diet (soda) pop hindered weight loss

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ktm96 wrote: »
    But even if 1200 would be too little.....wouldnt I still lose weight? I'm at a deficit. I weigh 130 pounds and my goal is to get to 125. Its been really really hard to get to. I am 5"5. And YES. i weigh my food on a scale.

MFP app has a flaw. If you set it up to lose 2 pounds (or even 1 pound in some cases) it does not go lower than 1200 and does not print out a warning that this calculation is based on a the safe minimum, not on the actual 2 (or 1) pound calculation. At such a low weight, you are likely to lose much less than what MFP says you would on 1200 diet. This small loss could very easily be masked by the slightest water retention and it may look like you aren't losing when you are. Give yourself a month or two and see where you stand.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Good morning! Research suggests that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda or in ANYTHING fools your body into thinking you are going to be getting real sugar when that artificial sweetener is consumed. When this happens, your body produces an insulin response. The release of insulin causes existing blood sugars circulating in your body to be stored in fat cells in preparation for what it thinks is more real sugar energy coming in. If you consume artificial sweeteners, your body will eventually lose its natural ability to to respond to real sugar, which is the ability to eat less at the next meal and use or burn the sugar energy circulating in your blood from the previous meal. Therefore, you may have trouble loosing or gain weight as a result because your body will want to store more of your blood sugars in fat cells. What’s a girl to do? You want your sweets and artificial sweeteners seem like a great solution, right? My answer is this: eliminate ALL artificial sweeteners from your diet as best you can and DO NOT choose them. Wean yourself of refined sugar cravings by eating foods that contain naturally occurring sugars, i.e. whole fruits. And most importantly, drink a minimum of eight 8 ounce glasses of water every day. Many people confuse thirst with hunger. And lastly, those multiple chemicals can harm you. They are not natural and the diet industry in my humble layman's opinion just wants your money. Anything worth having takes work to accomplish. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Do the work. Have a great day and good luck with your journey:)

exstromn that was a great post. Yesterday on some thread I posted links to the science research but some are not interested in the facts. Like the saying, The truth shall set one free but first it will make one angry.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

My doctor says that she has consistently seen patients lose ten pounds simply by giving up diet soda. The chemicals in it seriously screw with your body.

Riggghhhhttttt.........

Calories in/calories out.

Stop drinking diet soda and replace it with food (calories) and you will gain weight if that calorie count goes over your TDEE.

I don't drink diet soda because my body doesn't like all that caffeine, and I don't like decaffeinated soda.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As a friend often reminds me...you've got a mind, so make it up for your self:)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jmawds3 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned that 1200 may be too few calories? I'm not sure how much you weigh or how tall you are, but 1200 calories is just barely enough calories to survive everyday, especially with the addition of ANY exercise! Your metabolism may be slowing down. I'll echo everyone and say that diet soda isn't great for you, but it seems like your problems may be eating too little! Try upping your intake to 1400-1500 hundred for a few days and see what happens!

No, the OP would lose weight eating 1200 calories.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Ever since I've added diet pop to my diet I have not been able to lose weight-I have been at a 1200 calorie diet, and am strictly counting everything, there is no way possible i am going over my calorie intake. Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?

I drink 2 – 8 oz bottles of Diet Coke most days on a low-calorie intake. Not sure how much you are drinking, but moderate drinking hasn’t hurt me a bit (I’m currently down 164 lbs)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

My doctor says that she has consistently seen patients lose ten pounds simply by giving up diet soda. The chemicals in it seriously screw with your body.

What's your doctor's specific background in nutrition? For many, it's a single segment within a single class.

How is your doctor verifying that giving up diet soda is the only variable that these patients who lose weight altered in order to achieve that result? Is the doctor personally watching these patients 24/7 to verify that other food intake, and exercise output, remains at a constant to what it was when the patients were drinking diet soda?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm chugging a 2L of generic diet cola, mixed with a packet of knock-off Crystal Light flavouring powder.

Does this mean I'm going to die?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've lost 'round about 175 pounds, all the while drinking that stuff like it's going out of style. It's not the issue. Don't listen to the broscience and look for the real culprit instead.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I believe you may be having issues with losing weight but I don't believe that diet pop had anything to do with it whatsoever. I drink it daily. Oftentimes, I drink it with bourbon in it. I'm still losing weight. As others have said, look to WEIGHING your food. You are consuming more calories than you are burning somehow.
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I drink an ungodly amount of diet soda. My dentist would love me if I quit. Bad for my teeth, but hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit - 82 pounds down in a year and counting.
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Which chemicals are harmful and/or stop weight loss and what do they do to you exactly?

Greed chloride Lack of self control monoxide.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.

It's not the diet soda. Weight loss is not linear. You have not gained any appreciable muscle, if any, by playing ice hockey. You may well be retaining water in the muscle though if this is a new type of activity for you - which will be masking any loss.

I don't know who flagged this entirely useful and neutral post, but I'm just going to drop off this link to the explanation of when and how to use the flagging system in case someone needs to review it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10019264/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

^And that's my sixth flag for discussing and/or pointing out how to use the flag feature on these boards. Granted, this one was a little more passive aggressive than others, but it still doesn't fall under the guidelines of what the mods have asked us to flag.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I drink an ungodly amount of diet soda. My dentist would love me if I quit. Bad for my teeth, but hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit - 82 pounds down in a year and counting.

Which chemicals are harmful and/or stop weight loss and what do they do to you exactly?

Oh my gosh, this had me.....

14208278-the-abbreviation-lol-which-stands-for-laughing-out-loud-an-expression-seen-in-text-messages-and-emai.jpg

zzz.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    5db65a9fe98bd09957893e1eb8d48fea.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

af213f83b1a927ede165d89c632b1b99.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    dat dere insulin spike will get you every time
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    marie3221 wrote: »

Yes, that's already been posted and is not even relevant to the specifics of the OP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.

It's not the diet soda. Weight loss is not linear. You have not gained any appreciable muscle, if any, by playing ice hockey. You may well be retaining water in the muscle though if this is a new type of activity for you - which will be masking any loss.

I don't know who flagged this entirely useful and neutral post, but I'm just going to drop off this link to the explanation of when and how to use the flagging system in case someone needs to review it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10019264/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

^And that's my sixth flag for discussing and/or pointing out how to use the flag feature on these boards. Granted, this one was a little more passive aggressive than others, but it still doesn't fall under the guidelines of what the mods have asked us to flag.

I have 2 spam flags now - not sure what post the 2nd one is on. Plus another abuse one. This flag system is working great!!

lol....found it - its my post I mentioned I had a post flagged as spam.