I can't believe I used to eat that!!

Replies

• emma1982
    emma1982 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2014
    I grew up eating very healthy food until I was 23- I was put off by butter as a kid, so the first time I tried it, I was 15, and did not go near cheese until I was 18 or so (it smelled "funny"). I put on a lot of weight during my master's just by not looking at labels, and that changed as soon as I had to change my entire wardrobe. It was a one-trial-learning experience.
    Since then my cooking skills have gone out the roof, I make restaurant quality food at home. About a year ago while watching Top Chef, I came to a realization: I can make ANYTHING taste amazing if you give me sugar and butter as staples in my pantry. And the fatty parts of animals. And cream And carbs. Using fat and sugar, I can make miracles in less than 20 minutes. In fact, I have done so- for pot luck dinner parties: I go to the store, and buy really good quality ingredients and make lemon-curd cream cheese cakes- 7 layers and all. Compared to the healthy food I cook, that is ridiculously cheap (butter, eggs, creamcheese, i can make a 20-slice cake for 7 or 8 dollars).
    Now try making something really good for you and really tasty:
    A-) price goes up (at least where we live).
    B-) It is far more difficult (IMO challenging is always more fun).
    Now when I watch Top Chef I kind of sneer. I think- sure your soup tastes amazing in 30 minutes, you added a pint of cream in there, and butter, and bacon...Try building up flavors dammit!
    Needless to say, DH has lost 20lbs, and does not feel he ever compromised on food, just with the cooking challenge.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited November 2014
    Sheese I NEVER did any of this and still fat. sigh. I do not drink soda either. A glass of wine a few times a year ,no beer. The microwave cheese on plate sounds pretty good though. :D
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    McDonalds (and/or Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc) at least once a day, usually twice - Every. Single. Day.

Haven't gone near any of it in 6 years.
    Yes!! Every night after work, A double big mac meal used to be supper. Or Pizza Pizza. C'mon you could get a med. peperoni pizza for $5 to feed hubby and I. Cheaper than cooking. Now I treat myself to Mcdonalds a couple of times a month and have SMALL fries, and a cheeseburger dressed like a mac. mmm mmm Love that Mac sauce.

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    late night snacking.. yea..it's still my downfall
  • rachyrei91
    rachyrei91 Posts: 1 Member
    I have a weakness for plain, low-salt Lays as I've always found the regular ones too salty. I could easily eat an entire bag in one sitting - so I avoid buying them. If they are around, I measure myself out a portion and eat them slowly, savoring each bite and I find I'm satisfied before all the chips are gone.
  • At my low point when I was binging near constantly I could eat an entire bag of cheddar popcorn, an entire box of mac and cheese or a tony's party pizza all by myself and then go on to eat more through the night. I was doing this 4x a week if not more.

Also I'd eat whole boxes of hamburger helper and mac and cheese by myself, bags of chips. At one point I'd get mcdonald's for lunch which was a six piece chicken mcnugget, a large fry and like a milkshake or a coke eat that, and then go to Chipotle for dinner get a MASSIVE burrito with almost everything on it (Looking at you sour cream) and a bag of chips with guac and eat that all by myself. Also I'd put LOADS of coffee creamer in my coffee.

While I can still eat large amounts of food if I really wanted to, I've scaled back A TON with what I eat (Aside from the mac and cheese, I'm still guilty of doing that once and a while.) It's embarassing to write that out. No wonder I gained so much weight.
  • 2bizzybee
    2bizzybee Posts: 23 Member
    A pint Dulce de Leche Haagen-Daz ice cream. No bowl needed.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    McDonalds Big Breakfast on the way to work.

Then snacks at work, obviously.

Then a pub lunch, 4 sausages and chips, with a pint of pepsi normal.

Then snacks at work in the afternoon of course.

Then a KFC on the way home, normally 3 pieces of chicken and 2 large fries.

Then cans of pepsi at home that night.

Over 5000 calories...a day...5 days a week....
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    2bizzybee wrote: »
    A pint Dulce de Leche Haagen-Daz ice cream. No bowl needed.

Haagen-Daz is just too good. Going to have some over christmas.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Apparently I can STILL eat a 16" large pizza all by myself.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    I haven't really entirely cut out much. BUT:

A nutella-and-marshmallow fluff sandwich (on the reg as a before-bed snack).
    Sometimes in college my roommates and I would take chocolate chip cookie dough, wrap it around oreos, and bake them. It's delicious.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    DarbiB wrote: »
    I haven't really entirely cut out much. BUT:

A nutella-and-marshmallow fluff sandwich (on the reg as a before-bed snack).
    Sometimes in college my roommates and I would take chocolate chip cookie dough, wrap it around oreos, and bake them. It's delicious.

OMG i love nutella and fluff. I justify eating them by adding a banana layer lol
  • Whole bags of Lay's BBQ chips and Cool Ranch Doritos...3-4 Sushi rolls (6-8 pieces each) + appetizer...McDonald's Big Mac Meal AND 10 piece chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce (btw, I had a craving this past weekend and ordered this, only ate half of everything...felt AWFUL afterwards)...those were the days lol
  • Lay's potato chips smothered in maple syrup. :\
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2014
    chef boyardee beef ravioli. oh gawd, the horror!! :s how do they even call that tomato sauce with a straight face???
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    A whole package of creme horns...you know, those pastry things with the cream in the middle....preferably the chocolate or lemon ones.

Half a pan of fudge and 2 or 3 glasses of whole milk

Whole bags of Doritos, chips and dip, whatever.

Oddly enough my favorite sandwich growing up was iceburg lettuce and mayo...that was it...between 2 slices of white bread.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Kraft mac n cheese, candy bars, donuts, pudding, cake, pizza, pasta, ice cream, french fries, tater tots, fried chicken, fried fish filets.... that's all history now. The brief pleasure of eating them is not worth me looking like a bloody manatee.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    I still eat everything I used to, just not in abundance.

I used to eat entire pizzas on my own....87 lbs down so far and it's nice to know I can control my future.

That’s great! Your post stuck out when I read: “I used to eat entire pizzas on my own.” I can remember asking people if they wanted pizza and they’d say “no”. When I would phone for delivery they’d reiterate “but I don’t want any.” They didn’t understand I only asked the question to determine if I was ordering 1 large or a large & medium – not whether I was ordering at all. LOL -- Down 162 so far!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    chef boyardee beef ravioli. oh gawd, the horror!! :s how do they even call that tomato sauce with a straight face???

Hahaha yeah... two at a time.

I used to buy raclette cheese... Peel 6 potatoes, cover them with a whole package of raclette, then eat half of it with deli ham. Gosh it was so good. Now to fit that in my calories, it would be one potato with one piece of raclette (and not 12). Sad.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    c4rtr4t wrote: »

Hahaha yeah... two at a time.

I used to buy raclette cheese... Peel 6 potatoes, cover them with a whole package of raclette, then eat half of it with deli ham. Gosh it was so good. Now to fit that in my calories, it would be one potato with one piece of raclette (and not 12). Sad.

but healthier :)

I used to eat half a cheese cake in one sitting, then polish it off before bed. That was bad., Now I can't stomach that sugar at once.