How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options
I am fully expecting my lovely gym to be heaving in the post-New Year Resolution season

But, this is my first year of having months of success, with a fitness regime that works for me and makes me feel great and as I am, at heart, a total curmudgeon I'd like a forecast of how many weeks my gym is going to be heaving with New Year's Resolutions people before they disappear and it returns to normal?

I'm assuming 3 - 4 weeks?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Too long is the answer to that question.

Realistically I notice it goes back to normal by Valentine's Day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    each gym is different... my gym usually dies down around mid February/ early march at the latest.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I always found it to be only about 2 weeks.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1 month- I hope not longer!!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Six weeks at my gym.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    At the smaller gym most people give in within the month because everyone tries to go at the same time and gets sick of the long wait for equipment. At the larger 'family' gym branch it's a bit worse until Feb.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Usually about three months, in my experience, for larger gyms. I also go at the end of the work day, so that might be why it seems to linger for so long-it's busy during that time year-round, but worse after the new year.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wondering if this thread is going to turn into the standard hell storm it tends to every year?

Like everyone said, it all depends... My gym goes through two. We have the post Thanksgiving gym special crowd now, then we pick up a bunch more at New Year's and then it drops off dramatically by mid Feb. At my favorite gym that I was at for about 5yrs, I want to say the rush lasted until March.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My gym has been "New Years" busy for about 2 months already now and only expect it to get worse in January. I think the influx is weather related, since winter arrived early this year.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    When those people figure out their goal that requires a long-term commitment cannot be accomplished with a short-term plan.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    At mine, it seems to last about 2 months.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Usually is get better in the middle of feb.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Beginning of March, in my neck of the woods. I am already dreading this.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hopefully not too long. I was a Resolution person this year, but the weather was so awful in January/February I maybe got to the gym a total of five times in those first two months. Last week it was fairly busy, too, so I'm wondering if it's already started.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am a 6:00 am person, I NEVER see any New Years Resolution people at any of the Gyms I attended.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    February is will get back to normal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    January is the busiest, and then it starts tapering back down. By the end of February and going into March, pretty much back to normal and you get a couple months reprieve until the May surge into summer.

It can be annoying, but just keep in mind that a huge chunk of a gyms annual revenue comes in those first few months of the year...this money usually brings some nice new equipment with it...upgrades, and needed maintenance. Without those first few months of heavy membership, everyone's gym would likely be a heaping pile of old and outdated equipment.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Too long is the answer to that question.

Realistically I notice it goes back to normal by Valentine's Day.

Yep, I agree. I would say around mid-feb.

I'm all for people going to the gym and getting in shape, I honestly am. But at my past gym (a very large YMCA) it was wayyyy too crazy in january/february and sometimes even until March. I had to go to the gym around 6am if I wanted to be able to use weights and a treadmill. Crazzyyy! And all the zumba classes were full as well. All the time.

At my current gym it doesn't seem to be an issue. Makes me love my gym even more when I think about it :) I agree with previous posters who said it varies from a gym to another. I was there last week and didn't see an increase, but at some gyms it starts in december...

So yeah, I'd say it lasts about 1 month and a half, sometimes two.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It depends. I live in the south where it doesn't really get cold and doesn't stay cold. By mid-February most of the resolutioners are gone from my gym. This could last a bit longer if the resolutioners are going to stick it out and you live in a cold climate though.