Fed Up

Options

Replies

• marathon23
    marathon23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    marathon23 wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.

That's a good question actually, why are you surprised?

I have to get my day started. Have a good day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.

Well I am actually more blunt in RL and less nice... but :ohwell:

it's harder to speak in gifs in RL
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    wow. you really are new here if you think these responses are mean. lol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's a good question actually, why are you surprised?

I have to get my day started. Have a good day.

scarlett-flounces-out-o.gif
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar (and preservatives) in processed food may be startling. But even before this revelation, many, many years ago, I was in college with a girl who had a relative who was a food inspector. Learning that there are percentages of rodent feces and hair and bug parts that are in an "acceptable range" really put me off processed stuff. And, once I inquired to a major food label about what "natural flavoring" meant (I wanted to make sure that what I was ingesting was vegetarian) and they were unable to tell me. This was in writing. So............................sugar ain't the only thang to get worked up about, if you're looking for something to get worked up about, that is...
  • marathon23
    marathon23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Well I am actually more blunt in RL and less nice... but :ohwell:

I can appreciate bluntness and thank you for clearing up what was obviously my mistake. You are right, it is not a documentary. Thank you for the clear up. Have a good day.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Social decency aside, that Couric piece is still garbage for all the reasons tigersword listed.
    Any comment about their post?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Another "mean" thread? please oh please!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar (and preservatives) in processed food may be startling. But even before this revelation, many, many years ago, I was in college with a girl who had a relative who was a food inspector. Learning that there are percentages of rodent feces and hair and bug parts that are in an "acceptable range" really put me off processed stuff. And, once I inquired to a major food label about what "natural flavoring" meant (I wanted to make sure that what I was ingesting was vegetarian) and they were unable to tell me. This was in writing. So............................sugar ain't the only thang to get worked up about, if you're looking for something to get worked up about, that is...

Don't forget the amount of human faecal matter and urine found in bar snacks
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Katie Couric is also famous for scaring people into thinking the HPV vaccine will cause cancer and kill you, despite a study documented in the British Journal of Medicine that took into account almost 1 million doses of the vaccine and found absolutely no link to cancer.

Media sensationalism sells, and Katie Couric uses this to her advantage. Enjoy her shows, but I wouldn't trust her to tell me anything.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    What would you call it?

Fear Mongering.

Maybe fear mongering for those who aren't capable of watching something and determining what is the important take away from the the information given. If you are a logical person and can riffle through facts and emotional lead ons, then you will be fine and not fall prey to "fear mongering".

... Says the person who fell prey to fear mongering.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Why, pray tell, do you think there isn't rodent feces, insect parts, etc. in unprocessed food? Do you think the rats are trained to not *kitten* until food is processed?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    In for ensuing gifs, sugar is the devil, and toxic baking soda.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    OP- I am glad something inspired you to think about your health! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    What would you call it?

Fear Mongering.

Maybe fear mongering for those who aren't capable of watching something and determining what is the important take away from the the information given. If you are a logical person and can riffle through facts and emotional lead ons, then you will be fine and not fall prey to "fear mongering".

I'm with you in the idea that most of us can throw away the silly sensationalized stuff and consider any new information being presented. I don't want to turn this into a Dr. Oz thread but same for his show. Yes there is crap. Occasionally, an annoyingly large amount of crap. But not everything's crap. The promo for "Fed Up" says "Everything we've been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong." I have to say that doesn't entice me to watch it. That level of exaggeration means to me it may be difficult to pick out the stuff I want to consider.

I went to the "Facts" section of the website http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/about-the-issue?scrollTo=facts, and it seems reasonable, but couldn't find any information I can use in my own efforts to get slim and fit. I am not a soda drinker, and I already knew that sugar makes stuff tastes good so gets slipped into a lot of "processed foods". And my mother-in-law's turnips and carrots.

Marathon23, or anyone else who has seen this, what specifically was your takeaway? What, besides sugar content, has turned you off processed foods?
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP. I appreciate your post!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    What would you call it?

Fear Mongering.

I'm with you in the idea that most of us can throw away the silly sensationalized stuff and consider any new information being presented. I don't want to turn this into a Dr. Oz thread but same for his show. Yes there is crap. Occasionally, an annoyingly large amount of crap. But not everything's crap. The promo for "Fed Up" says "Everything we've been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong." I have to say that doesn't entice me to watch it. That level of exaggeration means to me it may be difficult to pick out the stuff I want to consider.

I went to the "Facts" section of the website http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/about-the-issue?scrollTo=facts, and it seems reasonable, but couldn't find any information I can use in my own efforts to get slim and fit. I am not a soda drinker, and I already knew that sugar makes stuff tastes good so gets slipped into a lot of "processed foods". And my mother-in-law's turnips and carrots.

Marathon23, or anyone else who has seen this, what specifically was your takeaway? What, besides sugar content, has turned you off processed foods?

hey.

I saw the documentary. Thought it was flawed in the first place, but not that bad overall, then it was explained to me several times what the issues with it are. Regardless, what I mostly took out of it (and there is a brilliant link somewhere addressing the issues with the film that also supports it) was that there is a load of education to do in terms of nutrition. The problem can't be solved with "cut all the fat" or "cut all the sugar", because that just leads to situations like in the movie (Which I really have to wonder if they were real or set up for dramatic effect) with obese kids trying to lose weight but still gorging on chips and fries.

Either that, or people starving themselves and eating only carrots because they think it's the only way to lose weight, thus being unable to maintain.