If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    All that ****ty food activates the pleasure center of the brain, and it triggers addictive tendencies, a lot like cocaine or other hard drugs. Lots of people obviously have a hard time dealing with it and go nuts all the time on it, hence why we're a nation of ticking obese diabetic time bombs.

Food and cocaine (hard drugs) are not comparable.

It depends in what sense you're talking about. They both trigger the same response in your dopaminergic pathway if you habitually over-indulge in food, but the only difference is that cocaine creates the potential for dependence, which junk food does not. You don't go into dangerous withdrawals when you stop eating junk food (worst comes to worst you crave whatever foods you're cutting back on, and you get anxious about that). They both affect your reward 'system', but i'd care to bet that cocaine is a bit stronger when it comes to altering your reward system, in comparison to food. That doesn't mean they're not similar experiences though (just like one wouldn't say that benzodiazepine addictions don't exist because heroin is harder for one to quit than a benzodiazepine addiction).

So technically they are in one sense comparable - but at the same time are by no means the same experience nor do they produce the same effect.

Regardless of whether it be cocaine or food though, if somebody wants to make a positive change in their life, they have control over whether or not they pursue treatment/ the resources to make such changes. They may not control the genetic/neurological cards they were drawn, but they can choose to educate themselves, seek out therapy, see a nutritionist, etc., to take care of the problem. I felt the need to clarify this, since people above were under the impression that this perspective may imply that people shouldn't take personal responsibility for themselves, which is the polar opposite of how i view these sorts of situations. I cannot stand when people use things like this as a cop-out because to be quite frank, they're not. We should all be held accountable for our actions and decisions. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Random thought of the day. If so many people are avoiding "processed foods" because they're evil/horrible/killing everyone, that means they're avoiding all the foods that have been fortified with folic acid. If the trend continues, I wonder if there will be an increase in the incidence of birth defects in unplanned pregnancies...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Random thought of the day. If so many people are avoiding "processed foods" because they're evil/horrible/killing everyone, that means they're avoiding all the foods that have been fortified with folic acid. If the trend continues, I wonder if there will be an increase in the incidence of birth defects in unplanned pregnancies...

I think that would be unlikely - don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of this Avoid Processed Foods philosophy - but I do think people turning from processed foods and eating more whole foods like fruit and veg are likely to get enough natural folic acid in their diets, given foods like leafy green veg are naturally high in folic acid.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    it tastes good. also calling any food "trash" is inappropriate. Give "trash" to the hungry then and problem solved.
    Try moderation or quitting altogether, completely giving up on sugary or fatty foods never worked for me, although it works great for a lot of people.
    Have very tasty, healthy meals, there's a lot of awesome recipes here on mfp forum. It's important that you enjoy your healthy food, so you don't feel deprived and you are likely to have less of the fattening stuff.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    "food" companies (I use quotes because if it needs to be manufactured, is it really food?) hire chemists whose sole purpose is to figure out how to make foods more addictive. They then hire lobbyists to get ingredients cleared by the FDA.

I try not to eat anything that doesnt come out of the ground or that once walked upon it, in its most natural state. That generally means avoiding anything processed, canned, in boxes...eg: the entire center section of a grocery store.

Please provide an actual source for you claims. Not personal opinion, let's see actual evidence.

Yes please.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do
    –Just because you can does not mean you should. Dieting without exercising is IMO a path to disordered eating...
    which makes diet the primary component for success.
    Again I respectfully disagree...
    You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.
    Not true. Again, I said within reason. That said, the physical adaptations one experiences from exercise change the game with which the body utilizes calories which again IMO, makes exercise the primary component...
    Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.
    –Agreed. More leeway means better compliance which means better success...
    Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you?
    –Something as simple as long walks, hikes, playing with kids to as intense as a marathon or intense weight lifting. It means being active every day. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier IMO we become.

Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
    –Absolutely disagree. Again, just because you can does not mean you should. Why make it harder on yourself by excluding something you should be doing anyway.

Clearly we're going to disagree on this one, but the notion that losing your weight solely through dieting is a path to disordered eating is just nuts to me. That's exactly how plenty of other people on this site lost their weight. I almost count among this group, except that I was doing slo-fit at the time 1x per wk (so you can figure <100 cals burned). Other than that, I had a desk job. No disordered eating here, unless you count logging. Even that gets dropped on occasion (vacations, holidays, just plain inconvenient).

And frankly, I don't see why you 'should' be exercising 7 days a week. It certainly isn't necessary for health or for weight maintenance. Many don't have to exercise at all and can be healthy and maintain their weight if they watch their diet.

Is it better to exercise? Sure. Always better to be stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. But you can do those things 3, 4 or 5 days a week with at least equal results as someone exercising 7 days a week. And if you're working at high intensity, those days off become important.

Exercise is certainly not necessary for weight loss, or maintenance. There are plenty of people that are unable to exercise due to medical conditions, but they can still lose, or maintain a healthy weight through diet alone. Exercising alone won't do anything to help weight unless you also monitor intake, whether by calorie counting, or other methods. Calories in vs calories out still applies. You SHOULD exercise for optimal health, of course, but again, it's not NECESSARY for weight control. And it's certainly not NECESSARY to exercise EVERY day.

Daily physical activity is the foundation of energy balance...

So, you can't have a negative energy balance without exercise?

Never said can't. But again, just because you can does not mean you should.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    "food" companies (I use quotes because if it needs to be manufactured, is it really food?) hire chemists whose sole purpose is to figure out how to make foods more addictive. They then hire lobbyists to get ingredients cleared by the FDA.

I try not to eat anything that doesnt come out of the ground or that once walked upon it, in its most natural state. That generally means avoiding anything processed, canned, in boxes...eg: the entire center section of a grocery store.

Surprisingly you have an open diary. Since when does protein powder? Jar Butter chicken sauce? Fresh - Grilled Beer Can Chicken.... all those out of your diary
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

Charlotte, I gave up defending my fellow Australians years ago. You just have to go to Bali and you will see some dreadful behaviour at times and their eating habits and idols seem to revolve around alcohol. Fun loving and gorgeous people but at times not too bright. :)

Why did you post this then?
    What is the relevance of a few Australians in Bali to the thread?

I was wrong, I thought you were taking a patronizing position towards the "third world" Bali-ans. I know aussies misbehave.
  • dbmata
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    How about this...

The earth opens up and swallows people while they're just lying in bed. About a year ago (maybe two), some guy not that far from here was just lying in bed and the earth swallowed him up. It's scary chit.

Mother Nature is not always a nice woman.

I enjoy alpine climbing, although to this point I kinda suck at it.

I have seen many ways first hand how nature has no issues with eating us, for good.
    Are you serious? Sound cold. I do not understand mountain climbing. They always use a rope, suspended from above. How does the rope get up there? If they go up there to nail it into the rock, how come they go back down?

I know it has to make sense. I just cannot make sense out of it.

Mother Nature is a fickle beeyatch.

they go up first by helicopter to set up the ropes
    Not really. Depends on the climbing you're talking about. Big mountain expeditions like Denali, Everest. People will climb up at the start of the season and anchor ropes up for ascending. In other places, the ropes are for descent, and you go up there on your own foot power. Ropes are expensive, fickle, and an asset you don't want to leave, so in general you are going to carry it, or wear it (for crevasse fields). Your axe, crampons, and ability to play mountain goat are what gets you up a mountain. axe, crampons, rope and anchoring ability is what gets you down.

Sometimes nature "helps", like what happened on Rainier's Liberty Ridge this year, and that's sad when that happens.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Please provide an actual source for you claims. Not personal opinion, let's see actual evidence.

Also, we have the FDA in Canada now? I think someone's tinfoil hat is on too tight...
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wouldn't it be the FDeh?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ^^^ you are on a roll in this thread...
  • dbmata
    Options
    that was definitely a low hanging fruit. Which I will then process, and sautee, in order to turn it into trash. Delicious, delicious foster/jubilee trash.
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's a great video, that whole episode is pretty good. I don't think that video includes the last scene of the episode though. Which ties that joke up quite well.

What kills me is that I've had numerous meetings like that before.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know we kept being told on this thread that moderation is the key and "it is just food" but boy oh boy some food is definitely superior to others. Had a busy day at work yesterday and after having breakfast at 8am I didn't get to eat until 3.30pm. I was starving hungry so I grabbed a sausage roll to eat on the way home and then ate a couple of chocolate covered liquorices when I got home.

Felt terrible, headache, indigestion and just generally yuck. So we come back to
    "If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?"

Now the chocolate covered liquorices were to die for and were definitely not trash, the sausage roll was the killer!! What do they put in it that makes me feel so sick??
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I know we kept being told on this thread that moderation is the key and "it is just food" but boy oh boy some food is definitely superior to others. Had a busy day at work yesterday and after having breakfast at 8am I didn't get to eat until 3.30pm. I was starving hungry so I grabbed a sausage roll to eat on the way home and then ate a couple of chocolate covered liquorices when I got home.

Felt terrible, headache, indigestion and just generally yuck. So we come back to
    "If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?"

Now the chocolate covered liquorices were to die for and were definitely not trash, the sausage roll was the killer!! What do they put in it that makes me feel so sick??

Sausage mince, puff pastry? I can't imagine why that would make you ill unless you're intolerant to sulphites, which may have been a preservative used.

This is what's in Coles sausage mince: Beef (70%), Water, Rice Flour, Salt, Mineral Salt (451), Preservative (223), Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (Maize), Dextrose (Maize), Spice Extracts (colour 160c), Vegetable Powders (Garlic & Onion), Spices, Herb Extracts. MEAT CONTENT 100% AUSTRALIAN

Perhaps it wasn't stored well in the shop.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Strewth Leena...everyone knows sausage rolls aren't good without tomato sauce on them.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Strewth Leena...everyone knows sausage rolls aren't good without tomato sauce on them.

lol Exactly!! But I was wearing a white top and was not taking any chances.

Charlotte, the shop is really busy and is well patronised so I don't think that was it and it tasted good, really yummy. I peeled most of the pastry off as I try and stay away from wheat but the first bite was the whole experience - pastry and sausage meat. Sadly, no sauce.

Thanks for the list, it is not really appetising is it? I must remember that the next time I am tempted. I think it comes down to the preservative and additives and is the reason I stay away from them but the lure of them is so hard to resist at times. :D