Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Good lawdy...just read this...please...for the love of..

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

I'm not going to read any sort of internet article.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

This dude is in danger of breaking MFP. I'm not sure MFP can handle so much I can't even in one thread ...

You're typing but saying nothing.

When people have no knowledge to contribute to the conversation they will usually just say silly things. I don't blame you for doing this... you want to be a part of the conversation even though you can't really contribute.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

This dude is in danger of breaking MFP. I'm not sure MFP can handle so much I can't even in one thread ...

When people have no knowledge to contribute to the conversation they will usually just say silly things. I don't blame you for doing this... you want to be a part of the conversation even though you can't really contribute.

I can contribute just fine. I'm just not sure it's worth contributing with someone who isn't even willing to look at evidence that is relevant to the discussion, but would rather make ridiculous comments like "chewing rocks destroys teeth."

Clearly that was a sarcastic statement guy... you are hopefully not that dense.

I am totally willing to respect everyone's opinion. Just because I believe a certain way does not make it right... it's just what I personally what I believe.

You are the one trying to force your opinion/belief off on me.

You keep calling them "opinions". I don't think that means what you think it means. You keep posting factually incorrect statements and calling them opinions. We are responding with factually correct statements and it seems that these facts are upsetting to you. Maybe the real reason you didn't want to read the link is because you're allergic to science.

Ok big mouth I will bite... what did I say that was factually incorrect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

Are you trying to argue that there's nothing wrong with sugar ?

yes, I believe we are.

over consumption of calories leads to obesity….

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

there are no essential nutrients in sugar.

Lol. None? It serves no benefit?

What benefit to your body does refined sugar have ?

Destroys your liver and teeth.

A quick source of energy?

LOL

...by spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels !

You don't understand how the human body works do you?

Of course I do.

What happens to your blood sugar and insulin when you eat refined sugar.... please tell me ?

It elicits an insulin response that takes glucose in the blood stream and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver and stores the remainder as fat so you will have readily available energy when you need it later as opposed to raising blood glucose levels to dangerous levels. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do and exactly what it needs to do. Insulin is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing.

your body does not burn fat when your insulin levels are spiked

Did you even take a biology class in school ?

Wow, I really have to spoon feed this to you huh? Ok well when you're not eating food which is most of the time, where do you think your body gets energy from? That's right! Stored fat! How long do you think insulin levels are elevated after eating? You really are one of the most ignorant people I've seen in all my time on these forums. The funniest part is that all these knowledgeable people are making a fool of you but you're so sure that you're right lol.

It's clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Some of the other people at least are making arguments that I can debate with them on. You've done nothing but embarrass yourself.

You are sorely mistaken.

Please read the link I gave.

That was not directed at you.

I know. My statement stands.

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

no I don't…

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to me that all these so-called "documentaries" and theories which point to an outside source (carbs, sugar, processed foods, meat, etc.) and blames that source for weight gain gets so many followers who are ready to embrace a crutch rather than take personal responsibility for their own actions. *sigh*

I agree with your point about blaming others...but your argument is like saying there is nothing wrong with heroin, and in fact it should be legal so people, who can moderate their heroin usage, can do so at their leisure.

Are you REALLY comparing heroin to sugar, and are you suggesting that sugar should be illegal because people can't control themselves around it? The absurdity!

yes, I believe we are.

you can get 100% of your diet from sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet….

LOL

Of course I do.

What happens to your blood sugar and insulin when you eat refined sugar.... please tell me ?

It elicits an insulin response that takes glucose in the blood stream and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver and stores the remainder as fat so you will have readily available energy when you need it later as opposed to raising blood glucose levels to dangerous levels. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do and exactly what it needs to do. Insulin is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing.

Your body is constantly oxidizing fat...there's 1
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I can contribute just fine. I'm just not sure it's worth contributing with someone who isn't even willing to look at evidence that is relevant to the discussion, but would rather make ridiculous comments like "chewing rocks destroys teeth."

Clearly that was a sarcastic statement guy... you are hopefully not that dense.

I am totally willing to respect everyone's opinion. Just because I believe a certain way does not make it right... it's just what I personally believe.

You are the one trying to force your opinion/belief off on me.

So...everything you posted was your opinion?
  • AJ_G
    Options

no I don't…

An addict will do anything in order to feed their addiction. If what you say is true, then sugar addicts would be stealing sweets from the store, stealing money to buy sweets, and digging sweets out of the trash.

It is not an addiction if it is selective.

The addict does not have to steal from the store. Food/drink with sugar is plentiful at the store and it is very, very low cost... so why would any one steal something that is everywhere ?

People do many things to feed that addiction... such as choosing to not eat healthy and instead eat foods that are heavy in sugar, not drink water and instead drink fountain soda after fountain soda, etc.

People are choosing to do that no doubt, but people also choose to do heroin, crack, and cocaine.

Comparing sugar to drugs is a false equivalence.

How so ?

They're both extremely addicting and will cause harm to your body up to resulting in death.

There's 2...
  • AJ_G
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

There's 3...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that I am a billionaire.

So...what now...do I clap, or click my heels, or what?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

no I don't…

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.[/quote]

Doesn't seem like an "opinion" when you are stating something to be fact that you have no proof of.
  • sm1zzle
    edited November 2014
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

Seriously ?

And here I thought fat suppression was blocked when insulin levels were spiked.

Silly me.

Fat gets burned when insulin drops.

• sm1zzle
    Options

that can be factually disproven.

Stop being a *kitten*.

• sm1zzle
    Options

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

I am not butt hurt.

Your opinions are idiotic in my opinion.

.. because you're butt hurt.

It's ok.

Wut?

That does not even make any sense...then again...nothing new there.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

The problem isn't with sugar, the problem is with people who can't control themselves.

So heroin is ok then ?

so your saying that heroin = sugar???????

I'm saying that if there is nothing wrong with the object... and it's strictly on the person.. then why is heroin illegal ?

• AJ_G
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

Seriously ?

Silly me.

Fat is constantly being oxidized and fat is constantly being stored. The relative rates of the two determine whether you are netting fat oxidation or whether you are netting fat storage, but insulin spikes do not STOP fat oxidation, they lower the rate of fat oxidation and increase the rate of fat storage for a temporary period of time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.

But you just said:

So....
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

But so can "sugar is addictive." So....YOU stop being a j*******! :smiley:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

yes, I believe we are.

LOL

Of course I do.

Seriously ?

Silly me.

Fat is constantly being oxidized and fat is constantly being stored. The relative rates of the two determine whether you are netting fat oxidation or whether you are netting fat storage, but insulin spikes do not STOP fat oxidation, they lower the rate of fat oxidation and increase the rate of fat storage for a temporary period of time.

It might all become clear to him if he only would read that link *sigh*

• sm1zzle
    edited November 2014
    Options

That is the quote.
    You can clearly see where I said "I personally believe"