Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Had a successful day, but really missed being able to walk in the morning with DH and Anya. It snowed till about 2. I pulled out a DVD that has a beginning level workout and did that. I really don't like it. I hate doing stuff that makes me feel awkward and stupid. I think it's going to be a long winter. Cathy and I did walk after school. There was a lot of snow, but most of the sidewalks had been cleaned so it was good.
    Karen, good job with the downward trend. I'm seeing one, too. I just wish it would go faster.
    I have a very old phone with a qwerty keyboard. I mostly use it for texting. I about panicked today when it quit working. I really don't want a more complicated one. DS was able to start it by just taking out the battery and putting it in again. Love having such easy access to an IT person.
    Have a great weekend.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • SassenachJones
    SassenachJones Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all, is it still okay for new people to join this?
  • marjorieallred839
    Options
    So Saturday
    I tried to join a team on my work maintain challenge for the holidays and found myself in charge of a team instead! Weighed in and I have lost 20 lbs so far.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Welcome, SassenachJones! Check out page one for suggestions and an idea of how the group works. We're here to support and encourage one another. :smile:

MountMary- I thought I saw that you were living in the Fox Valley or nearby...if you're looking for new shoes, you might want to consider getting fitted, even for walking shoes. I like Fleet Feet on College Ave in Appleton. They will watch you walk, measure your feet and give you advice on what to look for when shopping for shoes. You don't have to buy your shoes there if you don't want to. I buy there and love mine.

Kah(Kelly)- Mice!!! Eeeeeeek! Ick! Here's a mouse story for you:
    A couple weeks ago, I was at work. It was about 4:30 pm, and my coworker was leaving for the day. She said good-bye and walked out the back door, which is right next to our lab. Two seconds later, I heard a blood-curdling scream, and saw her and her red hair fly past the lab door and down the hall. I went into the hall to find that she had jumped up onto a bench and was half-crying/half-laughing. She told me that when she went out the back door, a mouse tried to come inside! I laughed at her, and then we went together and she showed me where it had run off. It had carved a small hole in the brick on the outside of our building and we could see its little furry behind and long pink tail inside! We stood side by side and tried opening the back door....it ran out of its hole and right for us! We slammed the door shut and ran back inside the clinic. After we realized that our screams had scared the mouse away from its hole and around the corner, she decided to make a break for it and literally ran all the way out to the parking lot. Meanwhile, I called maintenance and left a barely coherent message requesting the removal of the mouse. Then, I walked across the hall to the rheumatology department and warned the entire department that there was a mouse by the back door, caring not that my irrational fear was making me sound like a crazed idiot. Luckily, I had a patient show up and my door-to-door mouse warnings had to stop while I took care of my patient. When it was time for me to leave, I found the furry "friend" was scurrying about all over the back sidewalk. I went to a different exit when I left that night! I am now the butt of many a mouse joke at work, but I have no regrets. Those things are terrifying. Maintenance acted fast and got a professional exterminator to come set some pretty heavy-duty looking traps and plugged the mouse hole with steel wool. I haven't seen the mouse since. Phew!

Kaye-Amen to the fact that "diets" don't last! They might be a good way to inspire and jump-start someone into thinking more about what they're eating, but you definitely need to address WHY you're eating. And you have to address it every day. For the rest of your life. There are no quick fixes. This kid's still learning that. :wink:

Saturday Success: I went for another cold jog this morning, and passed on doughnuts at a retreat this morning!

November Challenge:
    1. check thread daily: 5/22
    2. complete diary daily: 3/22
    3. exercise 3 days/week: 3/9
    4. Run 12 miles: 2.3
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy I Love To Write Day.
    Celebrate I Love To Write Day!
    Please help spread the word about I Love To Write Day!
    Founded in 2002 by Delaware Author and Ghostwriter, John Riddle, I Love To Write Day is now celebrated in over 30,000 schools all across the United States.
    Libraries, bookstores, writing groups, community centers and even a few malls join in the fun every November 15.
    “When people become stronger writers, they become better communicators, and everyone wins!”
    12th Anniversary of I Love To Write Day Will Take Place On November 15
    People of all ages will celebrate I Love To Write Day on November 15. Founded in 2002 by Delaware author John Riddle, I Love To Write Day is now celebrated in over 30,000 schools all across the United States. Bookstores, libraries, community centers and everyday people also join in the fun.
    “My goal for I Love To Write Day is to have people of all ages spend time writing,” says John Riddle, Founder. “They can write a poem, a love letter, a greeting card, an essay, a short story, start a novel, finish a novel…the possibilities are endless. But I want people to take the time to put their thoughts down on paper. They will be amazed at the results. Writing can be fun, but also challenging. People need to be challenged, and writing is but one of many creative ways to express yourself. I am very excited because I Love To Write Day activities are already being planned all across the United States. When people become stronger writers, they become better communicators, and everyone wins.”

I love to write day

“When you blame others, you give up your power to change.” ~Dr. Robert Anthony

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tom--I celebrate that day pretty much every day of the school year. :smile:

@amanda--loved the mouse story. Our mice are actually inside our offices, but I've been fortunate to miss all of the face to face encounters.

@marjorie--great job reacing the 20 lbs lost milestone!!

@sassy--that's my nickname for you, so you are officially a member of the group. ;)

@kaye--I finally made the switch to a smartphone this summer. I was resistant, but I honestly don't miss my old slide phone.

@laurie--great job with the increased exercise. I can't get to the gym more often so I'm trying to just increase my mileage when I do get there.

Saturday Success:
    Well, I made it through the last P/T conference night without going over calories. At the bar a couple of friends ordered hot wings. I was really hungry, but they didn't smell appealing at all. I then drove a friend home and she lives right next to a Taco Bell. I was tempted to stop but forced myself to just drive home where I ate some fish and a salad as my late night snack.

Yesterday, a friend sent out an email that there was leftover pie in the office. I resisted that as well and had a few dark chocolate kisses instead. I have dinner at a friend's tonight, but she and her husband are generally healthy cooks. I know we are having pork tacos and though there may be some higher calorie appetizers and dessert, I will practice portion control so I still come in under calorie allowance for the day.

Doing some grading and now I need to head to the gym.

November All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 12/14 days (goal is 27/30 days)
    Workout: 3/14 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k on Thanksgiving Day in 57 minutes

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/66 AP journals
    2. 25/60 M1948 Vocab

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--rest day P/T conferences
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym ON MY WAY NOW
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Hansea~LOL, that would be me--running around screaming like a child. I set some traps in my attic yesterday but haven't gone up there today to see if I caught anything. I'm afraid to! :blush:

Got my workout in early today, then had a yummy mocha post-workout smoothie in the cafe there. Also met with dietitian at my gym to set up repeat resting metabolic assessment (next Saturday). Now finishing up grocery list, need to get that done along with some other running around.

November "all-in" Challenge:

At or under calories: 13/30
    Meet exercise goals: 14/30

Exercise Goals 11/9-11/15:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Rest Day (chiro) DONE!
    Tuesday~Trainer DONE!
    Wednesday~Rest Day (chiro) DONE!
    Thursday~Trainer DONE!
    Friday~Yoga (or HH) NOT DONE
    Saturday~Cardio DONE!
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am just doing a quick check in. Life and work has once again been super busy. My weight however is down and I'm working hard at keeping that way. Although, with Thanksgiving and Christmas parties coming up it's going to be hard.

I'm off to catch up on posts and all of your lives!! :D
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Quick question? Is there any place on myfitnesspal that you can figure out the percentage of fat in a food. Also when you are entering your food choices for the day and a number comes up, that is grams of calories, calories, or grams. I know that protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram, but if an item says 20 under carbs that would calculate to 20 x 4 or 80 calories, correct. But how can you find the percentages for fat, protein, and carbs.
    Also still have no clue how to respond on the site to each individual person so it shows up on my post. If I click on the persons name it goes to private message and sends it directly to them and does not show up. What do I click to get the results I want. Thanks. Everyone else seems to be doing it. Also how to get your lbs to lose graph on your post too.....that is so cheering.
  • hansea47
    Options
    soosun- I think people are just typing an "@" in front of people's screen names and the new format was highlighting it like it was a link. ie: @soosun
    To get your ticker with the lbs to lose or lbs lost, you need to copy and paste the link to your ticker every time you post. If you go to the MFP home page, click on "Apps" and then "Ticker" and you will come to the page with directions for how to post your ticker to the forums.
    I don't know of a place on MFP to determine fat percentage for individual foods, but I know when I use my smartphone and go to "Nutrition", it will give you a pie chart of the amount of carbs vs fat vs protein you are at so far for the day. You can also see the pie chart for the week.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Well it was a lack luster day in what I accomplished. No exercise today due to a birthday party for my niece, hard to believe she is 1 year old. I did manage to get the papers graded today.

Tomorrow I will hit the gym and maybe rake leaves in the morning.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    "Lack luster" is a good way to describe my food day, too. I just kind of broke even. We did shampoo some carpet today, and Cathy and I went for a walk. It was slick and I fell about 2 blocks from home after I had dropped Cathy off. I did kind of a face plant, but didn't get hurt. I panicked for a minute because I wasn't sure my knees would support my weight so I could stand up, but it worked fine.
    It was ironic that after all this talk of mice DH found a dead one in the hall outside our bedroom door this morning. We live where we are surrounded by fields and we nearly always see 1or 2 when the weather gets cold. The good thing is that I don't have to worry about cats getting the mice so I use warfarin. I rarely see a live one. When I was a teenager, I saw one coming over the belt on a potato harvester. I screamed and Daddy immediately stopped the machine. I learned very quickly that you don't scream if you're not hurt. I have never screamed at the sight of a mouse since.
    My 'all-in' challenge report: 13/15 days under calories, 1/15 even calories, 1/15 over calories, 77.4 miles to date, still just fair on water.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Soosun~As Hansea said, I just typed "@Soosun" in my response, there isn't a magical way to respond. There isn't a tool on the MFP site for figuring out the percentage of fat in a food, but you can figure it out manually. By looking at the nutrition label on the package take the the serving in grams (i.e. 28 grams) and divide it by the amount of fat (i.e. 3g). The calculation needs to be grams to grams. So 28/3 = 9.3% fat. Is that what you're looking for? Sometimes this info is already listed on a label. If you are looking for a way to see how much of your daily diet comprises the macros carbs/fat/protein, there is a pie chart on the phone app.

@Kaye~I have a cat, I'm praying that if there are mice in my attic they don't find their way into my house for Zoe to hunt and place before my feet! Eeek...

@Laurie~Sometimes we need those days, your body may have needed some rest. Hard to believe your niece is a year-old, time flies!

I checked the mouse traps from the attic stairs last night, so far no mice--need to get brave and check more closely later today. :wink: Need to get moving, I'll try and stop by later tonight to catch up with the November Challenge.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@kaye--so glad you weren't hurt when you fell! We just had our first real snow last night. It's pretty much all melted now except for a light dusting on the grass.

@laurie--wow is right about your niece being a year old--I remember when she was born!

@soosun--I was going to say what amanda and kelley said. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

@teresa--awesome that the scale is going down. The holidays are always tough, but we can hang tough and get through them together!!

Sunday Share:
    My friends have moved back to town from Switzerland, so last night there was a welcome back dinner. I went over on calories due to alcohol and dessert. I didn't gorge myself or anything, but it all added up as we know it does. So now I've used my 3rd of 3 allowed "over" days. Thanksgiving is going to be rough. :(

I've scheduled the gym for today, but I have a LOT of grading to finish, so it is second on my priority list. Getting some laundry done right now, and them I'm off to starbucks.

November All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 12/15 days (goal is 27/30 days)
    Workout: 4/15 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k on Thanksgiving Day in 57 minutes

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/66 AP journals
    2. 25/60 M1948 Vocab

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner + gym
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• soosun
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info. I will follow the directions too get where I need to go.
    I solved the fat per centage question; I want to keep my fats at 30 percent for my weight loss goals so I figured out how many calories I want to consume per day, took 30 per cent of that amount, then divided the fat grams into the 30 per cent amount then divided by 9 as a gram of fat has 9 calories and came up with 45 grams of fat per day. As I enter the foods it does all the math and I can see where I am with regards to how many fat grams I have left for the day. Easy peasy and thank you very much.
    Have been traveling for the last three weeks and finally have landed back home. Nice to be back into a pattern for food exercise etc.
  • soosun
    Options
    Tried to enter the ticker but not sure it was added. posting to see if it comes up?
  • soosun
    Options
    It is saying it will show under all forum posts but it isn't doing it. My daughter even is trying but no go! Darn!
  • hansea47
    Options
    We got about half an inch of snow last night, so I went for my first snow-run of the year this morning. When I got home, I brushed off the cars and shoveled. Welcome Winter and your built-in cardio/strength-training snowstorms. :wink:

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the "Lack Luster".
    Went way over on calories yesterday. Back in the saddle today. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Today was constipation. Not easy for me to deal with.

No workouts for the last two days as well. Back to the gym today. I was well into the spin class and realzed I forgot my inhaler. Good thing I had one in the car.

Hubby worked in pest control for a couple of years so I never see mice. He sets traps outside so they ususally do not make it into the house, although my son did find one in his underwear drawer a couple of months ago.

I stopped at 2nd Wind today to look at buying a cardio machine for at home. The Cybex Arc Trainer I was drooling over is almost 3K. Not going to happen unless I get a huge windfall. I may have to settle for an elliptical. Do any of you have machines at home? Any comments would be welcome.

With it getting dark so early I just want to be home when 5PM hits.

November All-In Challenge: Food 13/15, Fitness 13/15
    Lori
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen I hope you finished the grading and made it to the gym today. I ended up grading last night for a couple of hours so the kids will get their test back. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving break even if it means a day of parent conferences.

Soosun-I am not sure if the they have the ticker issue fixed yet. The last I read they still needed to fix it so it appears on forum posts.

Cblue- I am with you when it comes to getting home at 5 when it is dark outside. Needless to say, I must go to the gym after work or I won't go back out.

Today, I managed to accomplished many household tasks so I active most of the day. Laundry is done, gym workout accomplished, grocery store, leaves raked and then had my nails done. The nails were the highlight of my day. The weather is suppose to turn cold on Tuesday and it will be raining all day tomorrow. I hope we don't get snow yet, it is too early for it to start. For those of you who have snow, I hope it melts quickly and you stay safe.

This week I plan to
    Monday-gym
    Tuesday- rest
    Wednesday- gym
    Thursday-gym
    Friday-rock climbing
    Saturday- swimming
    Sunday- gym

Have a great week.