Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    Wait...what happened to the insulin response and how sugar is responsible for the obesity 'epidemic' in Thailand and Brazil?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/09/health/beating-the-bulge-brazil-obesity/

What's it say in the black text box on the cover picture ?

I'll tell you..."access to processed foods".

I'm done debating this by the way. You believe what you want and I will do the same.

First of all, that link contradicts your other 'source'

"In 2012, around one in seven Brazilians were classed as obese. Globally, Brazil is far behind countries such as the United States and Mexico, where around a third of people are obese, but the concern is the rapid rate of weight gain. The country once vulnerable to malnutrition and the associated health impacts, such as impaired growth, is instead now vulnerable to obesity and resulting heart disease and diabetes. In 1975 just 19% of Brazilian men and 29% of Brazilian women were overweight: In 2014 those figures are now 54% and 48% respectively.""

Secondly, nice cherry picking

Thirdly, its a news article and does not show the food consumption statistics.

Fourthly, you actually probably did not cherry pick - you likely did not read the whole article - otherwise you would have used a different quote as access to processed foods =/= sugar consumption.

I'm not sure why that article was published considering your suggestion that there is not an obesity issue in Brazil. Can you explain this to me before I go to bed ?
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Wait...what happened to the insulin response and how sugar is responsible for the obesity 'epidemic' in Thailand and Brazil?

I'm done debating this by the way. You believe what you want and I will do the same.

You're done debating this? Lol. You know who's done debating things? People who are wrong. People who are right don't say "I'm done debating this" out of frustration lol.
    Outside of getting tired I'm in a pretty good mood actually.

It's an impasse. What's the point of going around and around and around ?
    Obviously you have your opinions and I have mine.

You mean we have our facts, and you have your opinions.

k.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

"In 2012, around one in seven Brazilians were classed as obese. Globally, Brazil is far behind countries such as the United States and Mexico, where around a third of people are obese, but the concern is the rapid rate of weight gain. The country once vulnerable to malnutrition and the associated health impacts, such as impaired growth, is instead now vulnerable to obesity and resulting heart disease and diabetes. In 1975 just 19% of Brazilian men and 29% of Brazilian women were overweight: In 2014 those figures are now 54% and 48% respectively.""

Fourthly, you actually probably did not cherry pick - you likely did not read the whole article - otherwise you would have used a different quote as access to processed foods =/= sugar consumption.

I'm not sure why that article was published considering your suggestion that there is not an obesity issue in Brazil. Can you explain this to me before I go to bed ?

Look at your chart, then read the article you posted.

Also, tell me where I said there was not one.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

Are you trying to argue that there's nothing wrong with sugar ?

yes, I believe we are.

over consumption of calories leads to obesity….

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

there are no essential nutrients in sugar.

Lol. None? It serves no benefit?

What benefit to your body does refined sugar have ?

Destroys your liver and teeth.

A quick source of energy?

Getting fat adapted freed me from needing a quick source of energy so no more lack of sugar crashes to deal with.

You do not quite get the concept of quick sources of energy for endurance sports or lifting.

So true.

• sm1zzle
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
    We are talking refined sugar here.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

And where does Brazil fall in the global obesity rankings?
    I haven't seen an obese Thai yet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

http://www.burning-bison.com/obesity.htm
    While I'm not one to dissuade links, it's also important to use credible sources.
    This from the link:

Source: Unknown, data drawn from WHO Non-Communicable Diseases Country Profiles, 2011

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agreed.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
    We are talking refined sugar here.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

And where does Brazil fall in the global obesity rankings?
    I haven't seen an obese Thai yet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

http://www.burning-bison.com/obesity.htm
    While I'm not one to dissuade links, it's also important to use credible sources.
    This from the link:

Source: Unknown, data drawn from WHO Non-Communicable Diseases Country Profiles, 2011

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can agree with that. It's like using a poll for your basis of argument for a political debate. The truth of that poll depends on where in the country you're standing.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

yes, I believe we are.

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

Getting fat adapted freed me from needing a quick source of energy so no more lack of sugar crashes to deal with.

I use to get that sugar crash often when I still drank soda all the time.

You will find some posting are sugar crash insensitive because they think it is normal which is a sign of a sugar addict.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

You're done debating this? Lol. You know who's done debating things? People who are wrong. People who are right don't say "I'm done debating this" out of frustration lol.
    Outside of getting tired I'm in a pretty good mood actually.

It's an impasse. What's the point of going around and around and around ?
    Obviously you have your opinions and I have mine.

You mean we have our facts, and you have your opinions.

Stole the words right from me ;-)
  • sm1zzle
    edited November 2014
    Options

You were suggesting that there was no epidemic in Brazil.

When I think of processed food the first thing I think of is cereal... and what is most kids cereal packed with ?

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

I use to get that sugar crash often when I still drank soda all the time.

You will find some posting are sugar crash insensitive because they think it is normal which is a sign of a sugar addict.

I eat sugar. Often. I don't get a sugar crash unless I haven't had enough protein, and I'm hypoglycemic.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

You do not quite get the concept of quick sources of energy for endurance sports or lifting.

So true.

LOL
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    In the mid-1970s, only 2.8% of adult men and 7.8% of adult women in Brazil were obese. In 2008–2009, obesity prevalence was 12.5% among men and 16.9% among women. In addition to monitoring obesity prevalence trends, it is necessary to consider the proportion of over-weight individuals (body mass index between 25 and 30 kilograms per square metre [kg m−2]) in the population, which is 35.0% in Brazil’s adult population. Seventy-five million Brazilians have some degree of excess weight, including 5.7 million children aged 5.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/obr.12101/pdf

Feel free to read references and sources if you wish.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options

When I think of processed food the first thing I think of is cereal... and what is most kids cereal packed with ?

No I was not.
  • sm1zzle
    edited November 2014
    Options

No I was not.

Yeah, ok.

If many processed foods are high in refined sugars, and the obesity spike is linked to access to processed food then what would a person with common sense say about excessive refined sugar consumption ?

boom-2gjd45e.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

No I was not.

Yeah, ok.

If many processed foods are high in refined sugars, and the obesity spike is linked to access to processed food then what would a person with common sense say about excessive refined sugar consumption ?

boom-2gjd45e.jpg

What most people cut when they cut out processed foods is white bread, rice, and pasta. Also, frozen or packaged meals. Those things make up the bulk of "processed foods" that people buy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No I was not.

Yeah, ok.

Please refer to my other comment re the fact that there are no stats shown or linked.

Also, you realize that processed foods are also often high in fats and non-refined sugar carbs right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I think we had a premature "BOOM".

I wonder where that goes on the bingo card.
  • sm1zzle
    edited November 2014
    Options

No I was not.

Yeah, ok.

Please refer to my other comment re the fact that there are no stats shown or linked.

Also, you realize that processed foods are also often high in fats and non-refined sugar carbs right?

These people are getting fat because they're drinking all of these sugary drinks and eating all of those crappy foods. Why can't you just admit that ?

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I think we had a premature "BOOM".

I wonder where that goes on the bingo card.

9bbc1f04c05ef89214e33dbaac9e969f.jpg

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

No I was not.

Yeah, ok.

These people are getting fat because they're drinking all of these sugary drinks and eating all of those crappy foods. Why can't you just admit that ?

Because I have not seen anything to show that - just you guessing.