Diet Soda

Options
Okay so I know diet soda isn't the best for you. I hear it causes weight gain and stomach fat and the artificial sweeteners aren't good for you. I drink Sparkling Ice everyday ( a carbonated flavored water made with splenda), at most 2 bottles. Is this just as bad as diet soda (such as diet dr. pepper). Does it really cause weight gain and excess stomach fat because of the artificial sweeteners? I'm by no means trying to loose weight. I'm at a perfectly healthy weight I was just wondering.

Replies

• bowenks
    bowenks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not cause weight gain.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    No.
  • bowenks
    bowenks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why do people say it causes weight gain?
  • gillman_chatsworth
    Options
    If it has 0 calories, then it will not cause weight gain, it has 0 calories. People say that diet soda causes weight gain because it supposedly makes you crave things that don't have 0 calories...
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html
    There is no evidence that diet soda inhibits fat loss, or that it even spikes insulin levels to levels that would be detrimental to health.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    the risk is that the sweet taste (which for artificial sweeteners is much more than actual sugar) makes your body expect to receive calories. when it doesn't, it makes you crave food. You might have an urge to binge. If you don't binge, you don't gain weight. Problem solved. (This is the theory that some use to explain the potential weight gain behind artificial sweeteners, not my own theory).
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    the risk is that the sweet taste (which for artificial sweeteners is much more than actual sugar) makes your body expect to receive calories. when it doesn't, it makes you crave food. You might have an urge to binge. If you don't binge, you don't gain weight. Problem solved. (This is the theory that some use to explain the potential weight gain behind artificial sweeteners, not my own theory).

It's nothing short of urban myth. Calories in, calories out.

In fact, there are studies that show people who drink diet sodas actually tend to *lose* more weight, because they aren't denying themselves a treat. It's far more common for people to binge when they *deny* themselves something, rather than learn to enjoy life in moderation.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    So you're blaming lack of control as "sweetners make ya fat"?

SMH.

How is the thread still going btw? :|

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

SMH.

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what they wrote.

• claygirl1518
    claygirl1518 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I may catch a lot of upset for posting contrary to most people's responses, but from my experience, it's not a great idea. I used to drink between 4-8 coke zeros a day (ridiculous I know). I cut them out as well as "splenda" and "equal". When I was drinking sodas I had headaches pretty much everyday, but attributed it to other things. So far, I'm feeling SO much better. No headaches, and my weight has dropped almost 4 lbs in the last 5 days. I actually decided to drop the sodas for my health and because I was stalled in weight loss for 2 months (working out 45 mins 3 days a week and eating 1350 cals a day, on plan the whole time) and now all the sudden with this change it's coming off again. I still have espresso in the morning, to make sure I don't go through caffeine withdrawal, and I drink Perrier as well, for a bubbles fix.

I think overall some people are very sensitive to aspartame and other sweeteners (my friend with PCOS has to avoid maltodextrin like it's the plague). For most though, it seems fine. The research that's out there is all speculative at this point, if you read the studies, there is a small correlation, not causation.

Cutting it out has helped me, I'm treating it like an experiment. So, maybe, cut it out and the sparkling ice for a few weeks, if you feel better, great! If you add it back and you feel good, don't avoid it anymore. Totally up to you. Good luck.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this sparkling ice thing is, but it sounds to me like it's the same as diet soda. I know that people claim that diet soda doesn't make you fat, but I always had trouble losing weight until I did a few minor tweeks to my diet/activities which included eliminating diet soda. I got down to the weight I was in high school by doing that (I'm 40 now) and still am mostly maintaining it after almost 2 years.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Water is best.

SMH.

Shake your head all you want, but that isn't what she said. At all. She even specifically said it wasn't her theory.

• jkwolly
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

SMH.

Shake your head all you want, but that isn't what she said. At all. She even specifically said it wasn't her theory.

Yeup, definitely read it wrong.

Derpy herp.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I suppose that like most things, this depends on the person.

Mr. Colossus and I drink diet soda, but keep snacks rather well portioned.

We also drink a fair amount of water, coffee and tea throughout the day.

Drinking water will keep you full, so you'll be inclined to snack less.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

SMH.

HOW DO I READING COMPREHENSION???
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds while drinking my favorite adult beverage: bourbon and Diet Sierra Mist or Diet 7-Up. I just counted the bourbon calories.

I must not have got the memo on how the diet soda will make me fat.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I heard diet sodas are full of chemicals

i do a detox every time i drink a diet soda.

i feel great and it has really jump-started my metalabolisms.

PM me for info.