Dating age difference

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
Friend and I were having this debate and I was surprised at how much our opinions differed...

How much older or younger than you would someone have to be for you to consider them un-dateable?

I'm female, 25 and I wouldn't really have much interest in dating anyone younger than me but as far as older...I think 36-37 would be the limit that way.

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    I think that if there is mutual attraction and common interests between two adults there should be no age requirement and it is nobody else's business as long as no one is being used or taken advantage of!
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Friend and I were having this debate and I was surprised at how much our opinions differed...

How much older or younger than you would someone have to be for you to consider them un-dateable?

I'm female, 25 and I wouldn't really have much interest in dating anyone younger than me but as far as older...I think 36-37 would be the limit that way.

That means I'm out of the race! : (

This is age shaming. OP reported.

• kshadows
    Options
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with an age difference! My friend who was talking with me about it said he wouldn't date anyone more than 5 years older than him and I thought that was a little weird.

And SGM - I'm sorry you feel that way. I wasn't shaming anybody. For the record, I'm already married or I'd totally take you on a date to make you feel better. I was just curious if it had so much bearing with others.
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think that if there is mutual attraction and common interests between two adults there should be no age requirement and it is nobody else's business as long as no one is being used or taken advantage of!

I agree 100%
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with an age difference! My friend who was talking with me about it said he wouldn't date anyone more than 5 years older than him and I thought that was a little weird.

And SGM - I'm sorry you feel that way. I wasn't shaming anybody. For the record, I'm already married or I'd totally take you on a date to make you feel better. I was just curious if it had so much bearing with others.

So now you're giving me a pity date? Well now, aren't you just a smooth seductress

; )

Just messing with you. You may proceed, my job here is done.

• kshadows
    Options
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »

So now you're giving me a pity date? Well now, aren't you just a smooth seductress

; )

Just messing with you. You may proceed, my job here is done.

I'm really not...I'm incredibly socially awkward, especially with such attractive gentlemen as yourself. :p
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I've gone +20 years in either direction. If there is mutual attraction, age (like weight) is just a number.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I had a range. I think it was 5 younger to 10 older.

My husband is 12 years younger.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It would depend on their maturity level, common interests, goals and attraction. I am 32 and normally do not like younger than me. Unless my first sentence applies. I would probably never go younger than 28 though. I mean well unless its a bootycall ;)
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 I went out with a 37 year old. The father of my children is 10 years older. He didn't look his age. It really depends on the person. I don't know if I could do more than, a couple of years younger.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    It would depend on their maturity level, common interests, goals and attraction. I am 32 and normally do not like younger than me. Unless my first sentence applies. I would probably never go younger than 28 though. I mean well unless its a bootycall ;)

Oh, yeah, I meant to add that my younger husband is the most emotionally mature man I know and he has a handful of "old fuddy duddy" tendencies.
  • kshadows
    Options
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.

Why does 19 and 30 sound more acceptable...or 21 and 32, but not 17 and 28? It's still the same age difference.

• Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    im 34, I don't think I would go over 50 and not under 25. However who knows..sometimes attraction is undeniable!
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I dated someone younger then me and that turn out to be a hug mistake. . Lets see I'm 32 so i prefer my man to be in his mid or late 30's
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I am 2.5 years older than my husband. I think 10 years would be a limit if I was single.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on your age. When you're younger, a five year age difference can be rather substantial. When you're older, not so much.
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The youngest I’ve dated is 3 years younger than me and the oldest is 10 years older than me.
    I´m 29 and my rules are: not younger than my brother, he is 25 and not older than my dad he is 51.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Personally, my age max always was a man 10 years older than me. Never younger. And I ended up with someone 6 years older than me. :smile: