WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Katla - you prompted me to google the Mediaeval German Longswords. I watched the Utube video. You fight two handed with them! ! ! No wonder he said he needs good protection! :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday here and my Rest and Re-feed day, but cals fine at 1768, also sodium fine at 1406.
    We go for a drive and walk the Beagle dog on Sundays, enjoy Sunday Brunch and roast dinners.
    I went back to training last week, first week of Jeannette's 6 week challenge and only gained 1 pound. Will see what scales, tape and BF% say tomorrow.
    Dietitian said to keep between 1600 and 1900 food calories. Doctor said walk for 1 hour every day and do the Challenge. Not allowed to run as yest so doing boxing tomorrow morning instead
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my favorite vitamin F pals. Just checking in; we are heading out to a nice dinner and then brother and sis in law will leave tomorrow and I hope things get back to normal.

Went to see DD and baby today. Tanya seems very depressed and overwhelmed and did not interact with the baby at all. She couldn't even remember what time to feed the baby next; the pediatrician put her on an every 3 hour schedule because she is sucking constantly...apparently her "real" milk hasn't come in yet so not many calories in it. I had to write it down for her. The baby had a dr appointment today and has lost too much weight. So she is being seen again Monday and if she has lost any more weight, she has to go in the hospital. Then they were talking about not waking the baby to eat; well if she's lost too much weight don't you think they should? She was having bad diarrhea while we were there so they were going to call the nurse line. Dalton's mother has been at work all day so I am hoping when she gets home if the baby looks worse than she did this morning, she'll make them take some action. It's hard to tell for me; I haven't seen her since Wednesday.

The services were very nice; I was presented the American flag after the gun salute and taps. That is always very moving to see. But I am glad this week is finally winding down.

OK must run; we have to get to the hotel to pick up brother and sister in law. Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is really windy!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ I have a suggestion~ I see the advertisment for Angies List on t.v, but that costs money.
    Home Advisor.com is free, and gives you names of contractors,plumbers, electricians etc...and reviews..sounds like your contractor is a dud, might as well check out Home Advisor cant hurt ..
    Meg~ so glad your dads service went well.. and so sorry to hear about your grandbaby,hopefully they step up to the plate..
    the young couple that moved in across the street had there second baby, a little girl,but she is up at the childrens hospital, they cant figure out what is wrong , but poor Sarah is nursing her so she is up there 2-3 times a day, and they have a 18 month old boy at home... they are both exsausted.. told them I have thursdays off and I could help with Jack if needed, think I will look for something to make them and take it over .a quick dinner they can heat up..
    between Tom and I we got the lawn taking care of, lawn furniture away, snow blower out,push mower away..
    yuck .. I dont like what comes next
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Went last night to hear Faure's Requiem at the Cathedral. Beautiful music in a gorgeous setting. The Cathedral choir sang with a small chamber orchestra plus two soloists. They have wonderful acoustics.

I have completed 28.43 miles of my 105 mile goal for November.

Tomorrow I sing at church, then there is a thank-you lunch for people who participate in the prayer shawl and quilting ministries. After that we are going to the community theatre to see Of Mice and Men. Going to be a busy day.

Meg - Glad service for your dad went well. Hope things look up with the baby. Know what you are saying about the wind. We have the same here in SD.

Leslie - Sounds like you are doing well and much happier.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    dstirratt wrote: »
    Tonight is a "Favorite Things" party for our church ladies. Everyone is bringing their favorite dessert. YIKES! My plan is to eat before I go and have a "dessert coffee" with sugar free vanilla syrup flavoring. I'm only 11 days into this so don't trust myself to take a bite and leave the rest. Hopefully I'll be there eventually!

Diana in Indiana

Diana, I don't ever have "one bite"...I stay away from all foods that I haven't planned for ahead of time and don't eat foods with little or no nutritional value. My friends know that I don't eat a potlucks and they are used to it.

:smile: Barbie

146200.png

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words about my reluctant tv appearance; I really don't see it happening again, but I know so much better what to expect if it does.

We were supposed to have a low of 45 last night.........it was 32 this am at 5am; usually they're not so far off. I got only one little tomato this am.

Made it late to yoga this am because my friend was running behind. Had breakfast with yoga friends then a good talk with another friend in her shop afterward. Then a lazy afternoon. DD did horses at the show barn early then lifeguarding until 5, now off to the mall with a friend from elementary school she recently reconnected with. DH put a nail through his finger while repairing a fence and called me to see if I thought he should go to dr???? Well, YES!!! He got tetanus shot and an antibiotic and is still not sure it was necessary.........SMH!!!

terri_mom.........Sounds like Kenny Rogers was in good form, given his diagnosis; going on tour is probably doing him a lot of good. I have a best buddy from way, way back (kindergarten!!) and we've lost touch for a few years now and then and never have a problem getting back to our "normal" when we do see each other. Closest thing to a sister I'll ever have.......even though we haven't even lived in the same state for most of those years.

Pat.......Hope the "MFP fix" worked........and you are NOT a pest!

Heather......DS1 must have tremendous upper body strength!!!! Is he the athletic trainer? Don't forget your yogurt!

Katla.....Fantastic new goals! Glad you had such a nice visit, even if exhausting. Is DH OK after his fall?

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hoff2002 ... I only saw a friendly, welcoming face in your profile pic.

Meg ... I was just at funeral for a friend who was a veteran... no one in the congregation had a dry eye after the flag ceremony. So sorry your granddaughter is struggling.

Did a lot of cooking today .... steel cut oats, breakfast sandwiches (with homemade msg/ nitrate free sausage and my first attempt at homemade English muffins) beef bone broth, and then pear bread! Whoa but quick breads are calorie bombs! A regular serving worked out to over 400 calories! The other things are for the freezer.

I'm always the last to buy things ... bought a refurbished Wii just recently and tried the Wii fit today. What a hoot! I liked it!

It's been an up and down week. But today all was well with my family and I stayed on track!

Beth

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I sure hope the baby bounces back. I can remember feeling overwhelmed when my baby came home. Can they supplement with formula? Glad the service was nice.

Alison, you have got to be the sweetest, most caring person I have ever known. To care so much for a neighbor, and to want to help, is something you don't see much of these days. A person would be very lucky to have you for a friend or neighbor. I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about my neighbors except the names of their dogs.

I just had to tell those of you on low salt diets. I stopped at the store on the way to the lake intending to get Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning for my pork chop. Instead I tried one from McCormick called Fiesta Citrus. It was really good. I liked it on my sweet potato too. It has really complex flavors and a little spicy kick. Two thumbs up! Apparently McCormick has several salt free varieties.

Spot is doing really well at the lake. We walked across the dam and he had a lot of fun watching the geese and sniffing everything. He even waded in the water at the boat ramp. He seems to take everything in stride, now that he's sure we are going to keep him. He seems to feel like he belongs anywhere that I am. He still sticks to me like glue. He's on my lap right now. At one point I had both Spot and Bruno on my lap. That's a lot of dog on my recently reduced lap!

Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

Why is 6 afraid of 7?

Because 7,8,9.

:D

Goodnight ladies!

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, and something funny. We didn't plan well for coming to the lake today. It's supposed to be 30 degrees tonight and hubby didn't bring any kind of jacket. I had a denim jacket in the van, so he wore that when we walked the dogs. It barely came down to his waist and the sleeves hit between his wrists and elbows! It's a big jacket that is left over from my 4x days, so it went all the way around his yummy, but just barely. It was hilarious! He's a big guy, and the jacket looked tiny.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Did my best this week to exercise while working around my non-standing restrictions. Went to PT twice and did about an hour's worth of table exercises and recumbent bike. At home, doing neck/shoulder/arm exercises. Sat on the couch and did an upper body workout on Youtube today. She used 10 lb weights--I used 1 lb weights, since that's all I have. It was a good workout for my arms!

19818185.png
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! I have been consistently on track with no screw ups for seven full days! I got a little close tonight because I made banana muffins (healthy ones) and they were good and I was hungry. I've been hungry all day for some reason. After messing up so much over the past six months, it is encouraging that I'm sticking to it again.

I got to take an outside walk today and decided to focus on distance instead of speed (my speed has been slow and it has frustrated me) and just enjoy what's left of the leaves and the good weather. I ended up walking 3.53 miles in 52 minutes--just short of 4 mph. I guess I need to focus on distance more often. :stuck_out_tongue:

Meg - I'm so sorry the grandbaby is having a hard time. I know you are trying to keep your distance and have so much on your plate right now, but is there any way you will be able to check on her again tomorrow? Why a 3-hour schedule? My kids naturally ate every 2-2 1/2 hours on breast milk and that is considered normal. Sorry! Babies are so precious and it hurts my heart to think that little one might actually be hungry.

I'm looking for a new afghan/lapghan/prayer shawl pattern and haven't found one I want to try yet. I have some beautiful blue yarn waiting to made into something!

I'll have another busy Sunday at church again tomorrow. When I finally get home late tomorrow afternoon, I have to write an analytical paper for my literature class. I need to do some heavy thinking about what I want this one to be about. Only one of the books this time was any good, to my thinking. It has so many topics to cover that it will be hard to pin down one to write about.

I guess I should be off to bed. I didn't sleep well last night--dreamed I was abandoned by my parents and, as a result, became homeless. Not sure I even want to think about the psychology behind that one!

Carol in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    njitaliana, it sounds like you have found some great ideas for working out within your restrictions..will you be able to buy heavier weights? I have heavier weights that I asked my hubby to buy me as a Valentine's Day gift a few years ago.

Meg, I'm sorry your new granddaughter is having a rough beginning to her life.....congrats to you for not racing over there and taking charge.

Carol in NC, congrats on not eating more muffins than you should have.

I have enjoyed my day alone doing yard work, riding the exercise bike and watching figure skating, walking the dogs, and going for a long walk with a good friend (she's the kind of friend who listens to the stories I like to tell in endless detail and I do the same for her)--a 90 minute walk goes very fast. Jake and I have communicated a lot---phone and text--but I've still had lots of time for myself.

Now the dogs and cat are in bed waiting for mecathug.gif

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 1433479le3q4a7az6.gif 2333672elrbd0zge7.gif
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Beth - Thanks! You are so sweet!

Meg - Glad your father's funeral went well. Funerals for veterans are so moving! So sorry to hear about the baby. Two of my daughters struggled in breastfeeding their babies. One was able to give some nourishment to the baby, but had to eventually supplement because she didn't have enough milk producation. The other's baby was getting lethargic so she had to give up and bottle feed. It's so hard to see your children and grandchildren hurting! I really hope the baby starts doing better soon. Will keep you and your family in prayer.

Joyce - Indiana- Oh my goodness. What a difficult time to go through. I'm so sorry! It has to be really frustrating!

Nitijaliana - I am so impressed with your determination to exercise! Congratulations on your determination.

skeuhn48 - I love to listen to requiem music as well. It's just so beautiful.

My DD cooked dinner tonight...chicken and sausage gumbo! I managed to eat just meat and no rice! Yay!

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! Saying a prayer for each of you ... praying that God will bless each of you and hold you in the palm of his hand. For those of you who are struggling, I pray that He will give you the strength and courage you need. For those of you who are doing well, I pray prayers of thanksgiving!

Barb from South Louisiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Janemartin – thinking of you

Barb in LA – sounds like you and I have the same weather!

Heather – yeah!!! On the birthday venue!!! I know NOTHING about longswords, but protection sounds critical!

Pat – you only need an appt in 2 years? Or they are booked for 2 years?

Alison – I am an AARP member and am reading the November issue of the AARP Bulletin and there is an interesting article about stress, and it’s reaction on the body, hard to lose weight, sleep issues… anyway it reminded me of some of the things you are dealing with, might be worth a read.

Hoff2002 – I weigh most everyday, but only “count” once a week, and I like Friday, as often the weekend has more opportunities to make silly choices, so by Friday am I am in the best spot I’ll be all week.

Meg - glad things went well for Dad’s service, sending good thoughts to Grand baby and family

Beth – I have shaved some of the calories out of quick breads by replacing ½ of the fat with non-fat yogurt….

Njitaliana – Great job on a work around exercise!!! 984406ju1tuish9n.gif

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

• genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just caught up with all the messages.

DeeDee, yes I'm still making lace. Earlier this year I got my certificate for the elementary level of The Lace Guild Torchon Assessment, and I am now working on the Intermediate and Advanced levels. Currently doing the compulsory part then I'll work on the design stuff.

Wish I could, like others, not nibble in the evening. I eat supper and feel full but then think I need something more. Think is the operative word because I really don't NEED anything else.

Oh well I'll see what the damage is on Monday morning.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sansone's Burn Body Fat DVD.

Diana - I like that idea of a "favorite things" party. Good plan!

Loki just came up to me and evidentally he got poop all over his backside so we had to wash it off. He was not at all happy about it. I have a big cut on my arm to show it and it looks like he put a hole in my shirt. Boo...this was one of my fav ones, too Guess after I wash it I'll put it in the donation box. The hole is only a very very small one, from his nails.

hoff - *I* think you look fabulous

Terri - JUST a 170 average!!!! JUST you say? I'm happy when I break 100. Congrats to your son. Sounds like you had a great time at the concert.

Joyce - I just hate what's happening to you with the contractors. No one deserves that treatment. I hate it when it happens to me, too.

Sylvia - your hubby knows a good thing when he sees it

Meg - I remember when I was presented with the flag for my father. It IS very very moving. My heart breaks for the baby. She's so lucky to have you in her corner

Ken & Lynette came over for dinner tonight. I made a pork shoulder, had rice (brown), steamed veges (made carrots for Vince), salad and made those apple cookies for Ken and the chocolate muffins for Vince & Lynette. I tried, I really did try, to have just grapes for dessert. But a few of those apple cookies sneaked in there.

I went to weave in the ends from the blanket I made for my girlfriend in Switzerland and, I have no idea how this happened, it came out looking funny when I laid the whole thing on the floor. Guess I should make her another one. Just what I need -- another project.

A friend is going to come over tomorrow and we're going to watch the new episodes of Downtown Abbey. I want to start on the new blanket so I can work on it while we're watching TV. I need to do the first row or two on my own, tho. I made some black bean pumpkin chili so I'll offer her some.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Didn't get things accomplished that I wanted to but other tings went real well. Michelle ate supper with us tonight. I'm glad that she eats on Saturday night, that way Charlie doesn't fret if she hasn't told us by Sunday afternoon when she is coming. Boyfriend has to work one Saturday a month, roommate was with his kids tonight so she had the house to herself and the dogs. So she had free time to help us do some cleaning in case we did have the time and money to get any remodeling in our bathroom downstairs. Boy is that woman a worker. She said she had plenty experience being on the receiving end of coming home from school and her room being cleaned out by me without her input so she was doing it to me. So the bathroom which was just used for storage and the area under the stairs which is right across from the bathroom where we store luggage was a mess since the doors are closed. Well she opened those doors and purged. Poor Charlie. He is just sure one day we may need some of those things. He walks slow, a little lethargic and hunched over now with his Parkinson's and he wants to keep his 16 pound bowling ball and shoes????? I doubt the doctor would even suggest he bowl now for fear of him falling. He just kind of walked around in a daze. We had a closet full of suitcases going back to the days when we were newlyweds. Donate them Joyce!!!! But he was sure some one in our family would need them. Sorry Charlie, We just went on a 6 day vacation with the family and no one needed suitcases. Let some one else use them. So the bathroom and room under the stairs are cleaned and organized. Now they need a good floor cleaning. He did a very amatuerish job many years ago on the commode stopping it up. He jammed a ball down in the trap, put towels in the bowl and then a pillow on top right under the seat!!! Looks very comical but it has worked for many years. But I want a plumber to unstop all that and let it be used! And the water shut off is accessed through the area under the stairs so now at elast some one can try to get to it. Of course you have to be thin to do that.

Allison, that is a great idea for me to leave a review on that site. I hate to. He was a deacon in my formal church, he is in his 70's and still president of his company and they usually do good work. But my husband had a bad taste of him when we were newlyweds and he was contracted to do some work for us and the job ended up more than estimated and we had to pay more. Charlie said he should have honored the estimate. That is why it is called an estimate and when you are working on a 70 year old home work is often more than what the estimate it. I just love your giving spirit. Anyone lucky enough to have you as a friend is a very lucky person.

Meg, I am so so sorry your grand daughter is having problems. I know this is exactly the kind of worries you had when you found out she was keeping the baby. Prayers are will all of you. I tried to nurse Christina and soon found out about 7 days in that she was not thriving on my milk and switched to formula.

Diana, as preachers wife, are they expecting you to partake in the food? I know my Mom would have been. Tongues would have been wagging if Mom didn't eat or at least try a lot of things. Good luck

Joyce, Indiana. Tired already and have to get up for church. I WILL not miss choir tomorrow. We are singing a favorite song. It's one of those kind that after you ing it, the pastor can just forget about preaching. all the preaching has been done in a wonderful song
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California - I think Friday or Saturday will be my "weigh in day."

genealace - I'd love to see pictures of the lace you make. You are so talented.

Michele in NC -You are absolutely too kind! Thank you! Do you crochet or knit? Your friend is so lucky to have you make a blanket for them. Have fun watching Downtown Abbey. Someone once told me it was very good. By the way, what is black bean pumpkin chili? I don't think I've ever heard of that? How do you make it?

jmkmomm - Michelle sounds like a wonderful daughter. Sing with your heart tomorrow in choir. I love singing!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Barb from Louisiana
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    hoff2002 wrote: »
    Kim from N. California - I think Friday or Saturday will be my "weigh in day."

genealace - I'd love to see pictures of the lace you make. You are so talented.

Michele in NC -You are absolutely too kind! Thank you! Do you crochet or knit? Your friend is so lucky to have you make a blanket for them. Have fun watching Downtown Abbey. Someone once told me it was very good. By the way, what is black bean pumpkin chili? I don't think I've ever heard of that? How do you make it?

jmkmomm - Michelle sounds like a wonderful daughter. Sing with your heart tomorrow in choir. I love singing!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Barb from Louisiana