Two strength training questions...

Options

Replies

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Update :

I don't know how long I will be able to afford the gym because for a month with 3 weekly sessions its $150. It's insane. Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to do it.

I start February.

You won't need to continue with the trainer unless you can afford it. If you can't afford it, tell the trainer up front and he'll set you up with something you can do at the gym on your own, in a timeframe that is okay for you (minutes per session , sessions per week). After the initial sessions, you just keep going and follow his plan and then buy some more sessions in a few months when you're ready to change it up a bit. Til then, you'll be adding weight to lifts regularly, getting stronger in the lifts you're doing. You just need to form the habit first, and see how great it makes you feel.

I've been thinking about this as well. I'll have to discuss it with him. But I will need some guidance again. It's been years since I did a little lifting. And it only lasted a week. Lol.

He'll need to help me out with form again.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Update :

I don't know how long I will be able to afford the gym because for a month with 3 weekly sessions its $150. It's insane. Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to do it.

I start February.
    You just need to form the habit first, and see how great it makes you feel.

Ahahaha! ...right..

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Kiyy wrote: »
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

Great attitude!! :laugh:

Lol I know. I can't believe a website full of strangers convinced me to do this. What's this world coming to? :grin:

We are rather convincing. You will be thanking us in 10 years. :flowerforyou:

I just don't know if I'm going to be able to maintain that price. $150 a month is A LOT. That's the biggest factor right now that might keep me from continuing in the future.

I pay much more than that, but I'm also more financially established than the average 21 year old.

It is an investment in your future health, but you may only need to bear that cost for a little bit.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yep, do the first sessions to get setup and work on form. Also, if he is a gym staff trainer, he won't let you use bad form if he ever sees it he will correct you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

Because muscle is used to move...isn't it??

I'm not sitting paralyzed in a wheel chair like a person with no legs or arms.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

If ever there was an excellent time to protect your future self.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.

Then refuse. Funny thing, at least 47% of the US refuses to believe in evolution.

I'd have a hard time believing it, if I didn't personally hand her the bag, and directed her where to put it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.

Men of quality do not want a weak woman.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.

QFT!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

That seems a little judgmental. I happen to like needing help with lifting heavy objects. Granted, boyfriend thinks it's kind of silly, but I'm sure if I started lifting he'd feel slighted as a result.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

QFT!

Pffft. Who needs men. :neutral_face: (no offence guys)

I'm just not interested in love I guess.
  • dbmata
    Options

QFT!

Who said anything about love?
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I use L-Glutamine, and I find it helps with DOMS. DOMS will get better as your body adjusts to your workout. I find I miss the "good pain" that tells me I worked hard the previous day.

If you can't afford a gym, and have some equipment at home, you can do a program like Body Beast (eventually works out to less than a gym). It is good to have a trainer set you up on a program so that you know how to lift safely. There are also videos online that can help you if you are having problems with any of your lifts (i.e. squats, benchpress). I think man of steel has some good links to these.

Don't knock bodyweight exercise. It can take you pretty far if you keep modifying it.

Are you going to school? Universities often have fully stocked gyms with admission included in your school fees. They may even have kinesiology students (excuse spelling) setting people up on programs.

Good for you for pushing yourself to meet your goals. Good luck :)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

QFT!

Who said anything about love?

Hahaha wow....that's so typical. ;)

• dbmata
    Options

That seems a little judgmental. I happen to like needing help with lifting heavy objects. Granted, boyfriend thinks it's kind of silly, but I'm sure if I started lifting he'd feel slighted as a result.

If you think that was judgemental....

Lol. Wait til you read this.

A certain type of man wants a weak woman, one who cannot lift basic objects, or put up a fight when this certain type of man imposes their will upon the woman. A woman who must be cared for, treated as a porcelain dolly, or a coveted asset made of glass and to be directed when appropriate.

For some women, interestingly enough, that works.
  • randomtai
    Options

QFT!

tumblr_lixm880aIQ1qb4x0io1_500.gif
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

A certain type of man wants a weak woman, one who cannot lift basic objects, or put up a fight when this certain type of man imposes their will upon the woman. A woman who must be cared for, treated as a porcelain dolly, or a coveted asset made of glass and to be directed when appropriate.

Cast iron pot, a good swing...and a well planned out grave site is a good option. ;) especially in south africa. Lol
  • randomtai
    Options

tumblr_inline_n41dwtX4hg1qh3m0l.gif
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I use L-Glutamine, and I find it helps with DOMS. DOMS will get better as your body adjusts to your workout. I find I miss the "good pain" that tells me I worked hard the previous day.

If you can't afford a gym, and have some equipment at home, you can do a program like Body Beast (eventually works out to less than a gym). It is good to have a trainer set you up on a program so that you know how to lift safely. There are also videos online that can help you if you are having problems with any of your lifts (i.e. squats, benchpress). I think man of steel has some good links to these.

Don't knock bodyweight exercise. It can take you pretty far if you keep modifying it.

Are you going to school? Universities often have fully stocked gyms with admission included in your school fees. They may even have kinesiology students (excuse spelling) setting people up on programs.

Good for you for pushing yourself to meet your goals. Good luck :)

I am a long distance student so no free gym. And I don't have equipment at home...otherwise I won't be picking up 25kilo bags of dog food to begin with. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options

Cast iron pot, a good swing...and a well planned out grave site is a good option. ;) especially in south africa. Lol

I'm one of the common folk. I keep a shovel in my truck at all times, for when a body is needing disposing. ;)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

I'm one of the common folk. I keep a shovel in my truck at all times, for when a body is needing disposing. ;)

I may be weak....but I have my methods. One of which includes chasing a poor drunken dude away with a baseball bat...I thought he was a burglar...turns out he was just drunk and trying to open the wrong apartments door. :neutral_face: oopsie.
  • randomtai
    Options

You gotta be able to pick up the cast iron pot to begin with. :laugh: