Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• shalak14
    shalak14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The reason diet soda a beverages are considered bad for you because it has aspartame in it. It may be linked to causing cancer and people who have auto-immune disease are recommended to not use it. It does come naturally in some foods but it's best to limit it. I do know yes a lot of things cause cancer but it's best to avoid things that may. They have not done studies on humans that aspartame for sure causes health issues but there is a possibility. You can go on WEBMD and search diet soda.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You drink it, you pee it out
    /thread
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Aspartame lobby is very powerful. Stuff should be banned. Soda in general is bad for your health, sodas interfere with calcium uptake and have a negative effect on bone density.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Aspartame lobby is very powerful. Stuff should be banned. Soda in general is bad for your health, sodas interfere with calcium uptake and have a negative effect on bone density.

Fearmongering is strong too...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I may catch a lot of upset for posting contrary to most people's responses, but from my experience, it's not a great idea. I used to drink between 4-8 coke zeros a day (ridiculous I know). I cut them out as well as "splenda" and "equal". When I was drinking sodas I had headaches pretty much everyday, but attributed it to other things. So far, I'm feeling SO much better. No headaches, and my weight has dropped almost 4 lbs in the last 5 days. I actually decided to drop the sodas for my health and because I was stalled in weight loss for 2 months (working out 45 mins 3 days a week and eating 1350 cals a day, on plan the whole time) and now all the sudden with this change it's coming off again. I still have espresso in the morning, to make sure I don't go through caffeine withdrawal, and I drink Perrier as well, for a bubbles fix.

I think overall some people are very sensitive to aspartame and other sweeteners (my friend with PCOS has to avoid maltodextrin like it's the plague). For most though, it seems fine. The research that's out there is all speculative at this point, if you read the studies, there is a small correlation, not causation.

Cutting it out has helped me, I'm treating it like an experiment. So, maybe, cut it out and the sparkling ice for a few weeks, if you feel better, great! If you add it back and you feel good, don't avoid it anymore. Totally up to you. Good luck.

But OP hasnt mentioned feeling bad that she needs to cut it out to feel better.

I feel perfectly fine drinking it so I will continue to do so - not need for experiements to fix it if it aint broke in the first place.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    shalak14 wrote: »
    The reason diet soda a beverages are considered bad for you because it has aspartame in it. It may be linked to causing cancer and people who have auto-immune disease are recommended to not use it. It does come naturally in some foods but it's best to limit it. I do know yes a lot of things cause cancer but it's best to avoid things that may. They have not done studies on humans that aspartame for sure causes health issues but there is a possibility. You can go on WEBMD and search diet soda.

Why Aspartame Isn't Scary
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I heard diet sodas are full of chemicals

I heard our water supply is full of a chemical called dihydrogen monoxide.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

And fluoride. The dentists are trying to kill us...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

cool-story-bro-obama.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I love the diet soda threads.

I believe studies have shown that sweeteners do not spike insulin have very few, if any calories. Therefore drinking diet drinks will not make you fat!

Some of the sweeteners are quite bitter and make the drinks taste awful - but that's just personal preference.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Dr. Pepper, and I've lost 125 lbs while drinking Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Fortunately, weight bearing exercise increases bone density. So, I'll just drink my diet Coke in between sets at the gym.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Switch to seltzer water. I'm not a fan of soda period. Regular soda is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt and diet soda has a nasty after taste (and yes, even though there are "studies" that state aspartame is "good for you" and "doesn't cause harm" I'm going to err on the side of caution and skip it because I mean it's not like the FDA ever lies. Go ahead and flame me, call me a fear monger or what have you this is just the way I personally feel.) I find that when I am craving soda it's just the carbonation that I want so I drink seltzer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    It's probably the same as diet sodas but I wouldn't really worry about consuming it unless you're having 15 - 20 bottles a day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options

Mwehehe at first I was thinking "HOW COULD YOU INSULT WATER!" and then I realized that's H2O... Felt a tad dumb at first.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of soda period. Regular soda is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt and diet soda has a nasty after taste I find that when I am craving soda it's just the carbonation that I want so I drink seltzer.

This is what I find as well, but plain seltzer is nasty with my liquor.
    OP, I drink that ICE stuff all the time. Mostly with my booze. I have lost nearly 25 lbs on MFP while drinking it, and I'm still going strong. It won't hurt your weight loss efforts. And I think it has Sucralose in it, not aspartame, if you prefer that.

• joeldiaz137
    Options
    I will throw my two cents in. From what I've gathered through my travels around the interweb, artificial sweetener are processed in a way that can adversely affect your metabolism. So yes they have zero calories but they may slow down your metabolic rate which can affect your weight loss goals. I'll drink a diet coke every now and then with a meal or use crystal light with my waters from time to time. Enjoy in moderation. The cancer thing, we'll leave that for another thread.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I may catch a lot of upset for posting contrary to most people's responses, but from my experience, it's not a great idea. I used to drink between 4-8 coke zeros a day (ridiculous I know). I cut them out as well as "splenda" and "equal". When I was drinking sodas I had headaches pretty much everyday, but attributed it to other things. So far, I'm feeling SO much better. No headaches, and my weight has dropped almost 4 lbs in the last 5 days. I actually decided to drop the sodas for my health and because I was stalled in weight loss for 2 months (working out 45 mins 3 days a week and eating 1350 cals a day, on plan the whole time) and now all the sudden with this change it's coming off again. I still have espresso in the morning, to make sure I don't go through caffeine withdrawal, and I drink Perrier as well, for a bubbles fix.

I think overall some people are very sensitive to aspartame and other sweeteners (my friend with PCOS has to avoid maltodextrin like it's the plague). For most though, it seems fine. The research that's out there is all speculative at this point, if you read the studies, there is a small correlation, not causation.

Cutting it out has helped me, I'm treating it like an experiment. So, maybe, cut it out and the sparkling ice for a few weeks, if you feel better, great! If you add it back and you feel good, don't avoid it anymore. Totally up to you. Good luck.

Yup! I used to drink 4-5 cans of Diet Pepsi a day....sometimes even before noon. I never over ate because of the pop, but I can tell you that once I stopped drinking pop altogether, diet or otherwise, I started losing the weight.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was a diet soda addict. Diet Coke was like crack to me. I started thinking when I was pregnant with my 2nd baby that if doctors are telling me to limit diet soda for the baby's health, it probably isn't all that great for mine. I have a diet soda like once a month (usually with rum). However, I still put sweet n low in my 2-3 cups of coffee and it hasn't inhibited my weight loss. Down 35 lbs.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    HotCuppaJo wrote: »

Yup! I used to drink 4-5 cans of Diet Pepsi a day....sometimes even before noon. I never over ate because of the pop, but I can tell you that once I stopped drinking pop altogether, diet or otherwise, I started losing the weight.

If you weren't losing weight, it's because you were eating more calories than you were burning, it wasn't the zero calorie diet sodas. Weight loss=calories in - calories out.