Options
    So, I have a foot more to go.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »
    At 67" tall, that puts me at a 33.5" waist. I was obese when my waist was 33.5".

What kind of stupid measurement is that?

Currently 29.5, and I could still lose a few lbs if I felt like trying

LESS THAN half your height. 33.5 is a limit, not a target. Why can't people read before saying nonense?

Seriously? I was trying to say that I was OBESE. As in EFFING HUGE when my waist was at that "target". I was in no way even remotely healthy.

Maybe you should learn to read before spouting nonsense...
    Are you sure you were obese with a 33.5" waist? I'm a 147 lb. woman and my waist is larger than that. I'm not 'effing huge' or anywhere near obese and I'm shorter than you.

A quick google suggests 33" waist is a men's medium in shirts and pants.

5'7", 200lbs... my waist measured between 33 and 34 depending on the day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    At 67" tall, that puts me at a 33.5" waist. I was obese when my waist was 33.5".

Sorry, WHAT?????? Your post makes NO sense. sorry.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

LESS THAN half your height. 33.5 is a limit, not a target. Why can't people read before saying nonense?

Seriously? I was trying to say that I was OBESE. As in EFFING HUGE when my waist was at that "target". I was in no way even remotely healthy.

Are you sure you were obese with a 33.5" waist? I'm a 147 lb. woman and my waist is larger than that. I'm not 'effing huge' or anywhere near obese and I'm shorter than you.

I'm 6' 192 and my waist is 38.5" Sucks I tell you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Weird. Here's 40 men's waists and their measurements.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/finalists-men-aug-2010

33-34 doesn't look 'effin huge' or obese to me but I guess we're all different.

There are some interesting recommendations in here. 40" is a red flag for many orgs. 35.5" for others.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-definition/abdominal-obesity/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Measuring is hard when you're shaped like the Michelin Man!

5'3" and 38.5" waist. I need to get to 31.5".

I started at 39.5" and i lost almost 20 lbs to lose just 1 inch. Doesn't seem like i can reach that with only 30 more lbs to lose. Guess i will have to tackle that issue when i get there.

Are you sure you are measuring in the right place? I'm 5'3 too, and it sounds like we both tend to carry weight in our middles. One thing that I've noticed (or remembered) is that I'm pretty straight up and down (but with decent-sized breasts), because my legs are proportionally long and hips/butt narrow, and the hip bone goes up past my waistline to almost my ribcage. My narrowest bit is above my waistline, then, and I think that's what they mean by waist--between your hip bone and ribs. If I measured where my belly button is, I'd be getting hip bone.

Anyway, I also found that weight started dropping off from the middle more quickly as I got closer to goal, so you might be surprised.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Considering the waist can be artificially narrowed....

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/smallest-waist-living-person/

But I'm thinking this might be more valuable than the BMI, which is an approximation at best.

Like I said upthread, my insurance company seems to use a combination. Obese BMI is considered a risk factor, and overweight BMI plus waist more than half of height is the same. Still imperfect and there's more to it, but not bad, IMO.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My waist was under the 1/2 mark even when my BMI was at obese. I think your body shape has a lot to do with it....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    My waist was under the 1/2 mark even when my BMI was at obese. I think your body shape has a lot to do with it....

Again, it's a health marker, not an ideal weight measurement.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oooh snap, that means I'm close. It's 35" at the smallest point right now, I gotta get to 33.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Can I just add this bit of inanity?

I love the image of a reporter wandering around the street asking to measure people's "waste". That is cracking me up!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Nekrachael wrote: »
    Can I just add this bit of inanity?

I love the image of a reporter wandering around the street asking to measure people's "waste". That is cracking me up!

That's a different thread, though one that might exist around here somewhere! ;-)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Measuring is hard when you're shaped like the Michelin Man!

5'3" and 38.5" waist. I need to get to 31.5".

I started at 39.5" and i lost almost 20 lbs to lose just 1 inch. Doesn't seem like i can reach that with only 30 more lbs to lose. Guess i will have to tackle that issue when i get there.

Are you sure you are measuring in the right place? I'm 5'3 too, and it sounds like we both tend to carry weight in our middles. One thing that I've noticed (or remembered) is that I'm pretty straight up and down (but with decent-sized breasts), because my legs are proportionally long and hips/butt narrow, and the hip bone goes up past my waistline to almost my ribcage. My narrowest bit is above my waistline, then, and I think that's what they mean by waist--between your hip bone and ribs. If I measured where my belly button is, I'd be getting hip bone.

Anyway, I also found that weight started dropping off from the middle more quickly as I got closer to goal, so you might be surprised.

Sounds like we have similar body types - short waisted.

Last physical I got, the measurement was at the belly button, not the natural waist like you describe. I thought it was ridiculous since she was measuring just at the top of my pelvis and questioned it. The nurse told me that the new regulations for insurance were at the belly button to minimize variation in location of measurement.

She may have been wrong, but now that I've noticed that at least one clinical trial where I've part of the setup measures that way as well.
  • beautifulciera
    beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    31.5 for me....but I'm shooting for 29 :))..maybe 30
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Legit measured, as in with a tape measure and relaxed stomach?

Or pants size. Because men's pants size has almost nothing to do with waist measurement. Vanity sizing, coupled with the fact that many men don't actually wear their pants at the true waist, mean lots of guys have waists far in excess of the number on their pant.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Are you sure you aren't confusing waist size with pant size? I'm 5'7 200 pounds right now, I can fit into size 32 jeans, but my waist size is about 37. Either way, I'm certainly not "effing huge." Maybe you have an issue with perception?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Are you sure you aren't confusing waist size with pant size? I'm 5'7 200 pounds right now, I can fit into size 32 jeans, but my waist size is about 37. Either way, I'm certainly not "effing huge." Maybe you have an issue with perception?

I know, right? I am about a 35 inch waist right now. I'm 5'9" and 199 lbs. I'm overweight, but I don't think I'm HUGE. :(
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

"Depending on the day" suggests to me he measured it often and maybe took notes, which taken with the rest suggests perception/dysmorphia issues, if you ask me.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Not saying you weren't, (how could I know I never met you) but having a hard time picturing someone 5'7" tall with a 33.5" waist as obese...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Something is off...

5'7" 200lbs with a 33-34" waist... I am picturing someone very muscular...