Is this true about butts?

Options
LoryBear
LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I've always had a full backside, but before that was because it was all butt-pudge. Never the less, it was still round but I wanted to see less cellulite and whatnot. I expected that eventually I'd end up with one of those big round butts that you see on instagram all the time, except I noticed mine was getting flatter and...Longer/rectangular? I started googling and I read in many places that the typical, pretty round butt that I always thought was achieved from exercise and good health
A butt like this:

image removed by staff

is purely genetic and just well-placed butt fat.

And that if you exercise your butt muscles, you're going to end up with a butt like this:

image removed by staff

I really hate having dents in the side of my butt. I know it's a sign of definition, but is it really not possible to make outer sides of my buttcheeks round? It's like a straight line from my waist to my mid thigh and I hate it. There's no curve on the sides whatsoever.

Replies

• katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Figures. I assumed the same thing, that a perfect butt was the result of exercise and good health. Don't worry, a fit butt is a sexy butt; it doesn't have to be completely perfect to be awesome :)
  • LoryBear
    Options
    Figures. I assumed the same thing, that a perfect butt was the result of exercise and good health. Don't worry, a fit butt is a sexy butt; it doesn't have to be completely perfect to be awesome :)

I guess. I just always had my heart set on having a butt like the first one. :'(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can't see your second picture.

That said, like most things in this vein, it's a mixture of the two. Genetics plays a large role but you can also improve upon what you have with the correct exercise/diet plan.

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would say mostly genetics, but this tumblr may give you hope (check the progress pics): http://fitnessforlife3.tumblr.com/

^ She says she eats around 2370 calories a day and 130g of protein, so you'd be eating at a caloric surplus to build-a-butt like that.
  • LoryBear
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cloudbustr wrote: »
    I would say mostly genetics, but this tumblr may give you hope (check the progress pics): http://fitnessforlife3.tumblr.com/

^ She says she eats around 2370 calories a day and 130g of protein, so you'd be eating at a caloric surplus to build-a-butt like that.

As much as I can appreciate her achievements, it doesn't really provide any hope for me, as a butt like hers would not look good on a girl like me. My thighs are far too muscular already and I would look overweight in anything but shorts.

Her muscles also seem to sit rather high. She even mentioned that somewhere, and mine sit low, even when flexed.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    LoryBear wrote: »
    cloudbustr wrote: »

As much as I can appreciate her achievements, it doesn't really provide any hope for me, as a butt like hers would not look good on a girl like me. My thighs are far too muscular already and I would look overweight in anything but shorts.

A butt like that needs some thicker thighs to look proportionate, otherwise one would end up looking like Nicki Minaj (obviousl implants)

Other than that, not sure what to tell you. lift weights to work on fine-tuning, loving and accepting your own butt shape, dents and all because you can't trade it for a someone else's. You are nowhere near overweight, or have "too muscular" thighs, going by your photos.
  • LoryBear
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Other than that, not sure what to tell you. lift weights to work on fine-tuning, loving and accepting your own butt shape, dents and all because you can't trade it for a someone else's. You are nowhere near overweight, or have "too muscular" thighs, going by your photos.

I'm just very thin on top with an abnormally big lower body compared to my top, hence why it doesn't look that way in the pictures. But if theres nothing I can do about the roundness of my butt, then oh well I guess.
  • Frase123
    Options
    What type of trianing are you doing for you butt? Have you tried walking lunges and squats to help build the roundness and also pek it up. If your not doing these two excercises give them a go, they may produce the results you are looking for.
  • LoryBear
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Frase123 wrote: »
    What type of trianing are you doing for you butt? Have you tried walking lunges and squats to help build the roundness and also pek it up. If your not doing these two excercises give them a go, they may produce the results you are looking for.

Yes I do those all the time. The problem is, I believe, that there is no actual side-butt muscle. Hence why most female athletes have a more masculine butt shape, longer and dented in at the sides. A typical round female butt with no definition has a lot more shape on the sides because of the fat. I don't think it's actually possible to build muscle on the sides of your butt, since there's nothing there to build up.
  • leanmuscleway
    leanmuscleway Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    True - glute muscles are more central rather than outer edges. However to have more impact on the outside of those muscles try squating light weight with 4 second negatives and sets of 8 reps (so each set is over 30 seconds of time under tension - 4 seconds down and 1 up) and really squeeze through your heels as if you are trying to force your legs apart on the negative movement.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I mean these are our glute muscles:

Glute-muscles.jpg

The roundness you want is from fat, yes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    so- perhaps you should stop comparing yourself to other people and just work hard on your own.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    and realize, that those on my side of the gender war, like a healthy butt.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You can always try a bulk phase to see if any fat goes to your butt.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and realize, that those on my side of the gender war, like a healthy butt.

I ride the line on preferences- I like nice *kitten*'s that look like they squat... then I like them more when I realize they ARE squat booties.

because yeah- anyone with a good squat- has a good azzzzzzzz

and seriously- why is *kitten* still a blurred word. FFS.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The curve you're referring to on the side from your waist to your thigh is determined entirely by your bone structure and whether or not you have wide hips. If you have narrow hips, it's going to be a straight line. In terms of the dent/definition, that is the result of low body fat + a lot of muscle. It's true that you have no control over how fat accumulates on your body. However, you can shape your butt by adding muscle. You do this by eating at a surplus while doing high intensity strength training focusing on the intended body parts. If you want to avoid getting the kind of definition needed to see "dents" on the side, then all you do is not worry so much about fat loss. You achieve that kind of definition by focusing on fat loss (eating at a deficit) after you've achieved the desired amount of muscle and then switching from deficit to maintenance when you see what you feel is the ideal amount of definition.

TL;DR: Eat at a surplus focusing on weight training. When you get the desired amount of muscle, switch to eating at a deficit so that the fat melts away to reveal your shiny new muscle. Switch to maintenance when you have achieved the ideal combination of muscle growth + fat loss.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit of both, really? As in, the shape is determined by genetics, but you can definitely up the looks by working out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to look like the second picture then don't let your body fat get that low. It's really quite simple.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The dents show up when flexing and at lower body fat.

A lot of these pictures of really round looking butts are enhanced by lordosis. A curving of the lower spine. Some people do it on purpose for posing for these pics and some have it naturally.

Lordosis.jpg

Do your strength training for the glutes to give it the musculature and then lower your body fat to where you feel comfortable. Anything beyond that is really up to genetics and is not worth stressing over.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'd buy a drink for the one on the right.