Opinion: why do men feel the need to offer advice to me in the weight room?

Replies

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    raysputin wrote: »
    You would have to agree that a woman in the weight area is not as common as a man in the weight area. Rightly or wrongly, most men feel protective towards women and will feel some motivation to assist if they think the lady is in some way disadavntaged such as being in an unfamiliar environment. This comes from thousands of years of social conditioning and is not going to go away overnight because some pressure group declares it to be contemporaneously invalid.

I know that if I offered you any unsolicited advice it would be a clumsy attempt to offer encouragement or an attempt to correct something that will improve your experience or perhaps prevent a possible injury. I certainly would not be trying to hit on you. I think that most men would be in the "trying to be helpful" category. Most of us are good guys - really!

At the same time, there may be some men who are trying to hit on you. I am sure that you are mature enough to tell the difference - adjust your response to suit.

I have no problem with admitting that I'm in the minority in the weight section.

But - despite my initial reservations the men that frequent the weight section have accepted me.

They have not taken turns to hit on me. I leave them to work out - they leave me to do the same.

I'm not having a go at you - I like your response. I picked on yours because I could respond sensibly, rather than unleashing a ton of whoop *kitten* on some of the others! But the few responses before made it sound like "you're picking up heavy stuff - that's man world - expect to get hit on"!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    TBH, I find advice like change what you're wearing, wear headphones, smile and thank them, it's no big deal, etc. to be a bit disingenuous.

The OP obviously feels uncomfortable enough with this unwanted attention to post about it here. Whether or not you think you'd feel the same way, the point is, she does. And the onus shouldn't be on her to change her behaviour to discourage these men. The onus is on the men who are bugging her to stop.

Unwanted attention: Not cool, bro.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    TBH, I find advice like change what you're wearing, wear headphones, smile and thank them, it's no big deal, etc. to be a bit disingenuous.

The OP obviously feels uncomfortable enough with this unwanted attention to post about it here. Whether or not you think you'd feel the same way, the point is, she does. And the onus shouldn't be on her to change her behaviour to discourage these men. The onus is on the men who are bugging her to stop.

Unwanted attention: Not cool, bro.

I want a like button so much right now!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    but unless she tells each and every one of the guys, hey leave me alone, they aren't going to know that it's unwanted attention.

It sounds like they are genuinely trying to be nice, not a creep.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Cool a variety of responses! It doesn't bother me so much that I would change anything about my routine but I can't tell if they have motives or are just genuinely offering advice. Either way doesn't matter. I can hold my own and maybe will try offering them some advice haha. My thought is that if they are so free to offer advice why is it only directed towards me(the lone woman!!)I work with a trainer once a week to learn new stuff, check form etc.

I do wear earbuds which actually makes it more annoying because even if I ignore them the first time they try to get my attention till I take them out. Kind of comical actually.

Thanks for responding!
  • veganbettie
    now that would be really annoying. Earbuds are normally a sign of leave me the f alone... to men AND women....

Well. The more you're there, hopefully the more they will realize that you're serious about it and that you really don't need their help, nor are you interested (if that's their motive...) AND you're helping future women hopefully not have to go through that...normalize it you know?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    but unless she tells each and every one of the guys, hey leave me alone, they aren't going to know that it's unwanted attention.

It's possible, yeah. But from what she described -- just going about her business in a weight room, showing no signs of wanting the attention, being talked to repeatedly even when she ignores them the first time -- it sounds very much like behaviour that crosses the line.

Really, a good gym should foster a better environment than that.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Some guys just think they know everything and like to let others know it. I totally agree.. let me do my thing and just leave me alone. Especially if I didn't ask you first.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

Riiigggghhhttt because she should have to go up to each and every man in the gym and tell them to leave her alone. If someone's wearing earbuds in the gym I'm pretty sure that it's a signal that they're not interested in conversation.
  • CFLSports
    CFLSports Posts: 3 Member
    I don't offer advice to anyone unless I feel they are doing something that will get them injured. However, I do talk to just about everyone, or just waive to the ones with ear-buds. I will however ask someone who is doing a lot of weight if they want a spot, because I have been guilty of being too proud to ask for a spot myself. If someone is bothering you by interrupting your workout, be honest with them and let them know. Some may just trying to be friendly as the gym may be their only outlet to meet people outside of work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    A guy corrected my form once and I snapped at him a little. I thought it was annoying. But the next time I saw him I introduced myself because, I'm not a mean person, he just caught me off guard. Then he asked me out on a date. So, maybe they want to date you.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Honestly I get it too, and in my gym, there aren't women watching men so it's just the men watching the women in the weights area. It's not ok, it's called objectification. Men don't like it when we give them advice (I am generalizing here), so why should we get given unasked for advice and be stared at like meat? The more women brush that behaviour off, the less it will change. I say tell them to stop staring and that you will ask if you feel like you need help. Stand up for yourself. Some of them might find it 'bitchy' but if the shoe was on the other foot...
  • veganbettie
    edited November 2014
    segacs wrote: »

It's possible, yeah. But from what she described -- just going about her business in a weight room, showing no signs of wanting the attention, being talked to repeatedly even when she ignores them the first time -- it sounds very much like behaviour that crosses the line.

Really, a good gym should foster a better environment than that.

I get you, and I agree. Especially considering after her last comment she is wearing earbuds, she didn't feel threatened or anything so, I don't think it was anything other than being nice.

I'm really digging this movement that has women sticking up for themselves. Saying to no cat calling and what not, i've been doing that kind of stuff since I was a kid myself...but it does make me think a little bit more...

one has to wonder though, we are putting all these restrictions on men to not talk to us,
    don't look at her, don't smile at her, don't say hi to her, be friendly, but not OVERLY friendly... i'm starting to really feel bad for the nice guys that are just interested in a girl. I mean...If you're single, and ya, you're going to the gym to work out, not necessarily pick up on a man or woman, but if you're single and into fitness the gym is sort of the perfect place to find a like minded person...but if you can't even talk to someone without the fear of people calling you a jerk for saying hi or trying to help you on your form? I mean.... I don't know, it's a fine line....and it's hard for me to explain, and i'm sure i'm going to get flamed here. Obviously if someone is showing signs of not being interested they should be left alone, but you don't necessarily always know that someone isn't interested until you try.
  • veganbettie
    edited November 2014
    gmallan wrote: »

Riiigggghhhttt because she should have to go up to each and every man in the gym and tell them to leave her alone. If someone's wearing earbuds in the gym I'm pretty sure that it's a signal that they're not interested in conversation.

She didn't say she was wearing earbuds until her last post. So... And i'm not saying that she should have to do that. My comment was in response to another person's comment.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Is the advice good advice or is it just disingenuous attempts at conversation? I think this is important in deciding a way to handle the situation. I have had 1 person ever comment on my lifting at my gym. He did it one time and has never said anything ever again after that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    probably terrible form ….
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Yea you're probably right ndj1979. I'll just put my best resting *kitten* face on, play Taylor Swift in repeat and keep using up the valuable oxygen in the weight area. see ya there :p
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    I had a guy tell me I was cycling 'wrong' last week. He then changed my programme from 'stamina' to 'fat loss'. Was pretty upset about that!

O...M...G!! :o If someone did that to me, that would be the last time he'd have the cajones to come within about 10 feet of me ever again. I work in a male-dominated job and have no problem backing them down when they get too big for their britches. Wouldn't have even had to raise my voice. Some of them need to be put in their place when they decide they want to "help the little woman" who surely doesn't know what she's doing.

btw...I just read that to one of the guys I work with and he started laughing about the idea of some strange man in the gym doing that to me or any of our female co-workers.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    catb58 wrote: »
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    I had a guy tell me I was cycling 'wrong' last week. He then changed my programme from 'stamina' to 'fat loss'. Was pretty upset about that!

O...M...G!! :o If someone did that to me, that would be the last time he'd have the cajones to come within about 10 feet of me ever again. I work in a male-dominated job and have no problem backing them down when they get too big for their britches. Wouldn't have even had to raise my voice. Some of them need to be put in their place when they decide they want to "help the little woman" who surely doesn't know what she's doing.

btw...I just read that to one of the guys I work with and he started laughing about the idea of some strange man in the gym doing that to me or any of our female co-workers.

I was going to say the same. That's way worse than someone watching or correcting form. He actually CHANGED your program. Doofus.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Make "help me I'm a helpless useless woman" appointments.
    For the next two weeks everytime a guy offers to help you in a way that is not spotting and immediately useful tell him your in a big rush today but next friday you have a bigger time slot to workout and can you guys talk then?

1) if you truly do know what you are doing this gives them several workouts to observe you in your natural habitat and conclude you don't actually need help and are indeed a badass and not show up on Friday.

2) if they observe things they truly think you need help on... ALL OF THEM will be standing around you on Friday ready to offer their advice IN FRONT of one another and so they will have to choose their words wisely, really beleive in what they are saying, edit themselves due to time constraints, choose only their best ideas...and of course naturally some will disagree. When they begin to disagree you slink out of the gym during any heated part of the discussion and the next time you see them they will be so butt sore from you ditching them and all the "Drama" you created that they will be more inclined to ignore you.

I think a Taser would be more efficient and require much less organization.