now that daylight savings time is over, I can actually see in the mornings, and there were some great bird shows over the bay. Last night was a weekly "girl's night" standing date with gf. That used up all of my exercise cals. Today should be a good defecit.

Sdereski, what is the reset diet? And happy day 2 of it! It sounds like your energy level is strong this week. GD is adorable.

Beeps, that's some awesome definition!

Caramel, of COURSE you're getting stronger! You're an exercising machine, and the muscles have no choice but to fall in line.

KS, I feel your pain in the leftover Halloween candy world. I'm usually strong too, but we all waiver, and chocolate is a powerful drug!

Larro, sorry about the back. Is it any better?

jneesy, good for you! Judging by your picture (new baby?) you have a lot to be healthy for! Have you seen the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? You may find it inspiring - there's a fellow truck driver. Stick with it, and with us!

Myginsac, so glad to hear the disruption of construction is nearly over for you. Enjoy your walk around the lovely Capitol.

BHSlick,webtracer, moogplayer, welcome!

Have a terrific hump day everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,966 Member
    Options
    Amazing photo, larro....it is a whopping plus five here, today.

curious, i miss "girl's night"....the women around here are homebodies.

Got my lifting in and done. BOOM.

Tomorrow I think I will go for a long walk.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    AHHHHH I CANNOT STOP EATING SWEETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with me??? I need Beeps to hit me on my head and say BOOM!!!! It has been raining here since last night. I had to cancel Zumba but what do I do, ate the rest of the bag of candy corn that I had started eating yesterday!!!! I didnt workout today except my exercises at PT.

Sorry I cannot answer to all of your posts!!! Welcome to all the new members. Keep posting away!!! Kelly Sue, I saw something about your husband. What happened? I hope everything is ok.

Has the site changed? It looks really weird in my laptop (my old laptop) My newer laptop "passed away". I need to get it fixed ASAP!!!! But even with the newer laptop MFP was looking different, kinda weird. Has there been an update?

I have to share the picture of my granddaughter from Halloween, she was Elsa from Frozen OF COURSE!!!! I did a Sugar Skull makeup with a Tutu, etc. It was last Zumba Halloween Party. I already set the date for my last class, that will be on Dec 17. :(

Have a great evening!!!!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids, hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Welcome all newbies....Enjoy your stay. Remember consistency is the key to success. You are doing the hard part and we will support and encourage you.

Day 3 of training and I am really surprised I am not sore. I feel great. I absolutely can not stand hand release push-ups, mountain climbers and bear crawls. My gym is doing a 50 day holiday challenge in an effort for you to maintain or lose weight from now until the 1st of the year. My employer is holding a 8 week challenge in which I will pull a team of committed people together so we can kick some butt and win some serious prizes. Last year we had teams that won brand new apple ipads and flat screen tv's. For this years completed summer challenge, I chose a nike running hoodie for the upcoming cold days. My employer give us so many incentives and $ towards a healthy lifestyle. I really wish the staff who do not use theirs could transfer their credits to those of who max it out. I am getting permanent eyebrows in a couple of weeks. I am sick of drawing them on or paying for henna ones that come off when I work out. You only have to get the color touched up every 3 years or so. I can live with that.

Beeps--You look great. I aspire to take a back photo and have definition like that. I am lifting heavier each week. You would have been proud of me yesterday.

CG--Sounds like you had a nice girls outing. Birds on the bay sounds so relaxing and surreal. You know anything about animals peak my interest.

Larro--How are you doing? What;s going on with your back? I love the photos as always. You never disappoint. There are a lot of guys joining the group. Are you ready for all of this competition? (lol) I am snickering prematurely, as I know something witty will come from you.

KellySue-Sounds like you are a busy bee as usual. In terms of the comment, I can relate to your feelings except people say insensitive things or ask very personal questions as it relates to my bald head. I learned with age; you can not cure or fix STUPID. You have come to far and busted your butt to allow someone to steal your shine, thunder and most importantly your energy. You are moving along with the house. I will be happier for you when you can have a sense of normalcy once again. Hugs to you.

Sdereski, I am curious too about the reset diet. Can you fill us in with some details. Your GD is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Alf--If it was nutritionally sound, I would eat sweets all day, especially vegan chocolate chip cookies......Perhaps your body is lacking something.

I hope I did not miss anyone and if I did, please forgive me.\

Good night kids

• Diegosmother
    Diegosmother Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I found the end of the thread, and hoping to hop in this group

I'm 43 and have been on the right track to get back in shape since the beginning of this year, it's been a slow process and had a few bumps in the road, but have lost about 10 pounds so far, and feeling motivated to ensure I keep it off during the holidays (the worst part for me - I love anything decadent and sweet. But ensuring that I track what I eat and working out (even the smallest amount) has really helped.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I need all the support I can get right now!
    Lisa
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Morning Kid's!
    Down to 166 lbs. this morning ( 11 lbs. till goal ). Not sure I'll want to go much lower can't afford to keep buying clothes. LMAO. Wearing 8's and 10's already. My husband keeps making fun of my baggy underwear.
    Evidently I weigh less now than 20 yrs. ago when we got married. Wore around a 12 back then ( rarely weighed myself ) and now my wedding band is getting super loose. Our friends came by last night to work on our laptop so hopefully I'm back up and running though not sure how long it'll last.
    Hello Newbies!
    Great pictures everyone!
    Kellie Sue- I always hated when people would ask that one! I'm sure one woman at work used to do it to "poke me with a stick". Don't feel bad your doing awesome! I remember one customer made a comment to me one day implying that we were the same age. I was pregnant with my daughter then ( at 39 yrs.) I asked how old do you think I am? She was older with grandchildren. I laughed.
    Anyway if internet holds up I'll try to check back later.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good morning kids.
    Today is day 4 of clean eating. :) The reset diet is a Beach body program that also has supplements with it, however, they give you a meal plan with the recipes, which is what I am doing. The first week of the reset diet, they call it "reclaim"...you can eat grains, beans, fruit, chicken and fish. The second week is "release". No meat allowed this week, and fewer grains, and then the third week is "restore", this week you follow a vegan diet. My plan is to follow the 3 week plan and then go backward with it. So, 1-2-3-2-1. After 5 weeks, I will probably stay with the week 1 diet plan. I love the foods in this week. For example, my breakfast is cooked oatmeal, I tbsp. maple syrup,1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.
    Really, it is just clean eating common sense. This just provides me with a meal plan and recipes - no thinking involved. I am down a couple of pounds, but am not getting excited about anything until I see some serious progress.
    Did get a run in yesterday and have to say, I felt like my old running self for the first 3k!That in itself is big for me.
    Larro - great picture.
    Kate - woot! You are doing so, so well!
    Kelly - I too had someone ask when I was due, but this was many years ago, after I had my second son, and I had lost a bunch of weight, but still had that baby pouch, which btw, never went away.
    carmel - great job with your training. It won't be long and you too will be posting pictures of that sexy back.
    Beeps - your hard work lifting shows. Looking great!
    curious - I love girls night. They don't happen often enough for me, part of the reason being, many of my girlfriends have moved away. :cry:
    gynsac - glad to hear you are feeling better.
    alf - I so hear where you are coming from. Sugar is my enemy! Ugh! Hopefully, you will get it back together soon.
    Welcome newcomers!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Congrats Kate! You're doing great.

KellySue - I had someone ask me when I was due whilst holding my 2-4 month old baby (don't remember exactly). It was a bit astonishing to imagine their total inability to grasp the physiology of that - couldn't possibly be showing with next baby size of a pea (even were I already magically preggo moments after delivering the one I was holding). With that level of intelligence from the commentators I do my best to brush it off.

Jneesy, Lisa - Welcome. Keep going. We're a diverse bunch but all very supportive.

Larro, Beeps - Consistent as always!

Keep up the great work!
    Nick
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    AHHHHH I CANNOT STOP EATING

Sorry I cannot answer to all of your posts!!! Welcome to all the new members. Keep posting away!!! Kelly Sue, I saw something about your husband. What happened? I hope everything is ok.

Alf- My hubby ended up with an inflamed disc and then the vertebrae on either side of that disc ended up with an infection. Bone infections are nasty and painful things!! He was in the hospital for 10 days and is now in a rehab facility basically learning to walk again and regaining his strength. At this point, he hasn't really walked in almost three weeks. They are projecting that he will be in the rehab until somewhere around November 25th. Long Road!!

Went and took care of some house things this morning. We tried to turn the water on, but something was leaking underneath so they had to shut if off until we can figure out where the leak is. Blah!

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

sderesky, good luck with the clean eating program. I need to do more planning for my suppers at work. I ended up having to go shopping last night and settled for deli meats. So my Sodium numbers were through the roof, and I gained almost 2 pounds since yesterday.

Kate, you are doing great. And I can relate with the too big underwear. I had just bought a couple of jumbo packs of XL boxers right before I started losing. Now I use them for sleepwear. But I can roll over in bed without them moving. I did break down and buy some mediums a couple weeks ago.

Lisa, welcome. I have found that making low sugar "sweets" using sugar free jello {also pudding and pie filling} with lite cool whip and flavored lite yogurts make it easier to skip the real stuff. Now I'm adding plain Greek yogurt as well, just to kick up the protein numbers.

Caramel, those prizes would make a person try harder. Maybe you will win something nice. Meanwhile I bet you could benchpress me. As far as the back, it's a long story, but here is the cliff notes version. 31 years ago when I came home from the Navy I decided to semi-retire for a couple of years. I had a family owned house and helped on the Ranchero, so food and rent wasn't a real concern. I cut grass in the summer and firewood in the winter to pay my light bill and car insurance. I took care of the grounds for a rich lady who lived nearby, working early and late, spending the rest of the day on the river. Well one day I was mowing thick brush down by the river with the tractor and bush hog. I felt something in my hair, and when I brushed it off, I found out it was wasp. I got 23 stings, mostly on my neck and shoulders. {but at least one in a place you never want to get stung. Note to self: cotton shorts isn't the best gear for bush hogging} I jumped off the tractor to run get in the river to get the wasp off, but I hurt my back on landing. Do you remember the cartoon characters who would run in the air for a couple of seconds after running off a cliff? That is how I was leaving the tractor. I was all good until I hit the ground. So ever since then when I bend over wrong, like tying my shoes, or just about anything, my back can go out. This is the first time I have had a problem with it since I lost the weight. It doesn't hurt all the time. Just when I stand, sit or lean over.

Alf, we did have an update while you were gone. This thread will show up in "Your Discussions" because you started it. Any other threads you want to keep up with you can bookmark my clicking on the star at the upper right hand side of the page.

Beeps, glad you got your lifting in. If you skipped a session I think the world would tilt on it's axis or something. BOOM.

Curious, I rarely see the sunrise. But for some reason I am waking up before Margie leaves for work. Is it the time change or all the clanging cloths hangers hanging behind the bathroom door?

mygnsac, glad you are feeling better. And that the remodel is coming together. Thanksgiving is always up in the air around here. All Margie's family is dead, and there is only Sister and Mamma left in mine. But BIL has young grandkids, so we schedule our meal around his plans with his family. Most years we do it on Friday. That Thursday is always the first day of gun season, so I like not having to be tied down.

Alright, for the Larro Ranchero news. My back is still a little gimpy, so I cut the lifting by two thirds this morning. Also skipped the AbRocker again, but I did do full cardio. I'm going to town to make up for missing my Tuesday shopping due to the election. I'm off tonight, so I was planning on cooking. When I ask Margie what she wanted, she said, "I wouldn't mind if you swung by Wharf Express and got me fried shrimp with a side of red beans and rice." Do you think that is a commentary on my cooking? Eating out is always a challenge calorie wise. I guess I will do the soup and salad, but even that is big calories.

Here are the numbers for the week.

22.4% Body Fat
    56.5% Body Water
    24.8 BMI
    177.2 Pounds

I gained almost two pounds since yesterday, so I'm blaming the chicken, turkey and ham sandwich I had last night. It sent my Sodium numbers off the charts.

Hope everyone has a good day,

Larro

PS: sorry so long.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Glad to catch up on all the posts and see many new faces: Welcome, this is a great group.

My 13yo son got a palate expander in his mouth last week at the orthodontist. It was a hard week and weekend. Things are looking up though each day gets a little easier. It was a way to get a diet plan going for the whole family as all he could eat was pretty much liquids/broth ect. Hard to cook or eat things he can't eat when he was in such misery.

Been trying to get back on a 3 day weight lifting program and feels great. Cardio in between but I am defiantly moving more than I have in awhile. YEAH! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,966 Member
    Options
    I walked today!

No lifting.

ZOOM!
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I think this is a group for me - 49 and juggling all of the things that are mentioned here - job, travel, kids (2 in college, 1 in elementary school). I am currently working a calorie deficit and doing cardio 3 days a week and lifting 2x a week. I had gone through a health resurgence about 15 years ago and then went up around 2-3 pounds each year -so, I am currently targeting 30-35 loss. I found this site last year through an e-mail at work - registered and then never got back on. So, I came back and am attempting to be relentless at logging (18 days straight). I'm learning a lot about my habits. But, I am in for the long haul. I'll have to check this thread often. Good Luck all!!
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running 3 days a week and doing T25 3 days a week. Today's T25 was Total Body Circuit and I felt great when I just finished. I didn't dread a second of it. Hopefully, I get to the point where I can run 3 days a week and T25 5 days a week.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    KellySue, sorry to hear about your husband. It must be really hard for you especially when it looks like you found the house you were looking for. I wish him a speedy recovery. Hugs for you!!!!

Sdereski, the reset diet sounds interesting. I had never heard about it. I am looking into the 21 day sugar detox. I need to work on my sugar addiction. It is definitely the devil and the more you eat the more you crave it!!! Today was a better day but I still ate some sweets, my co-workers fault but I succumbed to temptation. LOL

Caramel, you are so sweet!!! Best wishes on the challenge. I know you can win!!! I miss doing that this year with my Zumba students. Two years in a row I did a "Don't FALL for it challenge" get it? Every fall, early winter, we (include myself) tend to eat more and workout less due to all the temptations around and the colder temps and end up gaining 5-10lbs in 3 months. The goal was to at least maintain the weight and I would give the winner 6 months of free Zumba. I am quitting Dec 17 so I decided not to do the challenge this year. :( I am working on myself not to gain the weight but so far MAJOR FAIL!!!

Larro, thanks for the info. Glad to see I am not going crazy. LOL You are still doing awesome!!!

Hi to everyone else, gotta get ready for bed!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids, hope all of you had a great day. We had a 16 week get active challenge at work that started in the summer. 4 of us decided our team name would be "Team Fit". We finished the points required weeks ahead of schedule. As a result, our team was notified today that we are grand prize winners. I am elated to add one more thing to my checklist of accomplishments in 2014. Shout out to Hiyella who is part of our team at work but also on MFP. Of course, we are going to sign up for the 8 week holiday challenge and strategize to be victorious again. I can hardly contain myself I am so excited.

Welcome all newbies. We hope you stick around.

Beeps--No lifting today...I agree Zoom. Tomorrow maybe

Alf--I love sweets just like you. I do really well and then I count chocolate chips in my dreams and then I go bananas...lol

Kate--You know I had a mishap a couple of weeks back with underwear. Please shop before the undies drop to the floor :blush: . I am so happy that your weight is coming off so nicely. You are really doing great.

Ruby--Was wondering where you were. Glad you are ok.

Larro--Sorry to hear about the wasp and your back injury, but I find myself waiting to read your detailed stories. I love hearing them and the pictures never disappoint.

KellySue--I know things are stressful, yet you have come too far to turn back now.

SDERESKI--I know you will do well with your diet. Please keep us posted on how you are doing with it.

CG--What are you up to?

I worked with my PT today and of course she does not disappoint me whatsoever.

If I forgot anyone, please forgive me.

Have a great night everyone.

• Tljordan40
    Tljordan40 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a 44 year old mother of three young men. Looking forward to being part of the 40+ group.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Morning Kid's!
    Had a great workout yesterday. Did chest presses for the first time (one machine 15 lbs. 3 reps of 5, and another 25 lbs. 3 reps of 8) then I realized they targeted same muscles. Trainer said I should probably use the lay down version that was harder for me. Did a seated ( back) row type 15 lbs. 3 reps of 8, Seated row with chest support 25 lbs. 3 reps of 8, bicep curl 25 lbs. 3 reps of 8, lateral raises 25 lbs. 3 reps of 5, rotary 60 lbs. 2 reps per side of 10, atlantis knee raises 4 reps of 8, elliptical 45 mins, and treadmill 20 minutes. Trying new machines to work on upper body strength. Managed 10 push ups from my knees last night. If my hips touch the ground I'm a goner. LOL . I'll get there. I'm determined to be able to do push ups and make it across monkey bars again.
    Josie was a monster again yesterday after spending time with my mom and niece. May have to just start taking her back to the gym with me.
    Carmel- LOL maybe I'll ask Santa for some new undies.
    Alf- I often eat a serving of raisinets at night when I want something sweet. I used to eat the weight watchers smart one's desserts ( though got tired of them after a while) . The Russel Stover sugar free candy are pretty good too ( usually 2 of their pecan delights satisfies my cravings).
    Larro- Not sure I can stop at a serving of jello. LOL. I usually request one at the holidays made with cranberry jello, walnuts, apple chunks, and cranberries. I could about eat my weight of that one.
    Beeps- Your a rock star!
    Ruby- They wanted to put an expansion in my son's mouth several years ago. I just couldn't see putting him through that. He already battles severe exezma ( once receiving cortisone shots in his fingers due to the severity of it ), had a place removed from his scalp ( around age 4 ) , a bout of pneumonia, allergy induced asthma, migraines, stress headaches, and broken bones just to name a few. Luckily his teeth have turned out pretty well with the exception of one of his incisors. One of my cousins has Achondriaplasia a type of dwarfism and some of them do expansions to their legs and arms to appear taller I've watched a few documentaries on it. I hope your son does well with it.
    Anyway. Hello newbies!
    Sorry if I missed anyone. I'll check back later.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Turned 40 this year. Add me, fellow 40-somethings!!!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Friday morning! Hurray for Friday!! :relieved: I went and did some lifting today, and a little cardio just to get the blood flowing!! Please do not fear- I am not turning back away from all I have accomplished. I am keeping up with my workouts and doing the best I can with the diet part. At this point, I am at least maintaining, which I am OK with under the circumstances. I will get out and try to run tomorrow. I need the practice running in the colder weather. I am running a 5K on December 14th!!
    - Busy weekend as usual!- I am going to have dinner with my daughter and Jake tonight. My son-in-law is in South Carolina and we decided since we were both on our own that we should get together. Tomorrow is a food day, so to speak! Baby shower at 12:00 and then to my other son-in-law's house with his family. They are Italian and you don't get away without EATING!! Then a trip to Rochester to see my hubby. I may have to sneak him some food as he says the food is terrible there. He's lost about 20lbs over the last three and a half weeks!
    - I hope everyone has a great day and weekend!