Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In regards to links of the top sugar consuming countries:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

Are you trying to argue that there's nothing wrong with sugar ?

yes, I believe we are.

over consumption of calories leads to obesity….

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

there are no essential nutrients in sugar.

Lol. None? It serves no benefit?

What benefit to your body does refined sugar have ?

Destroys your liver and teeth.

A quick source of energy?

LOL

...by spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels !

You don't understand how the human body works do you?

Of course I do.

What happens to your blood sugar and insulin when you eat refined sugar.... please tell me ?

It elicits an insulin response that takes glucose in the blood stream and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver and stores the remainder as fat so you will have readily available energy when you need it later as opposed to raising blood glucose levels to dangerous levels. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do and exactly what it needs to do. Insulin is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing.

your body does not burn fat when your insulin levels are spiked

Did you even take a biology class in school ?

Your body is constantly oxidizing fat...there's 1

Seriously ?

And here I thought fat suppression was blocked when insulin levels were spiked.

Silly me.

Fat gets burned when insulin drops.

Fat is constantly being oxidized and fat is constantly being stored. The relative rates of the two determine whether you are netting fat oxidation or whether you are netting fat storage, but insulin spikes do not STOP fat oxidation, they lower the rate of fat oxidation and increase the rate of fat storage for a temporary period of time.

It might all become clear to him if he only would read that link *sigh*

Seriously...I'm sticking with the "he's allergic to science" theory
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I'm not going to read any sort of internet article.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

That is the quote.
    You can clearly see where I said "I personally believe"

What Sara put out was about facts in regards to insulin. FACTS. Not opinions.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

That is the quote.

Add burden of proof to the bingo card.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
    We are talking refined sugar here.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

That is the quote.

We can see where you backtracked in order to call your claim an "opinion" when you saw that science was not on your side, after you previously stated your belief as a fact.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It is my opinion that I am a billionaire.

So...what now...do I clap, or click my heels, or what?

that can be factually disproven.

Stop being a *kitten*.

But so can "sugar is addictive." So....YOU stop being a j*******! :smiley:

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

• WatchJoshLift
    Options

That is the quote.

This was clearly AFTER you said it was fact, after you couldn't back up your claim of it being fact. :smiley:
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

no I don't…

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

But you just said:

So....

I will read that article :smiley:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    TL;DR version:

The gumment, exercise and Richard Simmons made me fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is the quote.

How about illusory superiority? Think we can add that?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

Yes, I would, in fact, disagree.

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

• PikaKnight
    edited November 2014
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Popping packing bubbles can be addictive. Video games can be addictive. Flipping the light switch on and off 10 times before you leave a room can be addictive. Licking envelopes can be additive.

And what do these things have in common with eating sugar? They are psychological "addictions", which, at the most is what a "real sugar addiction" would be...which means it's not actually sugar that is addictive, but the person's behaviour and habits towards it.

And more than likely this type of disordered eating isn't going to be solely focused on sugar, but on food in general. It's just easier to point the finger at sugar rather than realize you've got a problem with overeating in general, because that seems easier to fix by declaring you are going to cut out all sugar.

• sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg
  • sm1zzle
    Options

That is the quote.

We can see where you backtracked in order to call your claim an "opinion" when you saw that science was not on your side, after you previously stated your belief as a fact.

It's always been an opinion/belief.

Where did I say anything other wise ?

The point of addiction was always opinion...what it does to your body is what I pointed out as fact.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

That is the quote.

How about illusory superiority? Think we can add that?

Definitely.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

Here's another good one. That incline in sugar consumption would probably parallel the increase in obesity world wide as well
    sugar_world_consumption_statistics_graph.gif
  • sm1zzle
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Yes, I would, in fact, disagree.

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

...but you do resist the urge to pound 3 hershey bars every day of the week right ?

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people are so intent on arguing with such an obvious: a) troll b) moron c) both a) and b).

Carry on...