Run_Fit wrote: »
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

Are you trying to argue that there's nothing wrong with sugar ?

yes, I believe we are.

over consumption of calories leads to obesity….

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

there are no essential nutrients in sugar.

Lol. None? It serves no benefit?

What benefit to your body does refined sugar have ?

Destroys your liver and teeth.

A quick source of energy?

LOL

...by spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels !

Huh?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

yes, I believe we are.

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

that has nothing to do with whether it is addictive or not ..

actually, the guy that did the twinkie diet lost weight and had better health markers….go figure…but you know, sugar...

We're talking sugar here... not specific foods that have other ingredients in them.

Refined sugar will spike your blood sugar and insulin level...has no fiber which will not make you full..like eating fruits will do.

So?

What happens when people eat and don't get full ?

• sm1zzle
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

I. Can't. Even ....

Sure you can.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

You don't understand how the human body works do you?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

Potato chips are worse for your teeth.

Also, it is a good pre-workout.

Also, who the heck says everything needs to be good for your body. Mental health is important also.

Chewing rocks will also destroy your teeth.

Solid argument, point well made.

Wait...I meant lolwut?

It wouldn't be a typical day on MFP if someone didn't start grasping at random straws, regardless if they make sense or not.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.

An addict will do anything in order to feed their addiction. If what you say is true, then sugar addicts would be stealing sweets from the store, stealing money to buy sweets, and digging sweets out of the trash.

It is not an addiction if it is selective.

The addict does not have to steal from the store. Food/drink with sugar is plentiful at the store and it is very, very low cost... so why would any one steal something that is everywhere ?

People do many things to feed that addiction... such as choosing to not eat healthy and instead eat foods that are heavy in sugar, not drink water and instead drink fountain soda after fountain soda, etc.

People are choosing to do that no doubt, but people also choose to do heroin, crack, and cocaine.

When was the last time you saw someone who had voided themselves and/or dead in the streets from sugar?

Your last statement is one of the most ignorant ones I have seen. Do you realize how physically addictive crack is?

I've seen people try to wing themselves off of soda... and you would think they are trying to quit smoking or quit some kind of drug. Just because you've never seen something personally doesn't mean it's not real.

If sugar were an addictive substance, it would be addictive to the majority who ate it (with exceptions for outliers). Personally, I just gave up soda. It was pretty easy, actually. I just got a bigger Britta pitcher to make drinking water more convenient.

I love chocolate, but only good chocolate. I have no problem turning down a Hershey's bar.

I love ice cream, but only good ice cream. I have no problem turning down a flavor or brand I don't care for.

I love cookies, but my roomie has 2 giant bags of pizzelle cookies in my kitchen and I won't touch them because I think they're too dry.

And the thing is, ALL PEOPLE who claim to be addicted to sugar are selective in these same ways. They are only "addicted" to certain, very specific sugary foods, not all sugary foods.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

What happens to your blood sugar and insulin when you eat refined sugar.... please tell me ?

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

actually, the guy that did the twinkie diet lost weight and had better health markers….go figure…but you know, sugar...

We're talking sugar here... not specific foods that have other ingredients in them.

Refined sugar will spike your blood sugar and insulin level...has no fiber which will not make you full..like eating fruits will do.

So?

Errr - you avoided the main 'so' part.

The spiking insulin.

Also, what happens when you eat something with that table sugar you are pouring down your gullet.

Also, what happens when you ingest protein?

Also, what is so bad about insulin?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

What happens to your blood sugar and insulin when you eat refined sugar.... please tell me ?

And what do you think happens when you consume protein?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

Potato chips are worse for your teeth.

Also, it is a good pre-workout.

Also, who the heck says everything needs to be good for your body. Mental health is important also.

Chewing rocks will also destroy your teeth.

I think this guys has nailed every argument fallacy in the book, lol.

Can we get an "Argument Fallacy Bingo" card?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.

An addict will do anything in order to feed their addiction. If what you say is true, then sugar addicts would be stealing sweets from the store, stealing money to buy sweets, and digging sweets out of the trash.

It is not an addiction if it is selective.

The addict does not have to steal from the store. Food/drink with sugar is plentiful at the store and it is very, very low cost... so why would any one steal something that is everywhere ?

People do many things to feed that addiction... such as choosing to not eat healthy and instead eat foods that are heavy in sugar, not drink water and instead drink fountain soda after fountain soda, etc.

People are choosing to do that no doubt, but people also choose to do heroin, crack, and cocaine.

When was the last time you saw someone who had voided themselves and/or dead in the streets from sugar?

Your last statement is one of the most ignorant ones I have seen. Do you realize how physically addictive crack is?

I've seen people try to wing themselves off of soda... and you would think they are trying to quit smoking or quit some kind of drug. Just because you've never seen something personally doesn't mean it's not real.

If sugar were an addictive substance, it would be addictive to the majority who ate it (with exceptions for outliers). Personally, I just gave up soda. It was pretty easy, actually. I just got a bigger Britta pitcher to make drinking water more convenient.

I love chocolate, but only good chocolate. I have no problem turning down a Hershey's bar.

I love ice cream, but only good ice cream. I have no problem turning down a flavor or brand I don't care for.

I love cookies, but my roomie has 2 giant bags of pizzelle cookies in my kitchen and I won't touch them because I think they're too dry.

And the thing is, ALL PEOPLE who claim to be addicted to sugar are selective in these same ways. They are only "addicted" to certain, very specific sugary foods, not all sugary foods.

I love Blue Bell ice cream, but I wont touch Blue Bunny or Breyers.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

I would actually love for you to tell us as you appear to be so knowledgeable on the subject - and please don't just stop at the first thing that happens...can you walk us through the whole cycle. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

It elicits an insulin response that takes glucose in the blood stream and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver and stores the remainder as fat so you will have readily available energy when you need it later as opposed to raising blood glucose levels to dangerous levels. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do and exactly what it needs to do. Insulin is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

So?

The spiking insulin.

Also, what happens when you eat something with that table sugar you are pouring down your gullet.

If you have more sugar in your body than your liver can process that sugar is turned into fatty acid.

• WatchJoshLift
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

I would actually love for you to tell us as you appear to be so knowledgeable on the subject.

Appearances can be deceiving. :wink:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Unsweetened apple juice has a higher glycemic load than most sweets.

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

Unsweetened apple juice has a higher glycemic load than most sweets.

See also: white rice.

Must be because of all the refined sugar.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

So?

The spiking insulin.

If you have more sugar in your body than your liver can process that sugar is turned into fatty acid.

Fatty acids are required for your body to function though.

• sm1zzle
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

It elicits an insulin response that takes glucose in the blood stream and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver and stores the remainder as fat so you will have readily available energy when you need it later as opposed to raising blood glucose levels to dangerous levels. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do and exactly what it needs to do. Insulin is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing.

your body does not burn fat when your insulin levels are spiked

Did you even take a biology class in school ?

• WatchJoshLift
    Options
    All this sugar talk is making me want a slice of that pumpkin pie in my fridge. It's okay though, pumpkin is a vegetable.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

So?

The spiking insulin.

Please could you address all the questions - I am trying to get the complete picture.

Also, how much sugar can your liver process?

See...all this information and so many questions! This is fab!