Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Replies

• hikecampgal
    hikecampgal Posts: 41 Member
    Pet peeves:

- co-workers who KNOW you're watching what you eat, then suddenly start bringing in all kinds of sinfully delicious, calorie-loaded goodies, repeatedly offer them to you, get offended when you don't eat the damn things, and have a hissy fit for the rest of the day/week.

- clicking on links to pics of someone who's lost 40 lbs, have dropped X number of sizes, and you can SEE the amazing difference in their bodies. I've lost 40 lbs and still look the same, still wear all the same clothes (slightly, slightly looser, that's it). No offence to these people, I wish I could BE like them, and I know it's because of my starting weight and height, but it's a peeve, just the same.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    nlcampnut wrote: »
    Pet peeves:

- co-workers who KNOW you're watching what you eat, then suddenly start bringing in all kinds of sinfully delicious, calorie-loaded goodies, repeatedly offer them to you, get offended when you don't eat the damn things, and have a hissy fit for the rest of the day/week.

- clicking on links to pics of someone who's lost 40 lbs, have dropped X number of sizes, and you can SEE the amazing difference in their bodies. I've lost 40 lbs and still look the same, still wear all the same clothes (slightly, slightly looser, that's it). No offence to these people, I wish I could BE like them, and I know it's because of my starting weight and height, but it's a peeve, just the same.

Congrats on losing 40 pounds! That is a major accomplishment.

I forgot to add fitness mags. For every good fish recipe or renegade row pictorial there's a million broscience blurbs. Articles on toning up without adding "bulky" muscle. Blanket recommendations of 2 pound-a-week 1200-calorie diets to lose your belly fat.

The fact that they have so many good articles just confuses the issue when they throw out bad advice or disproved science.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    my biggest pet peeve is my sister who is overweight, she is always posting these pics of women in bikinis saying how she "HOPES" to look like that one day,I tell her she needs to eat healthier and exercise plus some of the women you see,their bodies are that way due to their genes.she always complains that while she knows,she doesnt have time to exercise and wont give up food because she loves to eat. SMH,then a week later she says Im going to stop drinking soda so I can lose weight because,IM so fat.The next week she is happy with her weight and dont care what she looks like.I get tired of her whining and complaining yet, she doesnt want to take the first step.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,385 Member
    One is about myself. I really want to like lifting, I try to like it over and over, and I just don't, and I feel like a failure because I prefer my cardio so much more. Partially because it's gospel around here to LIFT. I keep trying though, I want muscles someday. In the meantime, my running allows me to lose weight.

The other is about those people who want applause every time they resist the EVIL FRIED CHICKEN or whatnot. If you want it, eat it, or eat it when you can work it in if you can't today. Unless you want to go without fried chicken forever (I wouldn't). I guess I don't understand the mindset.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    "Clean Eating" and how some people magically thing that the exact moment they starting "eating clean" they are suddenly more healthy than I am because I eat McDonalds regardless of the fact that they might be at an unhealthy weight and/or don't exercise.

Right! Or when people look at you and say "you can eat ice cream?" Why, yes, yes I can because I'm not lactose intolerant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jbee27 wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I hate when someone who is an adult says they don't want to drink water or eat something healthy because it's 'boring.'

You are not a toddler, you do not need sprinkles and purple food coloring on your chicken.

I don't drink water because it's exciting, I drink it because I need it. How empty is the rest of your life that you need exciting beverages daily?

haha, this is great! I think this every time I see a thread that says "I hate all vegetables". Really?? Grow up. Eat a damn vegetable.

Yeah, I have the same reaction. Or to the "I'm a super picky eater" threads. It's just something I don't have a lot of tolerance for (so I usually stay out of it).
  • colinacoco
    colinacoco Posts: 3 Member
    People that dont understand why you calorie count and mock it -_-

Seeing food i want to eat, (e.g chinese or even naan bread) then seeing the calories in it. That always stresses me

When weight loss slows down..
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Suggesting keto for literally every issue you have...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Speaking of wait staff...

What always bugged me when I used to bartend was if I was taking a lunch or dinner break and guests would pass by or approach me and make a comment about how "where's their food" because "they'd like to be able to eat too". Helllooo ask your server/bartender not someone who is obviously on break. I even had one really rude b*tch say I could "afford" to wait to eat dinner a little later which I'm guessing was a jab at my weight. I told her straight up "yeah see where that attitude gets you" so she complained to the manager and he reprimanded her for her rudeness HA!

Going by the "save our restaurant" shows, restaurant staff generally should not eat or take their breaks in view of paying customers. And it's on tv so it's true, right? ;)
  • LivyMarie93
    LivyMarie93 Posts: 134 Member
    When my family assumes I'm losing weight because I like someone. Also, when people tease me for using my wii fit once in a while. Hey, it's better than nothing and it burns a nice amount of calories if you're not really feeling up for an intensive workout.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Branstin wrote: »
    "I don't have time to exercise, count points, or calories."

Make time for good health or be forced to find time for illness.

Love your comeback, and so true.
  • maryseb63
    pap3rw1ngs wrote: »
    People thinking eating super low calories is a good idea (the less calories, the better, right?). I don't get why you wouldn't want to eat more calories, still lose weight at a good rate and have a better chance of keeping it off. And, you know, be healthy and strong rather than weak.

I love this one. I don't like telling people what they don't want to hear but just get me when I see this. If they ask my opinion on that I just reply that I would never be able to keep that up for a lifetime and this for me it's about a whole new lifestyle for life.
  • maryseb63
    How about the people who say you should stop losing weight or your are getting too skinny. Especially in my case when I am still right on the border of normal/overweight on the BMI charts for my height and weight.

I'm still at the border of obese/overweight after losing 100 lbs and I get that from most of my family. I try to be polite but it angers me so bad.

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2014
    miketoryan wrote: »
    my biggest weight loss pet peeve is when it is "negative" weight loss
    RHPS84 wrote: »
    "I can't afford healthy food." We are a family of 5 on one budget and we make it work.

i have a family of 4 on one budget but the "one budget" is 6 figures so I don't think the "one budget" thing really tells us anything.

Good for you guys
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Two things:

1. I've had multiple people tell me I'm "weak" for needing to eat every few hours. Um, great if you can subsist on one meal a day, but if I tried that I'd be horrifically hangry and then would pass out (for real). We're all different!

I used to be like that too. I have passed out a few times from not eating on schedule but I'm slowing working it out of me. I used to have to eat as soon as I woke up but I started pushing back breakfast little at a time and now I can fast about 12-13 hours (counting sleeping at night) before I start feeling hungry. Just saying if you wanted to you could train your body to last longer without food. Obviously whatever works for you is the way to go!

My need to eat is because of a medical blood sugar condition, so no "training" will help!

On that note..

Before I got my blood glucose under control I would often hear (from someone who was well aware of my hypoglycemia) "maybe if you would just push yourself harder during your workouts you would be able to lose weight." This was back when I couldn't do any activity for more than 20 minutes without my blood glucose dropping. So no, I wasn't able to push myself..unless I wanted to pass out.
  • blktngldhrt
    sheepotato wrote: »
    1. People who do not wipe equipment down when they are finished. I usually wipe before and after now but where's the common courtesy?

2. Being told I'm 'lucky' that I am 'able' to lose weight.

You're so lucky your body uses laws of thermodynamics. Mine doesn't. My body goes beyond all science and reason. My body is out of this world

my favorite comment of the day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

ugh, yes and you aren't allowed to correct them on here. it's against the rules.
  • blktngldhrt
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

ugh, yes and you aren't allowed to correct them on here. it's against the rules.

Yes..loose.

I'm kind of glad it's against the rules to correct grammar. It keeps me from being an a..hole in that regard.
  • maryseb63
    I've read about 5 pages of this thread, very interesting. I'm not sure if this pet peeve has been said but one of mine is people that put themselves down. Calling themselves pigs, fatso, all those terms. I have been up to 275 lbs and have never called myself anything like that. I find that is not loving yourself and that is a very important thing. I loved myself, big, thin or inbetween. Also, it seems that you assume that bigger people are not worthy. We all have health issues but name calling and fat shaming will not help anyone.
  • maryseb63
    people thinking they know better for my body than I do (outside of my medical team)

Thinking chronic illness/ pain is an excuse

Oh and the "that's impossible" crew who truly believe that they are 100% right 100% of the time

I like the chronic illness/pain excuse. Sometimes the weight issues are causing the chronice issues :). And for the pain issue, weight usually helps it out too.